At what point does the official re-build begin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

At what point does the official re-build begin?

Round 5? 10? What do you think? When will Ross state that 2011 is no longer salvageable?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

From today... bring in heaps of kids and give them 10 or 15 games under their belt, finish in the bottom 4 and get some early picks then reload for a full speed assault on the flag in 2012!

If Lyon resists he should hand the reins to Harves and walk away.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:From today... bring in heaps of kids and give them 10 or 15 games under their belt, finish in the bottom 4 and get some early picks then reload for a full speed assault on the flag in 2012!

Imstarting to think same.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will say it again and obviously it is only my opinion but once we start rebuilding please expect 6-8 years of pain so stick with us. I will be.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

in about 15 mins

:?:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:From today... bring in heaps of kids and give them 10 or 15 games under their belt, finish in the bottom 4 and get some early picks then reload for a full speed assault on the flag in 2012!

Looked that way to me...but RL knows there's no need to bottom out...Sydney never have.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:in about 15 mins
Nah, about half way through the second quarter.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

NOW

Season is over

no more pussyfooting or pretending

play the kids, no need wasting time and space, this team isn't going to win a premiership this year, be lucky to make the 8 so why bother

had our chances and had no luck when we needed it

time to GET REAL

trade Gram at the end of the year if anyone is stupid enough to want him

delist Dempster, Peake, Gamble, McQualter for starters

Blake and Baker should retire now, give them a send off game

play the kids and play all of them

give them games, fast track them and when Lenny is back next year hopefully we will have some young goers who can RUN and KICK

which is what we need desperately

Smith was a real positive, about the only one

the rebuild needs to happen NOW

while there are still some decent players to build around

widereceiver
Club Player

Banger is a club champion - I'm not sure his history as a player qualifies him to coach Auskick.

His effort with our midfield being smashed every week is a bit of a worry don't you think?

Don't you - think?

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Richter
SS Life Member

We played differently in the second half. The change has already started.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I will say it again and obviously it is only my opinion but once we start rebuilding please expect 6-8 years of pain so stick with us. I will be.
Pies did it in 5

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I will say it again and obviously it is only my opinion but once we start rebuilding please expect 6-8 years of pain so stick with us. I will be.
Pies did it in 5
They werent built on a core of 6-8 superstars like us. They have carried us for 5 years.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Pies did it in 5
They werent built on a core of 6-8 superstars like us. They have carried us for 5 years.
Are they having a rest now?
We have 3 superstars, 5 very good players, 4 players finished and about 10 role players.

NoMore
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Pies did it in 5
Yes they were.

02/03 was on the back of
Buckley
Licuria
Burns
Rocca
Presti
Lockeyar

Luckily for them they had some kids play in those grandfinals that helped provide the nucleus of the next premiership tilt.

Unlucky for us no kids have played in our finals series so when we next have a tilt at a flage there will be little finals experience left

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Pies did it in 5
Yes they were.

02/03 was on the back of
Buckley
Licuria
Burns
Rocca
Presti
Lockeyar

Luckily for them they had some kids play in those grandfinals that helped provide the nucleus of the next premiership tilt.

Unlucky for us no kids have played in our finals series so when we next have a tilt at a flage there will be little finals experience left
So they had 2 great players in Burns and Bucks. What is your point about the other guys?

NoMore
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
NoMore wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Pies did it in 5
Yes they were.

02/03 was on the back of
Buckley
Licuria
Burns
Rocca
Presti
Lockeyar

So they had 2 great players in Burns and Bucks. What is your point about the other guys?
Reiwolt
Goddard
No Hayes at the moment. Who are our great players

noob
Club Player

Haven't used the tanks for a long time

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
NoMore wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Pies did it in 5
Yes they were.

02/03 was on the back of
Buckley
Licuria
Burns
Rocca
Presti
Lockeyar

Reiwolt
Goddard
No Hayes at the moment. Who are our great players
Was I talking this year only. Dont think so. Joey 2 AA, Dal 3rd in brownlow, Fisher 1 AA. Compared to your names Pies players they were great.

NoMore
Club Player

How are Joey and Fisher going this year

add Clements to there list of stars. You will find when u compare the teams we may have just beaten them but they had alot of kids in those sides some that went on and some that didn't

But it was built around a core of 6-10 players much like us

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:How are Joey and Fisher going this year

add Clements to there list of stars. You will find when u compare the teams we may have just beaten them but they had alot of kids in those sides some that went on and some that didn't

But it was built around a core of 6-10 players much like us
Can you read. I never mentioned this year.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

We are right on the precipice at the moment. Could very easily go either way.
The game plan is very clearly changing, so that's going to take time to take effect, but the question is more about the energy and attitude that's shown in the meantime. If we continue to be lacklustre and put in sub-par efforts, then it's got to immediately be the end for the likes of Bakes, Gardi, Blake, Dempster, etc. and it will be, as Barks said, time to play pretty much all of the "kids", to get them experienced enough for a crack at it again when Lenny comes back next year.
I don't believe we have to wait years and years to be in a position to have another go at it. We dropped off in 2006, but were right up there again in 2008 and I believe we could do it even faster this time, as those who will be departing this year are only in our "bottom 10", not "top 10".
On the other hand, if there's a major turn-around after the bye and our new, more attacking style starts to click quickly and we find the balance between attack and defence quickly, we're still a chance this year, although it is remote.
We need to turn this around very very quickly, or else the re-build needs to begin immediately.
Liked what I saw from Smith and Stanley, tonight and it's time for Gamble to go and be replaced by Lynch, who surely wouldn't do any less. Lynch could also replace Dempster, who tries hard, but just doesn't seem to be good for anything but playing a negative role.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
NoMore
Club Player

sorry fair point
Ok Lenny is great and i love him and i will get how down for this but i think reiwolt is the only difference between the sides

Lenny = Burns
Goddard = Buckley
Fisher = Cloke
Dal and Joey are just midfielders. Every GF team has them

Munga
Saintsational Legend

This year aint the year to tank with GWS snaggin all the picks.
We'd need a bit of luck to make top four now. 5th to 8th still a good chance if we pull the finger out.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Trunch
Club Player

Although I as shattered as anyone that this team could not win a premiership in the past few years I am also very proud. We have had a good run with this group in terms of finals played. As sad as I am to say it, I think this team has gone as far as it can. Ross has wrung even last ounce of talent and ability out of this team and we came up short. No shame in that. There have been many teams in the past that have fallen short. Football is not always fair.

As we look to the future I hope that Ross wishes to continue on as senior coach and that the club can hold firm and back him in. Stability is a corner stone to success in football. This St Kilda side has a Collingwood of 02-04 feel about it. After loosing two Grand Finals they had the strength and faith to stick with Michael Malthouse and let him rebuild a team that reached that ultimate goal. If Ross wants the role I believe he is the man.

I think it’s obvious to say that future St Kilda teams need a more even spread of players. Our history is filled with superstars and brownlow medalists but only one premiership.

I will always be a passionate St Kilda person and I will remain a member for all my days I’m sure. I just hope the club learns from our past and backs in our coach.

Looking forward to seeing what our young players have over the course of the year and hope to see a few more first gamers.

GO SAINTS.

Remain educated on the game, stay loyal to St.Kilda
Birdman
Club Player

Trunch wrote:Although I as shattered as anyone that this team could not win a premiership in the past few years I am also very proud. We have had a good run with this group in terms of finals played. As sad as I am to say it, I think this team has gone as far as it can. Ross has wrung even last ounce of talent and ability out of this team and we came up short. No shame in that. There have been many teams in the past that have fallen short. Football is not always fair.

As we look to the future I hope that Ross wishes to continue on as senior coach and that the club can hold firm and back him in. Stability is a corner stone to success in football. This St Kilda side has a Collingwood of 02-04 feel about it. After loosing two Grand Finals they had the strength and faith to stick with Michael Malthouse and let him rebuild a team that reached that ultimate goal. If Ross wants the role I believe he is the man.

I think it’s obvious to say that future St Kilda teams need a more even spread of players. Our history is filled with superstars and brownlow medalists but only one premiership.

I will always be a passionate St Kilda person and I will remain a member for all my days I’m sure. I just hope the club learns from our past and backs in our coach.

Looking forward to seeing what our young players have over the course of the year and hope to see a few more first gamers.

GO SAINTS.
Absolutely this