Foxtel Commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Foxtel Commentary

SainterK wrote:If I was a demons supporter, I wouldn't be handling todays call very well.

Dennis and Bruce seem very concious of Mick sitting there.

Watched it all and it seems to me they are nearly barracking for Melbourne even Mick and that is because they are behind and they want it close. Funny how people hear things differently.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:If I was a demons supporter, I wouldn't be handling todays call very well.

Dennis and Bruce seem very concious of Mick sitting there.

Watched it all and it seems to me they are nearly barracking for Melbourne even Mick and that is because they are behind and they want it close. Funny how people hear things differently.
I agree, I've enjoyed Malthouse's contributions this year. Although Mick slipped a bit when he was describing Dane Swan's "instinctive action" to trip the Melbourne player :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ok must be me.

Feel like they are hanging melbourne players out to dry when they stuff up, not saying anything about pies mistakes...pick up on frees the umps have missed in Pies favour, letting the ones go for Demons.

Yeah we do hear things differently I guess.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Ok must be me.

Feel like they are hanging melbourne players out to dry when they stuff up, not saying anything about pies mistakes...pick up on frees the umps have missed in Pies favour, letting the ones go for Demons.

Yeah we do hear things differently I guess.

I thought I just heard all of them say the free to Thomas wasnt there. Maybe I heard it wrong.

Maklom
Club Player

It was pretty woeful all round to listen to them on Sat arv/evening. Just about every goal in the second half to St Kilda was responded by how the suns players let each other down, how they keep repeating mistakes, drop their heads, etc.

Then Roos would begin his drol lecturing about how they could of prevented it blah blah...saints kick another goal and he starts all over again! wtf!! How about we were better than them for most of the game and that's why we won?

B grade commentary team sent up there for that game methinks.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:You will hear comments on what someone should be doing, while there's play in the background not being called !!
Horses for courses....I actually prefer this style of commentary for television.
I don't need to know that the ball is in dispute on the wing or that player X has taken his 4th bounce and dodged his 5th opponent. I can see that! Keep that level of detail for radio.

TV commentators need to take a leaf out of the soccer callers and just tell us the player's name and add a bit of excitement when something good happens.
They could also learn a thing or two from the TV cricket commentators. They don't call ball-by-ball action radio style. Why? Because we can see what is happening.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:..(in soccer)..They don't call ball-by-ball action radio style. Why? Because we can see what is happening.
Which is usually nothing. Let's face it, you could put on a Tchaikovsky symphony and not miss any of the actual action and probably be a lot more entertained. Just love those nil all draws and wondering whether it will be Celtic or Rangers this year.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:..(in soccer)..They don't call ball-by-ball action radio style. Why? Because we can see what is happening.
Which is usually nothing. Let's face it, you could put on a Tchaikovsky symphony and not miss any of the actual action and probably be a lot more entertained. Just love those nil all draws and wondering whether it will be Celtic or Rangers this year.
That's a whole different discussion but my point stands...Why describe in great detail things we can see?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:You will hear comments on what someone should be doing, while there's play in the background not being called !!
....I actually prefer this style of commentary for television.
I don't need to know that the ball is in dispute on the wing or that player X has taken his 4th bounce and dodged his 5th opponent. I can see that! Keep that level of detail for radio.

TV commentators need to take a leaf out of the soccer callers and just tell us the player's name.....
.....They could also learn a thing or two from the TV cricket commentators. They don't call ball-by-ball action radio style. Why? Because we can see what is happening.
Fair enough, but sometimes I want to know who the player is - we can't always see detail on the far side of the ground - not some 'special comments' on what should be happening from the broadcast box. Everything looks easy and obvious from that vantage point.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

The three basics of football commentating-

Who has the ball?

Where is the ball headed?

And a current score.

And as I don't have Foxtel HD or watch much telly of HD could Channel 7 please shift the time clock to the end of the scores as I have no idea as to the quarter or minutes on the time clock other than the number of seconds. Foxtel seems to understand the requirements of the viewer better than Channel 7.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:The three basics of football commentating-

Who has the ball?

Where is the ball headed?

And a current score.

And as I don't have Foxtel HD or watch much telly of HD could Channel 7 please shift the time clock to the end of the scores as I have no idea as to the quarter or minutes on the time clock other than the number of seconds. Foxtel seems to understand the requirements of the viewer better than Channel 7.

Just change your picture shape. Cant quite remember but it could be pillor box.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, I thought their comments re the youngsters playing for Geelong was very relevant.
I also think that they used Geelong as an example, not because of any favouritism, afterall, they have won 3 of the last 5 premierships and have been the benchmark for the last 5 years.
Also they have managed to regularly bring new recruits into their side.
I actually mentioned this on another post citing how much benefit Roo, Kosi, Fisher, Dal, Joey etc would have benefited from people like Harvs, Burkey, Thompson, Jones, Hammill, Gehrig, Loewe etc.
You see the Gold Coast just dont have that, they have one mentor in that team and that is Gary Ablett.
As the commentators also said during that discussion that they feel the Gold Coast may look at trading a few of their youngsters at the end of the season for a few more good experienced players.
I'm sure if we had the success Geelong had have had over the last 5 years, it would be us they'd be talking about not Geelong.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

At least in our game, no matter what the telecaster, we don't get fake "Crowd Noise" like they do in Rugby League (listen to the SoO game at the minute). Why don't they admit it, nothing happens for most of the game and the crowd is yawning or eating chips. It does get more exciting more often than soccer, but that's hardly any excuse.