A great game to be a part of

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A great game to be a part of

I know it was a cow of a result, but what a cracker of a match it was against the Tigers! An almost capacity crowd going off right until the final siren, two teams going at each other goal-for-goal, hit-for-hit. I normally would not want a bar of an "honourable loss" but that was just one hell of a game of footy and I was so happy to be a part of it. Keep the faith Sainters! Don't let the frustration of one result going against us spoil what is turning out to be a very exciting season for us...........Imagine how it must be to follow Freo :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
paddy
Club Player

Re: A great game to be a part of

hear hear....

(and I know scotty wont use it as an excuse, but I will) how well will we do once we have our full squad fit?!

Benny, Stanley and Fish probably would have been the difference on friday, but shows tremenous spirit and determination that we hung in their and never said die.

So proud that our club is being referred to as 'brave and tough'... a great brand of footy!!

GO SAINTS!!!

felix
Club Player

Was thinking the same thing, most exhilarating game I've seen for yonks which makes losing a little easier.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Great responses Folks!!! how good were the supporters? The noise levels in that last quarter were awesome! Sainters...you ROCK!!!!!!!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Best game of full-on footy I've seen since the Geelong game in 2009 when Gardi kicked the winner! What a refreshing change of culture from the Ross Lyon era.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I agree it was a great atmosphere.
You did a fine job of revving up the crowd. We sat right behind you :-)

Looking at it objectively we played very well and I'm happy with the effort. Considering we had our first and second ruck missing, lost the hitouts 42-10 and also had our AA CHB in Fisher out we did o.k.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
PaytonPlace
Club Player

I can tell it was a good game, I still can't talk...

Awesome atmosphere, just terrible we couldn't get the points...

Still, if I gonna pick a game to be the first one I get to for the year, that one was a cracker!

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
milney044
Club Player

Very enjoyable game, minus the result. And I have to mention the atmosphere too because it was electric, including the social club area which I haven't been too impressed with, but they were great and it was a fantastic contest. Looking forward to heading up to the Gold Coast this week. :D

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
paulski
Club Player

Yep, awesome game, great atmosphere.

Thought Saints supporters were losing their passion over the last few years, but we seem
to lift for the big games. Maybe it was just Lyin's game style.

Trying to outsupport the Tiger faithful had a bit to do with it I think!

Was sitting just right of the cheersquad, and it was bloody loud down there!!

Cheersquad had a crack, but I reakon it's majority female. Explains why they're not the loudest.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

paulski wrote:Yep, awesome game, great atmosphere.

Thought Saints supporters were losing their passion over the last few years, but we seem
to lift for the big games. Maybe it was just Lyin's game style.

Trying to outsupport the Tiger faithful had a bit to do with it I think!

Was sitting just right of the cheersquad, and it was bloody loud down there!!

Cheersquad had a crack, but I reakon it's majority female. Explains why they're not the loudest.
Careful now....I'll have you know I can scream pretty loudly when I want to! Especially when people start getting into Milney! Ha ha, but that might be an American thing now I think about it...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Austinnn
Club Player

Yeah I was watching the live broadcast and paying close attention to the crowd noise; for the first 2 1/2 quarters, I didn't hear anything coming from Saints supporters barr standard cheering and so on, but for the last bit of the match I could hear one person screaming a primal scream 5 or 6 times. I don't know what he/she said but it sounded like SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNERZZZZZZ!

It was awesome, beyond awesome, and it added a fair bit to the atmosphere.

The TV microphones probably don't pick up a lot of the cheer squads work though, Tigers version was far more effective I'm sorry to say; you could actually hear them chanting stuff, whereas from memory I didn't hear much Saints stuff except for clapping, and I'm happy to say that there was so much action on the field that the camera crew had little time to get crowd shots.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Discher

paddy wrote:hear hear....

(and I know scotty wont use it as an excuse, but I will) how well will we do once we have our full squad fit?!

Benny, Stanley and Fish probably would have been the difference on friday, but shows tremenous spirit and determination that we hung in their and never said die.

So proud that our club is being referred to as 'brave and tough'... a great brand of footy!!

GO SAINTS!!!
My hardcore Tiger nuffy mates are well aware they were lucky to face us missing key players. They are 1 player away from full strength we are 3.

They have got some great players and are having luck (with injurys) but that cant last. Lose Maric and there stuffed.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

It was a great game Jiggster, would have been better though if we had won.
As I said before, it is exciting to watch my team play again, we want to score again and play fast play on relentess pressure football.
That is the sort of thing that attracts members and sponsorship.
Watch, if Freo don't make the 8 and play more of the same dire defensive football, they will lose members by the 1,000's next year.
Unfortunately, the loss of Fish, Stanley and Big Boy, pl;us don't underestimate the loss of Geary as well, caught up with us.
Therefore I have no doubt we will be hunting for another ruckman at season's end.
Warnock and Jamar are both out of contract at season's end and have no doubt we may make a play for one of those.
Jamar would be the better pick up in my opinion.
Here's hoping we can score a big score with a big percentage boosting win against Gary Ablett Jnr and his support cast this weekend.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I've spent a day telling people today it was the best game of the season, that I saw a lot of positives for the Saints, even though we lost.

Great to see a game with a goal shoot-out, big kicking and no-one gave up from either side.

And compared to some of the one sided results this round it was a close result.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

How good is it to hear such positive responses from Saints fans? Realistic, reasonable and pragmatic. No bagging of players, no searching for excuses, no rushing to the "victim bandwagon". Just a simple acceptance that we failed by a pumpteenth to win one of the hardest games I've seen for a season or two, and an attitude of SUPPORT for the team and club! good onya Folks!!!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jig, no bagging of players?

You must of missed some of the 5+ pagers? ;)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Must have missed 'em :? Or just didn't bother with 'em :lol:

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

ozrulestrace wrote:I've spent a day telling people today it was the best game of the season, that I saw a lot of positives for the Saints, even though we lost.

Great to see a game with a goal shoot-out, big kicking and no-one gave up from either side.

And compared to some of the one sided results this round it was a close result.
Well Jiggster I didn't mention the Richmond supporters sitting behind me though.
They really do eat their own players, bagging them for some error each and every time.
And their other favourite party trick was to play the victim card and every free kick against Richmond was met with "you are a disgrace" not trying to rationalise or argue with the umpire even they wouldn't have heard the comments. Just "you a disgrace"

But having said all of that we didn't cop one improper comment about Steven Milne.
So hats off to them.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

This St.Kilda team is the polar opposite to the St.Kilda team under Lyon.

We've gone to a team that everyone bagged even when we were winning to a team everyone praises even when we're losing!!!

Is this a good or a bad thing???

I'll play devil's advocate and say that it's better to be a team that is feared and respected than a team that is loved but not feared...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:This St.Kilda team is the polar opposite to the St.Kilda team under Lyon.

We've gone to a team that everyone bagged even when we were winning to a team everyone praises even when we're losing!!!

I'll play devil's advocate and say that it's better to be a team that is feared and respected than a team that is loved but not feared...

Not devils advocate to me. Hopefully we can get our defence right because at the moment I would take winning ugly than losing playing high scoring footy. The rider on that is when you lose playing ugly it is real ugly and also we are only 10 weeks in with a new coach.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

A loss should never be considered a GREAT GAME for the Saints !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:This St.Kilda team is the polar opposite to the St.Kilda team under Lyon.

Except that under Lyon, we couldn't stop Richmond playing that footy the last two seasons either?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

This idea of being "popular but unsuccessful" Versus "ugly but winners" is fraught with danger. Essendon, Geelong, Brisbane, Hawthorn, West Coast have at times been "unpopular" (even hated) while being winners, BUT they were almost universally respected for the way they played with flair AND hardness. Under Ross Lyon we were "successful" but were at times, if we're honest, terrible to watch. WHO admires the Sydney model of play? (other than for gaining positive results) I ask you all to be a wee bit more patient, and see how this coach of ours is going to shake up the AFL with the Saints in the coming seasons. I'm EXCITED!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:This idea of being "popular but unsuccessful" Versus "ugly but winners" is fraught with danger. Essendon, Geelong, Brisbane, Hawthorn, West Coast have at times been "unpopular" (even hated) while being winners, BUT they were almost universally respected for the way they played with flair AND hardness. Under Ross Lyon we were "successful" but were at times, if we're honest, terrible to watch. WHO admires the Sydney model of play? (other than for gaining positive results) I ask you all to be a wee bit more patient, and see how this coach of ours is going to shake up the AFL with the Saints in the coming seasons. I'm EXCITED!

I love the way Sydney play. Have made finals nearly every year for about 10-12 years. Usually in most games and the most important thing is they won a flag playing that style.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Sydney may have won a flag with that style of play, but the game has changed since then.