What to do with Dean Polo...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What to do with Dean Polo...

Should we be playing him?

Several times on Friday night I was actually really impressed with his one on one in the backline, aerial work, composure etc and thought he looked pretty good.

Then of course he kicked the ball. As perfect a clanger as ever you'll see... no idea who the target was... mostly freo players around etc.

Certainly quality of disposal has been a major talking point at our club as over the last few seasons the debate RE endeavour VS skills (in lieu of both) has gone on with many players in the firing line: Peake, Gram, Ray, Blake, Jones (on my own on that 1 :wink: ) to name a few.

Is the guy worth persevering with? There certainly is something to like about the way he goes about it... has some really nice attrubutes. My feeling is though that in the modern game you can't afford to have players that can't hit targets; opposition clubs relish turnovers and OUR team struggles to counter punch because of the number of players we have that can't execute basic skills to a minimum AFL standard.

I like the kid but is he worth persevering with? Should we just cut our losses? Can he get better? Has he peaked?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: What to do with Dean Polo...

I could be wrong, but I assumed he wouldn't be playing if Gwilt and Schnieder were fit?

I'm not sure of what the eventual reshuffle would look like, or how the team would look like on paper, but I assumed it would be at the expense of two guys....Dean being one.

I could be completely wrong, as he has been solid, I guess I was assuming given these guys bring a bit of polish.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Was that the one where corralled he bombed it in to Roo? for an easy chest mark. He makes a few mistakes but has ramped up the intensity and holds his spot ATM. Coaches love those mid sized utilities that cover over a lot of holes. He is going well with Geary, Gilbert, Rhys and Kosi they are probably the most improved of our existing list. Biggest drop offs for mine are Montagna, Peake and Ray. Ray gets an excuse because he hasn't really had a go yet but the others look happy to drift. Scotty should maybe kick Milney and Joey up the arse Lyon style and send them back to Sandy for a weekend.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Drafted as back-up, did a good job last year, but is still back-up and should not be playing in front of Ledger or Ross.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Was that the one where corralled he bombed it in to Roo? for an easy chest mark.
I remember it was early in the 1st, did something really good and I thought ooo that's impressive and then kicked it 30m'ish forward straight to Freo players (IIRC... haven't seen a replay though)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

serioulsy he is such an enigma. i guess what we see is what did tiggers supporters heads in for a few years.
sometimes i love him and think oh yeah go polo. he has 3 skills. horizontal ball dives; hes good overhead; and he can tag some players.
but on the downside his kicking and handballing are almost comical. he simply loves handballing at guys feet. mind boggling sometimes. he also has a tendency to stand 5 metres from the play and jump and down on the spot. its almost weird.
in short. i have NFI what to do with him.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He'll do some great work every game and undo that great work with horrible disposal and decision making every game. He's getting a gig because he can play a few roles (ball winning mid, midfield tagger, medium defender and defensive forward), will give 100% and has good hands under pressure. But I don't think his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and he isn't getting any better.

Sure, he can come in if we lose several strong bodies to injury and we needs some size and experience, but while we've got a near full-strength list he shouldn't be playing. He is the exact type of player who needs to be overtaken by the kids, but he seems to be getting preference over them even while churning out mediocre performances. I'm sure he trains hard and follows the game plan perfectly, but he's just not a very good AFL footballer.

oh when the
Club Player

With very few exceptions most of our players undo their good work

spert
Saintsational Legend

Polo aint perfect, but he has a go..let's look at the efforts of a few of our more experienced players last Friday night..didn't work hard enough.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

How do you solve a problem like Dean Polo?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:How do you solve a problem like Dean Polo?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:How do you solve a problem like Dean Polo?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
de-list it.

honestly, if ryan gamble was still running around getting a game, many would still be saying he's good too…

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I don't remember that part of the song. :?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't remember that part of the song. :?
It's a remix I'm working on :)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

part of the stage show "The sound of recycled GOPS"

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

OK, cool, looking forward to it! :lol:

But how do make him play and kick it the way you say?

And I know he's not a "will-o'-the wisp", but is he a flibbertijibbet?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

It is like Andrew McQualter all over again. A pretty average player somehow getting games with bugger all upside.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: de-list it.

honestly, if ryan gamble was still running around getting a game, many would still be saying he's good too…
Absolutely... There's always going to be some supporters who blindly support every single player to a fault... Good for them, but the facts are, guys like Polo (and Gamble) are just not up to it... And they've been given plenty of opportunity and constantly stuff up

Just plain and simple can not kick... terrible... Personally, baring injury, I'd never play him again... Dont care how hard and committed he is, he pretty much plays for the opposition with his quality of disposal...