The Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

The Positives

I think we have a lot to look forward to, and if we can scrape into the finals, we can trouble even the best teams (as seen tonight).

1. Saad and Stanley were out of the team.

2. McEvoy (and to a lesser extent Fisher) were rusty from their first game back and will only improve.

3. Armitage is in career best form.

4. Sipposs is really starting to look a player

5. We have a MUCH needed bye this week.

6. Of our games for the rest of the season, we would be tipped as favourite for half of them. If we can win all of those and snatch one or two upsets then we will be doing well. Games against GWS and Melbourne will be vital for the all important percentage.

7. Our backline has not been settled all year. Fisher, Gwilt, Raph and Gram have not played much footy together. Nor Blake because of his ruck duties, and Simpkin is only new. Of all our backmen, only Dempster has played consistently all year in the backline. The settling will happen, and when a backline becomes a unit with understanding of one another it becomes far greater than the sum of its parts.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Positives

Fisher had Taylor well held, from what I saw anyway. Very rusty, but particularly in the 4th, reminded us of what we were missing.

Armitage, finally hitting consistency.

Raph, chaos to watch early, slowly became our rock in a very shaky backline.

Dal Santo, super game.

Sipposs, isn't just a great kick, but starting to make a presence in the contests.

Not consistent enough to challenge and may not even make the finals, but with more clever recruiting and perhaps the willingness to make a tough call or two, next two seasons will be VERY telling.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
noob
Club Player

We seem to be finishing games off stronger of late.

FQF
SS Life Member

noob wrote:We seem to be finishing games off stronger of late.
It proves that it is not ability that is lacking.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We have heaps of improvement left and are challenging top teams.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Isn't it funny that there are only 3 responses to a positive thread, but hundreds of threads with numerous pages on the negative aspects?

1) The effort from the team was fantastic. I believe Fish and McEvoy were extremely rusty and I believe there inclusions upset the balance of the team. Fish had a great last quarter but I don't think McEvoy even hit his straps tonight.

2) Roo was injured and had virtually no impact from early on. His lack of run around the ground really hurt us.

3) Dal Santo exceptional

4) Joey exceptional, best game of the year

5) Thought Jack had a great game

7) Siposs created some excitement every time he went near the ball

8) Armitage was exceptional, only getting better.

9) We have a 2 week break (we look tired and sore in the first 2 quarters and feared that Adelaide would run all over us - but to our credit, we fought it out until the end)

Can't wait until the second half of the season.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Gears looked like he resumed where he left off...and it was good to see Schneids out on the park. Loved Jimmy's long kicks tonight and Sipposs is showing glimpses of being a matchwinner at some stage....Dempster was a rock tonight...also Raph very brave, and Jack and Joey were tireless and set up quite a lot of forward entries...but for mine the guy who worked the hardest and tackled and chased the hardest was Gilbo. Loved his work rate tonight.

jays
Club Player

think we will win most of our games from now on saw alot i really liked crows gave it there all and could not pull away and yet we keeped on coming

Austinnn
Club Player

That has to be a jays record for longest entry got to be at least three sentences now time for punctuation and spell check. ;-)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

jays wrote:think we will win most of our games from now on saw alot i really liked crows gave it there all and could not pull away and yet we keeped on coming
Yep I agree. The look on Sanderson's face at the end of the game said it all.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FQF
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:
jays wrote:think we will win most of our games from now on saw alot i really liked crows gave it there all and could not pull away and yet we keeped on coming
That was a really telling image. He was probably thinking "yeh great, we're top of the ladder, but we barely beat a team who can't make the eight, 6 day break after 6 day break, traveling all over the country, with their best forward injured etc etc"

I would console Sanderson and tell him that we are actually a very good team that just can't seem to win the tight ones nor start the game well.

FQF
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:
That was a really telling image. He was probably thinking "yeh great, we're top of the ladder, but we barely beat a team who can't make the eight, 6 day break after 6 day break, traveling all over the country, with their best forward injured etc etc"

I would console Sanderson and tell him that we are actually a very good team that just can't seem to win the tight ones nor start the game well.

widereceiver
Club Player

This is a dangerous post. You are not permitted to see positives in a loss. You have to bag individual players for fleeting mistakes.. Except for our captain who is not expected to kick goals from straight in front since 2007. I thought we were fantastic in defeat tonight, especially many of the whipping boys.

And we're not boring to watch Ross.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
mildurasaint
Club Player

Agree with positives above. Also for me is Gwilt getting some games and getting back his confidence. Was seriously good before getting injured.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I saw stacks of positives.

SChneider was a welcome return.

Dal was superb.

Fish got better as the game wore on, as did Clarke I thought.

Gilbert had his best game of the year - and his kicking was far better.

Armo continues to play well.

Siposs has been consistent since coming on against the tiges.

Some of our handpassing out of the backline and in the middle of the ground was fantastic.

Great to see Joey back to his best

I thought Gwilt looked far better than he has all year.

Dempster plays well every week.

Stanley is due back after the break - will assist our structure no end.

Roo has two weeks to get over his niggle.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:
I thought we were fantastic in defeat tonight, especially many of the whipping boys.
Possibly the worst post on SS ive ever read.

“Yeah….nah””