We Were Gone Last Year Too, Remember?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Lost to Brisbane in Round 1. Lions finished 11th.
Beat Port by a point in Tassie when Motlop missed a gettable shot to give them a win. Port finished 10th.
Gave up a 17 point lead late in the last quarter to get beaten by North in Round 3.

We finished fourth and won our first final in Adelaide.

Lost at home to Hawthorn who finished second last.
Smashed by 97 points by the Lions who finished 8th
Beat Collingwood, who finished outside the 8
Smashed by Sydney in Round 4
Beaten by Freo who finished 12th in Round 5

We finished the season on top.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Were Gone Last Year Too, Remember?

Johnny Member wrote:Round 4 we just beat Freo and leaked nearly 100 points at Docklands.

Got rolled by Port the following week in the worst performance we'd seen for a couple of years.

Stole a win from the Bulldogs in one of the great escapes of the modern era in R6 (scores 46-49).

Pumped by 10 goals by Carlton the next week.

Beaten by Essendon the week after.

We were gone. Cactus. Worked out. Too slow. Too old. Too reliable on one guy etc. etc.

We'd only played 3 decent games (the Swans game in R1 was barely decent) in the first 8.5 games of the season!

I think there's still a pulse this year.

I'm not ready to turn off the life support machine just yet!
Couldn't agree more.

Long season. Supposedly the GF is won in April??

It'll take us a little while to make up a loss such as Hayes and tinker with a few other things that could make us quite unpredictable for the opposition. I'm still optimistic that our 2011 season can get back on track.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I also heard people kidding themselves in the nab cup......

Would you like to hear the beginning of some poor seasons to balance the argument.....

We will Be pushing sh*t uphill to make the 8 after missing out on 6 points we should have 'banked'.......

Really.....look at the real indicators.......not stats from previous years which have zero bearing on 2011....

Will we finish ahead of

Collingwood, hawthorn, essendon, bulldogs, geelong, carlton, adelaide, sydney, freo......not so sure

We are better than

Port, melbourne, rich, bris, GC, nth, WCE

We will be mid of the road imo

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:
Would you like to hear the beginning of some poor seasons to balance the argument.....
I'll start you off.

Brisbane 2010 won the first four games.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Who are we kidding we are the worst team ever fielded in the AFL. We should play the Sandy reserves and ditch the rest and trade anyone that looks half good to Collingwood. I for one am utterly sick of anyone who pretends there is any point in going on. Launceston Saints anyone, we should swap the license for a slab and go down for a nostalgia trip to Moorabbin and remember the good old days. We should get Plugger back, he could play while holding a ciggie in one hand and a can in the other and he would have kicked the umpires in the face ....when is every one going to get a grip, we have started badly we may end badly, just try to enjoy what you can of the season. If you want guaranteed success Manchester United might be a better fit.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Re: We Were Gone Last Year Too, Remember?

Johnny Member wrote:Round 4 we just beat Freo and leaked nearly 100 points at Docklands.

Got rolled by Port the following week in the worst performance we'd seen for a couple of years.

Stole a win from the Bulldogs in one of the great escapes of the modern era in R6 (scores 46-49).

Pumped by 10 goals by Carlton the next week.

Beaten by Essendon the week after.

We were gone. Cactus. Worked out. Too slow. Too old. Too reliable on one guy etc. etc.

We'd only played 3 decent games (the Swans game in R1 was barely decent) in the first 8.5 games of the season!

I think there's still a pulse this year.

I'm not ready to turn off the life support machine just yet!
yes that's all well and good and i applaud your optimism.

However we weren't good enough last year, and comparing this year to last year is just saying we are in for more of the same.

At best.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The only thing i get out of us declining is it may FORCE Ross to regenerate
the team with players he wouldn't normally promote and leave them in the team and let them get a feel for AFL football...

If he falls for the safe option of the HONEST players then at some point going forward we well feel the familiar thud when we hit rock bottom....

Big test at the end of this year for Elshaugh re his ability as a recruiter...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Point of order, we did not lose to Freo in Round 4 last year.
Goddard played forward and played a great game with 5 goals.
It was great win with no Roo and no Kosi.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Loyally Numbed
Club Player

The on field performances may not be anything to get exited about, but, off field there is room for optimism.

I've been a St. Kilda fan for a long time, but I can't remember being so impressed by the administration as I am now, matter of fact, I can't say I have ever been impressed by a Saints administration, prior to this one.

The new headquarters are more than just a building, it's a statement of cultural change.

It's statement that says, to me, that we are no longer content to be one of the 'strugglers'.

I was born in 1959 and have followed the Saints ever since I can remember, and one of the things that always bugged me, throughout the VFL years was the sense that we were never meant to be 'up there', the 'losing culture', whatever it was called, it was palpable at times, it was almost an excuse. "hey, we're St Kilda, we did allright".

I feel with the current admin, they are aware of this, and are making the necessary changes to force the club into a new 'culture' of professionalism.

So, even if we have a bad year or two, the fundamentals are being put in place, so that , hopefully, we won't slide into those 'decades of devastation', that Saints fans of that era had to bear.

I feel that there's reason to be optimistic, this is a very important fundamental to get in place, and it seems to be happening. IMO

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:The on field performances may not be anything to get exited about, but, off field there is room for optimism.

I've been a St. Kilda fan for a long time, but I can't remember being so impressed by the administration as I am now, matter of fact, I can't say I have ever been impressed by a Saints administration, prior to this one.

The new headquarters are more than just a building, it's a statement of cultural change.

It's statement that says, to me, that we are no longer content to be one of the 'strugglers'.

I was born in 1959 and have followed the Saints ever since I can remember, and one of the things that always bugged me, throughout the VFL years was the sense that we were never meant to be 'up there', the 'losing culture', whatever it was called, it was palpable at times, it was almost an excuse. "hey, we're St Kilda, we did allright".

I feel with the current admin, they are aware of this, and are making the necessary changes to force the club into a new 'culture' of professionalism.

So, even if we have a bad year or two, the fundamentals are being put in place, so that , hopefully, we won't slide into those 'decades of devastation', that Saints fans of that era had to bear.

I feel that there's reason to be optimistic, this is a very important fundamental to get in place, and it seems to be happening. IMO
Like :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Like :)
+1 (or is that 2? :?)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
SainterK wrote:Like :)
+1 (or is that 2? :?)
+ another :)

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:The on field performances may not be anything to get exited about, but, off field there is room for optimism.

You're being sarcastic, right?

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

barks4eva wrote: You're being sarcastic, right?
No. I'm not.

I can remember being so angry and in such despair when St. Kilda lost to Hawthorn in 1971, that I cried like a baby.

After that, with a few exceptions, it was all downhill until the early 2000's !

There HAS to be more to it than just luck or bad players.

I would have loved winning the GF's in 09 and 10, of course, but I didn't EXPECT it, I wasn't even that upset about it , that, I believe, is what the 'bad years' have done to me.

It's not exaggerating to say that all these years of supporting the Saints have left some deep emotional wounds, there has to be some cultural element in the mix, and it needs to change, and it seems to be acknowledged by the new admin, by their actions.

This admin is far from perfect, but the direction that they are going in is badly needed in my opinion, and gives me hope for the future.

If we spend another 20 years in the wilderness, I might not see the Saints win another premiership, I was too young too appreciate the first one, and that would not be acceptable.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Loyally Numbed wrote:
I am glad you expanded your admin statement with a timeline, because you are right in that it was the previous admin that turned things around.

Seeya
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
I am glad you expanded your admin statement with a timeline, because you are right in that it was the previous admin that turned things around.
Yes but again let's not forget that the previous admin was also responsible for the appointing of a rookie coach Grant Thomas and allowing him to control the whole football department after we had reaped the biggest draft bonanza in VFL/AFL history!

This one single decision cost us premierships!

Even Clarkson with a mini draft bonanza won a flag three to four years later.

Look at all the team lists for 2004, 2005, we had far and above the best list going at the time.

Our kids coming through were Riewoldt, Kossie, Ball, Goddard, Montagna, Dal Santo etc...etc...

a 100 goal full forward in Gehrig, hard bodies like Hamill, Powell,

and many experienced players including Harvey and Hayes

the flags were there for the taking as the biggest draft bonanza in AFL history kicked in after three to four years

training services, football department mismanagement, zero tactics etc...etc...

one man in control, learning on the job, cost us

We needed an experienced coach or a very astute one like the one we have now and we would have creamed it.

At least the previous administration eventually got it right, got serious and got us back on path only to then be kicked out and replaced by surrender monkeys and a clown sold on a white elephant and the architect for this lunacy ( was also responsible for pissing off the Moorabbin council with his hot headedness and quick temper ), after the move to Kananook Creek without a paddle then ups and leaves a couple of months later!

The dice had been cast and a vacant lot moved the club to a vacant lot in the backblocks of Seaford, which will eventually been seen as a massive mistake and see the club go backwards!

By 2016 we will be close to the bottom of the ladder and struggling to attract 30,000 members, with free agency we will lose players and not be able to entice stars to our club in part due to where the club is located!

The previous administration were actively trying to locate the club close to St kilda at the time they were replaced by clown Westaway and his surrender monkeys.

Seaford is a c**k up off monumental proportions!

Bury your heads in the sand but if you want a FAIR DINKUM clue, I just gave you one!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nobody can be gone at Rd 4, as much as nobody can be certainities for the flag.

GSG
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
At least the previous administration eventually got it right, got serious and got us back on path only to then be kicked out and replaced by surrender monkeys and a clown sold on a white elephant and the architect for this lunacy ( was also responsible for pissing off the Moorabbin council with his hot headedness and quick temper ), after the move to Kananook Creek without a paddle then ups and leaves a couple of months later!

The dice had been cast and a vacant lot moved the club to a vacant lot in the backblocks of Seaford, which will eventually been seen as a massive mistake and see the club go backwards!

By 2016 we will be close to the bottom of the ladder and struggling to attract 30,000 members, with free agency we will lose players and not be able to entice stars to our club in part due to where the club is located!

The previous administration were actively trying to locate the club close to St kilda at the time they were replaced by clown Westaway and his surrender monkeys.

Seaford is a c**k up off monumental proportions!

Bury your heads in the sand but if you want a FAIR DINKUM clue, I just gave you one!

Just a few facts. On the Monash/East Link, Seaford is a mere 30 minutes away from the city. The new facilities are literally a stone throw away from the freeway. Remember, the players do not travel during peak hours and if they did, they’d go against the traffic. So I cannot see distance being a problem!! Do you really think all players live within 5 min from their training facilities!! You must be dreaming. Essendon players living in the city or north of the city would have a tougher time to get to Essendon.
As Shane Wakelin in a recent article said … after Collingwood lost the second GF, they simply could not get their act together and ended up 13th. So it doesn’t just happen to St. Kilda.
Another thing, this administration managed to get the biggest net profit so far in the Saints’ history, and is committed to get the debt incurred from the new training facilities, down as quickly as possible.
Also we had some pretty good years, with 6 preliminary finals, 2 GF (I don’t class the third one as a legitimate GF, as it happened in the same year). Over the last five years, we won way more games than we lost. Ross Lyon has (I think) a 62% win ratio, which is one of the better ones in AFL. I know we didn’t get the chocolates, and I have no answer to this.
We may head towards leaner years, but this is simply the normal cycle.
And another thing. When James Hird took over as coach of Essendon, how many times did I read and hear that it will be hard for him because his list is pretty ordinary. Look at them now!!

So get a grip on yourself!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin v Seaford

GT v RL

Old Admin v New Admin

Old Jumper v New Jumper

Not everything we wish for is possible. I enjoy what we have; not despair about what we don't have.

I'm just glad that in 2011 I am able to follow a team named St Kilda, that is known as the Saints, that is based in Melbourne and that wears a combination of Red, White & Black.

As someone who has followed the club through the dark times of the 70s and early 80s (as I'm sure many others on here did also) that is not something that always seemed likely.

The fact that we are now a competitive outfit; that we have played in finals; that we have challenged for flags; that we have a solid membership base - well that's all a bonus.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Moorabbin v Seaford

GT v RL

Old Admin v New Admin

Old Jumper v New Jumper

Not everything we wish for is possible. I enjoy what we have; not despair about what we don't have.

I'm just glad that in 2011 I am able to follow a team named St Kilda, that is known as the Saints, that is based in Melbourne and that wears a combination of Red, White & Black.

As someone who has followed the club through the dark times of the 70s and early 80s (as I'm sure many others on here did also) that is not something that always seemed likely.

The fact that we are now a competitive outfit; that we have played in finals; that we have challenged for flags; that we have a solid membership base - well that's all a bonus.
Great Post !

That's exactly how I feel, we may be down but the club is in a healthier state than it's ever been IMHO.

This is something that is not being considered by all the doom and gloomers 'round here, a strong club will pull through these times quicker.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't be sucked in by media hype, it is only early in the season, but as last year's runners-up, we should have at least put Richmond and Geelong away, but I am not at all impressed with players like Roo and Goddard hanging their heads and going through the motions- these are the guys who need to show leadership from Round 1 and haven't, and there's no excuse for that. Lenny goes down and it seems there's a bit of sooky la-la from those blokes.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

disappointing in that we were supposedly going to be more attacking this year and it's a flop so far. by attempting to add this new element to our game we've been shown up as one dimensional and unchangeable and predictable. last year when Roo went down we changed for the better after a few games, and then became predictable again when Roo came back. perhaps with Lenny out the forced change will bring change for the better (but on a larger scale). in my opinion successful teams play to their strengths (individually and collectively) and to an extent allow that to define the style of football played, and that's what we've done the last two years embodied by Lenny Hayes. If we attempt to abandon that approach Saints Footy (as a style and identity) will be lost. Geelong continue to play to their strenghts and win games of football. McQualter has been good for the club as he was all about pressure and defense and mental toughness. by attempting to expand our game style/plan, players weaknesses can be exposed. hopefully the new coaches are ideally positioned to manage the introduction of the new players, with RL managing Saints Footy ensuring that it is not lost, which got us to two grand finals. hope this makes sense; essentially I'm optimistic when change, as it is at the moment, is forced on us. as long as we allow players to play to their strengths, and as a result the team collectively playing to its strengths.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
jays
Club Player

this is very true what about 2008