When do we discuss the elephant in the room?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
HSVKing wrote:I was more concerned about who rode in on it...

nice skills…!
Goddamnit. Where'd it go? And it's on my work computer too, so won't be able to re-upload it until tomorrow!

They walk amongst us...

battye
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan, you are entitled to believe that but it is misguided. I have access to the website FTP (the files and indirectly the database) and a webhosting control panel (essentially some basic statistics and email settings). That doesn't mean I have control over the server; I can't predict when faults will occur and as I am not the server administrator I have no way of contributing to the restoration of the service when they do. My hands were tied, all I can do is tell the webhost what needs to be done (because God knows they have no idea) and keep pressing them until they do it.

This webhost has never been great, we can all agree on that. But until the atrocious downtime earlier this year they were probably at least adequate. We had already signed up for this year by that point.

The next step from here is to prepare for a shift in host. I believe the situation with the current webhost is now untenable. I was speaking to Mr Magic just before this suspension about another webhosting drive; what I was looking at was a GoDaddy package for about $30 a month (roughly what we are paying now). The difference is GoDaddy are an established company with a good reputation. The experience I've had with them in the past has been good.

When we change hosts it's not going to be easy, as I've mentioned a few times Saintsational has a very large database. I'll need to do a dry run (on my computer) to make sure I can extract the entire database and convert it - as if it's on my computer then it is the ideal time to upgrade the forum software. It's a process that takes time, so there's a good chance that during the shift a couple of days or more of posts will be lost but unfortunately there is no way around that. At least it is the off-season.

So over the next 2 months or so that is my aim, to get the site shifted to a new host and upgrade the software simultaneously. In the coming days I will write a post about the webhosting drive (any donation is welcome like last time, but certainly not compulsory or anything like that as we want to keep the site open to everyone as it has always been) which Mr Magic has kindly agreed to handle again :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok ok
enough excuses
our fault your fault hosts fault pluggers fault
whatever
its time to cut these monkeys loose and bite the bullet

for the size of this place (members and threads etc) you could easily get out and into something bigger better and more up to date with all the files and threads transferred over
theres a few peeps past and present about around here and in spin off places that have been created from SS that could do this and even have companies that they own.

the question of help and what peeps can offer asked in a thread (can continue via pm) is past due i reckon

for every single person that donates one dollar gets a say/vote on direction maybe
this few peeps that control the lot stuff is all good until it shites itself/or coin is needed

i love this place like most do (for its good and its utter complete crap sometimes) but cmon
bite the bullet
these monkeys have to go
even if we are down for another month!

swarta
Club Player

did anyone else become a member of truesainters due to this downtime?

sent from my iphone.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

theres a few here that already are 8-)

BakesFan
SS Life Member

battye wrote:BakesFan, you are entitled to believe that but it is misguided. I have access to the website FTP (the files and indirectly the database) and a webhosting control panel (essentially some basic statistics and email settings). That doesn't mean I have control over the server; I can't predict when faults will occur and as I am not the server administrator I have no way of contributing to the restoration of the service when they do. My hands were tied, all I can do is tell the webhost what needs to be done (because God knows they have no idea) and keep pressing them until they do it.

This webhost has never been great, we can all agree on that. But until the atrocious downtime earlier this year they were probably at least adequate. We had already signed up for this year by that point.

The next step from here is to prepare for a shift in host. I believe the situation with the current webhost is now untenable. I was speaking to Mr Magic just before this suspension about another webhosting drive; what I was looking at was a GoDaddy package for about $30 a month (roughly what we are paying now). The difference is GoDaddy are an established company with a good reputation. The experience I've had with them in the past has been good.

When we change hosts it's not going to be easy, as I've mentioned a few times Saintsational has a very large database. I'll need to do a dry run (on my computer) to make sure I can extract the entire database and convert it - as if it's on my computer then it is the ideal time to upgrade the forum software. It's a process that takes time, so there's a good chance that during the shift a couple of days or more of posts will be lost but unfortunately there is no way around that. At least it is the off-season.

So over the next 2 months or so that is my aim, to get the site shifted to a new host and upgrade the software simultaneously. In the coming days I will write a post about the webhosting drive (any donation is welcome like last time, but certainly not compulsory or anything like that as we want to keep the site open to everyone as it has always been) which Mr Magic has kindly agreed to handle again :)
Sounds good, battye...... but you don't have to do it on your own... as I said I'm happy to chip in some $$ to keep the site up..but that's about the limit of my expertise.....
However, there would be many computer-savvy people on this site who could help you ensure Saintsational doesn't suffer the continued downtime it currently experiences.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What do people think about some (limited) advertising in the site to help raise a few $$$?

I could handle it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What do people think about some (limited) advertising in the site to help raise a few $$$?

I could handle it.
Everytime I post we advertise. That wouldnt be much as I limit my posting. Good idea.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What do people think about some (limited) advertising in the site to help raise a few $$$?

I could handle it.
If there was a choice I'd prefer to keep it ad-free.
Pne of my bug-bears with BigFooty is the annoying ads.

The last time we 'passed the hat around' enough money was raised to pay for 3 years hosting, so it's not htat we need so much money that we need to take on advertising.
(In my opinion)

karnak
Club Player

We sponsor players. In my opinion the site and its stability must come first. I'll pledge 20.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:...what I was looking at was a GoDaddy package for about $30 a month (roughly what we are paying now). The difference is GoDaddy are an established company with a good reputation. The experience I've had with them in the past has been good.
their hosting doesn't have an amazing reputation for reliability. dreamhost tend to be better quality and should be price competitive.
battye wrote:When we change hosts it's not going to be easy, as I've mentioned a few times Saintsational has a very large database. I'll need to do a dry run (on my computer) to make sure I can extract the entire database and convert it - as if it's on my computer then it is the ideal time to upgrade the forum software. It's a process that takes time, so there's a good chance that during the shift a couple of days or more of posts will be lost but unfortunately there is no way around that. At least it is the off-season.
we shouldn't lose posts, surely?

just take the site down for the duration of the move. you can pull down a snapshot of the db and run the migration as a test of how long it will take, so you can let everyone know. i reckon it should be able to be done overnight as the slowest bit will be upload to a new us host.

let me know by email if you want a hand with this as i have a bit of experience here.

Rosco
Club Player

We'll lose posts if the site remains up on the current host while it is bring copied to the new host. But there's no shortage of members who post new threads that are identical to old ones so shouldn't be a problem ;)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Looks like i am very popular on BF. That was a cracker of a thread. I should have got involved as it seems they would have loved my imput.
ppfft small potatoes..I was BF's darling :wink:

PS SS is full of prima donnas

stinger
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:BakesFan, you are entitled to believe that but it is misguided. I have access to the website FTP (the files and indirectly the database) and a webhosting control panel (essentially some basic statistics and email settings). That doesn't mean I have control over the server; I can't predict when faults will occur and as I am not the server administrator I have no way of contributing to the restoration of the service when they do. My hands were tied, all I can do is tell the webhost what needs to be done (because God knows they have no idea) and keep pressing them until they do it.

you are doing a great job mate...i accept your explanation 100%..not your fault...so don't let the bed bugs bite...and those posters having a go at you really are bugs.... :wink: :wink: 8-) 8-) ....or viruses.... 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

like i said
if you asked for fuking help you might be surprised
instead of trying to do it all on your own
and i wont be chiiping in one cent (unlike last time) until i can see what im chipping in for
why are you picking the host,server, type of site???
if you ask for money and members end up paying for it then members get the right to have a vote and decide what they like best?

its not YOUR site as soon as you ask for donations
its OUR site

but this seems to be falling on deaf ears

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

matrix wrote:like i said
and i wont be chiiping in one cent (unlike last time) until i can see what im chipping in for
if you ask for money and members end up paying for it then members get the right to have a vote and decide what they like best?

its OUR site

+1

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Saints43
Club Player

matrix wrote:if you ask for money and members end up paying for it then members get the right to have a vote and decide what they like best?

its OUR site
Agree. I won't be contributing again unless there is some sort of discussion about forum availability and software versions from this decade.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:

its OUR site

+1
yes thats right, we will all "own" it and with thast goes any control and authority of the mods and the admin.

Can you the imagine the tantrum of an "owner" for breaking the forum rules and then being warned or banned??

Fair Dinkum, the carry on and dummy spits by some who think they are already entitled (not a privilege, which is what it is) to be on a moderated forum would turn the place into a cage of high horsed prima donna's (as Firey has pointed out).

If the site wants donations, give freely without conditions of faux "ownership".

When we sponsor a player we dont "own" the player, just the privilege of directly contributing to the club and showing our committment to a young player.

Why is the forum any different.

Keep going battye and dont let the naysayers get you down.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ohh ffs
here we go
twist the whole lot as usual

when we do a player sponsorship does MM decided on who we sponsor??
no
or course not
this is no diff

opinions should be sorted and a few choices should be put out for all to see

its not a dig at the work battye does joff
and you can see that
but if everyone chips in then lets at least have a look at our options
everyone 'owns' this place
mods and admin still run the joint

i gave myself one guess who would reply to what i said and twist the lot
i was right with the guess

its bloody logical that if you ask for donations and help getting the cost together (and this place would do it easily, as we all well know) then you should be putting some choices up and about of what could be used

twisted into 'matrix bagged battye and all the hard work he does' as usual by the usual.

james rose
Club Player

I could handle it.
My site would be more than happy to advertise here and has offered to do so before.

Like we do here

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index. ... owforum=15

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:twisted into 'matrix bagged battye and all the hard work he does' as usual by the usual.
I don't think you are bagging him in what you are saying, just the way you deliver what you say can make it sound like you are.

They walk amongst us...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

its OUR site

+1
yes thats right, we will all "own" it and with thast goes any control and authority of the mods and the admin.

Can you the imagine the tantrum of an "owner" for breaking the forum rules and then being warned or banned??

Fair Dinkum, the carry on and dummy spits by some who think they are already entitled (not a privilege, which is what it is) to be on a moderated forum would turn the place into a cage of high horsed prima donna's (as Firey has pointed out).

If the site wants donations, give freely without conditions of faux "ownership".

When we sponsor a player we dont "own" the player, just the privilege of directly contributing to the club and showing our committment to a young player.

Why is the forum any different.

Keep going battye and dont let the naysayers get you down.
Nonsense Joff.

That's what rules are for.

Does one shareholder with one share disrupt the everyday operation of a multinational company?

No. There are rules that go along with being a shareholder and rules that go along with being a contributor to this site.

Break the rules and you cop your fair whack.

These rules are already in place.

And nobody is slinging mud at Battye, it's just that the forum has grown beyond the control of a single person.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:

its OUR site

+1
See this is where democracy goes wrong. Giving votes is a bad idea.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
matrix wrote:twisted into 'matrix bagged battye and all the hard work he does' as usual by the usual.
I don't think you are bagging him in what you are saying, just the way you deliver what you say can make it sound like you are.
I wasn't having a go at anyone, including you matrix.

I just think that someone who donates a tenner to the running of the site shouldn't have any more say than they do now.

Maybe the BF way is the way to go. For a small fee you get extra stuff like a quicker runtime, avatar etc (plus), but can be red carded as quickly as anyone else without the ownership issue being involved.

I believe what you say has a ring of truth to it, we all feel like we are a part of this forum and are set apart as we are all Saints fans, I just wouldn't want to see this place decend into petty squabbles because dontaors think they are above other posters and think they have higher privileges.

So I wasn't trying to twist anyones words. I just know there would be some who would take advantage of your proposal, that all.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Legendary
Club Player

People have very short memories about why battye is doing this job in the first place: he deserves some respect.

3 years ago there was no one in control of the site and we were having problems. I was a moderator under a different name at the time. battye stepped in and volunteered when no one else would to sort things out with a site host and he and Mr Magic organized the funds. The site became far better run and battye stepped in when no one else was willing or able.

A website is not a democracy. There is an owner of the domain and that person holds 100% of the rights and control of the site. If you don't like it, start your own (True Sainters is brilliant if you haven't had a look yet).