Sandringham vs Port Melbourne Sat 17th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Offbe
Club Player

Re: Sandringham vs Port Melbourne Sat 17th

Stand out for me was Seb Ross, he played four good quarters and was the best on the ground. Winmar was also very good especially in the first half. The Minch was also impressive sneaking goals in the second half. Wilkes is NOT a backman, he looked lost until he moved forward in the second quarter. After that he had more of an impact.

Faz was good too. Gram looked uninterested from the start, I didn't see him get injured but he disappeared there at some point. I figured he got bored and went down to sandy beach to work on his tan.

Oh yeah and the great Nathan Burke was sitting under the scoreboard quietly watching and listening to the entertaining filth that comes out of the mouth of the scoreboard man. That combined with the waft of second hand cigarette smoke, a burnt tongue from my pie and the abusive port supporting grannies took me straight back to Moorabbin. All I needed was a bit more mud and an orange thrown at the back of my head...good times.

ando051
Club Player

Hope we don't get into the same problem with Wilkes as we did with T Lynch. Wasn't Wilkes brought in to strengthen our backline? Why play him forward for Sandy. What happens if we get an injury in the backline in the seniors. You have a player coming in to cover that has been playing forward in the seconds. I know some players can be a "Utility Players" but there are only a couple in our side being BJ and Nicky Dal that are talented enough to do that.

Thanks for the report looking forward to watching the kids down Sandy this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Thanks SaintsBrat.

Morrabbin? How often does that place get used??

All recovery is at Moorabbin but as soon as all the older players leave I would say it will all be based at Seaford. Every young player lives in the mordy area. Even Grammy has bought there and taken Chips with him.

On the game yesterday I have come to the conclusion that i was wrong about Wilkes and he isnt a backmans arsehole so no wonder he got cut from WCE. Did well up forward but I cannot see him getting game time apart from injuries or poor form. I was speaking to one our coaches and he is a real wrap for Newnes. Also really rates Ross and reckons this year recruits are by far the best off the ground since he has been involved. In other words they love training.

It also may have been the strangest game of footy i have seen in years. We kicked 19 up one end and Port kicked about 16. Nothing about that but it was only about a 2 goal breeze. And i am unsure if a tackle was laid in anger all day.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I didn't buy into the Seb Ross hype at first but after the NAB game I saw him play I'm in. Watching his highlight reels on youtube you can't believe his ability to win the ball in traffic. If there is a better role model than Lenny in the AFL for him I don't know who they are. He should be a 10 year player. I'm really excited by the crop of new players this year, we have some really good talent there.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:Thanks SaintsBrat.

Morrabbin? How often does that place get used??

All recovery is at Moorabbin but as soon as all the older players leave I would say it will all be based at Seaford. Every young player lives in the mordy area. Even Grammy has bought there and taken Chips with him.

On the game yesterday I have come to the conclusion that i was wrong about Wilkes and he isnt a backmans arsehole so no wonder he got cut from WCE. Did well up forward but I cannot see him getting game time apart from injuries or poor form. I was speaking to one our coaches and he is a real wrap for Newnes. Also really rates Ross and reckons this year recruits are by far the best off the ground since he has been involved. In other words they love training.

It also may have been the strangest game of footy i have seen in years. We kicked 19 up one end and Port kicked about 16. Nothing about that but it was only about a 2 goal breeze. And i am unsure if a tackle was laid in anger all day.
Wilkes was completely lost at full back and only just found his way on the forward line. Seb Ross will play this year. Nick Winmar gets a bit lost at times, but you can't doubt his commitment. Daniel Markworth looks a real player along with Newnes and Shenton. Sam Dunnell can take a grab and kick straight.

Last week was the same, nearly all goals kicked to the northern end with less breeze than yesterday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Sandy win, 24.8 (152) to Ports 20.9 (129)
sounds like a wonderfully entertaining game. well done to everyone who went and thanks for the reports.
24.8. wow.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:Hope we don't get into the same problem with Wilkes as we did with T Lynch. Wasn't Wilkes brought in to strengthen our backline? Why play him forward for Sandy. What happens if we get an injury in the backline in the seniors. You have a player coming in to cover that has been playing forward in the seconds. I know some players can be a "Utility Players" but there are only a couple in our side being BJ and Nicky Dal that are talented enough to do that.

Thanks for the report looking forward to watching the kids down Sandy this year.
Wilkes was never bought in to strengthen our backline. People assume this is the case because of Zac leaving.
He was recruited on the back of scoring 40 goals in last 10 games in the WAFL. If not for that he would still be in the WAFL.
Think of him as a replacement for Tommy Walsh.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

chips and grammy doing bombs of mordy pier. classic. there is also that new cafe in mordy. i bet they spend some time there.
agree wilkes is not a backmans a-hole.

noob
Club Player

wilkes is just tall

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ando051 wrote:Hope we don't get into the same problem with Wilkes as we did with T Lynch. Wasn't Wilkes brought in to strengthen our backline? Why play him forward for Sandy. What happens if we get an injury in the backline in the seniors. You have a player coming in to cover that has been playing forward in the seconds. I know some players can be a "Utility Players" but there are only a couple in our side being BJ and Nicky Dal that are talented enough to do that.

Wilkes was never bought in to strengthen our backline. People assume this is the case because of Zac leaving.
He was recruited on the back of scoring 40 goals in last 10 games in the WAFL. If not for that he would still be in the WAFL.

Sorry but watching Sandy and the Saints suggests you couldnt be more wronger. I am sure that is a word in this case.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Sorry but watching Sandy and the Saints suggests you couldnt be more wronger. I am sure that is a word in this case.
which bit is wrong? u said he wasnt a backman yourself. r u saying he was bought in as a backman even though he didnt even play back in the wafl???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

which bit is wrong? u said he wasnt a backman yourself. r u saying he was bought in as a backman even though he didnt even play back in the wafl???

Well he has started back every game so that suggests something. Also the fact the coach says he may play FB suggests something.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Waters said upon recruiting Wilkes that he did so because of Wilkes' ability to play back and forward. Waters liked his flexibility. Words to that effect anyway.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Waters said upon recruiting Wilkes that he did so because of Wilkes' ability to play back and forward. Waters liked his flexibility. Words to that effect anyway.

Beau?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Waters said upon recruiting Wilkes that he did so because of Wilkes' ability to play back and forward. Waters liked his flexibility. Words to that effect anyway.
correct. but in actual reality - it was his performances fwd that got him drafted. he would not have been drafted if not for his fwd work in the wafl.
i think the coach started talking him up as a back post drafting when he realised we were a tall short down back. more wishful thinking than anything else.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How was young Danny Markworth?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
correct. but in actual reality - it was his performances fwd that got him drafted. he would not have been drafted if not for his fwd work in the wafl.
i think the coach started talking him up as a back post drafting when he realised we were a tall short down back. more wishful thinking than anything else.

We must have a smart coach if he didnt realise before we drafted Wilkes that we were a backman short. Yes he was drafted because of his form forward at Claremont but since being drafted has played back in every game he has played. Only wentforward last game because he was getting beaten down back. Now that is fact.

PJ
SS Life Member

Actually that's not correct I remember him having a shot at goal against either Geelong or Sydney and the commentators saying he'd been moved forward.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Actually that's not correct I remember him having a shot at goal against either Geelong or Sydney and the commentators saying he'd been moved forward.

No worries. The point is he has started back in every game so they obviously wanted him to play that role.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

We must have a smart coach if he didnt realise before we drafted Wilkes that we were a backman short. Yes he was drafted because of his form forward at Claremont but since being drafted has played back in every game he has played. Only wentforward last game because he was getting beaten down back. Now that is fact.
every game isnt many. and there wasnt any time for the coach to assess the list pre draft. the reality is there probably wasnt many key backs out there.
ive said a million times - they dont grow on trees. zac is 195cm. so coach probably thought wilkes could be a a bit of a utility. i seriously dont think anyone expected him to be a regular key back. including beau himself. so its only external expectations.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:Actually that's not correct I remember him having a shot at goal against either Geelong or Sydney and the commentators saying he'd been moved forward.

No worries. The point is he has started back in every game so they obviously wanted him to play that role.
well they were giving it s try yes. giving it a try doesnt mean he was recruited as a back. just means they were trialling him back in the pre-season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

well they were giving it s try yes. giving it a try doesnt mean he was recruited as a back. just means they were trialling him back in the pre-season.

So why was he recruited? Depth up forward. You would think if that was the case he may have started at least one practice game up forward. Of course he was recruited as a FB and that is why he has been playing there.

If as you say he was recruited as a forward can you tell us our he fits into our structure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:well they were giving it s try yes. giving it a try doesnt mean he was recruited as a back. just means they were trialling him back in the pre-season.

So why was he recruited? Depth up forward. You would think if that was the case he may have started at least one practice game up forward. Of course he was recruited as a FB and that is why he has been playing there.

If as you say he was recruited as a forward can you tell us our he fits into our structure.[/quote]

so he was recruited as a fb despite playing ff in the wafl?

thats weird.

ill tell u where he fits in to our structure - as a back-up/insurance for kosi or roo - both of whom are ageing warriors with a recent history of injuries.
crazy not to have a back-up for those 2. he was 70 odd in the draft - so clearly 70 odd in the draft when ur 25 means u are a back-up player not a first 22.
if ur a first 22 - u go higher than 70 odd.
if there was a decent fb out there in draft land we would have spent a higher pick on them.

if he was a recruited as a fb - i feel pretty sorry for our recruitment staff - because it means they have NFI. which is what u are insinuating.\

i give our recruiters more credit than you - and i contend they recruited him as a back up fwd/insurance for if one of kosi or roo go down - which is highly likely and therefoe a smart move.

so what is plugger? our recruiters hopeless as you say? or smart as i say?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:well they were giving it s try yes. giving it a try doesnt mean he was recruited as a back. just means they were trialling him back in the pre-season.

If as you say he was recruited as a forward can you tell us our he fits into our structure.
so he was recruited as a fb despite playing ff in the wafl?

thats weird.

ill tell u where he fits in to our structure - as a back-up/insurance for kosi or roo - both of whom are ageing warriors with a recent history of injuries.
crazy not to have a back-up for those 2. he was 70 odd in the draft - so clearly 70 odd in the draft when ur 25 means u are a back-up player not a first 22.
if ur a first 22 - u go higher than 70 odd.
if there was a decent fb out there in draft land we would have spent a higher pick on them.

if he was a recruited as a fb - i feel pretty sorry for our recruitment staff - because it means they have NFI. which is what u are insinuating.[/quote]

Why has he played every game down back then? Surely you practice where you want them to play.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

no u trial people where u need them to see if they can fill the role.