76 percent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

76 percent

Looking at the player stats today, the lowest game time for all St Kilda players (excluding the sub and subee) was 76%.

And there were only 5 players in the 70's.

Is this a product of the game, ie a slogging. Or a coaching style.

I remember in previous years, it wasn't so even.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: 76 percent

Only three interchange? (A really dumb rule.)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Only three interchange? (A really dumb rule.)

Great rule. Footy has clearly been better in the last 2 years than the previous few and that is because the players get tired and there is less flooding and packs. 2 and 2 may just be to much but could also work.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Looking at the player stats today, the lowest game time for all St Kilda players (excluding the sub and subee) was 76%.

And there were only 5 players in the 70's.

Is this a product of the game, ie a slogging. Or a coaching style.

I remember in previous years, it wasn't so even.
I think it would be a bit of Coaching (constant rotations), a bit of sports science and A LOT OF our club being smarter !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Great rule. Footy has clearly been better in the last 2 years than the previous few and that is because the players get tired and there is less flooding and packs. 2 and 2 may just be to much but could also work.
That wasn't the original intention of the rule and people like Mick Malthouse would disagree with you.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That wasn't the original intention of the rule and people like Mick Malthouse would disagree with you.

Pretty sure it was. They wanted continuous play and the game would slow down because the players would be off the ground less time. And I am sure every coach would disagree but they dont want what is best for the game, they want what is best for their team.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I know it is a different game but Rugby league originally had an unlimited interchange that slowed the game down for the attacking team (defence was constantly formed and attack was stifled).

They changed it to 12 interchanges for the game and it has opened it up.

I'm with Plugger, the game opens up in the last quarter when the players become fatigued and the defensive structures break down a bit.

2 and 2 may be even better. Instead of athletes, we may get more footballers on the ground and more exciting attacking games.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Quixote
SS Life Member

2 and 2 will blandise the game.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:2 and 2 may be even better. Instead of athletes, we may get more footballers on the ground and more exciting attacking games.
i'd love to see 2 and 2. maybe just call it an experiment, do it for a couple of years and if it "fails" (by whatever criteria) then change back to 3 and 1. what's wrong with giving it a go?

karnak
Club Player

I'd like to see 3 and 2

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think it's interesting that we shifted from having a 19th/20th man to interchanging purely because Kevin Sheedy (& others) requested it, not sure how much science and testing went into that original change?

What is wrong with players getting tired?

I would prefer to see the better players out there longer (albeit tired) than 12 role-playing midfielders rotating every 3.5 minutes.

Be interesting to watch 2 good sides play without rotations.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Two man bench - stuff the subs as well. Players play positions. One on one battles return.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Austinnn
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Great rule. Footy has clearly been better in the last 2 years than the previous few and that is because the players get tired and there is less flooding and packs. 2 and 2 may just be to much but could also work.

Pretty sure it was. They wanted continuous play and the game would slow down because the players would be off the ground less time. And I am sure every coach would disagree but they dont want what is best for the game, they want what is best for their team.
Absolutely right. It was tabled at the time very clearly as a reaction to various complaints that the original idea of the interchange was being abused to advantage by Malthouse among others and people at the time pined for the days of the "last man standing" style of game, a game which the AFL had previously decided was too boring and slow to attract a modern crowd. Other reasons might have been to alleviate confusion about who was on the ground, but de-robot-ising the game was the key reason, and I'm confident that any research will back that up; not that I'll be bothered to do any myself...

I like it more now, because it does return the bench to the benched in some small way and requires a bit more of a gamble by the coaching staff. You drag someone, you have to be sure it's the right move.

I think the game could stand getting a bit slower and less technical; I'm sure the players wouldn't mind. But these 21st century spectators with their 'twittering' and their 'steroids' and.... (shaddupgrandad)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone