Facts on 6 day break bias for 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Facts on 6 day break bias for 2012

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:... I saw nothing in any game to suggest the 6 day breaks hurt us.
The fact that the output of our older midfielders was well down... which contributed to our loss?

I know it's a fact of life in modern footy, but it has to take it's toll when they are back to back.

One off shouldn't be a problem really, but 3!

So do you really believe it had no effect at all?

It's been mentioned a few times by club representatives in the media... why would they do that if it's rubbish?

I have not heard one person from the club say it cost us. They have said it was a fact of fo0otball life and we have to work through it. I agree you would rather not have them but all clubs have things in the fixture they dont want. This year for us it is 6 day breaks. I still say we win the game with a ruckman or another backman and this is against a side that beat the hawks by 10 goals one week earlier.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:... I saw nothing in any game to suggest the 6 day breaks hurt us.
The fact that the output of our older midfielders was well down... which contributed to our loss?

I know it's a fact of life in modern footy, but it has to take it's toll when they are back to back.

It's been mentioned a few times by club representatives in the media... why would they do that if it's rubbish?

I have not heard one person from the club say it cost us. They have said it was a fact of fo0otball life and we have to work through it. I agree you would rather not have them but all clubs have things in the fixture they dont want. This year for us it is 6 day breaks. I still say we win the game with a ruckman or another backman and this is against a side that beat the hawks by 10 goals one week earlier.
I meant the club has talked about the 6 day breaks... for it to be discussed or mentioned by the club I would assume that it is potentially an issue.

And I too think with our rucks and our defence in tact we would win.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SainterK wrote:We do ask for Monday night game though, which has contributed to this run.
The Pies get Queens bday and Anzac Day.

The AFL can go f themselves if they blame the six day break
Fiasco over ONE Monday night request!
After Queens Birthday the AFL have kindly given Collingwood the bye. After ANZAC day they had no game the following weekend. They played Adelaide interstate then had the maximum break then get the maximum break this week. We go to Brisbane then get a short break and go interstate again. Don't tell me the draw isn't rigged to get Collingwood in the 8.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

After Queens Birthday the AFL have kindly given Collingwood the bye. After ANZAC day they had no game the following weekend. They played Adelaide interstate then had the maximum break then get the maximum break this week. We go to Brisbane then get a short break and go interstate again. Don't tell me the draw isn't rigged to get Collingwood in the 8.

It is rigged that much that they play the following sides twice. Essendon, Hawks, WCE, Carl and Geelong and dont play any of the crap bottom 3 twice at all.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

It is rigged that much that they play the following sides twice. Essendon, Hawks, WCE, Carl and Geelong and dont play any of the crap bottom 3 twice at all.

Have a look at the breaks those teams get before Collingwood games and where they play the week before.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Have a look at the breaks those teams get before Collingwood games and where they play the week before.

Seriously if we are now looking at that we are looking for anything. I would rather look at where they are on the ladder.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The club should highlight this years 9 x 6 day breaks when making their/our submission for the 2013 FIXture. Are you reading this Mr Nettlefold? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The club should highlight this years 9 x 6 day breaks when making their/our submission for the 2013 FIXture. Are you reading this Mr Nettlefold? !!

Id be sure they did but they probably saw our start to the year and thought swings and roundabouts.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:The club should highlight this years 9 x 6 day breaks when making their/our submission for the 2013 FIXture. Are you reading this Mr Nettlefold? !!

Id be sure they did but they probably saw our start to the year and thought swings and roundabouts.
Start of the year? Rd 1 we went INTERSTATE, like we do most years lately !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

kalsaint
Club Player

You need to go one step further and see how many of them back up against each other. We just came off 3 in a row with a trip to WA right in the middle. That is more damaging than a 6 day break on it's own.

You do have to get use to them and there will always be a certain level of inequity but 9 x 6 day breaks compared to the average of 6 based on your stats? Something is rotten in denmark.[/quote]

Of the teams I checked Carlton was the only other to receive 3 consecutive 6 day breaks. They lost the first against Port last and now have Gellong (at Kitty Litter Park) and WCE in Perth both after 6 day breaks. Looks like Carlton is going to struggle in the shorter term. At least I hope so as I detest them more than any other clubl

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:We play Crows on a six day break coming back from Gold Coast. Crow are coming off the bye and have 13 days off.

Also we have the bye immediately after Adelaide, have 14 days from this until we play North then slip straight back into a 6 dat break before Essendon.

Essendon have the bye the week earlier but slip straight into 3 7 day breaks. Go figure how they manage this?!!

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

You need to go one step further and see how many of them back up against each other. We just came off 3 in a row with a trip to WA right in the middle. That is more damaging than a 6 day break on it's own.

You do have to get use to them and there will always be a certain level of inequity but 9 x 6 day breaks compared to the average of 6 based on your stats? Something is rotten in denmark.[/quote]

Anwer is here:

Essendon, Adelaide, Collingwood, Carlton, Sydney have no doubles of 6 day breaks. Carlton does have a triple but gets only 1 Single 6 day break after the triple is completed.

West Coast gets one double Geel at home followed by Freo (Away but still home)!

Geelong have 1 double both in Melbourne.

Hawthorn has 3 double 6 day breaks. 1 interstate, rest in Melbourne.

Saints have no further triples or doubles to come.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Teams we play twice: GC, Melb, WB, Sydney, Carlton

Teams Collingwood play twice: Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton, Essendon, West Coast

Quit whinging idiots

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kalsaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:Surely if 6 day breaks are a disadvantage, then 7, 8 + 9 day breaks are an advantage…

If we all play the same amount of games over 6 months, then for some matches we will have the advantage with longer breaks too? Like this week 6 vs 8 day break?

This is not true at all. WCE for instance get nearly all their 6 day breaks at home and the remainder are 7, 8 or longer.
This is managed through the start games immediately after the bye. For instance Collingwood amd Essendon generally front up on the Friday or Saturday whereas others dont so they other lose the opportunity.

Essendon and Collingwood also get a huge number of 7 or 8 day breaks. Ess = 14, Collingwood = 14.
Essendon and Collingwood do however, receive a 4 day break once due to the Anzac clash. I doubt if they would refuse that game for the bigger break though. They also recive a 10 and 9 day break respectively after this game in addition to the above games mentioned.

If someone disbelieves these maths and these facts its only because round 1 is the baseline, round 23 is not yet set and a bye exists. eg For the 21 rounds in question; Essendon = 1 unknown + 1 bye + 3 x 6 days + 14 x (7 or 8) day breaks, 1 x 9, 1 x 10 day break. A ridiculous balance of game break inequality with the rest of the clubs, bar Collingwood.

I might now take a look at some of the other clubs just out of the top 8 currently.

kalsaint
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
meher baba wrote:The draw isn't fair, and this is a deliberate AFL policy. Essendon and Collingwood tend to get the most benefit from the system.

But, while I might have some complaints about the draw in general, the fact is that 6 day breaks are a fact of life for all clubs. If the players can't take it, they can go and find a different game to play (although all codes nowadays feature lots of 6 day breaks).

We could, of course, return to the good old days when all games were played simultaneously on Saturday afternoon and Melbourne on a Sunday was a cultural desert akin to contemporary Riyadh. No thanks.
I actually completely agree with this post.

These likes are professionals - cant see why they need more than six days to recover before playing another game.

I have no real problem with a fair share of 6 day breaks. I do have an issue with year on year bias favouring certain clubs and do have an issue with consecutive 6 days breaks particularly if they involve travel interstate.

kalsaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:I'm not a fan of the current fixture system at all, but I think it's sour grapes to blame losing to the tigers on a tough draw… In 10 games so far, they have played 7 top-8 sides, and us who are around the mark… Would be a very taxing start to the year…

They're playing good footy that is why they beat us.

I agree that Richmond pl;ayed well and deserved the win however, someone here quoted Goddard after the loss when on a radio interview and he indicated it was difficult with consecutive short breaks.

kalsaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

The problem with your stipulation is that certain other clubs dont receive the same number of short or consecutive breaks ever!

kalsaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Yeah they get more top 8 teams to play. I think I would rather that than suffer consecutive 6 day breaks and risk further team player injury. The other alternative is to include other team players but the lower you go in this league the depth decreases so short breaks in batches really do have an impact.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Of course it has an effect. Not much, but cumulative. And it was there to see on Friday. From basically the start of the game.
We get shafted - pretty sure we had the most 6 day breaks last year or 2010. Probably every year. We're small.
And Collingwood would much prefer decent opponents than endure our recent run. They get a beautiful ride into the finals with maximum rest, minimum travel, and good opponents to tune up. In past years it's been exactly the same, except some of those good opponents weren't traveling so well.
The afl fixture is all about maximizing revenue - hence it's geared to the bigger clubs getting the bigger games, and at home, and ensuring they are more likely to play finals. This is not in contention surely. We all know we play in the most rigged competition outside the wwf. But for some reason we put up with it, and just whinge, and some idiots actually argue the point. If you care Do Not Watch the big games - boycott them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What bias???

I mean we get an 8 day break to freshen up for the highly ranked GC,......before a 6 day break against the lowly ranked Crows at home after any interstate trip.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Of course it has an effect. Not much, but cumulative. And it was there to see on Friday. From basically the start of the game.
We get shafted - pretty sure we had the most 6 day breaks last year or 2010. Probably every year. We're small.
And Collingwood would much prefer decent opponents than endure our recent run. They get a beautiful ride into the finals with maximum rest, minimum travel, and good opponents to tune up. In past years it's been exactly the same, except some of those good opponents weren't traveling so well.
The afl fixture is all about maximizing revenue - hence it's geared to the bigger clubs getting the bigger games, and at home, and ensuring they are more likely to play finals. This is not in contention surely. We all know we play in the most rigged competition outside the wwf. But for some reason we put up with it, and just whinge, and some idiots actually argue the point. If you care Do Not Watch the big games - boycott them.

That is hilarious. When the pies get good opposition it is to help them and when we get it it is a hard draw and the AFL hate us. some of you poeple need to open both eyes. By the way which half of our draw do you think is harder? The first 11 games or the second 11 games.

ThePunter
Club Player

The 5 1/2 day break after the Carlton game is a fact of playing on the Monday night.

But it should be followed by a game in Melbourne, then a seven day break.

Carlton's is ridiculous - why a Thursday night game in June in Perth?

You play Friday nights, you'll get six day breaks. We play three Friday nights. Everything else not associated with the Monday night is avoidable.

The AFL should schedule staggered byes like the NFL, so both Carlton and St Kilda get the week off after playing the Monday night.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

No doubt the six day break bring has a physical affect but there's nothing that can be done about it so resistance is futile.

But there's no doubt the fixture is a frigging mess and the existence of two teams playing for no other reason than training does little to help matters.

It's a very weird era dripping with artifice.

IMO I reckon we would have been better off biting the bullet and going with two divisions or a tiered comp. Fans of lower half teams would get over it soon enough. Two grand finals at season end - one at Etihad, the biggie at the G a week later - might be pretty spesh!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

kalsaint wrote:Anwer is here:

Essendon, Adelaide, Collingwood, Carlton, Sydney have no doubles of 6 day breaks. Carlton does have a triple but gets only 1 Single 6 day break after the triple is completed.

West Coast gets one double Geel at home followed by Freo (Away but still home)!

Geelong have 1 double both in Melbourne.

Hawthorn has 3 double 6 day breaks. 1 interstate, rest in Melbourne.

Saints have no further triples or doubles to come.
We also had a double in rounds 2-3-4.

So, as this so clearly documents, we have been SHAFTED big time.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!