Riewoldt theory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Riewoldt's best position has always been on the wing. Out of necessity he has become and been quite a good power forward in his career but his probably the greatest wingman to never play his true position.

In the Grant Thomas era when we had numerous strong forward options, Roo would push up onto the wing and we would just destroy teams... It really shows what a great footballer he is that he can play just about any position on the ground.

I agree that his attitude to tackling and chasing has certainly increased as well.
Rooy's best position is on the forward line. 5 B&F suggest that plus a few AA suggests that. On the forward line he is elite runner and very good below his knees. On the wing he is an average runner and average below his knees. At the moment he may be required to play further up the ground but if we are ever going to make the finals again with Rooy in our side he will be required to play mainly in the forward line. In case people forget Rooy played forward in the last 2 years and we made the GF both times.
Unfortunately, Roo has made no impact in our GFs- beaten by his direct opponent. This is the time we do a few different things, as it will benefit the team down the track. If a team becomes predicatable, the opposition works it out eventually.
You are right about his GF's but he has got us over the line in many cut throat finals as a forward. It may be better for the team that Rooy plays further up the ground at the moment but for someone to say wing is his best position really makes me wonder. Where is there any proof of that where as there is proof Rooy has be an out and out champion as a forward.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Riewoldt's best position has always been on the wing. Out of necessity he has become and been quite a good power forward in his career but his probably the greatest wingman to never play his true position.

In the Grant Thomas era when we had numerous strong forward options, Roo would push up onto the wing and we would just destroy teams... It really shows what a great footballer he is that he can play just about any position on the ground.

I agree that his attitude to tackling and chasing has certainly increased as well.
Rooy's best position is on the forward line. 5 B&F suggest that plus a few AA suggests that. On the forward line he is elite runner and very good below his knees. On the wing he is an average runner and average below his knees. At the moment he may be required to play further up the ground but if we are ever going to make the finals again with Rooy in our side he will be required to play mainly in the forward line. In case people forget Rooy played forward in the last 2 years and we made the GF both times.
Unfortunately, Roo has made no impact in our GFs- beaten by his direct opponent. This is the time we do a few different things, as it will benefit the team down the track. If a team becomes predicatable, the opposition works it out eventually.
You are right about his GF's but he has got us over the line in many cut throat finals as a forward. It may be better for the team that Rooy plays further up the ground at the moment but for someone to say wing is his best position really makes me wonder. Where is there any proof of that where as there is proof Rooy has be an out and out champion as a forward.
He didn't need to be an out-and-out champion on Saturday, and I'm sure Mick will be watching that carefully. Roo hasn't performed in his customary role against the Pies, and I think he may be better off further up the ground moving forward...he'll always lurk as a threat and a link to the other forwards, instead of being the conduit. Isn't that how the Tigers got the best out of Richo?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He didn't need to be an out-and-out champion on Saturday, and I'm sure Mick will be watching that carefully. Roo hasn't performed in his customary role against the Pies, and I think he may be better off further up the ground moving forward...he'll always lurk as a threat and a link to the other forwards, instead of being the conduit. Isn't that how the Tigers got the best out of Richo?
I am not discussing how it is working for the team. It may or may not work for the team and he may or may not play on the wing this week. I was argueing why I think Rooy's best position is in the forward line.
By the way I think Rooy will play at least 50% inside the 50 this week.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I am not discussing how it is working for the team. It may or may not work for the team and he may or may not play on the wing this week. I was argueing why I think Rooy's best position is in the forward line.
By the way I think Rooy will play at least 50% inside the 50 this week.
How's that fence post...comfy?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Roo can run all day. He is the perfect link between forward and back given he's so strong above his head and opponents worry constantly about him. If he drifted across the middle of the ground all day he would just about dictate the way the game is being played, which then opens up other avenues to bring the ball through transit.

Personally when the guy gets over 30, I expect him to drop 5 - 10 kilos and play this position permanently. Why don't you go ask Rooey where he'd ideally like to play.

Matthew Richardson and Rooey are extremely similar players, Richo played one season as a wingman and almost won the Brownlow. Lost by a vote if I recall.

If we had more cattle up forward Roo would float around the middle of the ground and chew up and spit out opponents all day long.

If he's to play as a forward now, I don't like seeing him lead up to the ball anymore... It's slow ball movement and everyone knows what St.Kilda are trying to do. I'd like to see the mids run the ball through a line or two like they did on the weekend with Rooey leading towards goal more often than him leading up to the ball... pagans paddock style. Kick it over his head to the space. He'd be just about unstoppable and it's harder to get 3 defenders to the contest like most do now if you move the ball like that.

As I said in my other comment it just shows what a gun the guy is that he can play just about any position on the ground....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Roo can run all day. He is the perfect link between forward and back given he's so strong above his head and opponents worry constantly about him. If he drifted across the middle of the ground all day he would just about dictate the way the game is being played, which then opens up other avenues to bring the ball through transit.

Personally when the guy gets over 30, I expect him to drop 5 - 10 kilos and play this position permanently. Why don't you go ask Rooey where he'd ideally like to play.

Matthew Richardson and Rooey are extremely similar players, Richo played one season as a wingman and almost won the Brownlow. Lost by a vote if I recall.

If we had more cattle up forward Roo would float around the middle of the ground and chew up and spit out opponents all day long.

If he's to play as a forward now, I don't like seeing him lead up to the ball anymore... It's slow ball movement and everyone knows what St.Kilda are trying to do. I'd like to see the mids run the ball through a line or two like they did on the weekend with Rooey leading towards goal more often than him leading up to the ball... pagans paddock style. Kick it over his head to the space. He'd be just about unstoppable and it's harder to get 3 defenders to the contest like most do now if you move the ball like that.

As I said in my other comment it just shows what a gun the guy is that he can play just about any position on the ground....
Firsty I dont need to ask Rooy where he would want to play. His answer would be where the team need me. In private his answer would be CHF. As for losing 5-10 Kgs, well that would be stupid because it wouldnt allow him to play anywhere but as a winger type person. And yes Rooy can run all day but so can every wingman in the AFL so that advantage that he has as a forward is now gone.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose......

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You're right he did but just because he pushed up the ground to take those marks did make him a wingman like say, Joffa, Geoff Ablett, Barnham, Keith Grieg or Dippa etc. That position along with positions such as CHB are now little a obsolete, or for the moment anyway. I have to agree with Plugger but Roo will need to play further up the ground when the need arises but that does not make him a wingman per se.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.