Intra Club Pre-season Match

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jays
Club Player

Re: Intra Club Pre-season Match

lol yeh i recon hehe

vacuous space
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:the problem is the dockers are in the same position as us, their key players are getting older and they need to rebuild.
The Dockers have been one of the best recruiting teams over the past several years. They have the best young player in the comp in Fyfe and one of the most explosive in Hill. They've been the best team bar none at finding bargain picks in the draft particularly with mature age players. They also showed that they've got rucks beyond Sandilands last year, although I expect teams to push hard to poach Clarke after this season. Now that they've rid themselves of Harvey and got a real coach, they should be going top-4 pushing for a flag. At least as long as they've still got Pavlich and Sandilands.
at least watters doesnt have the pressure of continually making finals over 5 years.
Watters wasn't brought in here to take the team down the ladder for some nice draft picks. If this team turns into a loser under his watch, he should be gone along with Pelchen. They were brought in to keep this team winning.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

chook23 wrote:Why would the umps select the red Uniform....

in a Saints practice match.........???Der
They did the same in the kangaroos intraclub match and one of the sides wore red jumpers! Muppets!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

KingSaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Interestingly at the Freo intra club match yesterday night Zac Dawson had 4goals kicked on him ... By a WAFL player invited to make up numbers !!! Zac also now has an Afro
I read with interest in Saturdays paper, Ross appeared to get a little testy when one of the journo's brought up Zac's performance in the practice match. To quote "I've seen Zac stand up under the fiercest heat". "Were you at Grand Finals in 2010 & 2009? We can talk about those performances."

Welcome to Perth Ross. Not a great place to be a footy coach if you don't like dealing with the media and dumb journo's on a daily basis.
Yeah I saw that .. So far Ross has been the invisible coach since being in Perth you hardly ever hear from him as Chris Bond has been doin a lot more media work instead .. It will be interesting once the games start if Ross is forced to front the media more ... As for his comment yet again Ross is rubbing people the wrong way with reference to his former employer ( remember all the "at the Swans" talk when he came to us ) .. Honestly Dawson looked disinterested he knows he's got a game round one so there was no point given his all against a WAFL kid with a point to prove after being over looked in the draft

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
defacto wrote:the problem is the dockers are in the same position as us, their key players are getting older and they need to rebuild.
The Dockers have been one of the best recruiting teams over the past several years. They have the best young player in the comp in Fyfe and one of the most explosive in Hill. They've been the best team bar none at finding bargain picks in the draft particularly with mature age players. They also showed that they've got rucks beyond Sandilands last year, although I expect teams to push hard to poach Clarke after this season. Now that they've rid themselves of Harvey and got a real coach, they should be going top-4 pushing for a flag. At least as long as they've still got Pavlich and Sandilands.
at least watters doesnt have the pressure of continually making finals over 5 years.
Watters wasn't brought in here to take the team down the ladder for some nice draft picks. If this team turns into a loser under his watch, he should be gone along with Pelchen. They were brought in to keep this team winning.
I reckon your over rating the dockers .. Fyfe is a great pick up but Hill is soft mentally and gets put off his game far too easily .. You talk about their rucks but forget their defence I mean Grover come on silvagni is a GOP at best .. Then forwad you got Pavlich who plays for himself Kepler who forgets what sport he is playing and Jack Anthony who was dropped in the WAFL grand final by subi .. Their most creative player is Ballantyne and Ross is trying to turn him into a Tagger !!! Don't get me wrong Ross will make them better but only after he cuts the dead weight out of them and replaces the me first players with team first players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintly
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
KingSaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Interestingly at the Freo intra club match yesterday night Zac Dawson had 4goals kicked on him ... By a WAFL player invited to make up numbers !!! Zac also now has an Afro
I read with interest in Saturdays paper, Ross appeared to get a little testy when one of the journo's brought up Zac's performance in the practice match. To quote "I've seen Zac stand up under the fiercest heat". "Were you at Grand Finals in 2010 & 2009? We can talk about those performances."

Welcome to Perth Ross. Not a great place to be a footy coach if you don't like dealing with the media and dumb journo's on a daily basis.
this. ross is in a tough position. the dockers fans will demand the club plays finals and gets progressively better each year under ross (in his 5 year contract). the problem is the dockers are in the same position as us, their key players are getting older and they need to rebuild. at least watters doesnt have the pressure of continually making finals over 5 years. he may have pressure to make a serious dent this year but for the most part i think saints supporters expect us to fade away from there and rebuild.

I thought that besides the money, one of the reasons Ross went to the dockers was that the team was younger, mor ekey players then us and more talented. Am I wrong?

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
I reckon your over rating the dockers .. Fyfe is a great pick up but Hill is soft mentally and gets put off his game far too easily .. You talk about their rucks but forget their defence I mean Grover come on silvagni is a GOP at best .. Then forwad you got Pavlich who plays for himself Kepler who forgets what sport he is playing and Jack Anthony who was dropped in the WAFL grand final by subi .. Their most creative player is Ballantyne and Ross is trying to turn him into a Tagger !!! Don't get me wrong Ross will make them better but only after he cuts the dead weight out of them and replaces the me first players with team first players
this. if ross thinks the culture was bad at the saints then he's in for a fun 5 years down at freo. the clubs so professional, that ballantyne gave away that he was dropped for the derby because he was phoning eagles supporters for a box ticket for the derby game for him and his mates. can you imagine a saints player doing that for a game against the western bulldogs or collingwood!!! no wonder harvey was paranoid to the point he surprised the players, put them on the bus to an undisclosed location for training (turned out to be the waca, had to kick the kids of the ground who were attending a clinc).

defacto
Club Player

saintly wrote:I thought that besides the money, one of the reasons Ross went to the dockers was that the team was younger, mor ekey players then us and more talented. Am I wrong?
i heard that too. i vaguely recall that he thought the club was further along the rebuilding process, had the younger more promising talent with a good mix of older players that still had a fair bit of football in them.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote: The Dockers have been one of the best recruiting teams over the past several years. They have the best young player in the comp in Fyfe and one of the most explosive in Hill. They've been the best team bar none at finding bargain picks in the draft particularly with mature age players. They also showed that they've got rucks beyond Sandilands last year, although I expect teams to push hard to poach Clarke after this season. Now that they've rid themselves of Harvey and got a real coach, they should be going top-4 pushing for a flag. At least as long as they've still got Pavlich and Sandilands.
How does a team play in a Prelim in 2006, recruit really well and only play finals once in the next five years?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
dragit
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:the clubs so professional, that ballantyne gave away that he was dropped for the derby because he was phoning eagles supporters for a box ticket for the derby game for him and his mates. can you imagine a saints player doing that for a game against the western bulldogs or collingwood!!! no wonder harvey was paranoid to the point he surprised the players, put them on the bus to an undisclosed location for training (turned out to be the waca, had to kick the kids of the ground who were attending a clinc).
Why would Ballantyne try to get a box for himself, if he thought that he would be playing?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I still reckon Ross was going to Melb, and Freo just got the deal done in a more efficient $$$ kind of way.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You could be right SainterK, you could be right

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I still reckon Ross was going to Melb, and Freo just got the deal done in a more efficient $$$ kind of way.

Spot on 100%.

The amount of things that happened that day were jaw dropping...

Imagine all the events that took place that we dont know about and changed from minute to minute.

defacto
Club Player

dragit wrote:
defacto wrote:the clubs so professional, that ballantyne gave away that he was dropped for the derby because he was phoning eagles supporters for a box ticket for the derby game for him and his mates. can you imagine a saints player doing that for a game against the western bulldogs or collingwood!!! no wonder harvey was paranoid to the point he surprised the players, put them on the bus to an undisclosed location for training (turned out to be the waca, had to kick the kids of the ground who were attending a clinc).
Why would Ballantyne try to get a box for himself, if he thought that he would be playing?
he knew he wasnt going to play. injured his hamstring against richmond at the G. the club were adamant he was going to play though, mark harvey ran with this in the press conference trying to make wce prepare for ballantyne playing. sadly at the same time ballantyne gave the story away trying to get a box for him and his mates.

defacto
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:I still reckon Ross was going to Melb, and Freo just got the deal done in a more efficient $$$ kind of way.

Spot on 100%.

Imagine all the events that took place that we dont know about and changed from minute to minute.
it would certaintly would have made the move of misson easier

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
dragit wrote:
he knew he wasnt going to play. injured his hamstring against richmond at the G. the club were adamant he was going to play though, mark harvey ran with this in the press conference trying to make wce prepare for ballantyne playing. sadly at the same time ballantyne gave the story away trying to get a box for him and his mates.
That's a ripper footy yarn!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

defacto wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Spot on 100%.

I don't have any inside info, but where there's smoke there's fire and I smell a BBQ'd rat. :evil:

Ro$$y heading for the Dreamons would explain Misson's move, wonder if he's regretting jumping too soon before Ro$$y had inked the deal??? As for the about face to the Shockers, well at least it's one bruise-free footy club to another for Ro$$y.

So does anyone out there with some inside info care to share, or at least drop some hints as to what went on?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
defacto wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Spot on 100%.

I don't have any inside info, but where there's smoke there's fire and I smell a BBQ'd rat. :evil:

Ro$$y heading for the Dreamons would explain Misson's move, wonder if he's regretting jumping too soon before Ro$$y had inked the deal??? As for the about face to the Shockers, well at least it's one bruise-free footy club to another for Ro$$y.

So does anyone out there with some inside info care to share, or at least drop some hints as to what went on?

No inside info but my guess is RL was never going to the Demons. He left for money and a long contract otherwise he would have stayed with us.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:
defacto wrote:
Spinner wrote:

So are you saying the Saints play 'bruise-free' footy? Pass that onto Hayes, Jones, Armitage, Ledger, Steven, Dempster, Polo, Riewoldt ......+ :shock:

And the Docker, Barlow, Broughton, Crowley, Mzungu, De Boer, Lower...
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 14 Feb 2012 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
saintly
Saintsational Legend

well, at the moment i am glad ross went to freo. this means i don't get to see his face in melbourne papers every week or hear him speak every week. Just feel sorry for the saints supporters in the west.

defacto
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
defacto wrote:
heard it on 6pr i think when langdon and hardie were discussing it with jackovich around the time of Harvey infamous tin foil hat press conference where he claimed he had plugged all the leaks in the club

dragit
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
defacto wrote:
heard it on 6pr i think when langdon and hardie were discussing it with jackovich around the time of Harvey infamous tin foil hat press conference where he claimed he had plugged all the leaks in the club
i feel for you, having to listen to all that garbage about freo & the eagles all the time over there… must be awful

defacto
Club Player

most of it is funny. i mostly listen to sen. only listen is theres something of interest (i.e. saints game coming up, saints interview or some eagles/dockers drama, ross lyon/harvey saga). its been pretty good the last couple of years. everytime the we go over we win. subi is our fortress.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I thought one of the main reasons Ross left for Freo was that he had lost a lot of money in bad investments, in the past couple of years and Freo agreed to pay him a chunk of money up front, to help relieve him of his financial stresses?
Something like that was reported in the media in the days after he left, as a sort of rebuttal to those saying he was purely a "traitor", or whatever.
Anyway, he's now gone and is coaching one of the other teams that isn't us, so I hope they don't do better than us, like I do with all the other teams.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

MCG-Unit wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote: Ro$$y heading for the Dreamons would explain Misson's move, wonder if he's regretting jumping too soon before Ro$$y had inked the deal??? As for the about face to the Shockers, well at least it's one bruise-free footy club to another for Ro$$y.
So are you saying the Saints play 'bruise-free' footy? Pass that onto Hayes, Jones, Armitage, Ledger, Steven, Dempster, Polo, Riewoldt ......+ :shock:

And the Docker, Barlow, Broughton, Crowley, Mzungu, De Boer, Lower...
Hi MCG-U, no definitely not saying that. I am actually very proud that none of the Saints teams I can recall (be they successful or not) have ever played soft footy.

I hoped when writing the above that it would convey that I was refering to Ro$$y being set for the infamous bruise-free Dreamons, but when that fell through, at least he landed at the league's other soft, bruise-free footy rabble - the Purple Daze. Sorry for any lack of clarity.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: