VFL watchers -Rhys Stanley?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:How well are most other 200+cm guys going after 3 years?
Jumps about a foot higher than the other rucks in VFL that I have seen. He is training hard ATM and looking forward to next season as the past was a write off.
I am backing him in for a big one in 2012.
i think most people on here think he has talent but were disappointed by his last season. After the sprint win he had a great NAB series and looked a gun. Impatience kicks in with all players with high expectations- Goddard copped it for a few years. He should kick into gear and go at some point I hope it is this next season.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he can play
step up rhys 8-)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Needs to put his head down now, 2012 will be his 4th year on the list and he'll be 21 in exactly one month. Big blokes take longer to develop, but Rhys is running out of time. He needs to impose himself on the VFL this year at least.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saints21

should get more of a chance under watters . had a poor season but i think he will be a good player in the future . should play forward and pinch hit in the ruck , will be crucial if mac or kozi get injured

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Big players take longer.......at 21 running out of time???

saints21

will know more after an extended run in the seniors . really he should b aiming to lock down a spot in the best 22 next year. running out of time? i dont think so, we dont have much depth when it comes tall fwds and ruck so maybe have no choice but to keep developing him.... unless we draft some freak talls this year that go past him.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Big players take longer.......at 21 running out of time???
Showed nothing when he has played and has just had a terrible year in the VFL, yeah he is running out of time.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
linz
Club Player

It's up to him now. Attitude & determination will always defeat superior physical attributes.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

The new development Academy should do wonders for Stanley by him gaining confidence in his fitness instead of worrying about tweaking his hammys every time he's on the ground.
The development coaches should play a huge part in his fitness and confidence over the pre season. That being the case, we should see a vast improvement in him, and others as well, in 2012.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

lefty
Club Player

How can anyone here expect Stanley to have been really good last year with his continuous hamstring problems which ended up having surgery on...?

You cannot be fit if you keep pulling hammy's every two/three weeks. Give him a break, just needs a full pre-season and to be injury free.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saints21 wrote:will know more after an extended run in the seniors . really he should b aiming to lock down a spot in the best 22 next year. running out of time? i dont think so, we dont have much depth when it comes tall fwds and ruck so maybe have no choice but to keep developing him.... unless we draft some freak talls this year that go past him.
Why would a bloke who struggles to get a kick at Sandy get an extended run in the seniors? Some people have no idea and don't play the injuries card.

saints21

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saints21 wrote:will know more after an extended run in the seniors . really he should b aiming to lock down a spot in the best 22 next year. running out of time? i dont think so, we dont have much depth when it comes tall fwds and ruck so maybe have no choice but to keep developing him.... unless we draft some freak talls this year that go past him.
Why would a bloke who struggles to get a kick at Sandy get an extended run in the seniors? Some people have no idea and don't play the injuries card.
i wouldnt gift him a game , but if he busted his arse at training and vfl and deserved it i'd love to see him get a shot

Ross who?
Club Player

Hamstring isn't that bad. Last year was the first time he has done one. First time he did it the medicos said "it's a strain - 3 weeks rest"
Came back and TORE it. Scans confirmed this and that it had a small tear the first time! Full rehab and a conservative approach saw him available for the last 1 or 2 VFL games. Due to the season basically gone, decided to hold him back.
Hammy is now 100%. Rhys now doing full off season program of running.(25 laps at various speeds)
From an injury perspective- He is Good to Go! :D

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saints21 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
i wouldnt gift him a game , but if he busted his arse at training and vfl and deserved it i'd love to see him get a shot
I would love to see him knuckle down and establish himself a regular spot in the 22.