Pick 37 ~ Jack Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

Pick 37 ~ Jack Newnes

Newnes I think is a bit of an underestimated player in this draft on BF. He is a wing / flanker who has played all over the field the last couple of years. At AFL I think he will become a HBFer although he has the flexibility to slot in where needed early.

What I like most with Newnes is his kicking when he has time and space. With space he has good balance and a lovely easy style on his kicks. He gets good penetration and has very nice touch on his kicks when he is kicking within his range. He makes good decisions with the ball and can get the ball to the player when the decision has been made. His kicking is one of the reasons I would like to see him behind the ball at the next level where he can use his kicking ability to full effect. He is very good with kickins as well which is a bit of an art form in itself at AFL level. Despite my preference for him behind the ball its worth noting that his delivery into 50 was also very good at the Champs and he set up a few goals for Patton in particular with very nice kicks delivered just where he needed them. Teams will probably consider this when deciding how to use Newnes.

Behind the ball Newnes also reads the play very well and is excellent at taking the ball away from the opposition whether by marking the kicks coming in, tackling or generally disrupting the player with the ball. I would compare him to Heppell this year for how he plays at the back and what he could bring to a team. He might not be that good but he is in the ballpark at least.

He had a good year last year as a bottom aged player in the TAC but one of the criticisms of him was a lack of physicality in his game. He worked hard at this during the offseason and this year and he has improved a lot in this area. He was played through the middle a lot more at TAC level and during the Champs and his inside game improved out of sight. At TAC level this year he averaged 22.8 disposals a game 8.6 of which were contested. At the Champs he played mostly on the wing but he won his fair share of the ball in tight and he put his head over the ball and attacked it when it was his turn. The improvement he has shown this year in this area is a credit too him and something I am sure the recruiters will consider when considering him.

In tight he works okay and circles the contest quite well looking to influence. He is primarily a receiver but as mentioned he will go and get it when called on. He is pretty one-sided with his handballs, with his left handball being weak and in need of a fair bit or work. On the right though he is pretty solid with his handball skills. He can be a bit rushed in contested situations and his decision making can suffer.

He is a middling athlete being neither particularly slow or quick but he does have good endurance and he has a stride that can eat up the ground when he gets out in the open. He can occasionally run himself into a bit of trouble but for the most part he has pretty good run and carry when he decides to use it. Defensively he works pretty hard and shows good chase. He averaged 3 tackles a game in the TAC but he is still not particularly physical in the tackling contest. This is something which I am sure will be worked on a bit at the next level.

Overall I like the work that Newnes has done on his game this year given that he was already pretty draftable last year. I also like that he continues to have good self awareness and recognises that he needs to improve his strength and is doing quite a lot of gym work whilst he waits for the draft to happen. I would have liked to have seen him get more of the ball at the Champs (14 dpg) which would have assured him of a higher spot in the draft order but I still think he is a good shot to be picked up maybe earlier than many expect.

Goddard.
Sam23
SS Life Member

Jack Newnes (VIC – Mid/Util)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 24/02/1993
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-late
Profile: Good linkup player who can play along the wings, forward or back without any trouble. Kicking is very good and consistently finds targets. Duel sided. Has good footy smarts. Good decision maker. Inside game improving and has become a bigger ball winner, but will at the next level which will suit him because he enjoys the time and space which allots his touches to be even better. Can do shut down jobs. Needs to build an inside game and needs to win more contested footy.

Goddard.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Not much said aboud this kid. I thought we would have jumped all over Watters' assessment of him to be the next Lenny Hayes. No pressure or anything though kid...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Not much said aboud this kid. I thought we would have jumped all over Watters' assessment of him to be the next Lenny Hayes. No pressure or anything though kid...

Where did Watters say that?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:
St Ick wrote:Not much said aboud this kid. I thought we would have jumped all over Watters' assessment of him to be the next Lenny Hayes. No pressure or anything though kid...

Where did Watters say that?
Foxtel interview in the coverage after the draft. I have it taped so can get exact wording in the morning but remember he definitely compared him to Lenny.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh kool, j was just trying to find it online!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

An Ivanhoe junior!!

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Newes = nickname: "Fossil"

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Wigsy
Club Player

I saw Watters comment on Lenny too - bizarre. His bio sounds almost the opposite! Lenny eats the inside stuff and this kid is a linker. Perhaps the younger HFF Lenny where his class was always evident early? Anyway, perhaps they sense they snuck one here.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I was a bit sceptical about this selection however watching some footage im changing my tune. His kicking skills look to be his thing. He runs with the ball like Aussie Jones and holds the ball pretty far out in front when kicking like Aussie. A booming right footer who can take a kick out or set up inside 50. A true wing/flanker who has little inside skills as yet.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

His highlights has a hell of a lot to like about him

Seems very strong in terms of tackling and breaking tackles which is so improtant. Kicking skills seem good too.

I hope he can emulate anotehr bloke taken at 37 who wears number 11.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Stupid little rich boy. Wonder how much he paid to make it to AFL. would of got driven to/from school in daddy's BMW and likewise with training now. Private school boy. Isn't that how we treat them?
Ohhh I forgot deadbeat.
Their just some of the names I've been called by people on here via the forum, pm or believe it or not some people actually go to the effort of sending me messages over facebook thinking I don't know who they are.
I'l be back with some more great names later. Personally my favourite is the one I recently got, the word starts with an F and ends in a T, I'l let you work out the missing letters.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
St Loxton
Club Player

FFS Dooley dont be such a twat!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I can honestly say it doesn't matter where you went to school. Grammatical errors can never be eradicated.

If anyone needs to pick on Dooley it shouldn't be for his schooling, more his dislike of half our list while playing cheersquads.

Only joking little fella! I hope he turns out to be an inconsistent player so we have a new whipping boy for you soon.

Hammer
Club Player

Like others mentioned, a lot to like on the highlights.

Why do so many so called supporters get on here and bag our own players and draftees. Tools!

Bring back the Hammer!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Hammer wrote:Like others mentioned, a lot to like on the highlights.

Why do so many so called supporters get on here and bag our own players and draftees. Tools!
Nothing against him. Great guy, from Marcellin College

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

According to this journo, we missed the finals in 2010. Oh dear, the drawn GF must have been a bad dream :roll:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 6205944907

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

How many missing letters dools ?

:)
F ?? T

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:According to this journo, we missed the finals in 2010. Oh dear, the drawn GF must have been a bad dream :roll:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 6205944907
Oh dear, good to see they are picking up more drunks to do sports writing. Gotsta love tradition.