Cripps??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cripps??

what are you talking about.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'm not so concerned with his attack right now; he is still a fair way off having a body that could be of any use in contested situations at this level. What worries me has been his poor decision making and skills. He's in the team as an outside running player and that role requires at least competent kicking and composure. He's been panicking and turning the ball over far too much so far this year. Ledger and Siposs should be in the side before Cripps and Newnes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I'm not so concerned with his attack right now; he is still a fair way off having a body that could be of any use in contested situations at this level. What worries me has been his poor decision making and skills. He's in the team as an outside running player and that role requires at least competent kicking and composure. He's been panicking and turning the ball over far too much so far this year. Ledger and Siposs should be in the side before Cripps and Newnes.

How was Joey in his first few years and how was his composure late in the last quarter last night after 10 years of footy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joey had outstanding composure as a young footballer, why do you think it was an issue? It was one of the reasons he was drafted, his finishing skills, run and carry and decision making. Why else would you draft a 178cm 70kg wingman?

He kicked 6 off a wing in the VFL year one, and was entrusted with the kicking in duties. Unfortunately broke an ankle.

Composure has never been an issue for Joey as a rule, everyone makes the odd error. Even BJ.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And Cripps body looks fairly solid to me??

Definitely looks stronger through the core and quite solid nowadays....not skinny at all.

saintsdisco

I don't think there would be many players playing AFL footy who 'dog' contests. I also think that Crippsy is also trying to work out his role in the side and let's not forget that Dal was very much an outside player for the first 5 or so years. Oh and just one other thing, he is and will alwYs be battling a disease that can affect his performance.
For what it's worth :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And Cripps body looks fairly solid to me??

Definitely looks stronger through the core and quite solid nowadays....not skinny at all.

Well you are wrong. He is still a fair way off having an AFL body. Far to easy.

To the top
SS Life Member

What say the "know alls" on here turn their attention to the players who are arresting our development - Milne, Blake, Geary, Polo and the like who are either well past their best or have never had the quality to play MATCH DEFINING AFL football or have survived as average players in average teams?

Instead you pot a kid just starting his second season and with 8 games experience - with numerous of those as a substitute resulting in only a short time on the ground and where, no doubt, his brief is to use his pace to get clear balls and run the lines.

What impressed me in his few games last season was his ability to get off the square to impact on the centre bounce contest - and he was not "soft" at those contests.

What we lack in our list is the mid-range age bracket players (courtesy of the Financial Guru being more inclined to concentrate on his greed for money hence his "Storm Financial" bent - get rich quick on other people's money) due to poor recruiting and the concentration on very average quality re-cycled players instead of putting the work into drafted kids.

No doubt the return of Gwilt, Clarke and Gram will assist - but NOT at the expense of the likes of Cripps or Newnes or Simpkin - and where we look forward to others getting opportunity off the back of good, consistent football at VFL level.

The players who should firstly make way for Gwilt, Clarke and Gram are Milne, Blake and Polo.

Then Ledger for Geary because each of the 3 returning can improve our defence - significantly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:What say the "know alls" on here turn their attention to the players who are arresting our development - Milne, Blake, Geary, Polo and the like who are either well past their best or have never had the quality to play MATCH DEFINING AFL football or have survived as average players in average teams?

Instead you pot a kid just starting his second season and with 8 games experience - with numerous of those as a substitute resulting in only a short time on the ground and where, no doubt, his brief is to use his pace to get clear balls and run the lines.

What impressed me in his few games last season was his ability to get off the square to impact on the centre bounce contest - and he was not "soft" at those contests.

What we lack in our list is the mid-range age bracket players (courtesy of the Financial Guru being more inclined to concentrate on his greed for money hence his "Storm Financial" bent - get rich quick on other people's money) due to poor recruiting and the concentration on very average quality re-cycled players instead of putting the work into drafted kids.

No doubt the return of Gwilt, Clarke and Gram will assist - but NOT at the expense of the likes of Cripps or Newnes or Simpkin - and where we look forward to others getting opportunity off the back of good, consistent football at VFL level.

The players who should firstly make way for Gwilt, Clarke and Gram are Milne, Blake and Polo.

Then Ledger for Geary because each of the 3 returning can improve our defence - significantly.

Milne again. You have issues. Maybe even sillier is Geary, a back pocket player in form who plays on smalls is replaced by either Clarke who cant run with smalls or Gram who cant player as stopping back pocket player. OMG.

To the top
SS Life Member

A defence of:-

Simpkin Gilbert Dempster
Clarke Fisher Gwilt

would be just fine.

We can only play one of Dempster and Geary - and Dempster on current form wins that one including because he can kick distance accurately taking immediate pressure off the defence and he can not be isolated (191cm).

As for Milne, he is a liability and is costing us games (2 out of 4 so far this season) because the super work of Koschitzke, Stanley and Riewoldt is counting for nix, nought, nothing when the ball hits the ground - and we are then seeing it run out with your hero standing, hand in air saying "kick it to me".

Lok at the difference between Milera's defensive and opportunity work (although he needs to curb his excitement = finishing) and Milne's.

There is NO comparison.

Did you like Milne's goal on Friday? Stuff of a super hero, wasn't it? Won a hard contest opportunity, found space and set up the goal was the description against numbers, wasn't it?

Actually, typically, "swooped" on a dead ball which had dribbled forward from a free kick being paid and made what should have been a simple goal difficult by running at an angle to the goal. Then carried on like a "hero".

Trouble was that he had absolutely no impact on the game - including missing when Dawson gifted him an easy shot on goal by elbowing him to the chin for no reason.

Milne is 32 years old, is slow as treakle, is unable to win his own ball, is unable to contribute to required mid-field rotations, destroys pressure and structure and is a liability to the club because St Kilda can no longer afford his type of player.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:What say the "know alls" on here turn their attention to the players who are arresting our development - Milne, Blake, Geary, Polo and the like who are either well past their best or have never had the quality to play MATCH DEFINING AFL football or have survived as average players in average teams?

Geary would be close to leading the B&F at this stage… but carry on…

PJ
SS Life Member

Milney is not only important for our capacity to score he is also an important person to have in the squad because he keeps morale up and encourages the young players around him - he gets the players up. He is a team player no matter what external perceptions are.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You really have no knowledge of footy. We are playing both Dempster and Geary at the moment and that is working just fine because you tell us we would have won both games if it wasnt for Milne. That in itself is a disgraceful comment and also an illogical comment and worst of all a lack of footy knowledge comment. You really have no idea but the day Milne does get dropped or retired you will be first on here telling us how right you are.

The problem is you are in debit so far with your comments you are nearly bankrupt and one eventually correct call will only save you until the next silly call. Cahill will play soon and is a very good player. Johnson is a FB and should play there and the funniest of them all is about Milney. 2 years of bagging and telling us how poor he is and who should get their first AA last year. Yep you got that one right.

And to blame a Saints star player for over 10 years on our 2 losses this year really does disgust me.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Geary and Dempster are entirely different players..... One is a clear small defender, who carries the ball... One is a tallish utility who does jobs on different types

Both in clearly..... One fished top 5 last year, one is currently top 5 this year, probably both are??

183cm 81kg.....cripps
178cm 76kg....ledger
182cm 74kg.....Andreoli
184cm 76kg.....Newnes
181cm 76kg......Geary
178cm 78kg......Montagna
185cm 78kg.....Milera
176cm 74kg.....Saad

Not sure what an AFL body looks like, is there a kilo cut off??
Is Rob Murphy an Exception

Truth is, I'll take an attitude anyway over a few kilos..... And it of course depends on the role.... Tom Simpkin he has got a body, but it won't compare to a lot of his opponents in 2012.

Geary is the biggest example...... He fights above his weight, and loves it.....he has a hunger for the contest....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:183cm 81kg.....cripps
178cm 76kg....ledger
182cm 74kg.....Andreoli
184cm 76kg.....Newnes
181cm 76kg......Geary
178cm 78kg......Montagna
185cm 78kg.....Milera
176cm 74kg.....Saad

Geary is the biggest example...... He fights above his weight, and loves it.....he has a hunger for the contest....
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those stats which don't ever seem to be updated. Geary would definitely be pushing 85kg now as would Joey. Cripps might have the total weight but I don't think he has the core and upper body strength to really compete with most AFL players. Those measurements were probably taken when he first came to the club and he would have shed a few kgs of fat from the extra training and dieting before putting muscle on. He has certainly built up a bit over the past year but he's still a couple of years away from having the body for regular AFL footy.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
BigMart wrote:183cm 81kg.....cripps
178cm 76kg....ledger
182cm 74kg.....Andreoli
184cm 76kg.....Newnes
181cm 76kg......Geary
178cm 78kg......Montagna
185cm 78kg.....Milera
176cm 74kg.....Saad

I wouldn't pay too much attention to those stats which don't ever seem to be updated. Geary would definitely be pushing 85kg now as would Joey. Cripps might have the total weight but I don't think he has the core and upper body strength to really compete with most AFL players. Those measurements were probably taken when he first came to the club and he would have shed a few kgs of fat from the extra training and dieting before putting muscle on. He has certainly built up a bit over the past year but he's still a couple of years away from having the body for regular AFL footy.
Spot on. They never get updated.

Goddard is still listed as 189cm. Unless he grew to 191cm then back down a couple since being drafted those stats are very questionable.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Happy 20th birthday Jamie enjoy

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BadRossco
Club Player

Cripps may not like the hard ball but is not alone you can add Ray, Gram, Sippos and Winmar to that list. Then we have the likes of Jones, Steven, Peake, Geary and Gilbert who will get the hard ball but then butcher it. I still can't believe John Beveridge over looking darling to recruit Cripps, thankfully Pelchin will use this years possible early draft picks wisely.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote:Cripps may not like the hard ball but is not alone you can add Ray, Gram, Sippos and Winmar to that list. Then we have the likes of Jones, Steven, Peake, Geary and Gilbert who will get the hard ball but then butcher it. I still can't believe John Beveridge over looking darling to recruit Cripps, thankfully Pelchin will use this years possible early draft picks wisely.

Firstly what has John Beveridge got to do with recruiting Cripps and secondly many other clubs missed out on Darling. Matter of fact every club did.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, John Beveridge is still a recruiter at stk

Secondly, Not West Coast.

And their comment after the draft..... I cannot believe we got two top ten draft picks, with 4 and 25.....Gaff, Darling... Not too shabby

And like us, every other club outside the top shelf made a big mistake....

Probably the real validation of guessing Cripps size, what not his stats on footywire....... But standing 1m from him at sandy the other week. I would go as far as saying he is nuggety.
Geary is as skinny as, nowhere near 85kg....not even 80....Joey has a solidish upper body, skinny legs is 5'8" and also not near 85kg.....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Arryn Siposs is one of the more courageous player you'll come across. He has no issue putting his body on the line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly, John Beveridge is still a recruiter at stk

Secondly, Not West Coast.

And their comment after the draft..... I cannot believe we got two top ten draft picks, with 4 and 25.....Gaff, Darling... Not too shabby

And like us, every other club outside the top shelf made a big mistake....

Probably the real validation of guessing Cripps size, what not his stats on footywire....... But standing 1m from him at sandy the other week. I would go as far as saying he is nuggety.
Geary is as skinny as, nowhere near 85kg....not even 80....Joey has a solidish upper body, skinny legs is 5'8" and also not near 85kg.....

And people say i argue for the sake of it. Bevo is a recruiter but do you honestly think he had the final say on Cripps. Seriously you have no idea. WCE didnt take Darling first so they could have easily missed out on him so they did so no initially. Cripps is far from nuggety unless he has become so in 2 weeks. You are now a weight expert. Amazing. Far to easy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So they were going to pass on Gaff were they...... You're a fool... Darling fell into their lap, and they loved it.... BTW how's young Jack going.... Played 25 games as a Key fwd I think at 20..... Can I make a judgement on him at such a young age??? I better not...

Also, since you're mates with the beveridges, exactly what role is JB playing in recruiting?? He has no influence??

I don't think any said he had final say, but pay a TEAM of recruiters.... Don't they all get a say... Distributive responsibility I believe it's called

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So they were going to pass on Gaff were they...... You're a fool... Darling fell into their lap, and they loved it.... BTW how's young Jack going.... Played 25 games as a Key fwd I think at 20..... Can I make a judgement on him at such a young age??? I better not...

Also, since you're mates with the beveridges, exactly what role is JB playing in recruiting?? He has no influence??

I don't think any said he had final say, but pay a TEAM of recruiters.... Don't they all get a say... Distributive responsibility I believe it's called

Far to easy. By the way not quoting me doesnt mean you dont stalk my posts. The initial comment on Bevo proves it. Far to easy. Maybe others think I stalk your posts but at least I quote. Your arrogance wont let you and you expect people to know what post you are commenting on even if it is 3 pages ago. far to easy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:So they were going to pass on Gaff were they...... You're a fool... Darling fell into their lap, and they loved it.... BTW how's young Jack going.... Played 25 games as a Key fwd I think at 20..... Can I make a judgement on him at such a young age??? I better not...

Far to easy. By the way not quoting me doesnt mean you dont stalk my posts. The initial comment on Bevo proves it. Far to easy. Maybe others think I stalk your posts but at least I quote. Your arrogance wont let you and you expect people to know what post you are commenting on even if it is 3 pages ago. far to easy.
I honestly don't know what you two would do without each other…

B.T.W. I don't normally correct spelling, but since you are using it 2-3 times per post, you need 2 o's

far TOO easy

Carry on.