Options for Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Plugger

On one hand armitage is too slow for tje middle......but is quick enough to apply pressure fwd....So strange

Reminds me a lot of the better pressure fwds in the comp......with so many chase downs and pressure acts.....hmmm

David has one real strength.....contested ball, particularly at stoppages...
His ability to crack in at stoppages is his asset
Other strengths include, ability to find the odd goal by getting fwd from the middle and hitting opposition players hard

Not sure chasing is his forte....nor is marking
He doesnt get clear clearances though. Jack does. That is nt as important in the forward line because the ball is at least in your half. He obviously is the best option in the forward line for what RL wants to do with the forward line. And there is contested ball forward of the centre. I think he got 3 clearances last week in those situations.

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Who is the defensive fwd at collingwood, carlton, hawthorn, geelong???

Or do tjey just ask the actual fwds to tackle occasionally....

The notion is the most ridiculous idea in footy......
Those clubs have attacking smalls who can be defensive. Sorry but we dont have one as such so that is why Armo is used there. Do you understand the game at all. By the way Osbourne plays a defensive role at Hawthorn.
Brent Macaffer played the second Grand Final last year as a defensive forward. Who won that game again?
Dont know. Never seen the end of it.
and probably never hear the end of it

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:On second thought I think Cripps should come in (if fit enough) for Armo. Still think Walsh for Blake. A more offensive option and I dont think it will impact on our defensive set up too much if at all. Blake has been in and out a bit throughout the season. I like Cripps' speed in the forward line....
agree with all of that.

I also worry bout the speed of Blake down back against a Blues fwd half that has some run/spring...Walsh provides some versatility to go back/fwd if need be..

no chance though.

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

okay i haven't seen him in the flesh, but hasn't walsh been taught the defensive side of the game down back for sandy. and hasn't he also shown goal scoring ability up forward.
he is big, but isn't he just as fast and agile as armo? can he tackle? can he win the loose ball? can he win the hard ball?
if yes then isn't he the perfect replacement?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Options for Armo

plugger66 wrote:Do we go taller in the forward line where Armo is playing and play the messiah or do we bring in Cripps as sub and play Geary as a defensive forward. Cant see many other options.
i'd be completely unsurprised to see bakes come in, as this is a pseudo-final and he's a hard body who always gives maximum effort. and he's been emergency for seven of the last nine rounds. i don't think it would be the right selection - it would also leave blake as sub again, because bakes just can't be sub - but it would be understandable.

i don't think a tall (walsh) can come in because carlton are a quick side and that leaves us too exposed to a midfield injury, and out of balance generally. there are very few fit mediums or smalls who've actually played this year. siposs and cripps are just a week or two back from injury so would be a risk. only two real other options:

- smith played a few earlier in the year but seems to have been a fair way away since then. still, he's the right size and could play as sub.
- gamble has been emergency since dropping out of the side and could be an option as sub, but he messes with the structure a bit as a medium.

my preference is smith, second preference bakes, third preference gamble.

PJ
SS Life Member

Which mids have been named in the best at Sandy lately - Curren?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Which mids have been named in the best at Sandy lately - Curren?
And Curren's a rookie.

Not much there apart from Smith :(

PJ
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
PJ wrote:Which mids have been named in the best at Sandy lately - Curren?
And Curren's a rookie.

Not much there apart from Smith :(
Surely with our list of season ending injuries there's room for an upgrade

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Cripple for me.

Other option is Baker if he is prepared to take a few out.
Tell me you honestly are joking reagrding Baker.
Serious re Baker. Dunno if he can do it though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If Baker deliberately took a few out it would be a disgrace. Why would he want to finish his career like that. You can bet Lynch would take all that rubbish back again. Bakes has done a few stupid things and also been unlucky a few times but I doubt the would want to take anyone out and been known a complete thug.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If Baker deliberately took a few out it would be a disgrace. Why would he want to finish his career like that. You can bet Lynch would take all that rubbish back again. Bakes has done a few stupid things and also been unlucky a few times but I doubt the would want to take anyone out and been known a complete thug.
Every time it's mentioned to Lynch he looks genuinely and absolutely shattered at what he tried to do.

Total regret IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Some Irish fella i think :wink:

Go saints in '09!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Interesting topic.

Personally it comes down to three players

Gamble, walsh and cripps.

Gamble gves us a extra forward to replace armo, walsh allows us to stretch the blues backline and perhaps throws a x factor into the finals. Cripps is a super sub but might not have enough run in his body

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If Baker deliberately took out a few players I believe that we would see the first footy player charged with assault.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:If Baker deliberately took out a few players I believe that we would see the first footy player charged with assault.
Leigh Matthews has already been charged.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:If Baker deliberately took out a few players I believe that we would see the first footy player charged with assault.
Leigh Matthews has already been charged.
Didnt know that. If anyone were to I would have thought Hall would from the Staker incident.

To the top
SS Life Member

The list of players available is as I listed - and there are a range of options accordingly.

In response to someone taking umbrage at my view that Geary is not up to AFL football (and particularly in a side still in contention come finals time), I just do not think he brings any more than he always has and that is not enough.

He is probably a good VFL footballer - at best.

What I do agree with is this nonsense over having to have a "defensive forward".

Each player is responsible for putting defensive pressure, including chase pressure, on.

Some do it better than others because of size - eg Koschitzke at 197cm will not chase down a fleet footed 180cm player - but he will position to deny space.

We rely on Peake for the "forward pressure" because of his foot speed, something our other small attacking players - such as particularly Milne - do not have.

Milne will baulk and weave, but he will not out run. This is why he is often found short when venturing to the mid-field, as he was last Saturday night.

The "small forwards" from the other sides do have good pace - and use that pace to harrass when they do not have the ball.

We do not have that luxury with Milne and Schnieder, who are both body and positioning players without good defensive chase skills because they lack pace.

It is unfortunate that 3 players we look to see plenty of in the future, being Sippos, Cripps and Ledger, have had injury interruptions, particularly as both Ledger and Cripps bring that leg speed to our attack.

2012 will be very interesting in regards the progress of these 3 - and who they put pressure on for a game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Any way to knock Milne is a good way for some. Milne has had just about the same tackles per game as Peake and Schneider is even higher. They average juat on 2 an d half tackles each per game. Its just that one player, Milne is again one of our leading goal kickers. This time he actually is our leader and some, well one, think he should be out of the side.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The list of players available is as I listed - and there are a range of options accordingly.

In response to someone taking umbrage at my view that Geary is not up to AFL football (and particularly in a side still in contention come finals time), I just do not think he brings any more than he always has and that is not enough.

He is probably a good VFL footballer - at best.

What I do agree with is this nonsense over having to have a "defensive forward".

Each player is responsible for putting defensive pressure, including chase pressure, on.

Some do it better than others because of size - eg Koschitzke at 197cm will not chase down a fleet footed 180cm player - but he will position to deny space.

We rely on Peake for the "forward pressure" because of his foot speed, something our other small attacking players - such as particularly Milne - do not have.

Milne will baulk and weave, but he will not out run. This is why he is often found short when venturing to the mid-field, as he was last Saturday night.

The "small forwards" from the other sides do have good pace - and use that pace to harrass when they do not have the ball.

We do not have that luxury with Milne and Schnieder, who are both body and positioning players without good defensive chase skills because they lack pace.

It is unfortunate that 3 players we look to see plenty of in the future, being Sippos, Cripps and Ledger, have had injury interruptions, particularly as both Ledger and Cripps bring that leg speed to our attack.

2012 will be very interesting in regards the progress of these 3 - and who they put pressure on for a game.
That's fine, Geary hasn't proven too much yet, he's doing alright,
But who do you actually think comes in for Armitage and Geary?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You think......or are you sure????

What do you think his best position is??? Not what is ross lyons position...have an opinion of your own for once....

If ross believes armo's best position is hf..... He is about as right as when he selected eddy or dempster there in grand finals....

And i disagree with the quality of stevens centre clearances....jacks mo with a centre clearance is to be on the fly towards the opposition goal and snap the ball over his left shoulder.....he wins it clean....uses it not so clean

Armo often is stationary and due to this has to accelerate and often gets caught, which results in a seconday bounce..... saturday he got away and hit a fwd from the bounce and got the handball back and missed the goal

There are benefits to each strategy...

Steven....if he gets possesion, will always win a clean clearance, but as it is harder to hit a player on the fly, he may only get hit 20% of the time...need a dominant ruckman....and is often a roll of the dice.......
Judd, ablett, swan, cotchin, cooney, dal, pavlich, goodes, kerr....style
Very effective for quality

Armitage....easier to Hit but harder to win a clean clearance as he is a lot easier to tackle, but.....also easier to defend if opponent wins the ball
Mitchell, tuck, watson, black, selwood, cross.....style
Very good for quantity

Armitage definatelty hits in harder than

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Has the above poster ever heard of a quote button. Does anyone know who he is asking the question to? Anyone. If it is you he is asking the question of, please answer him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dont use it....nothing more annoying.

Why do we have to reread the same posts in thread quotes for page after page....worst aspect of the forum

Now look back at your posts in the thread......did you use the word 'think' .... If so, it is probably you i refer to....

Nice quick reply as usual......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dont use it....nothing more annoying.

Why do we have to reread the same posts in thread quotes for page after page....worst aspect of the forum

Now look back at your posts in the thread......did you use the word 'think' .... If so, it is probably you i refer to....

Nice quick reply as usual......
The funny thing is you mention spelling. Again it sums you up. Even though I mispelt something so did you but you still bring it up. Still have no idea who your previous post was directed too. Looked at the last few posts on this page and saw nothing. Nothing more annoying than posters arrogantly thinking people know what they are on about without using the quote button.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

.??????

Not sure your on the right track there...

"i think he got three clearances that way......"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:.??????

Not sure your on the right track there...

"i think he got three clearances that way......"
Must be me you are writing to there as I wrote that. And I stand by Armo getting 3 clearances that way. Can you even slightly explain what is wrong with that.