OUT: PLAYERS THAT CAN'T KICK!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cripper35

OUT: PLAYERS THAT CAN'T KICK!

Every player that turns the ball over continually must be replaced with skillful players.

OUT: Clinton Jones - Farren Ray (must be our tagger), Jason Gram - Jack Newnes, Delist:- Dean Polo, Justin Koschitzke, Brett Peake, Raphael Clarke, Clinton Jones.
St.Kilda please give games to Siposs, Markworth, Ledger, Milera and take Tom Curren off the rookie list and give him a game. We need to recruit players that use the ball well for 2013.

Cripper35
To the top
SS Life Member

Re: OUT: PLAYERS THAT CAN'T KICK!

I am not too certain why you would include Koschitzke and Clarke in that list but leave out our the worst ball user in Geary.

Honest, brave but undoes his every bit of good work with absysmal use of the ball - and therefore NOT an AFL footballer, never has been and never will be if St Kilda wish to progress past mediocre.

At his build and with his job description he is easily replaced.

cripper35

Good point -you can include Geary in that list he shows great endeavour but butchers the ball.

Cripper35
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

AGREED some of our skills last night were atrociuos - Jack STEVEN had 20 possession at 40% effectiveness which surely gets him dropped for next week. He is never great with his decisions or skills but last night he appeared completely overwrought by the occasion.

SAINTS have some tough decisions to make at seasons end as they are never going to bridge the gap playing blokes like - Kosi, Jones, Polo and Gwilt on monster forwards.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I am not too certain why you would include Koschitzke and Clarke in that list but leave out our the worst ball user in Geary.

Honest, brave but undoes his every bit of good work with absysmal use of the ball - and therefore NOT an AFL footballer, never has been and never will be if St Kilda wish to progress past mediocre.

Geary was easily in best 5 for us yesterday. In the end, the umpires cost us...but without Geary, the filth would've been 6 goals up without his efforts.

noob
Club Player

Ledger and Curren haven't got the greatest of disposals either.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Funny how Gilbert is no longer in this discussion, probably because his disposal has improved tremendously this year.
With some training Geary and Stevens can both be improved, they are still young.
Think Polo, Peake, even though I have never bagged him, and never will, but think Raph and possibly Ray will be looking for new homes next year.
Jones probably survives another year, Kosi, despite my defence of him, his future may be dependant on who we can get in trade week, draft or free agency.
Blake will retire, if Kosi does stay, somehow feell, next year will be his last, probably retire more than likely due to his body thanks to the early mismanagement of his career just can't keep going.
Pity we can't find another young Kosi now with the facilities etc at our disposal.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the worst ball user is geary??

LOL

rightio

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Funny how Gilbert is no longer in this discussion, probably because his disposal has improved tremendously this year.
really.....

I need glasses then because i haven't seen any improvement in his woeful one sided disposal, definitely butchered a few against the Pies

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Also hit his targets, the guy can kick as was evident with that goal against Brisbane. I still say he has improved remarkably from last year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Also hit his targets, the guy can kick as was evident with that goal against Brisbane. I still say he has improved remarkably from last year.
We'll watch the Melbourne game with interest and see how many he sprays

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I have been complaining about our disgraceful foot skills for several years now, but we keep recruiting poor performers in this area. Why?

You would think that hours and hours would be put into improving these skills, but the general view is that by the time they reach AFL level, once a poor kick -always a poor kick. If so, why recruit them ??

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

Bit hard to pot Kozi when he never gets the ball.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I am not too certain why you would include Koschitzke and Clarke in that list but leave out our the worst ball user in Geary.

Is Geary the new Milne for you?
As mentioned, he was most definitely in our best few on Saturday night against Collingwood - not easily replaced at all.
Comfortably in our best 22 at this stage, despite not being our best user.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

As mentioned, he was most definitely in our best few on Saturday night against Collingwood - not easily replaced at all.

Wouldnt take any notice of him. He gets a set against a player and even when they are good he cant see it. He did think Cahill and Johnson could play though. Sums up his knowledge.

Kernal75
Club Player

I think Scotty and Pelchen have already identified our lack of skill by foot. If you look at what Pelchen did at Hawthorn, he places an emphasis on good ball users. Lots of left footers as well. We've got alot some holes we need to fill urgently which are well documented, but I think any other players that will be brought in (draft or trade) will have good foot skills. We're carrying too many poor users at the minute which is killing us!

amusingname
Club Player

You want to get rid of Kosi as he is a player who can't kick?

His 22.5 from set shots this year suggests otherwise. If there is anything that Kosi does well, it is kick the ball!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Geary had some ineffective kicks late in the game, was probably a little stuffed from giving a stuff.

He will absolutely be persisted with, he is having a great season, and will benefit enormously with some skills coaching.

Listen to Scott talk about him on the weekend, he is not going anywhere.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

cripper35 wrote:Every player that turns the ball over continually must be replaced with skillful players.
should we dig up aaron fiora? great skills. not much of a player though.

actually, i'm a pretty good kick. lazy as f*** and soft as butter, but i fit your criteria.

bergsone
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
cripper35 wrote:Every player that turns the ball over continually must be replaced with skillful players.
should we dig up aaron fiora? great skills. not much of a player though.

actually, i'm a pretty good kick. lazy as f*** and soft as butter, but i fit your criteria.

2 or 3 year contract How much you want :wink:

Austinnn
Club Player

This is a good post.

The recruiters must be complete fools, every year I've been a fan of the Saints, we seem to keep recruiting people who can't kick. It is called FOOTball, yet we seem to have a habit of digging up people who can't use their FOOT effectively.

But wait. How can these professional football recruiters continue to fail to notice the key element of a good footballer?

Maybe it's not quite so simple. For a start, in a lot of cases, these players kick effectively in low pressure situations, i.e. training and lower leagues. This indicates that it's decision making that is the problem, or ability to remain calm in pressure situations. Some players think they respond to pressure well, but you can't simulate a professional AFL knockout scenario effectively. Jobs are on the line, in some cases careers, on your team and the team trying to stop you. You have 0.25 of a second to decide to kick handball or bounce, and where to. People are running towards you at full tilt from every angle, their sole focus to collide with you and steal your ball. Follow your instinct or follow the team rule? Be predictable or try something new? Be a hero or play it safe? Think or play? They have to do that 10-20 times a game. They are pros but not robots.

Otherwise, it is bad kicking, but they have obviously been recruited for other reasons, either their decision making (see above) or their gut running, or ability to find another gear, or their marking ability, or their determination, or their evasive skills or their defensive skills, or their qualities as a human being. I think we could put saints names to all those qualities if we tried. If we only looked for players with good kicking skills we'd be stuffed, as bergholt alluded to just before.

Sam Crocker's supposed to be a great kick, how come he doesn't get a go in the seniors, eh?

Also, think of all the bad kicks there are in other teams. Think of the games we've played and the opposition player has coughed it up. Is it possible that every team has these types of players? We seem to have a lot, but that's maybe just because the bad kicks on our team effect us a lot more.

In short, I agree in theory. But there is a reason that Clint Jones* is consistently one of the first players picked in the team and Sam Crocker* is nowhere near it, and it's not because our club is stupid.

* Just an example

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Watters has made it very clear that footskills will be a major focus in our list management in the coming years. This is why Dunell and Newnes have been fast-tracked ahead of shocking ball users like Peake and Polo, but there are still some harsh decisions that need to be made.

The poor kicks in our current team are Jones, Gilbert, Gram, Steven and Geary. Gilbert, Gram and Steven al execute brilliantly on occasion, but their inconsistency puts them in that category. Geary isn't a truly terrible kick but it's far from good - a bit more composure and work on decision making could get him up to standard.

I want players with good footskills to be given clear preference in selection; I'd rather 18 clean disposals than 25 scrubby ones. There is probably room for a few poor kicks in the team (I'd pick Gilbert, Steven and Geary) but the general standard has to be higher than it is.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

We have a winner. You are spot on that he is in our best. The fact he is in our best 22, along with about 5 others who can't kick, is our problem.

I think you will find the long term recruiting policy under Pelchen will be, recruit the best kicks every time.
It is his trait.

nobhead
Club Player

OUT: Clinton Jones - Farren Ray (must be our tagger), Jason Gram - Jack Newnes, Delist:- Dean Polo, Justin Koschitzke, Brett Peake, Raphael Clarke, Clinton Jones.
St.Kilda please give games to Siposs, Markworth, Ledger, Milera and take Tom Curren off the rookie list and give him a game. We need to recruit players that use the ball well for 2013.
you can also include players that continually make poor decisions .was at the game saturday night and the amount of times we gave the ball back through picking wrong options was hilarious . thats whats cost us so many games this year and until we get players who are composed and have good skills into our side we will continue to fall short against quality opposition.