Goddard on SEN, what did he say?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard on SEN, what did he say?

Well, the good news is we are still winning without BJ having a massive impact. So if does go, it won't be huge for us as things stand right now. Early draft picks is something this club hasn't had in 10 years. Will make trade week very interesting if nothing else

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think he's probably going, which is unfortunate. The money on offer will be astronomical. It could be up to $300,000 higher than our best offer.

But he can play a massive part in the rest of the season.

And while he could play football at a high level until the age of 32, he will be 28 next year.

If we can secure a top five pick and a top 15 pick, that could position us to secure some genuine talent in the years to come. I'd definitely think about it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I think he's probably going, which is unfortunate. The money on offer will be astronomical. It could be up to $300,000 higher than our best offer.

But he can play a massive part in the rest of the season.

And while he could play football at a high level until the age of 32, he will be 28 next year.

If we can secure a top five pick and a top 15 pick, that could position us to secure some genuine talent in the years to come. I'd definitely think about it.
I think it's okay for us to think about it but I'm not sure that's how it will play out in real life.

I reckon the Saints want to hang on to BJ and will make an offer based on his ability to play the game and our ability to fit everyone into the salary cap. And assuming GWS do actually still want him and that they are prepared to throw the farm at him, yes their offer is likely to be well in excess of ours and will be extremely tempting.

My view is that if Goddard goes it will be due to the club's inability to offer him enough while at the same time acting in a financially responsible manner. I'm not sure it will be because we think the "losing him" option is the better option.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Get a decent ruck and a reasonable mid if he goes.

Every cloud.

Not sure he said anything then that he hasn't already articulated.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Feel sorry for the bloke. If you were asked the same question 100 times, you would try and find some different words to express the same sentiment ... in BJ's case it doesn't matter what he says, the media and St Kilda supporters pounce on him.

He's a great footballer and has been fantastic for the Saints. We would never have drawn a GF if it wasn't for this bloke. How about his courage in the '09 GF when he got smashed and kept playing?

Bit of respect for the position that he is in would be nice.
+1

Stay or go, the Saints and BJ will both will come out of it well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintly
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:In any negotiation, you lose if you let your intentions known. Goddards management will be telling him to say nothing regardless of his feelings toward the saints. I hope he stays - I heard the interview and am split in my thughts whether he will stay or go. Either way he's played it well.

I don't mind if he goes to GWS. two round 1 compensation picks is fine by me. I would hate for him to go to Freo, or Carlton

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Is he really THAT good? I don't think he is elite by any means. He's probably a good ordinary player or just above that. I think we can easily cover him.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Yes he is really that good...

In the top handful of players in the comp, without doubt..

In the event that he does go, and we get 2 first rounders, how do we activate them, and can we use them in this years draft, seeing as it is being touted a 'super draft', and trade week is before draft week?

paddy
Club Player

The AFL have advised that regarless of the player, they will only award 1 draft pick as compensation, for a player who leaves as a result of free agency.

What number draft pick is determined by the 'eliteness' of the player who leaves. In our case, we would be looking at 1 very early draft pick, but that is all.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Goddard aint worth more than 600k. Ablett is worth 1-1.2m (under a normal club salary cap), and he is at least twice the player Goddard is.

Would love to keep him, but wouldn't blame him if he left for a 5 mil contract.

Personally think Jack Steven is currently a better player and believe the gap will continue to stretch.

(Also think Dal Santo, Hayes, Riewoldt, Fisher are equal to or better than BJ currently)
Last edited by Beekay on Thu 31 May 2012 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

If you can't retain gun players, then you dont win premierships, and this club has a long history of losing gun players, and trading for hacks. Goddard should be a priority to retain. He could go to GWS and set himself up for life, but would never play in another premiership in his AFL career- at least Ablett can look at the silverware while he counts his money.

paddy
Club Player

paddy wrote:The AFL have advised that regarless of the player, they will only award 1 draft pick as compensation, for a player who leaves as a result of free agency.

What number draft pick is determined by the 'eliteness' of the player who leaves. In our case, we would be looking at 1 very early draft pick, but that is all.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/o ... 1uyiy.html

"Any club that loses an elite player will receive a maximum of one first-round draft pick, not the two early picks Geelong and Melbourne received for losing Ablett and Scully to expansion teams."

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:It will all come down to $$$. The club want to keep Goddard but they dont rate him anywhere near the echelon that some of the media do. Apart from a pocket of brilliant games towards the end of the 2010 season they rate him nowhere near the hysteria some commentators have. So in a nutshell if another club offers him big biccies our club wont match it. He does want to stay however. Dont ask me how I know
My view also. No way I'd be paying enormous coin off a handful good games and a goof GF FFS Hayes does it weekly!!

“Yeah….nah””
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Yes he is really that good...

In the top handful of players in the comp, without doubt..

In the event that he does go, and we get 2 first rounders, how do we activate them, and can we use them in this years draft, seeing as it is being touted a 'super draft', and trade week is before draft week?
Off course he is that good.....the doubters come out if he doesn't totally dominate every single match, because of the standard he set - it's like they're looking for fault IMO.
I don't think he will leave the Saints.

Don't know the rules about activating compensation DP.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:
paddy wrote:The AFL have advised that regarless of the player, they will only award 1 draft pick as compensation, for a player who leaves as a result of free agency.

"Any club that loses an elite player will receive a maximum of one first-round draft pick, not the two early picks Geelong and Melbourne received for losing Ablett and Scully to expansion teams."
We could still lose him to GWS though without using the free agency rules, which would then surely give us the 2 picks like Melbourne and Geelong.

defacto
Club Player

dragit wrote:
paddy wrote:

We could still lose him to GWS though without using the free agency rules, which would then surely give us the 2 picks like Melbourne and Geelong.
this. if goddard goes it will be to GWS, where they can offer some serious coin. i dont think the other clubs have the cap to get him.

thankfully we are in the drivers seat on this one. theres a super draft coming up, we lose him to GWS, we get 2 first rounders and get the chance to pick up 2 quality kids regardless of where we fall during the year. add the normal first rounder and we have a really good opportunity to rebuild. if we can shed another player thats replaceable for a early 2nd rounder then were in a very very good position to rebuild.

if goddard stays then we have a quality player with another 3-4 years of football minimum left in him.

win-win.

club before player.

Megsie
Club Player

BJ sounded more like he was staying than going.
Typical media pull out snippets for "news breaks"
& to hell with the context in which it is spoken.

Herald/sun only wrote HALF of the milne article
as published by the OPI on their site...hmmmmmmmm
maybe hs could ask Mr. Malthouse if he would like to
make a "public apology" to our Milney.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Lockett once said "I'm here to stay"

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Lockett once said "I'm here to stay"
Which is not quite the same as "I'm staying here" :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Lockett once said "I'm here to stay"
Which is not quite the same as "I'm staying here" :wink:
are you a solicitor ? :wink:

andrewg
Club Player

BJ has one contract offer from saints and one from GWS on the table. He is in the process of "deciding" reality is the longer the decision takes the mre chance he is of leaving. This is fact.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

People say that it will be a win win if he goes and it might be but in the short term we will take a big hit if he goes. I don't rate BJ as a super star but that doesn't mean that he's not important to our team. I can't count how many times I looked around the ground and saw him on his own directing traffic and helping set up plays in the back half. I liked seeing that. If he goes we'll certainly feel it. I really hope he stays.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Turbo
Club Player

Some time soon.
defacto
Club Player

he did get a bit rattled about the contract talk, first time ive heard him get that rattled by it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:BJ has one contract offer from saints and one from GWS on the table. He is in the process of "deciding" reality is the longer the decision takes the mre chance he is of leaving. This is fact.

Like the other 4 or 5 things you said as fact that turned out to be pretty poor fiction?