Riewoldt to Full Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt to Full Forward

I pushed this barrow in summer last year and was met with howls of protest from the usual change resisitant culprits.

Why oh why would you move the worlds best CHF from his preferred position they bawled and wah wah wah.

Ill tell you why - He has dodgy hammies and bunged knees and if you want him to stick around for a few years longer you cant possibly expect him to travel the distances and maintain the endurance base that he has done in the past. If he does his demise will be short and brutal.

If I was coach Id want him to stay closer to goal and do more damage with less of the ball and covering less ground.

Id introduce him to the new conditioning coach and tell him as much as it sucks - I want you doing squats, cleans and leg press and some good old fashioned bench press. Bullk him up a bit with less focus on endurance running.

Id then say to Walsh and Stanley - ok lads - enough faffing around - your apprenticeships are officially over. I expect you to be taking responsibility as senior players now. So step the f*ck up because you are going to be covering a lot of ground as key pivots around the CHF position.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dodgy hammys, dodgy knee, hasn't exactly got a big ass and isn't particularly brick like in stature. But you are going to sit him in a goal square and expect him to outmuscle any full back when he got smashed this year and is unable to outmuscle most players playing his old role.

I'd be happier to move him to CHB as opposed to FF in the goalsquare... and thats a stretch. He has a shockin year, he's a champ and probably played with so many injuries that he was only operating at 70% anyway. Let him play his role I say.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Would release Goddard forward.

Always wanted to do that. Got in before the rest of you!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He basically plays FF and CHF anyway. he cant just be stuck at FF if we are getting beaten. There are hardly any set positions anymore. He will rotate through the forward line as every other key forward does now.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt to Full Forward

Con Gorozidis wrote:I pushed this barrow in summer last year and was met with howls of protest from the usual change resisitant culprits.

Why oh why would you move the worlds best CHF from his preferred position they bawled and wah wah wah.

Ill tell you why - He has dodgy hammies and bunged knees and if you want him to stick around for a few years longer you cant possibly expect him to travel the distances and maintain the endurance base that he has done in the past. If he does his demise will be short and brutal.

If I was coach Id want him to stay closer to goal and do more damage with less of the ball and covering less ground.

Id introduce him to the new conditioning coach and tell him as much as it sucks - I want you doing squats, cleans and leg press and some good old fashioned bench press. Bullk him up a bit with less focus on endurance running.

Id then say to Walsh and Stanley - ok lads - enough faffing around - your apprenticeships are officially over. I expect you to be taking responsibility as senior players now. So step the f*ck up because you are going to be covering a lot of ground as key pivots around the CHF position.
I thought he had been playing FF for most of the year. The traditional FF role is obsolete anyway.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He basically plays FF and CHF anyway. he cant just be stuck at FF if we are getting beaten. There are hardly any set positions anymore. He will rotate through the forward line as every other key forward does now.

Yep.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Dodgy hammys, dodgy knee, hasn't exactly got a big ass and isn't particularly brick like in stature. But you are going to sit him in a goal square and expect him to outmuscle any full back when he got smashed this year and is unable to outmuscle most players playing his old role.

I'd be happier to move him to CHB as opposed to FF in the goalsquare... and thats a stretch. He has a shockin year, he's a champ and probably played with so many injuries that he was only operating at 70% anyway. Let him play his role I say.
ok hes finished then.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He basically plays FF and CHF anyway. he cant just be stuck at FF if we are getting beaten. There are hardly any set positions anymore. He will rotate through the forward line as every other key forward does now.
Im talking about adjusting his training and body shape.
cos he cant keep doing what hes doing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Why would he want to do that? He is 28 years old, do you really think his body shape can change and the last thing he would want with his injuries is more weight even if it could.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Why would he want to do that? He is 28 years old, do you really think his body shape can change and the last thing he would want with his injuries is more weight even if it could.
There's no reason why he can't change his training and balk up over summer. Increase his strength training.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Ick wrote:Dodgy hammys, dodgy knee, hasn't exactly got a big ass and isn't particularly brick like in stature. But you are going to sit him in a goal square and expect him to outmuscle any full back when he got smashed this year and is unable to outmuscle most players playing his old role.

ok hes finished then.
What? What are you smoking champ?

Strength through Loyalty
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
There's no reason why he can't change his training and balk up over summer. Increase his strength training.
How is Zac's body shap going? Kosi lost weight because of injury and the pace of the game. There is no way Rooy probably could but definately would want to put on any weight. It is fanciful stuff.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Agreed, he is a gut-running, leaping, leading forward. To change his body shape at the age of 28, trying to turn him into a Travis Cloke mould (I'd assume) would be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on this forum.

Strength through Loyalty
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
ok plugs. lets just keep everything the same then.
see where that gets us. yes id have him heavier - but covering substantially less km's.
he cant keep up the endurance/running work. its obviously having massive wear and tear on him.
so if u want to keep him as the same player - expect him to break down.
if u want to keep the same weight - but also lose endurance then he will be no good.
so i am suggesting something different to prolong his career.
if u think his body is going to magically heal and he can keep up his endurance work u are dreaming. remember its not about how he plays on the weekend - its about the millions of miles he has to cover at training to play that kind of game.

and yes - of course his body shape can change... what planet are you on?
how many millions of examples of people altering their body shapes through weight training would you like me to present to you?

Alistair Lynch comes to mind (among a million others in all sports and all walks of life). Alistair was a young gazelle but after being struck down by CFS changed his training regime and body sheap dramatically to bulk up and ended up playing to ripe old age.

I know you hate change of any kind plugs.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 27 Sep 2011 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Agree move him to FF but leave his body shape as is. Also tell him he is not to lead outside the 50m arc because too often the ball turns over quickly and we have nobody home.

Wouldn't mind having a look at him at CHB in the pre-season games. May just takE some of the pressure off him mentally. Can always move back to FF When you need to put some pressure on the oppositions backline

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

in my day forwards kicked goals.
nick up forward is a liability, unless taking opponents away from our main target - which we don't have.
hope this year was the odd one out, and he comes good. but not confident.
would prefer him on the wing.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
ok plugs. lets just keep everything the same then.
see where that gets us. yes id have him heavier - but covering substantially less km's.
he cant keep up the endurance/running work. its obviously having massive wear and tear on him.
so if u want to keep him as the same player - expect him to break down.
if u want to keep the same weight - but also lose endurance then he will be no good.
so i am suggesting something different to prolong his career.
if u think his body is going to magically heal and he can keep up his endurance work u are dreaming. remember its not about how he plays on the weekend - its about the millions of miles he has to cover at training to play that kind of game.

and yes - of course his body shape can change... what planet are you on?
how many millions of examples of people altering their body shapes through weight training would you like me to present to you?

Alistair Lynch comes to mind (among a million others in all sports and all walks of life). Alistair was a young gazelle but after being struck down by CFS changed his training regime and body sheap dramatically to bulk up and ended up playing to ripe old age.

I know you hate change of any kind plugs.
I dont hate change at all. I cant stand calls like it is easy to put on weight. I said what about Zac before. Just ignoring that. Also weight isnt going to help his knee one little bit. Rooy may well play more at FF next year but it will be at the same weight as it is now.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick has added 17kg since he debuted.......enough weight.....

What he needs is better delivery and structure....and i think he is a much better CHF than full forward.....use his main strength, which is what???
Not being hemmed inside 30m being double teamed

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:What he needs is better delivery and structure....and i think he is a much better CHF than full forward.....use his main strength, which is what???
Not being hemmed inside 30m being double teamed
Don't often agree with you BM but couldn't agree with you more.

Strength through Loyalty
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Of course he is a better chf. But he needs to adjust to less running at training.

His days of running a million miles are over. They are just not coming back

So either he transforms himself into someone who can play inside 50 or he just hangs em up. There will be no miracle recoveries .

Stian
Club Player

Why shouldn't we condsider playing him in a role like Goodes or Matty Richardson (at the end of his career)? Something like a ruck-rover.

No, seriously. Why not?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Of course he is a better chf. But he needs to adjust to less running at training.

His days of running a million miles are over. They are just not coming back

So either he transforms himself into someone who can play inside 50 or he just hangs em up. There will be no miracle recoveries .
Thanks Dr Con. How do know all of that?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:Why shouldn't we condsider playing him in a role like Goodes or Matty Richardson (at the end of his career)? Something like a ruck-rover.

No, seriously. Why not?
Average skills and not great below his knees.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stian
Club Player

I'm not sure that it is the running that is his problem - more likely the constant battering of tunnelling and triple-teaming that is destabilising him when he is playingnear goal.

I would rather see him run relatively free of a tag and deliver to the forwards from about the centre. (He is a good and accurate kick from that distance when on the move.)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Agree. Would release Goddard forward.

Always wanted to do that. Got in before the rest of you!
New coach new positions

Goddard should become the half forward and reiwoldt FF