Rooey still injured

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rooey still injured

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Thats a game and a waste of a very good player. 5 or 10 minutes per quarter will do if we have to.
Plugger, are you saying that Roo playing at CHF is a waste of a very good player? Because I think that's what you're saying.

Please explain how I am saying that? Rooy is a very natural forward and has won 5 b&f playing there. I dont think BJ would play anywhere near as well there as at HB and around the ball. I reckon Hayes in a champion but I reckon him playing in the ruck would be a waste of a good player.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

OOOhhhhhhh. That's what your saying.

Fair enough. :oops:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ok, I'm confused...will Roo play or not or are people just jumping at shadows?

Maybe title of thread should be "Rooey still injured?"

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

it is isn't it?

who are you trying to confuse?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Austinnn
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I reckon the selection games are pathetic and futile..... It gains nothing, makes a mockery of putting teams in and pays little respect to supporters.... Not sure the point.

Frustrating and annoying IMO.
How is it paying little respect to supporters? Why should we know until the match? It doesn't change anything for supporters, except the mugs that mess about on Supercoach and the coach's needs come before theirs as far as I'm concerned. If he wants to be the master of suspense then let him.

If the opposition spend time trying to work it out, then it's effective. Even if they don't, I don't see the harm frankly. Frustrating and annoying how?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
BigMart wrote:I reckon the selection games are pathetic and futile..... It gains nothing, makes a mockery of putting teams in and pays little respect to supporters.... Not sure the point.

How is it paying little respect to supporters? Why should we know until the match? It doesn't change anything for supporters, except the mugs that mess about on Supercoach and the coach's needs come before theirs as far as I'm concerned. If he wants to be the master of suspense then let him.

If the opposition spend time trying to work it out, then it's effective. Even if they don't, I don't see the harm frankly. Frustrating and annoying how?
With you 100% Austinnn 8-)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

i don't care if they tell us anything i just want wins. If it messes up opposition planning 0.1% it might be the extra point that wins a game. I'm not asking to have a direct line to the selection committee- just win me some games.

Rosco
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

it is isn't it?

who are you trying to confuse?
No question mark in the thread title

With our recent history, he'll be named and we will know if he's there at the toss of the coin

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

Let's not forget also, there are RULES set by the AFL on this. I haven't seen anywhere that we have broken the rules and been sanctioned. It's the same for EVERY club !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No question mark because channel 10 had video of Roo and were adamant he's injured.

Sure, Roo could be playing games for the camera and holding himself back, but if not, he's still injured.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

100%

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ThePunter
Club Player

You get fined for playing a player who is not named in the 25. We got in trouble last year for playing Kosi v West Coast when he wasn't originally in the 25.

Leaving a player out who is in the 25, and replacing them with an annouced emergency, is always simple enough and is permitted. This is why I expect Wilkes to be in the 25 tomorrow.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I agree Eastern, because of his age, play it safe.

Play Goddard CHF, Roo FF. Milne, Siposs and Saad to lend support.

They'll be OK.

Still want to play Roo or do you mean Kosi. Anyway I have still never seen anything to suggest BJ is a permanent forward. Cameo yes but please nothing else. Anyway we need him to kick it to our forwards.
Goddard kicked 5 goals in a quarter against the Eagles a few years back.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Goddard kicked 5 goals in a quarter against the Eagles a few years back.
yep. i also remember about ten other times since then where he's spent fifteen minutes or more deep in the forward line without really getting near it - for instance against the hawks this year. just because he did it once doesn't mean he can do it consistently.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

bergholt wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Goddard kicked 5 goals in a quarter against the Eagles a few years back.
yep. i also remember about ten other times since then where he's spent fifteen minutes or more deep in the forward line without really getting near it - for instance against the hawks this year. just because he did it once doesn't mean he can do it consistently.
I'd rather BJ playing forward than a lumbering, slow, inept Kosi any longer.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Austinnn
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
Austinnn wrote:

100%
Thanks for the support folks; seems I'm not the only person confused about why this molehill is being made into a mountain. But this isn't the first time this issue has been vented on, I think Saints Premiers is also not a fan of the last minute change. It's interesting to me, precisely because it's such an uninteresting issue. It's nothing. You might as well complain about the way Watters wears a cap in his press conferences, shading his face from TV lights. (that does actually irritate me, but not enough to vocalise until now, but just to use as an example)

So? BigMart? SP? Anyone else? Want to walk us through the frustration and annoyance in your mind about this issue? I'm really interested to understand why you feel so disrespected by Scotty 'Twist' Watters? Did you feel disrespected at the end of Sixth Sense when you found out that Bruce Willis was (SPOILER ALERT!) actually a ghost? :shock:

I'd really like to know if its just because you indulge in Supercoach or if it's for a deeper reason. Because it seems to me that either you're insecure enough to feel cheated by the Match Committee or you are just trying to stir up ill feeling about something totally insignificant to suit some negative agenda. I just don't get why it's an important issue for people who support the Saints. If it worked against us, then you'd have a point. But it doesn't - at all.

I'm trying to see. Please explain/teach. (c) Dave McNamara

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Exactly. Didn't Jason Blake score multiple goals in one game, doesn't mean we're putting him at CHF.

And anyway, they wouldn't do it unless they'd trained for it or it was a last minute, roll-of-the-dice decision in a make or break game like Blighty's sending of Ellen to the forward line in GF'97 - sorry for the memories. :cry:

I'd rather we used Goddard's run and disposal for most of the game with as P66 says, little cameos here and there. It's an interesting one, because Nick gets around the ground a fair bit, and I'm not sure if Beau has that same presence or speed, but I think we should give him a chance to show us. Stanley would be more ideal, but not worth risking. I can't judge if Wilkes is fast or mobile enough to take Roo's spot as I've never seen him play out a game, only a couple of marking and goal kicking highlights. Still, I don't like BJ being taken out of that midfield.

Wilkes comes in for Roo if he is injured. Kosi has a chance to see if he is able to shake off poor form with a rest and less ruck duties. If not then Wilkes is more match fit to replace him.

Saad, Kosi, Milne, Schneider, Wilkes, Sippos.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: Wilkes comes in for Roo if he is injured. Kosi has a chance to see if he is able to shake off poor form with a rest and less ruck duties. If not then Wilkes is more match fit to replace him.

Saad, Kosi, Milne, Schneider, Wilkes, Sippos.
Kosi and Wilkes in the same forward line would give us two guys who aren't that nimble and with limited aerobic capacity. There's room for only one of them ... at the absolute most ... in the forward line IMO

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why do we think that not naming teams has any positive effect on the side winning??

Where is the actual proof of that.... And how could it possibly help???

So if Nth plan for Nick playing because he was named..... And find out he is not, it's advantage stk?? How exactly?
I think the opposite may be true, but you really can't just bring a star in after not being named....

Upset planning.... I'm sure they plan for different scenario's
In fact teams have a 'what if' meeting every week.... This would be covered

Selection games bought into vogue by speedy in the late 90's were made look successful by the fact he had an awesome team at his disposal, and still doesnt alter the fact that if player X did play the result may have been the same or better???

Bizarre logic

If they are giving him right up until the 11th hour, besides being silly, I see the logic

If, like with Fisher it is a load of crap.... What the point!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't agree at all BM.

I'm sure teams get thrown off guard all the time.

I like it, a team of 25 that can be changed up until the last minute based on hints at opposition changes, weather, someone feeling ill.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In short

I don't see it's point or value

And I don't think it's much to ask as a member, that communication coming out of my club is a little bit honest?
Is that asking a bit much....

Otherwise, why name a team??

What is the point of naming a team??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you really think you can trick an elite sporting organization with 10 coaches and a >50 Mill turnover....

Ok, No Riewoldt.... Nice, how can we get an advantage from that?? Would be my thoughts??
Either Thursday or Saturday??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Come on BM, you are assured knowledge of 19 players that will line up.

The other 6 are give or take.

Not a huge deal surely?

Still reckon Roo will play, if it's the most wise move or not, not so sure.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If they think Roo might be a chance to play, they have to name him. I'm not sure that falls under the category of selection games. The ones where they're making last minute like-for-like changes where the guy going out plays for Sandy are more gimmicky. Not sure there's any point to them, but I'm not also sure it's a major issue. As a member, you have a right not to renew your membership over selection issues. Not sure what other avenues are available. Hunger strike, maybe?

Yeah nah pleasing positive