Goddard's Best Position

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: If HBF is that easy then why dont we have 2 outstanding HBF's. I reckon it is because you still have to be a star to play that position. As per the 2 players you mentioned. Leon twice AA anf Aussie a very good player.
Again you're twiating words...
I didn't say it was an easy position, I said it was the easiest position on the ground... there's a difference.

And you've actually hit the nail on the head... We don't have 2 outstanding HBF backs... but IMO that says more about our list then anything else
It would be good if Schnieds could do a leon.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

You telling me he wouldn't be a good forward?

This actually gave me nausea, watching this clip, I actually nearly vomited. I'll never, ever be able to watch that game, or the '09 one, either.

I can't believe we didn't win. It isn't fair.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i actually get goosebumps still when i watch that :shock:

To the top
SS Life Member

Good question.

Has been most effective virtually without an opponent across defensive lines - and has not excelled in the mid-field as we would have hoped.

Taking a line thru a former player now on our coaching panel, I would be tempted to play him at CHF.

Has good overhead skills, can move well, can hold ground and push opponents off with expertise and can kick (normally, forgetting 2011).

What do you do with Riewoldt?

Play him closer to goal with space - and allow him (and Kosi) the freedom to roam by discretion.

And I remain one of those who do not subsribe to having 2 or 3 under 178cm players who can only play close to goal in your side.

You can only play one such player - at a pinch.

So Goddard forward gives us more size and more potency in our weakest area - our forward line and our ability to kick goals.

Given the need to replace Dawson (good!), our defence led by the likes of Fisher, Gilbert, Clarke, Gram et al plus with Gwilt returning will continue to perform - and they all have an attacking bent.

Our mid-field needs an injection of pace and precise ball skills - and we look to those we drafted and who had an introduction in 2011 - plus Steven and Hayes.

Injuries will occur - so we look for more luck than we have had in recent times.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Dont tell me it is to take pressure off Rooy like the cricket has done for Ponting. Maybe you just sent a little early on that call.
Never write off a champion, I always say

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Dont tell me it is to take pressure off Rooy like the cricket has done for Ponting. Maybe you just sent a little early on that call.
I repeat. Never write off a champion.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Yep it is because he lost the captaincy. It makes sense. Just taken him a year to realise it makes sense. Did Hussey lose it as well?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Anyway it matters little what we say
Really plugger!!!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Anyway it matters little what we say
Really plugger!!!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up
Really scratching the bottom of the barrel to pick up that comment.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Best position or the one he plays nest in??

He plays his best loose across half back

Ideally he would be best suited as a utility ruck rover, due to his ability to play in a variety of roles.....down back, up fwd, through the midfield play tall, play medium......only problem, he is not a power runner or overly strong inside....like say, Judd, swan, hodge, Watson.....

So I think
Wing

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Gws

Another opportunity awaits!
starsign
Club Player

When asked KD had no idea. But offered that she hoped he was more better than Tricky Ricky whome she'd tried in all 22 positions without much success!!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

His best position=on the dais getting the cup ftrom DEmetriou!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Yep it is because he lost the captaincy. It makes sense. Just taken him a year to realise it makes sense. Did Hussey lose it as well?
Well Plugger, it seems that you were the one who went off half-cocked ... Prematurely you might say

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Well Plugger, it seems that you were the one who went off half-cocked ... Prematurely you might say
So he made this hundred because he lost the captaincy a year ago. Yep that makes sense. Does that mean if Rooy loses his captaincy in 2012 he will play well in 2013 because he didnt captain in 2012? It seems your theory lacks sense.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are we talking cricket, nice to see Ed Cowan stiffen up a brittle top order....been a tad unlucky....two poor decisions have removed him too....

BTW ..... The captaincy makes little difference when the bowler is running in....
Just like it doesn't when going for a mark....

Richter
SS Life Member

You'd think that losing the captaincy would not mean anything, but an interesting quote on tonight's news saying the opposite....

"When Ricky lost the captaincy it was a terrific weight off his shoulders.... well, it was for all of us really..."

... quote from... Mrs Ponting....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how many hundreds she's made???

She was commenting on his homelike more than anything

The guy is an out and out champion....eventually he would have made runs, captain or not.....just on ability, mental toughness, experience and opportunity.....

Say it again, when the bowler is half way in, the last thing you think of is whther or not your captain.....you focus on the ball and thousands of hours of muscle memory and reflexes take over.....at 140k it has to be that way...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:You'd think that losing the captaincy would not mean anything, but an interesting quote on tonight's news saying the opposite....

"When Ricky lost the captaincy it was a terrific weight off his shoulders.... well, it was for all of us really..."

Yep but I have no idea what that has to do with his batting. Just maybe she was talking about at home. Wasnt everyone wanting him dropped about a month a go. Lets just admit losing the captaincy a year a go has nothing to do with his form now. I think hard work is helping his form now. Like I said does that mean we have to wait util 2013 for Rooy to improve if he loses it 2012.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Richter wrote:You'd think that losing the captaincy would not mean anything, but an interesting quote on tonight's news saying the opposite....

Yep but I have no idea what that has to do with his batting. Just maybe she was talking about at home. Wasnt everyone wanting him dropped about a month a go. Lets just admit losing the captaincy a year a go has nothing to do with his form now. I think hard work is helping his form now. Like I said does that mean we have to wait util 2013 for Rooy to improve if he loses it 2012.
I'll be happy if Nick can score 100; in 2012 or 2013; captain or not captain :)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

On Punter; As captain he was responsible not only for his own performance but his teams performance. Surely removing the burden of responsibility of the teams performance has helped him? Maybe not physically but mentally. And in the end things like stress can effect your performance iin any type of work even pro sports. I'm no psychologist but that makes sense to me. I think it's time we appoint a new captain. If not this year then definitely next year. Roo is getting on.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

On Punter; As captain he was responsible not only for his own performance but his teams performance. Surely removing the burden of responsibility of the teams performance has helped him? Maybe not physically but mentally. And in the end things like stress can effect your performance iin any type of work even pro sports. I'm no psychologist but that makes sense to me. I think it's time we appoint a new captain. If not this year then definitely next year. Roo is getting on.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Captaincy can have the opposite effect, because you are so team concerned, the pressure of batting can become less, you feel like your batting for the teams sake, and not your own sake as cricketers often do.....

You are never more selfless as a sportsman as when you are captain....because you must be...

Punter was the ICC cricketer of the year in 2003,2006, 2007 and in all of those years he was captain

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Captaincy can have the opposite effect, because you are so team concerned, the pressure of batting can become less, you feel like your batting for the teams sake, and not your own sake as cricketers often do.....

You are never more selfless as a sportsman as when you are captain....because you must be...

Punter was the ICC cricketer of the year in 2003,2006, 2007 and in all of those years he was captain
Those years the team was quite successfull. The screws have turned since the departure of great players such as Hayden, Gilly, Langer, Warne and McGrath. Why did Punter's form drop? I'd say for a few reasons one being the burden of captaining a declining team.

St Kilda FC are in a similar position the where the Aussie cricket team is. Roo may captain this year but my money would be on that it's his last. Times are a changing.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Double