This weeks team - official

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: This weeks team - official

Match ups?
for mine:

Geary to Rioli
Jones to Mitchell
Simpkin and Blake to have first crack at Lance and Roughhead
Fisher in reserve if Lance plays up

I think the Hawks will struggle with matchs up more than us.. in particular it may be the week the Roo cuts loose given that Gibson is not playing.. not convinced by shoenmakers

Quixote
SS Life Member

Saad emergency. Perhaps a subtle little reminder to Milney. Who, though we love him, has been well below his best this year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Three players looked a bit sore to me at the end of last week's game. Blake with that knee, McEvoy, who took a knock early in the last quarter and battled on, and Armitage, who looked to have tightened up in the hamstring in the last couple of minutes of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those three doesn't play, and maybe even two. Kosi would replace McEvoy or Blake, and Polo would obviously cover Armitage.

I'd be really surprised if there's no late change

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Franklin is too tall for Simpkin imo. Better off set Gilbo a challenge. Blake seems natural fit for Roughead.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yep, I think Gilbert is the best option for Franklin. He has the leg speed to go with him and he's played on him before. Roughead is massive, and Simpkin is about 15kg lighter, so we look to have a problem there is Blake doesn't play.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im very worried about their 2 tall fwds this week. we will be stretched.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Were you at the game, To The Top? Did you even watch it, or just look at the stats?

Wilkes work when he doesn't have the ball has been a talking point in his VFL games this year and we got to see that for us on the weekend. Did a lot of good stuff, like two genuinely crunching tackles, good second and third efforts when the ball hit the deck, crashed one pack in the air really hard and directed the ball down to the numbers we had at the bottom of it and knew when and where to fly for marks and when to stay out of the contests. While we love the high marking Kosi does, he does also have a habit of crunching into the likes of Roo, when they're trying to mark, while Wilkes seemed to have a bit more "smarts" about him, knowing which ones to fly for and which ones to stay out of.

And yes, two of Wilkes goals came before the rain arrived. The game was relatively free-flowing and high scoring to that point, but once it got wet, guess what? It developed into much more of a scrap and went from a game where the ball was being moved into the forward line well, to a game where the ball was just being forced forward any which way, which makes it much more difficult for anyone to mark a ball up forward.

Between the time the rain started (very end of the 1st) and the time Wilkes was subbed off (mid way through the third) hardly anyone for either team took an overhead mark, but in the two minutes before he was subbed off, Wilkes took two of them, including a hanger. As they said in commentary at the time, he was the "most likely to score out of anyone up forward for either team". And of course if you're playing forward at St Kilda and your name isn't Nick Riewoldt, then the ball isn't going to be going through you all that often, especially when it's just your first game for the club.

So he did very well from the low number of opportunities he had and did a lot of good stuff when he didn't have the ball, which would be a large part of the reason he's kept his spot. He also only spent 53% of the match on the ground. So to kick 3 goals (the most anyone kicked for the game for either team) from full forward, in just 3% over half a game, is a fine effort and it's very well worth having a look to see if he'll do that on a consistent basis.
He had 2 tackles for the game when the side had nearly 100!! No smothers, no goal assists.

ThePunter
Club Player

Wilkes can catch it and kick it. I think he probably brings to the table about 90% of what Kosi brings, and Kosi did go and get himself stupidly suspended. Until Wilkes deserves to go back to Sandy... I'd be happy with either in the side.

Hawthorn have gone small - Gibson and McCauley out. Remember it was only when the went small last year (Gilham and Hale injured, Roughead and Franklin in the ruck) that they turned the game around. Reckon Clarko thinks he knows how to beat us.

Siposs being brought back in makes me think Watters thinks he is best 22, but was just waiting for him to show it. Very happy he is in.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Gilbert to Franklin, Blake to Roughhead seems to be the best opening combination.

Mitchell sets them up, so Jones to him.

Considering the likely slippery conditions, Kosi could well miss out and I love Sipposs on the big MCG with his precise kicking into the forward line.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:He had 2 tackles for the game when the side had nearly 100!! No smothers, no goal assists.
Yes and Kosi in 4 matches has had 9 tackles and no goal assists… has he made a smother?

supersaints
Club Player

I think Kosi will play............

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Junior
Club Player

Don't believe McEvoy will play.

Was limping terribly at the Supermarket the other night according to my wife and daughter.

They reckon he looked like he could not bend his knee.

So McEVoy out and Kosi in for me.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dont think koz will play

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters says the decision to leave Justin Koschitzke on the emergency list for Saturday night's clash against Hawthorn has more to do with enforcing discipline than any concerns over the weather

edit
but if big boy is sore then he might come in to ruck??

defacto
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Blake to Roughhead seems to be the best opening combination.
SuperDuper wrote:Simpkin and Blake to have first crack at Lance and Roughhead
Con Gorozidis wrote:im very worried about their 2 tall fwds this week. we will be stretched.
cwrcyn wrote:Yep, I think Gilbert is the best option for Franklin. He has the leg speed to go with him and he's played on him before. Roughead is massive, and Simpkin is about 15kg lighter, so we look to have a problem there is Blake doesn't play.
rest easy. theres no way roughhead will play fwd. gibson will not play. that leaves them a defender down (when their defence is already their biggest weakness) to contend with Rewioldt, Wilkes and Stanley.

they will go with the one tall option fwd. maybe run a ruck/gunston through there at times and then just stack it with mids.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:dont think koz will play

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters says the decision to leave Justin Koschitzke on the emergency list for Saturday night's clash against Hawthorn has more to do with enforcing discipline than any concerns over the weather

edit
Bet Al Clarkson is happy about the naughty corner

(maybe to make Kos think he is out, but I don't buy it...if he is, I'll be truly shocked)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Don't believe McEvoy will play.

Was limping terribly at the Supermarket the other night according to my wife and daughter.

They reckon he looked like he could not bend his knee.

So McEVoy out and Kosi in for me.
nothing a jab can't fix.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kosi will play surely. He is in his best form for 3 years and deserves to play. Wilkes will surely go out. We cant lose a runner.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

As I've protested in the seasons past, I'm not the biggest Dempster fan, but he has lifted his game in the last 12 months, and while I still do not rate his ability and decision making with the ball in his hands, his defensive side is better than ever...

For that reason I'd play him on Franklin first... For a 6'6" KP gun, Buddy has terrible hands overhead, and will not be a high marking threat, especially if it is a bit greasy... His strength is his speed and elusiveness on the spilled/ground balls in the forward half... Super dangerous anytime the ball has not been marked or is out in the open... Unusual for a big body player...

So Dempster is the most likely to match him around the contests for strength and speed IMO, and has the single mindedness to not get dejected if a few go Buddy's way early...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:dont think koz will play

edit
Then again, maybe he will :)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 6346727627

"ST KILDA coach Scott Watters says Justin Koschitzke could come into the side to tackle Hawthorn tomorrow night.

Watters said the forward, who has been named as an emergency, could blame his Round 4 tribunal report for not being named in the starting line-up.

"I guess the message that it sends is that if you get suspended through reckless and undisciplined behaviour, and it was, one it costs our team and ultimately you give the opportunity for someone else to play," Watters said on Friday morning.

"If they play their role, strong chance they'll stay in the side, so you need to be disciplined with your actions," Watters said on Friday morning.

"It's a tough call, because he was good in the last game ... Any one of our 25, right at the moment, could play..........."

hAyES
Club Player

This is the most exciting side we've seen for a long time. Gwilt in to replace Blake eventually and Schneider in for whoever I think we can give this thing a real shake up.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:This is the most exciting side we've seen for a long time. Gwilt in to replace Blake eventually and Schneider in for whoever I think we can give this thing a real shake up.
lets wait and see how we go over the next 4 weeks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
hAyES
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
hAyES wrote:This is the most exciting side we've seen for a long time. Gwilt in to replace Blake eventually and Schneider in for whoever I think we can give this thing a real shake up.
lets wait and see how we go over the next 4 weeks.
Absolutely. Not getting ahead of myself, just think once we give this team a few weeks to gel we'll start to see a team that gives the best ones a run for their money even if we don't make the top 4.

If we win 2 of the next 4 I'll be stoked.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Surprised if Kosi doesn't play.

Very.
He will play for Sandy on Sunday. Punishment for acts of stupidity in three of the four games he's played.
Only three out of four. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about Kosi.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Hope there is no change.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
stinger
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I think Kosi will play............
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 6346727627

St Kilda big man Justin Koschitzke may come into team to play Hawthorn

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.