Ross Lyon overrated or underrated?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

He's probably being a bit underrated on this forum ATM, but in the past he has definitely been overrated by some on here, the same guys who have massively underrated (and unjustly heaped s*** on) GT.

All coaches at all clubs are either overrated or underrated by fans, who exaggerate the coach's significance in the scheme of things. Performing well in the AFL is very much a team effort in every sense: the basic strength and stability at the Cats (and the immense common sense being demonstrated so far by their new coach) has served them well.

The Saints have had a massive amount of disruption since the end of 2010. And crucial assistant coaches have gone, and I believe their absence is visible in our on-field set up and performance.

We can't reasonably blame Lyon for much of this.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:He's probably being a bit underrated on this forum ATM, but in the past he has definitely been overrated by some on here, the same guys who have massively underrated (and unjustly heaped s*** on) GT.

All coaches at all clubs are either overrated or underrated by fans, who exaggerate the coach's significance in the scheme of things. Performing well in the AFL is very much a team effort in every sense: the basic strength and stability at the Cats (and the immense common sense being demonstrated so far by their new coach) has served them well.

The Saints have had a massive amount of disruption since the end of 2010. And crucial assistant coaches have gone, and I believe their absence is visible in our on-field set up and performance.

valid comments.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: The Saints have had a massive amount of disruption since the end of 2010. And crucial assistant coaches have gone, and I believe their absence is visible in our on-field set up and performance.

I've heard coaches blamed for all types of things over the years!

It's a bit like being a policitian I think. If you endear yourself to the fans (and the media), you'll become the victim in many situations that arise.

If you don't endear yourself, you'll be the reason for all situations!!

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon overrated or underrated?

SENsaintsational wrote:Is Ross Lyon overrated as a coach?

I see our glass as being half empty and our team on the verge of requiring a full blown rebuild. It seems everyone else recognised this the summer but not Ross. Our game plan hasn't really changed. Our personnel hasn't really changed. We are relying on the same handful of stars and the same GOP cattle to get us across the line.

Unfortunately, other clubs have passed us by. How can Geelong have reinvented themselves so quickly? Does Ross have it in him to change our fortunes so quickly?

Surely the AFL's tactical genius should be able to do this, should he not?

The next month will certainly tell an interesting tale.
Everything you say here is exactly how I see it. It seems he was great at getting the best out of what he had at the time but now seems stuck and doesn't know where to go from here.

The keeping possession holding up play chipping around thing is now useless and the fast moving attacking straight up the corridore game is belting us.

I also don't rate his judgement in players either it seems he doesn't know when to cut some of these bottom end players and try someone else he just keeps going with them every week and they drag us down.

We knew we needed to get at least a couple of good positions filled over the pre season to be able to take it up to Collingwood and we did NOTHING.

Even Collingwood Improved themselves again by getting Tarrant and Krakouer even though I don't think Krakouer is worth a pinch of crap but they still make an effort to try to Improve while we sit back and think we can just keep going again and again with what we've got.

IMO If nothing changes well into this season we should go for Malthouse
(even though I never thought I would ever say that).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:If getting out of the slump merely means becoming 'Ok', then it's not really worth coming out of it!
This is where I differ to most, apart from the Dons game, I thought we have already been travelling at OK.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:He's probably being a bit underrated on this forum ATM, but in the past he has definitely been overrated by some on here, the same guys who have massively underrated (and unjustly heaped s*** on) GT.

Does the high turnover of assistant coaches come back to the head coach? Is he difficult to work with/for?

I will offer an answer to that one ....yes....and so he should be. He should be demanding the best of himself and all those around him.

But still, the question needs to be asked.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How many assistant coaches did we actually get rid of last year?

Eklshaugh resigned over personal issues
SOS stayed on an extra year after wanting to slow down at the end of 2010
Tudor was poached - he got an offer we couldn't match

So who exactly did we get rid if (other than Drain and Peake apparently)?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Game plans must evolve....if they dont the become dated and defunct

If ross has not worked on the game plan over summer.....he should be sacked....

But i reckon he did[/list]

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The problem could be we just don't have enough quality cattle to cope with the way the better opposition have developed and improved Lyon's game plan..

Our lack of skill and pace gets shown up more and more often and Lyon's insistence on reverting back to the tried and failed stifles development.We now have the biggest development coaching staff we have ever had but it's questionable how many AFL standard players they have to work with.

The 4 year apprenticeship theory is outdated,no wonder McClure said if you get drafted by St Kilda you get stuck in the reserves and rot....

Lyon needs to evolve but the recruiters need to improve by an even bigger increment....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PJ
SS Life Member

Rating people is always going to be subjective - judge him on his results when he leaves the club not in the middle.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

No plan B - Go now.
The stuff being served up in 2011 is embarrassing. The coach takes the blame.
Life is so fickle. A couple of kicks to advantage and Lyon would be seen as a duel premiership coach. Instead we may well see him as a defensive obsessive. Such a shame.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we went backwards under Ross. Then we had the Tudor era. Now he's gone and we've fallen way off the pace.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:we went backwards under Ross. Then we had the Tudor era. Now he's gone and we've fallen way off the pace.
WTF? how did we go backwards with Ross? :roll:

How do normal people even get that thought in their head?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

might add - the guys really lifted near the end of 2008 - played their hearts out to give harvs one last shot at a flag.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Where is this Tudor you speak of? I am sold he is our new messiah and I feel we should follow him...

wraiyth
Club Player

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0
Don't criticise the coach or this will happen to you.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

wraiyth wrote:http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0
Nah but we should do the famous St Kilda sack the coach when the going gets tough. I mean thats done us wonders in the past :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
wraiyth
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0
Nah but we should do the famous St Kilda sack the coach when the going gets tough. I mean thats done us wonders in the past :roll:
I never said sack the coach. I said that RL is reluctant to make change and likes to stick to 'the system' even when it clearly doesn't work. Tonight is proof of that, and this season so far is proof of that.