Saints Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Winmar selection surely a carrot for him. No way will he play.

Steven deserves it.

Smith is ready.

Surely only one of Kosi or Stanley.

How the f*** Dempster retained his spot has me absolutely arsed.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Jack wii definately play ( trained very strongly ). Don't be surprised if they pull a rabbit out of their arse and name cuz as the sub!!
Remember where you heard it first

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

On reflection, I agree.

Winmar sub.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of who they pick you can never make every fan happy. But this is a pretty good squad. And it represents a nice compromise between change and steady as she goes. 

Some on here have called for a mass injection of youth and want to see Lynch, Johnson and even Siposs added to the names of Steven, Smith, Stanley & Winmar. But with 2 rounds gone we are only 6 points off the top team and it is far too early to panic and potentially ruin our chances for 2011.

Some people like to look back at the Hawthorn game in Tassie in 2009 as some sort of proof that you can make mass changes. But as others have pointed out, we actually brought in a few experienced players that day. If we were to bring in a whole heap of kids this week, and combine them with experienced senior players, we would almost guarantee a loss to Essendon and that would be a disaster heading into the bye. This squad gives us our best chance to get 4 points on Sunday. 

Blake has been dropped and Baker won't play - 2 players who have their detractors mainly due to their age and their limitations. There's no Mini and no elevation of Eddy. And a few young guys have been brought in to calculations.

To me there's something there for everyone and we should really be able to have a decent crack at what has, in recent times, become one of our bogey sides.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Seem to remember Kosi starting a few games very well last year.
Would make an interesting sub jumping over everyone and sneaking forward in the last qtr.....

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

MadSaintFan wrote:Dont see why Jones would be selected as a substitute. Subs should be x-factor players that have the ability to influence games eg. krakour, jack grimes etc. Dont see how Jonesy impacts games other than defensively.
Must agree, thought that Peake was a brilliant choice to break the game open, but we may need his pace for longer than a quarter v Dons. Stanley could be a good impact player as a sub, or even Kozi, no better way to get match fitness than to play a quarter or two full tilt!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Winmar selection surely a carrot for him. No way will he play.

Herald Sun have jumped on the name; no story just used the lovely pic

The Saints have lost Lenny Hayes to a season-ending knee injury and Steven Baker to a foot problem, and dropped defender Jason Blake.

Blake has played the past 71 consecutive games and will miss a senior match for the first time since Round 7, 2008.

St Kilda included forwards Justin Koschitzke and Adam Schneider, plus four youngsters with a combined 16 games to their name.

Jack Steven (21, nine games) has been named on a half-forward flank, while Rhys Stanley (21, seven games), Winmar (19, zero games) and midfielder Alistair Smith (20, zero games) are on an extended interchange bench along with Koschitzke, Schneider, Clinton Jones and Ryan Gamble.

Saints will cut the bench to four tomorrow, but the selections are a major departure from coach Ross Lyon's policy of the past three seasons.

Winmar, the No.32 pick in the 2009 national draft, is second cousin of club legend Nicky, who played 230 games and kicked 283 goals from 1987-98.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6035564129

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dempster can have one bad day can't he Matrix, he had been in good form in his more recent games.

His efficiency was down (55%) but it was better than other bigger names like Joey (36%) and Gilbert (53%)

....and agree with others, Wimar was supposed to have been in really good form prior to last week.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

so does this mean the Gilbert forward experiment is done and dusted?

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is getting alot of carrots then, isn't this the third time he has been named now, though admittedly as an emergency prior.

I reckon

Out Hayes Baker Jones Blake
In Schneider Steven Winmar Smith

Archer is still in the squad, so I can't see Kosi playing?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:How the f*** Dempster retained his spot has me absolutely arsed.
Preferred to Blake obviously. He'd want to lift as Blake has been a very reliable and solid player for quite a few years.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:so does this mean the Gilbert forward experiment is done and dusted?
I certainly hope not, considering how well our forward line functioned with him up there early last week and how many other options we have down back.
It was always likely to take some time for him to adjust to the role and he hasn't been given anywhere near enough time to do so.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Dont see why Jones would be selected as a substitute. Subs should be x-factor players that have the ability to influence games eg. krakour, jack grimes etc. Dont see how Jonesy impacts games other than defensively.
Disagree...better value that the sub is just an injury back-up, and then if no injuries to spell one player.

If a player is good enough to really influence a game then surely you want him playing most of the game...and not just a quarter.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:so does this mean the Gilbert forward experiment is done and dusted?
Did LOTS of set goal shots at training. Was the first one out with Jack

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

Herald Sun have jumped on the name; no story just used the lovely pic

The Saints have lost Lenny Hayes to a season-ending knee injury and Steven Baker to a foot problem, and dropped defender Jason Blake.

Blake has played the past 71 consecutive games and will miss a senior match for the first time since Round 7, 2008.

St Kilda included forwards Justin Koschitzke and Adam Schneider, plus four youngsters with a combined 16 games to their name.

Jack Steven (21, nine games) has been named on a half-forward flank, while Rhys Stanley (21, seven games), Winmar (19, zero games) and midfielder Alistair Smith (20, zero games) are on an extended interchange bench along with Koschitzke, Schneider, Clinton Jones and Ryan Gamble.

Saints will cut the bench to four tomorrow, but the selections are a major departure from coach Ross Lyon's policy of the past three seasons.

Winmar, the No.32 pick in the 2009 national draft, is second cousin of club legend Nicky, who played 230 games and kicked 283 goals from 1987-98.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6035564129
Typical Hun, no idea what they're talking about. Nicky's name is Neil Elvis Winmar. The boy on our list now is Nicholas Winmar. Where does the Nicky "Elvis" Winmar crap come from?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
Did LOTS of set goal shots at training. Was the first one out with Jack
Good to hear. To me it seems it's all about confidence with him. It may be that all he needs is one good game up there, where he slots a couple and then he'd be away.
I reckon confidence and patience is all that's holding him back.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Typical Hun, no idea what they're talking about. Nicky's name is Neil Elvis Winmar. The boy on our list now is Nicholas Winmar. Where does the Nicky "Elvis" Winmar crap come from?
It comes from ignorance.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Dempster can have one bad day can't he Matrix, he had been in good form in his more recent games.

His efficiency was down (55%) but it was better than other bigger names like Joey (36%) and Gilbert (53%)

....and agree with others, Wimar was supposed to have been in really good form prior to last week.
Efficiency percentage, what a load of cobras! Get the ball and use it.

Anyone know the efficiency percentages of the '66 Grand Final? I thought not.

realdeal
Club Player

matrix wrote:so two backman out and lynch had a great game down back in the vfl and doesnt get the nod???
winmar did bugger all and stanley didnt set the world on fire
we already had 2 backmen too many.. this evens it out

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Dempster can have one bad day can't he Matrix, he had been in good form in his more recent games.

You're in a good mood tonight Bernie :wink:

I only brought it up because everyone said he butchered the ball, like that is exclusive to him right now.

realdeal
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Regardless of who they pick you can never make every fan happy. But this is a pretty good squad. And it represents a nice compromise between change and steady as she goes. 

Some on here have called for a mass injection of youth and want to see Lynch, Johnson and even Siposs added to the names of Steven, Smith, Stanley & Winmar. But with 2 rounds gone we are only 6 points off the top team and it is far too early to panic and potentially ruin our chances for 2011.

Some people like to look back at the Hawthorn game in Tassie in 2009 as some sort of proof that you can make mass changes. But as others have pointed out, we actually brought in a few experienced players that day. If we were to bring in a whole heap of kids this week, and combine them with experienced senior players, we would almost guarantee a loss to Essendon and that would be a disaster heading into the bye. This squad gives us our best chance to get 4 points on Sunday. 

Blake has been dropped and Baker won't play - 2 players who have their detractors mainly due to their age and their limitations. There's no Mini and no elevation of Eddy. And a few young guys have been brought in to calculations.

To me there's something there for everyone and we should really be able to have a decent crack at what has, in recent times, become one of our bogey sides.

+1

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

You're in a good mood tonight Bernie :wink:

I only brought it up because everyone said he butchered the ball, like that is exclusive to him right now.
Efficiency percentages are a pet hate. They mean nothing unless taken in the context of the game, which they are not.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Now Blakes out of the team I suppose we need a scapegoat

Dempster seems to be this years model.

Poor old Raph will be feeling sad he has lost his spot.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Now Blakes out of the team I suppose we need a scapegoat

Dempster seems to be this years model.

Poor old Raph will be feeling sad he has lost his spot.
What about Grammy?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Got to be honest, dont like Archer and dempster playing but hey I will back the coaches know a hell of a lot more than me. Side doesnt inspire me at all with them in it. looks like Kosi doesnt play.