a draw = joke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: a draw = joke

As long as we are playing for a financial prize, we should be very interested in these pre season results.
Moronic that we are being punished for Essendon's stupidity, thinking they could fly up just before the bounce.

Surely the AFL will bring a little sanity to the table and take the points away from Essendon. After all, the AFL changed the rules to take points away from us post result.

We would have smashed them anyway.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Munga
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Just checked the website and they have just announced the cancellation.
But of course a bit of bending of the truth as they have showed a photo of the ground as it looked on Thursday eg several inches under water.
However a friend on Facebook had posted a photo from the ground an hour ago and the ground was not flooded.
They have to justify Essendon's decision to fly anyway they can.
Can you post the pic from today?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bomber Thompsons sandwich would have been sodden by half time - they can't be expected to turn up to that.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

This is BS. Ground looks great, game would have gone ahead. Give us the points you twits.

Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:This is hilarious.

Your Hilarious , sticking up for everything farking AFL .....
We drive and ready to play Bombers don't and not ready , pretty simple in my books we win they lose ...?
Any more simple you flog ...?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:This is hilarious.

Your Hilarious , sticking up for everything farking AFL .....
We drive and ready to play Bombers don't and not ready , pretty simple in my books we win they lose ...?
Any more simple you flog ...?
He's very simple unfortunately.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yeh we got a raw deal, potentially missing a final and money, more importantly a decent hit out, but that's life. the afl should compensate the fans and the association there, as it was so easily avoided with a something called a contingency plan. done themselves no favours and we're the only ones coming out of it with our image intact. just gotta laugh. but it would be interesting to see what the rules are concerning such a situation. most likely nothig concrete, allowing the afl to chose an outcome at their whim.
good to see plugger starting the season in consistent form. bodes well for the year.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

No matter what game you play or where you play - if you don't turn up FORFEIT.

They could have caught the bus up this morning - they knew what the weather was going to be like.

Typical - if Essendon survive this fiasco without egg on their face or trial by media this will only make my already low opinion of the sporting media in Melbourne lower than a snake's belly.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:We are there.
Essendon due to their own bad planning are not.
Therefore a forfeit.

This is another Adrian Anderson make the rules up as you go scenario.

Do you actually know the rule? I dont but it seems you do. Can you explain it to us.
Plugger - I don't know exactly what the AFL's rules may be, as they do seem to change them at will - BUT I do know that the international code of sportsmanship says that if you don't turn up to a sports match that you are participating in you forfeit the game. End of. Pretty simple really.

and as somebody has already written it was incredibly short sighted of Essendon to think that in shocking weather they could rely on just showing up before the bounce on a small plane.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 6287778402

Essendon flies to Wangaratta for NAB Cup clash as St Kilda buses it

"It may be an example of the difference between the AFL's haves and have-nots........"

This is so true.

We HAVE arrived in Wangaratta & the Bombers HAVE NOT  :P

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Do you actually know the rule? I dont but it seems you do. Can you explain it to us.
What difference does knowing the rule make?

The AFL will change it to suit their agenda. Always have and always will until someone holds them accountable.
If it is true that prize money is awarded based on the ladder at the conclusion of the NAB cup then we clearly have cause for compensation.

IF the AFL took two points from us for the drawn match in Launceston when they overturned their own rules then it is obvious to anyone with a modicum of common sense that we are owed the four points from this match.

I personally don't care one iota if we made the NAB cup GF or not. I've seen us in enough of those to know they mean nothing. But I don't want us unjustly deprived of money that is denied to us by the arrogance of the opposition.

The simple fact is that we were ready to play and Essendon were not.

It is a no brainer.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Suburban basketball says that if your mate gets out of work late and you can't field a team you forfeit the points. Just because there was a traffic jam because of the rain doesn't cut it- you should leave earlier. They have proper rules in amateur competitions. Just as well they pay lots of money to have quality administrators- I'd hate to see what policy would be like if we paid them less.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Who cares? Honestly why are people carrying on. We just lose 1 game which sucks.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Who cares? Honestly why are people carrying on. We just lose 1 game which sucks.
It's about the financial differential between 2 points and 4 points.
It's about being bent over again by the AFL...just like we were with Launceston...just like we were with the Steven Baker - Jeff Farmer incident...I could go on but I am sure you get the point.

ando051
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Perhaps the AFL should conduct an inquiry into why Essendon flew to the venue on the day of the match. Who knows what they might find out !!

No the inquiry should be why Essendon even had to fly, less than 3 hr drive in the first place. More money than sense

ando051
Club Player

Also who is going to reimburse any supporters that travelled to the Wang there Fuel and Accommodation. The points don't bother me, unless it is true that where you finish on the NAB ladder is how much prize money your club receives.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Who cares? Honestly why are people carrying on. We just lose 1 game which sucks.
It's about the financial differential between 2 points and 4 points.
It's about being bent over again by the AFL...just like we were with Launceston...just like we were with the Steven Baker - Jeff Farmer incident...I could go on but I am sure you get the point.
Conspiracy.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dingbat!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:Also who is going to reimburse any supporters that travelled to the Wang there Fuel and Accommodation. The points don't bother me, unless it is true that where you finish on the NAB ladder is how much prize money your club receives.
Reimburse supporters?, jesus christ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:Also who is going to reimburse any supporters that travelled to the Wang there Fuel and Accommodation. The points don't bother me, unless it is true that where you finish on the NAB ladder is how much prize money your club receives.
Is true

saint4life
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Any reports from the intra club? Anyone staring? Anyone injured? How are the kids going?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:Any reports from the intra club? Anyone staring? Anyone injured? How are the kids going?
I would say this match litrally meant nothing, i wouldnt even bother looking at which players played good etc. I would only care if as you said "Anyone injured"

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Reimburse supporters?, jesus christ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Wow, I didn't know he was a supporter!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

ess wanted to give their players the maximum amount of recovery time as they're playing against melb on fri .
I would love to know how many of them will be in nightclubs till 4 or 5 am tonight " recovering "

In red white and black from 73
yipper
SS Life Member

Fact - Bummers lobbied the AFL to change the rules to allow them to fly up on day of game, (rules clearly state all teams must fly on day before game) AFL gave them permission (apparently) and naturally they have stuffed up failing to get to the game. The AFL is considering whether or not Essendon pays compensation to the Wangaratta organisers or they do (AFL) - Saints have come out smelling of roses, crowd reaction is total fury at the arrogance of the bombers. Many expressing dismay at how many could drive all the way up from Melb today AND make it in time, how the saints drove up a day earlier and were ready yet Essendon fc could not manage to do either.

This has been an atrocious PR disaster for Essendon and the StKilda FC have now made many new friends up in Wangaratta for the fact that they made the effort and put on an Intraclub for the fans.

Shame on you Essendon Shame.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.