Sebastian Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

IN ROSS WE TRUST

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
AP Erebus wrote:off afl.com

Former club: North Ballarat Rebels/Horsham
DOB: 07/05/1993
Height: 187cm
Weight: 83kg
Position: Midfielder

The cousin of Jobe Watson. He represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 14.5 possessions and four tackles a game as part of their midfield. His strengths are his work rate, contested footy, clean hands and ability to play many roles on the field. He had an outstanding TAC Cup year with the Rebels, averaging 24.8 disposals, 4.6 marks and 3.4 tackles.
Sounds like a ready to go build.
Yep very solid, in-and-under type ready to go, left footer I believe. If they wanted him it had to be at 25, as Ess would have taken him at 31 IMO.

Bonus for them, is that they would not have expected Markworth to still be there at 35 - so they may have changed their selection...

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Scoop
Club Player

BigMart wrote:why am I making you sick...

firstly, why would you care so much about my opinion....its only that

secondly, why would I want any of them to fail....I hope they all succeed....none of us know if that will happen

thirdly, I am allowed to give my views on a forum.....

BTW - have I stated any of the boys cannot play, or wont succeed??????
Just for interest sake BM....what would your selections have been...

These were mine:

25. Elton
35. Markworth (got one right)
37. Paine
42. Dalgliesh
60. Woodward
68. Lever (got another one)
76. The Blake

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I wasnt the only one who had him lowish....but he certainly was always going to be drafted...

his output for an inside mid is modest avg: 14.5 touches

have I heard that he is slow and that concerned most recruiters

PICK 4 ~ WILLIAM HOSKIN-ELLIOTT

PICK 10 ~ LIAM SUMNER

PICK 16 ~ THOMAS SHERIDAN

All these guys averaged 14 possessions in the championships too. ALl picked before Ross.

And this search took me 5 minutes. Imagine what you could muster up if you actually watched these players play.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
BigMart wrote:I wasnt the only one who had him lowish....but he certainly was always going to be drafted...

PICK 10 ~ LIAM SUMNER

All these guys averaged 14 possessions in the championships too. ALl picked before Ross.

And this search took me 5 minutes. Imagine what you could muster up if you actually watched these players play.
Please don't shoot him down with logic :wink:

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Con Gorozidis wrote:For what its worth (not much) im glad we didnt get elton at 25.
just watched his video on herald sun website and he looks like a big dud - a poor mans kosi.
I have to agree with you there, didn't impress me in the slightest, I'm not sure why people thought he was so great.

savatage
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:

PICK 10 ~ LIAM SUMNER

:)

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Welcome to the Saints mate!!

hope you have a bigger impact on our club than your Uncle did! :wink:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I like his name

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

In his interview with the herald sun, he said he models his game on Dustin Martin

His body suggests that he could be that type of player, also loves a goal

He is already bigger than all our draftees from last year

Hope he is a gun!

BeauLeFatheur

such a bunch of whinging teenage girls, you lot.
wishing all our recruits the best of success, go saints!

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

BeauLeFatheur wrote:such a bunch of whinging teenage girls, you lot.
wishing all our recruits the best of success, go saints!
You will come across a lot of that here (whinging teenage girls)

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would suggest they had modest returns also....14.5 poss is not a huge game. Esp for an inside mid...what positions did the others play???

Maybe they/he was heavily rotating???? not sure

Are they wingman/flankers/pockets.....or mids....what was their impact with the possesions

eg. Raph/Gilbert/Siposs/Schnieder/Milne get 15 touches....they may have played well....depending the quality of their output or role

if Dal/BJ/Lenny/Joey/Jack/Armo got 15 they would have what I would consider a quiet game

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I would suggest they had modest returns also....14.5 poss is not a huge game. Esp for an inside mid...what positions did the others play???

Maybe they/he was heavily rotating???? not sure

Are they wingman/flankers/pockets.....or mids....what was their impact with the possesions

eg. Raph/Gilbert/Siposs/Schnieder/Milne get 15 touches....they may have played well....depending the quality of their output or role

if Dal/BJ/Lenny/Joey/Jack/Armo got 15 they would have what I would consider a quiet game

Exactly right. The ones I mentioned are all midfielders.

And exact right once again - they may have been rotated, they may have had half games, things that effect an average.

Which is the exact reason why you shouldn't use his 14 possessions average in the championships to pot him then specifically leave his 27 average in the TAC cup out just as P66 said. Simple logic.

You produce stats to support your weak opinion, then use reasoning to question the exact stats I presented, which I did based on your pathetic logic reasonig skills.

And how about you quote the whole discussions just so it's easier for posters to clearly see how contradictory you are. Instead to hiding behind this phantom responding technique you have started using.

Hate to be negative, but the reasoning, and logic that you use to form strong opinions of players you've never seen is annoying and should be called out.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Spinner

are you absolutely certain of your logic....or are you just guesing????

Did you (or P66) watch the champs to come up with your conclusion....I just made a simple observation.....at 14.5ppg he had a modest champs (rotated or not).....like the others mentioned. Did not say he was not a good ball winner in the TAC comp....(24ppg)

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I will remain interested to see when those who provide the summary knocks on young kiddies drafted start to recognise this is not 1995, or even 2005.
Clubs are now making their draft selections on a very different basis. It is but a few years ago when selections were all about athletes. Not now. Now it's about rounded footballers who have a package a club can work to develop. The ability to win the contested pill, carry the ball, foot skills and a sound character (the Fev clause, perhaps?) are all now paramount. No longer is it "pick 'em and play 'em" and hope for the best.
That's why we are committing so much resource to the idea of a development academy. It's sensible, forward thinking and entirely worthy.
We're heading in the right direction and the great mass of people I know who are rusted on to this club are rapt - me included. They could have taken the easy out and excused themselves on the basis of Lyon's slick treachery. But, no, we just got on with it and changed our resource emphasis (and, please, no-one countenance a suggestion of the "we're broke" mob, because to do so shows a fundamental lack of appreciation of what the business is, what the numbers mean, what's it's there to achieve and what we need to do to maximise our prospects).
Ticks to all at the helm who have devised and are executing a sound strategy. We're on the right track.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Spinner

are you absolutely certain of your logic....or are you just guesing????

Did you (or P66) watch the champs to come up with your conclusion....I just made a simple observation.....at 14.5ppg he had a modest champs (rotated or not).....like the others mentioned. Did not say he was not a good ball winner in the TAC comp....(24ppg)
I'm sorry, but I've got to step in here too... Did YOU watch any games at the champs to make your assessment?? Or are you really basing your liking for a player on his disposal numbers and where he ranked in phantom drafts?

FWIW, Ross is a solid inside midfielder with an ability to also play outside. Has decent speed, a decent kick and also tackles pretty well. He's a player that's a good 7 out of 10 in most things. But, what I like about him is his determination to get better and learn the game. At the start of the year he recognised his endurance as a real issue (as was the case for Jobe when he was drafted), so he actually went out and got professional help to get better in this regard. Consequentially, he recorded a pretty reasonable beep score at the combine, highlighting that he has really improved himself in the past 12 months.

By no means will he prove to be the best pick in this draft when we reflect in 10 years time, but you can't expect that with pick 25. He should be a solid player, capable of making it in the AFL. And whilst he may never be a superstar, he is a good leader and team player and can bring a lot to the Saints over his career.

So frankly, and I am aware there are other threads addressing this, I am sick of ill-informed 'experts' like yourself attempting to throw your weight around on a forum to bag out players that a/ you haven't seen, and b/ that have been part of the StK FC for all of 2 days...

I love the concept of Saintsational in that is provides a voice for Saints fans, as well as providing a home to discuss the team you love with others who feel the same. But people like yourself make this place somewhere that makes me angry to read, which clearly shouldn't be the case. You are frustrating in that you try to make out like you are all-knowing (and then when others prove you wrong you play the 'free speech' card. Pathetic), spouting off drivel that ruins what could be a good thread. In this instance, a thread we should be using to get excited about one of the newest members to the RW&B. Shouldn't that be more important than your need to prove your own 'knowledge' above that of our FULL-TIME, EXPERIENCED recruiters, who most likely have a reasonable idea of the kid they are drafting...

Now I'm ranting, but seriously, you are little more than a draining ill-informed pest on this site. And yes, I haven't got the post numbers of you, but that's because I don't see a need to hijack every thread with monotonous drivel like yourself. You try to take the pi$s of other posters like Plugger, or Spinner, but TBH, from reading this forum for a number of years now, I can tell you, that whilst many may disagree with the sarcasm that comes attached to his posts, Plugger is one of the few posters worth reading when it involves the kids and draftees. At least he has some acquired knowledge to go on. You, on the other hand, talk nothing but trash.
Last edited by thirty-seven!? on Sat 26 Nov 2011 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

double

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

I know stats don't tell the whole story

But I just looked up all his stats on the tac cup website and was pretty impressed

When playing for Ballarat

*This kid is ultra consistent his lowest disposal count for the year was 18 Highest was 34

*He obviously has both an inside and outside game

Stats the show this include a game where he had 15 handball recieves

And Another game where he had 9 tackles

His best game for the year was pretty impressive to say the least

In a BOG performance

Ross had 29 disposals at 72%, 9 tackles and a goal

*He had 3 BOG's, and was named in the best 8 times in 11 games

I can now see where the Pendlebury comparison comes in

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Sick Nal Danto wrote:I know stats don't tell the whole story

But I just looked up all his stats on the tac cup website and was pretty impressed

When playing for Ballarat

*This kid is ultra consistent his lowest disposal count for the year was 18 Highest was 34

*He obviously has both an inside and outside game

Stats the show this include a game where he had 15 handball recieves

And Another game where he had 9 tackles

His best game for the year was pretty impressive to say the least

In a BOG performance

Ross had 29 disposals at 72%, 9 tackles and a goal

*He had 3 BOG's, and was named in the best 8 times in 11 games

I can now see where the Pendlebury comparison comes in
This - for such luminarie as BM and his ilk, most of us here, whilst passionate and in many cases perhaps former or current low level players ourselves who simply love the game and this club, don't try and portray ourselves as experts.

Stats and "expert" opinion are the only guides we have on these kids until we see them play in the flesh at an intra-club or NAB game. Therefore it will be a key indicator to assess how our club fared in the draft.

The raw data suggests that this kid knows how to find a truckload of the ball. That's a bloody good start. Expert opinion is that he's a good kick, another tick. Our coach thinks the kid has good leadership potential, another tick.

Everything else on here is white noise.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
Spinner wrote:

PICK 10 ~ LIAM SUMNER

Please don't shoot him down with logic :wink:
Liam Sumner looked like that piece of shizen you come into contact with at a club and then do a Bazza Hall on.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

and exercise that is impossible, as you dont know if Ross would have been picked if you changed selection.....

FWIW I would have chosen...

25 - Elton (Ruck/Fwd)....considerd Kersten, Bolger....but with Elton got the best of both worlds......replace Walsh/Johnson, possibly succeed Kosi

35 - Grigg (Mid).....Considered other rated mids, would have looked seriously at Markworth because he slid. replace Smith, possibly succeed Hayes

37 - Talia (Tall Back).....considered Bosely...Replace Walsh/Johnson, possibly succeed Fisher

42 - Paine (Key Fwd).....considered Dobosz....replace Cahill, possibly succeed Riewoldt

60 - Next best player who was available, possiby a utility type....replace Lynch/Heyne, succeed

68 - Horsley...... I did not consider Wilkes.....smart move

76 - Blake......obvious move

As I said, I would have had an obvious strategy to focus on succession planning for talls ....and chose ONE mid who was highly rated (as you always need mid depth)

Every one of those selections may well turn out to be Duds (Ross may be a star - hopefully)......but Coll, Rich, Bulldogs saw fit to take a chance on them....

Rookies
Ruckman, Mid and another Key Tall - one mature age

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yea my prediction was Elton and Grigg with our first two picks however the way it panned out i would have taken Kersten and Markworth then considered a ruck like Bolger and finished with a couple of mids. Saying that i reckon Ross and Newnes are good picks and could play straight sway it just didnt address our needs for kpp's and ruck. Webster and Markworth sliding handy as well. The psd will be interesting. We should consider Bosely, Bolger, Dobozs, Nelson and Waldhuter.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I'd say we were quietly hoping Kersten slid to our 2nd pick. And TBH, so was I. I actually quite like Ross, but at the time was feeling a little disappointed we didn't grab Kersten.

Kersten is a MUCH better prospect than Elton. I have heard you discuss (at length) about how in hindsight you wanted Darling last year. Well, whilst not as good as Darling, Kersten is pretty comparable. Plays with good aggression, leads very well, OK mark, OK endurance, average speed. Has had some pretty worrying injuries over the past couple of years though, which is a big reason behind his slide.

But funny enough, he is actually 1cm SHORTER than Markworth. and 3cm taller than Ross. So he is quite undersized for a KPP, just like Darling.

I am STOKED with Markworth at #35. In fact, I would have been so pumped had we secured him at 25. He's a real talent with SO much potential. On potential alone he is top-10 in this draft. Only played footy for around 4 years and has gotten remarkably better each year. The academy will do wonders for him.

I probably would have grabbed Talia at 37. However, I haven't seen much of Newnes. From all reports he is a very quick outside mid/HB with good skills. Great eye going forward and a good reader of the play.

I actually watched this draft with one of my friends who is a part time recruiter at another club. He was very positive about all the guys we grabbed, although didn't know as much about Lever (wasn't on his club's radar). And he is not the type to sugar-cote ANYTHING. Thinks Elton is awful, reckons North stuffed up with McKenzie, Melbourne were poor, Freo was average (went too early on many players), Carlton average. Geelong did well, Collingwood got value (although he isn't a huge fan of Paine). Doggies also did very well.

Anyway, can understand your want for the below, but I think that looking at our haul as a big picture will show you that we did VERY well, although perhaps not getting as many talls as you had wanted.

We obviously didn't rate either of Elton or Paine, otherwise we would have grabbed them when we had our chance. Also, I don't think talls are in as dire need as some may think, with the likes of Simpkin, Stanley, Ferg, Archer and Siposs all looking pretty good early on. It's always going to be better to have quality than quantity. I dare say we will have a very tall draft next year - a year, which as I have said before, is very strong fall talls, just as this one was for mids.