Zac to the rescue

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac to the rescue

The Redeemer wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Zac had his good points. Zac had his bad points. To say he was a complete dud isn't how I remember him at all becuase he played his role quite well most of the time and most times held his opponent.

Having said that, bagging him now is fairly normal. Most supporters of all teams bag former players and it comes with the territory. It's just a bit of fun.
I've been bagging him since he played for Hawthorn. He's the most overrated player in the comp.
Amen.

It is similar to Jonathan Brown's three flags early in his career. A 90 year old grandmother could have played in that forward line and kicked goals yet he is paraded and discussed as a modern marvel/legend/sniper.

Zac should get help from McPharlin, Silvagni and Grover however the quality of the latter two are debatable...
You're kidding yourself if you think that is a reasonable comparison.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Talking abou J. Brown and Dawson in the same sentenci is like comparing Lyon with Len/Norm Smith!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Zac had his good points. Zac had his bad points. To say he was a complete dud isn't how I remember him at all becuase he played his role quite well most of the time and most times held his opponent.

Having said that, bagging him now is fairly normal. Most supporters of all teams bag former players and it comes with the territory. It's just a bit of fun.
I've been bagging him since he played for Hawthorn. He's the most overrated player in the comp.

What about Kosi. Love people bagging our own regulars.
Did Kosi play for Hawthorn? Love people who do nothing but defend the AFL and our regulars.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Come on. Kosi has played nearly 200 games for our club. Some respect please..

BTW..I hate frigging bleating supporters bagging our own during a game...morons.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:The fact is that footy is a team sport and he leaked many goals to his teammates opponents because they had to try to account for Zac's many errors.
Footy is a team sport. The rest of that is opinion, not fact.

Zac gave away some frees, but most key defenders do. He didn't turn over the ball much by hand or foot though. The AFL keeps a stat on errors and Zac has never had very many. The only sort of error that wouldn't get picked up on the stats would be positioning. From my own observation he gave away a lot more goals searching for his own man after getting caught upfield than he gave to anybody else's opponent. I cannot fathom where in this stingy defence from 09-11 Zac managed to give away so many goals as to be so overrated.

Bagging him since Hawthorn isn't anything to be proud of either. He was all of 20 when he played his last game there.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Amen.

It is similar to Jonathan Brown's three flags early in his career. A 90 year old grandmother could have played in that forward line and kicked goals yet he is paraded and discussed as a modern marvel/legend/sniper.

Zac should get help from McPharlin, Silvagni and Grover however the quality of the latter two are debatable...[/quote]

You're kidding yourself if you think that is a reasonable comparison.[/quote]

I am not kidding myself and I repeat the same point.

Dawson was able to perform moderately due to having both quality around him and a defensive plan when the opposition had possession that suited the stay at home full back.

Brown had quality around him and rode on the coat-tails of others. As previously stated he did bugger all and my dead grandmother could have kicked a few playing in that forward line circa 2001-2004.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:The fact is that footy is a team sport and he leaked many goals to his teammates opponents because they had to try to account for Zac's many errors.

Zac gave away some frees, but most key defenders do. He didn't turn over the ball much by hand or foot though. The AFL keeps a stat on errors and Zac has never had very many. The only sort of error that wouldn't get picked up on the stats would be positioning. From my own observation he gave away a lot more goals searching for his own man after getting caught upfield than he gave to anybody else's opponent. I cannot fathom where in this stingy defence from 09-11 Zac managed to give away so many goals as to be so overrated.

Bagging him since Hawthorn isn't anything to be proud of either. He was all of 20 when he played his last game there.
Who's talking about giving away frees. I'm talking about ball watching and having no idea where his opponent is, or, watching his opponent and having no idea where the ball is, requiring teammates to leave their man to supports Zac's lack of awareness.
Let's see how he goes at Freo, I guarantee he will be a dismal failure and so will the Dockers under Ross.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

All Zac has going for him is an average ability to spoil his opponents. The modern game requires players to have other attributes to be considered a good FB. Eg. Marking from opposition kicks, run off your opponent, helping out your team mates etc. Zac doesnt do any of this. Hes below average and lucky to be on an AFL list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Who's talking about giving away frees. I'm talking about ball watching and having no idea where his opponent is, or, watching his opponent and having no idea where the ball is, requiring teammates to leave their man to supports Zac's lack of awareness.
Let's see how he goes at Freo, I guarantee he will be a dismal failure and so will the Dockers under Ross.
"

Is that based on any footy knowledge at all?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Why does everyone talk about the fact that he didn't have many bags kicked against him. The fact is that footy is a team sport and he leaked many goals to his teammates opponents because they had to try to account for Zac's many errors. He is and has always been a dud.
I guess that explains why we had more goals kicked against us than any other team in the last three years. Oh hang on....

Furtius Quo Rdelious
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Dont give a zack about zac. Wish him all the best as long as he doesn't play well against us. He was an average player in my view who was well helped by a solid back 6. WIll be interesting to see how he goes at Freo.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally don't think RL is a great coach at all... will watch his tenure at Freo with interest.

Whilst he's not a dud by any means... we had a great a great list during 2009-11 and we watched RL run our stars into the ground and frequently give mediocre/under performing players ago and make consistently absurd team selections.

IMO he very clearly coached us out of 2 premierships... our stars got us there not RL

very glad he's gone... wasn't particularly upset when he left

Jury still out on Watters... he says all the right things though

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Personally don't think RL is a great coach at all... will watch his tenure at Freo with interest.

Whilst he's not a dud by any means... we had a great a great list during 2009-11 and we watched RL run our stars into the ground and frequently give mediocre/under performing players ago and make consistently absurd team selections.

IMO he very clearly coached us out of 2 premierships... our stars got us there not RL

I suppose it matters little what you or me or others think but the gun players at our club thought he was a great coach. Maybe just maybe they would have more insight than any of us.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The support for Zac on this forum is truely amazing. He's gone to join his mentor because he knows he'd be found out if he stayed.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Personally don't think RL is a great coach at all... will watch his tenure at Freo with interest.

I suppose it matters little what you or me or others think but the gun players at our club thought he was a great coach. Maybe just maybe they would have more insight than any of us.
the gun players at our club were also really disappointed when Watson quit and Blight was sacked... so what?

geee i should feel so bad for having an opinion backed up with observations your highness... I suppose Roo told you that on the phone

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

the gun players at our club were also really disappointed when Watson quit and Blight was sacked... so what?

geee i should feel so bad for having an opinion backed up with observations your highness... I suppose Roo told you that on the phone

Never spoken to Rooy on the phone in my life and also never heard players say those other guys were great coaches. You can have your opinion but I will go with players opinions. Maybe you know more though. You really are a bit to easy. May be time to stop with you.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dont think Ross was a great coach, i bet you thought he was when he coached us though. We didnt have a great list in 09-11, which is why we had plenty role players. We had a great gameplan, thats what i know... We got to the Grand Finals because Ross Lyon had a great gameplan and the players executed that amazingly. We made the Grand Finals because of the Gameplan and also the players. Not just the players.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

and plugger there was plenty of scuttlebutt around that a lot players were glad RL was gone too so you'll forgive me if I don't take your comment of "the gun players thought he was good" as gospel. You can't back up anything you say... but pls continue ridiculing others for doing the same

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:and plugger there was plenty of scuttlebutt around that a lot players were glad RL was gone too so you'll forgive me if I don't take your comment of "the gun players thought he was good" as gospel. You can't back up anything you say... but pls continue ridiculing others for doing the same

I back it by looking in a mirror. Yep plenty were happy he left but they were in the seconds. Plenty will be wanting Watters to leave as well but they will probably be in the seconds. All I can suggest is you listen to what I say as it will only improve your footy knowledge and surely is a good thing for all of us.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:

Dont think Ross was a great coach, i bet you thought he was when he coached us though. We didnt have a great list in 09-11, which is why we had plenty role players. We had a great gameplan, thats what i know... We got to the Grand Finals because Ross Lyon had a great gameplan and the players executed that amazingly. We made the Grand Finals because of the Gameplan and also the players. Not just the players.
You need a great list to win 19 straight. Game plan helps, but not possible without a great list. I know you want to give Ross all the credit, but don't be delusional.
Richmond didn't have a great list through that period. We did IMO. Especially 2009.

8856brother wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

You need a great list to win 19 straight. Game plan helps, but not possible without a great list. I know you want to give Ross all the credit, but don't be delusional.
Richmond didn't have a great list through that period. We did IMO. Especially 2009.
During that period we had Roo, BJ, Lenny, Dal, Joey and Sam Fisher at their near best form in the prime footy years age-wise. All 6 of them top 20 players in the comp. In those two years only Geelong had a better group of stars at their peak.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

Geelong had a great list, we had a very good list.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:
We won 19 in a row, so the coach couldn't possibly have anything to do with that?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
We won 19 in a row, so the coach couldn't possibly have anything to do with that?
Where did I say he didn't? Of course he did. Did you read what I said. The comment was about having a great list and no matter how good the coach is you won't win 19 straight without a great list.

I cannot wait to see that pansy-douche getting molested by any forward remotely worth his/her salt.