Ledger?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ledger?

This kids well ahead of Cripps... I don't get it

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:This kids well ahead of Cripps... I don't get it

And he will probably play ahead of him on friday night but there could be more to this than we know. Maybe he isnt training well or his attitude is poor. I do know he doesnt lack confidence. Maybe this is just to get his head where it should be. Who would know but i think we know one thing, most coaches are trying to win and as such usually play a side they think will win.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Must be more than meets the eye.
Maybe hes a little crook and/or having some other issues they dont want public. Might be something like lateness or something they want in-house.
On the other hand - I am not surprised Polo got a game. Coach loves him. But Surprised Newnes is ahead of Ledge. But I think Scotty knows what hes doing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Must be more than meets the eye.
Maybe hes a little crook and/or having some other issues they dont want public. Might be something like lateness or something they want in-house.
On the other hand - I am not surprised Polo got a game. Coach loves him. But Surprised Newnes is ahead of Ledge. But I think Scotty knows what hes doing.

I still want to know how you know the coach loves Polo. I have never heard him say it.

dascman
Club Player

I don't really rate Polo either, but the stats will show most weeks that he is up among our leaders in contested ball, tackling, 1%ers etc... and these are indicators that all coaches love virtually above all else these days.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I still want to know how you know the coach loves Polo. I have never heard him say it.
dont make me go and research it! i really cant be bothered. its monday and im having a shocker. he has said it twice at least. one was after maybe a sandy match and once after the power game when he got suspended. do you keep a database of every coach utterance?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If in doubt, ask him.

...so I did, said the team is playing too well, not injured or anything. Hoping this week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If in doubt, ask him.

...so I did, said the team is playing too well, not injured or anything. Hoping this week.
Radical approach!

Well done K :)

Gos

Good win by Saints and Polo did ok. But here we have a player who was one of the best pre season, goes in for the ball in contested situations and has pace. I don't get why he isn't getting a run particularly against the three teams we've played with younger players in their ranks. Saints have won both games, very close in first match but seems Conservative selection policy. A long season though so sure chance will come.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:If in doubt, ask him.
I like where your head's at. :D

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

stkildathunda had this to say about this on BF: "They probably thought it was better to get a full game into him in reserves rather then half game in AFL as was probably most likely going to be sub again. In first week he had minor hamstring injury which is why he missed, then last week he was sub and only played 1 qtr... "
He's usually well informed with these sort of things I think, so if what he said is true then it would explain why he's missed.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 17 Apr 2012 2:03am, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Polo is a solid body fill in anywhere utility that can be sent to patch up a leaky defence, defend forward, contest the midfield, Ledge is a developing mid with a light frame. conservatism wins more often than not. Newnes had 15 or so possies from a back pocket so is hard to oust.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I still want to see Ledger across 4 qtrs.....reckon he'll fade less than Cripps/Newnes.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In 5 minutes I have seen more in ledger than in Winmar and Cripps...... He took to it like a duck to water... Very happy if we took him as a first rounder in 2010 because in time when that draft is redone he will sit in the top 20 players, like Joey from 2001. Unfortunately Darling will be in the top 5

Bewildered about his omission..... Must have had a 12 hour, because he played the next day???

Or the club is making a poor call, but that's never happened in the past..... Has it, must be another explanation....let's not assume occams razor should be applied here

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Very happy if we took him as a first rounder in 2010 because in time when that draft is redone he will sit in the top 20 players, like Joey from 2001.
interesting call at this point.

definitely ahead of him now are swallow, gaff, heppell, atley, isaac smith, darling, luke parker, liberatore, fasolo, alex johnson, puopolo, duigan, probably also ben jacobs, harper, conca and o'shea.

he's currently in a big group with day, tape, prestia, lynch, bennell, polec, caddy, brodie smith, guthrie, harper, batchelor, wallis, cripps, smedts, gorringe.

i reckon there might be some solid competition for "top 20" of that draft. i really hope ledger ends up comfortably in that group but surely it's way too early to tell for sure.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No... To me, he shows a real ability to cope with AFL pressure, and acually thrives on it....

5 of those came into the AFL with a few years of state league seniors, and have less scope.... Tommy was playing WAFL colts... He has already taken great strides.......

He will overtake some bigger names and I think a few you mentioned actually disappointing

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

he was pick 59
3rd round
what are u guys on about
get off the crack

gosaints
Club Player

This is a Tommy Ledger quote from an article on saints.com.au leading into round 1.
I'd guess this is the reason he isn't cracking a game at the moment.

"I've just tried to build an endurance base because naturally I don't have that going across the ground. I can play in bursts but to be a top-line AFL midfielder you've got to run 14-15 kms a game. To get to that level I've got a long way to go."

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Newnes and ledger play very different roles.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Thinline wrote:Perhaps that spot will be rotated around a bit. Maybe Newnes or Cripps will topple out, Ledger will roll in.
I am all for rotating the youngens in and out of they get tired or form warrants a demotion. That being said it will annoy me if Polo or Blake keep their spots regularly ahead of say Ledger and Simpkin as we have enough mature quality players to bloody a few more at a time.
Blake? Why would you be annoyed about Blake? He is a godsend down there I reckon. Has been great these last few weeks.
+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:he was pick 59
3rd round
what are u guys on about
get off the crack
Shivers - I think BM was saying that had they taken Ledger 1st Rnd at 24 (instead of Cripps) - BM would have been happy. In other words Ledger is probably ahead of Cripps, at this stage anyway - and wouldn't be out of place among some of those good 1st Rnd picks in 2010.....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Darth Vader
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:This kids well ahead of Cripps... I don't get it

And he will probably play ahead of him on friday night but there could be more to this than we know. Maybe he isnt training well or his attitude is poor. I do know he doesnt lack confidence. Maybe this is just to get his head where it should be. Who would know but i think we know one thing, most coaches are trying to win and as such usually play a side they think will win.
Plugger's on the money.

Cracked them about being made sub in Round 2, didn't train properly in the week following, so was dropped for Round 3. Is probably a bit too aware that he's the best of the kids coming through. I like the club's speedy response to this - hopefully will be the rocket he needs.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think he is showing good signs and will become a good player, but right now he is ahead of no-one… He isn't in the side and is yet to play a full game as far as I can remember.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Darth Vader wrote:
Cracked them about being made sub in Round 2, didn't train properly in the week following, so was dropped for Round 3. Is probably a bit too aware that he's the best of the kids coming through. I like the club's speedy response to this - hopefully will be the rocket he needs.
Are you saying this is what happened, or what you think might have happened?

Darth Vader
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Are you saying this is what happened, or what you think might have happened?

No, this is definitely what happened.

But I wouldn't worry too much about him. It's very common - young player does well at lower level, gets a bit ahead of himself, gets slapped back down. Happens all the time, and I'm sure he'll be better for it.