Nick Riewoldt will have more help this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shmic_s
Club Player

Nick Riewoldt will have more help this year

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6270244896
But it is understood fourth-year player Rhys Stanley will play forward, with Justin Koschitzke forward/ruck, and sometimes the two of them in the forward line with the skipper.

"I'm loathe to individualise too much, but I think some of the younger guys like Stanley, and (Arryn) Siposs played a few games last year, so from a key position point of view, I'm sure they will get an opportunity at some stage," Riewoldt said.
I like the sound of that!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Riewoldt will have more help this year

It's true, 7 other guys and a mentor :wink:

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I have a believe it when I see it policy with Stanley these days.

Whenever I see him play for Sandringham he seems a long way off being an AFL player. Even just from an urgency standpoint he seems severely lacking.

Hopefully I'm wrong - perhaps with a new regime, he will gather some momentum.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

agree, would need to have improved a lot, based on what I saw of him in the vfl last year

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Stanley would make an awesome runner…

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

On his intra-club form, Stanley's direct opponent will just run off him to double-team Riewoldt.

It's not like we haven't actually tried other talls down there before, but only Kosi has had any genuine success.

Then again, none of Watts, Charlie Gardiner, Pattison, Lynch, Allen, Stanley or Siposs ever got an extended run at it for various reasons.

Would love to know how Jarryd Allen would have gone had his body not given up on him.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Interesting stat: of the 57 players to have made their St Kilda debuts since Round 1 2003, only one (Adam Schneider) has kicked 100 goals for the club.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pretty damming stat really…

I always wonder where our free players are when I see Riewoldt up against 3 opposition, stopping the opposition from scoring has come at a massive cost offensively and has probably hindered Riewoldt's ability to stamp himself upon a game when often 1 on 3.

Every player in the forward 50 needs to be a genuine scoring threat otherwise their direct opponent will zone off to cover Milne and Riewoldt at every opportunity (the McQualter types)
Good forwards need to sharpen their defensive games rather than putting defenders down there and hoping they'll tackle themselves into a goal here and there…

We need some more guys who absolutely love kicking goals - hopefully Saad is one…

defacto
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I have a believe it when I see it policy with Stanley these days.

Whenever I see him play for Sandringham he seems a long way off being an AFL player. Even just from an urgency standpoint he seems severely lacking.

Hopefully I'm wrong - perhaps with a new regime, he will gather some momentum.
this is how i feel as well

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Interesting stat: of the 57 players to have made their St Kilda debuts since Round 1 2003, only one (Adam Schneider) has kicked 100 goals for the club.
If you had of picked 2002 the results would have been much better. Joeys has 100 since 2002. Dal easily has 100 since 2003 but also made his debut in 2002. BJ has 92 since 2003. Roo made his debut the year before that.

We've had some of the best forwards in the game in Roo and Milne. Kosi has also contributed. We also had G train a duel Coleman medalist up until 2008.

We've predominantly been a very defnsive team and we do need a new sourse of goalkickers and hopefully that will change and change quickly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Interesting stat: of the 57 players to have made their St Kilda debuts since Round 1 2003, only one (Adam Schneider) has kicked 100 goals for the club.
If you had of picked 2002 the results would have been much better. Joeys has 100 since 2002. Dal easily has 100 since 2003 but also made his debut in 2002. BJ has 92 since 2003. Roo made his debut the year before that.

We've had some of the best forwards in the game in Roo and Milne. Kosi has also contributed. We also had G train a duel Coleman medalist up until 2008.

We've predominantly been a very defnsive team and we do need a new sourse of goalkickers and hopefully that will change and change quickly.
Of course you are right. Gehrig, Milne and Riewoldt are three of our top 6 goalkickers of all time. However we have reached the point where we MUST develop new routes to goal.

The only team to have had no post-2003 debutants kick 100 career goals is Brisbane, who obviously had Brown, Lynch and Bradshaw but haven't found anyone else since (Justin Sherman has the most with 91)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
I always wonder where our free players are when I see Riewoldt up against 3 opposition, stopping the opposition from scoring has come at a massive cost offensively and has probably hindered Riewoldt's ability to stamp himself upon a game when often 1 on 3.

Every player in the forward 50 needs to be a genuine scoring threat otherwise their direct opponent will zone off to cover Milne and Riewoldt at every opportunity (the McQualter types)
Good forwards need to sharpen their defensive games rather than putting defenders down there and hoping they'll tackle themselves into a goal here and there…

We need some more guys who absolutely love kicking goals - hopefully Saad is one…
Yes I've thought that every single time Riewoldt has 2 or 3 opponents - where are the free Saints players? Why aren't they running riot?

They were most likely up at high HF / Wing filling space, ready to try and stop the rebound :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
yipper
SS Life Member

In fairness I think Stanley struggled in the blustery conditions at the intraclub like most of the talls did. He has worked very hard over pre-season, has found a new lease on life, really enthusiastic about his prospects. He is in a good place at the moment. Paul Hudson has spent a lot of time with him. He will be ok this year - I think he fully realises that the new coach believes in him, he is responding to that. He was on the end of a fair bit of negativity both self inflicted and not, he didn't see his prospects being all that good last year. He is ready to go in 2012. Think he may just surprise you all.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:In fairness I think Stanley struggled in the blustery conditions at the intraclub like most of the talls did. He has worked very hard over pre-season, has found a new lease on life, really enthusiastic about his prospects. He is in a good place at the moment. Paul Hudson has spent a lot of time with him. He will be ok this year - I think he fully realises that the new coach believes in him, he is responding to that. He was on the end of a fair bit of negativity both self inflicted and not, he didn't see his prospects being all that good last year. He is ready to go in 2012. Think he may just surprise you all.
Until proven otherwise I'm quite happy to go along with your optimistic enthusiasm yipper :D

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

In the article, Watters says, "You really are going need 30-35 players, with planned rests through the course of the season,"

"Maybe we've got to the point where players don't play every game."

I find this interesting, because it's the complete opposite philosophy of what the leading teams had around 3 years ago.

In '09, I remember we used the least amount of players throughout the season of any club, as the philosophy, which was generally agreed upon, was that you need continuity in the side that takes the field every week, and the less changes you make, the better for the team.

This philosophy appears to have been surpassed now, via geelongs rotation policy last year, and the dominant philosophy now is that every player needs at least one rest a season, and that it's good to use more, not less, players throughout the year.

Gee, football evolves so quickly....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
yipper wrote:In fairness I think Stanley struggled in the blustery conditions at the intraclub like most of the talls did. He has worked very hard over pre-season, has found a new lease on life, really enthusiastic about his prospects. He is in a good place at the moment. Paul Hudson has spent a lot of time with him. He will be ok this year - I think he fully realises that the new coach believes in him, he is responding to that. He was on the end of a fair bit of negativity both self inflicted and not, he didn't see his prospects being all that good last year. He is ready to go in 2012. Think he may just surprise you all.
Until proven otherwise I'm quite happy to go along with your optimistic enthusiasm yipper :D

+1

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
felix
Club Player

Stanley is he the new whipping boy ? I hope not.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

plenty of help if he's in the midfield :wink:
it's where everyone goes
''I've been trying to pitch my case for a spot in midfield and up on the wing all through the preseason, but that remains to be seen. I think running's become an even more important part of the game in recent years, and everyone's got to be able to run and run at high intensity for a long period of time.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... z1mLYjGjbi

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Stanley would have known there was little reward for good vfl form under Lyon. Having the motivation of a spot should help. It was a single intraclub match after all. Mobile fast talls area rare commodity.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think Stanley would have known there was little reward for good vfl form under Lyon. Having the motivation of a spot should help. It was a single intraclub match after all. Mobile fast talls area rare commodity.

I doubt that very much. Stanley got more matches than he probably deserved in 2010 and last year probably didnt deserve a game at all. Instead of looking for that as an excuse the real reason he didnt get games last year was form and injury and I dont think the form had anything to do with him thinking he may not get a game because RL didnt play guys who were in form in the VFL. He never got in form.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Collingwood has three. One of them is Paul Medhurst. It's a meaningless stat with arbitrary goals and years.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's about time that Nick got some help. Playing against 3 others for a couple of years now, plus his knee problem, bottomed him out last year.

With new strategies and hopefully, players that are good enough to execute them, will make us far more potent up forward. Delivery into the forward line has been dreadful in the past. Let's hope that there are a few more targets this year and that kicking skills have improved.