Cripps??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cripps??

He played a better game tonight but still isn't as clean as he needs to be. I'd still rather Siposs or Ledger get a fair go

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:He played a better game tonight but still isn't as clean as he needs to be. I'd still rather Siposs or Ledger get a fair go
Well he performed better for the Saints than Ledger did for the Zebras a few hours earlier.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We're you watching the same games??

Ledger had close to ten clearances....cripps had 10 possesions....

After watching both games, I think I know who the better player is...... Without a shadow of a doubt

Siposs, not sure what's goin on there.....bizarre really

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't know age was the main factor in being hard at the footy.....

Someone should have told Joel Selwood early doors....

Fact is, intent has nothing to do with age.... Tom Ledger is hard as a cats head and is a month older than Cripps, who is TWENTY!

All the examples given, showed glimpses of real ability, sorry to say.... I'm yet to see anything to suggest he is even any good....and that's at VFL or afl level....

Tonight was his first double figure possession game (11) I have seen him in.

As I said, hope he makes improvements and turns out a ripper....ATM he's being gifted games

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:He played a better game tonight but still isn't as clean as he needs to be. I'd still rather Siposs or Ledger get a fair go
Well he performed better for the Saints than Ledger did for the Zebras a few hours earlier.
Stupid comment. Ledger was great in the sandy game.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I'm yet to see anything to suggest he is even any good....and that's at VFL or afl level....

Tonight was his first double figure possession game (11) I have seen him in.

As I said, hope he makes improvements and turns out a ripper....ATM he's being gifted games
Pretty much agree with that.

I have high hopes for him, but I just would much prefer to see Ledger or Siposs in there at this stage, as Cripps just isn't getting it enough. 6, 6, 7, 4 and 11 possies in 5 (full or partial) games of footy, when you're playing in reasonably high possession positions, is just not enough, when there are others in the same boat who aren't getting that chance.

He doesn't have to play every game in the seniors to develop. He can also develop in the VFL.

I think we should at the very least have a look at Ledger and/or Siposs before the likes of Schneider and Gwilt are due back (who will take up two available spots).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm pretty sure Ledger's playing on the ball at VFL level, while Cripps is playing off the ball at AFL level. Comparing possession rate for the two isn't exactly going to be useful. If Ledge had played in Cripps' spot, he probably would have matched Jamie's clearance count.

To me, Cripps looks plenty hard at it. He's a bit fumbly and rushed with his kicking right now for my liking, but I'm not starting hate threads about it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think he's had a decent enough go and is now ripe to go back to the VFL to work on key areas of his game whilst one of Ledger, Siposs, Saad etc get a shot.

Nobody in this thread is writing him off... but clearly he's not at the standard we want for a junior player just yet

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly, IMO.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

On what I've seen, none of Cripps, Ledger or Siposs are screaming out for an AFL spot ATM. I trust the coach and selectors to make the right choices re these guys.

Newnes was the one who has impressed me. He's got that undefinable "something" about him. I was disappointed not to see him out there tonight: I reckon he'd have done well.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think the coach has made a few massive selection errors this year...

Not sure of the reasons but they have been as clear as day.....and costly

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think the coach has made a few massive selection errors this year...

Not sure of the reasons but they have been as clear as day.....and costly
Big Mart, I dont want to start a flame war between you and plugger or anyone else, but in your opinion what have been Watters major blunders in selection so far?

I have no opinion on your opinion if that makes sense, would just like to see if they have any similarity to my thoughts, especially the for the positions the younger players have been battling for.

I agree re Ledger/Cripps and would have thought a Ledger type player would have been much more valuable last night and his contribution for Sandy was far superior to Cripps for the seniors (even taking into account the conditions and opposition).

From last night, I also think the Gram decision was curious. A penetrating player in dry conditions, not suited to last night as a first game back. Those are just two, would be interested on your take the previous rounds.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Don't normally disagree with you Doc, but Ledgers influence in the last qtr for Sandy was enormous. Had a massive say in the result of the game. Chalk and cheese IMO. But hey...

I think Scotty and the match committee decided to give Cripps a full game tonight to see where he is at. Don't forget he has been our sub for the last couple of games and you don't get a full gauge where a player is at, as a sub.

Comparing Ledger with Cripps is wrong they are total different style of player Ledger is an in and under. Cripps is and outside player. We have enough in & Under players in the team at the moment, that's why Ledger is not playing. We will have the same selection problems next week with Kosi back. We can not go in with 4 tall forwards unless one is a sub.

I agree Sippa in for Cripps next week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Don't normally disagree with you Doc, but Ledgers influence in the last qtr for Sandy was enormous. Had a massive say in the result of the game. Chalk and cheese IMO. But hey...
Cool brother.

If people think he was great then fair enough. I was watching the Zebs game late at night and maybe I drifted off a bit after that 3rd quarter :wink:

As far as the first half goes it was Siposs, Dunnell and Freguson who really caught my eye.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Tonight was his first double figure possession game (11) I have seen him in.
it was only his second full game of his career! but he was very quiet in the gold coast game which was the previous one.

i agree that it's not completely clear why he's getting a game ahead of others, but i suppose he can go forward and back - coach likes flexibility?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cool brother.

If people think he was great then fair enough. I was watching the Zebs game late at night and maybe I drifted off a bit after that 3rd quarter :wink:

As far as the first half goes it was Siposs, Dunnell and Freguson who really caught my eye.
Agree 100% with those 3 Doc. Really impressive. Can't explain the 3rd qtr though. Very strange.

He's played full games in the VFL

JB

I think the non selection of Siposs and Ledger after the pre season was bizarre, particularly after the collingwood game, where I had both player in our top 4 and then to not be in the best 21 R1... A bit baffling.

Theory
Trying to build Arryns fitness base to play wing as we are going with a 3/3 fwd structure.
Teaching Ledger an attitude lesson as on here it is reported he has got ahead of himself??

Polo has been interesting
Did not deserve a game round 1 but was excellent, in a defensive role, got suspended, got straight back in did OK again....lost his spot in the 18 to Gram and started sub.....I would have do that the other way around

B
Ale is also interesting....now Simpkin is in.... They play the same role, and it displaces someone from defense

Anyway, I think the jury as out on Scotty. Presents well, substance will be only evident after 15 rounds...ATM he is where you'd expect a rookie coach, making some errors in hindsight...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Anyway, I think the jury as out on Scotty. ..
Even if we had won all 5 games by 100 points, the jury would be out as he has only coached 5 games.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:I think Scotty and the match committee decided to give Cripps a full game tonight to see where he is at. Don't forget he has been our sub for the last couple of games and you don't get a full gauge where a player is at, as a sub.

Comparing Ledger with Cripps is wrong they are total different style of player Ledger is an in and under. Cripps is and outside player. We have enough in & Under players in the team at the moment, that's why Ledger is not playing. We will have the same selection problems next week with Kosi back. We can not go in with 4 tall forwards unless one is a sub.

I agree Sippa in for Cripps next week.
Sensible post.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:He's played full games in the VFL
About as many as he's played at AFL level. His first game he spent a lot of time on the bench with a soft tissue injury. He played one more game at VFL level before injuring his calf. He came back through the reserves and played one more game at the end of the year.

The only time he played against Frankston was in preseason.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Fazer
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cool brother.

Agree 100% with those 3 Doc. Really impressive. Can't explain the 3rd qtr though. Very strange.
Thought Ross was excellent as well in the first half, very smooth operator. Ledger didn't touch it until the last quarter where he got abot 10 clearances and probably set up the win.

kalsaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Why.... Do you think it's never happened??

It is fair and just criticism of a paid footballer..... Do they escape critique....

Did not pull out tonight, just not hard enough at it on the HBF and in the FP when it was his turn....... I think he has been 'gifted games' as you call it, without actually demonstrating a good performance in prac games, at sandy or at STK......has he played a good game whilst at stk since he arrived?.....ie/ more than 20 touches... Not from my memory
As I said, he must train well.....

Which attribute or performance stands out???

He did hesitate, pull out, dog it..or..however you want to describe it last year twice, right in front of me, can be a confidence thing..... Like with Fiora, or just not a natural instinct to put your face over the pill.....

I love Tommy Ledger's style and would ideally have him in the side. On Sippos, he works hard, marks like a tall player and kicks long and accurately at goal but I dont recall any games where he got 20 + possesions either so the comparison is based on different players attributes, not stats.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
Leo.J wrote:There's alot of opinions and assumptions around here.

It is a forum after all.

It's funny how people think that their opinion is more valid than others.
No it would be funny if people thought their opinions were less valid than others :wink:
Right on the money. Ask Goddard, he had plenty to day in the game. I am sure he wouldn't have bothered if his opinion was considered less valuable than others. It relates to will, decision making and leadership ultimately.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.