Patrick Smith's view on the umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Patrick Smith's view on the umpiring

As quoted on SEN with KB..
"The Harry O free late was a free kick every day of the week as he ran towards Harry with no eye on the ball, then made contact"
:shock:
Also "the umpiring late in the game considering the helter skelter of the game was brilliant " :shock:

He's entitled to his opinion but it seems very left field to me.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Patrick Smith's view on the umpiring

From where I sat, the Jolly incident was not a good look for Milney, and from then he seemed to be a target for umpires.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Patrick Smith is very reluctant to give the Saints any semblance of the "benefit of the doubt" and always backs umpires when we're involved.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

It was the first caller re the subject and true to form Smith formed the opposite to the caller to ecourage debate from callers

Smith often does it.

saint4life
mildurasaint
Club Player

Actually, agree with Smith on this one. Milney took his eyes of the ball a couple of times running back. Though it was fair enough. Other decisions not sure about but for me we lost the game by kicking poorly, and picking out Collingwood players such as Jolly too often.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

mildurasaint wrote:Actually, agree with Smith on this one. Milney took his eyes of the ball a couple of times running back. Though it was fair enough. Other decisions not sure about but for me we lost the game by kicking poorly, and picking out Collingwood players such as Jolly too often.
The fact you take your eyes off the ball is not the issue....................

the free was paid for an arm chop did not happen

In fact he took his eyes off the ball to look and see where Obrien was to make sure he did not make sufficient fron on contact to warrant a free

I have no doubt the umpire guessed and this guess was fuelled by the fact it was milne.
Last edited by chook23 on Mon 06 Aug 2012 11:11am, edited 2 times in total.

saint4life
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:I have no doubt the umpire guessed.
And guessed wrong!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:From where I sat, the Jolly incident was not a good look for Milney, and from then he seemed to be a target for umpires.
Yet a few clowns on here derided my post saying
Milne should get a week.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:From where I sat, the Jolly incident was not a good look for Milney, and from then he seemed to be a target for umpires.
Milne should get a week.
the angle may have looked bad..................

your angle may have made it look bad as well

from mine a clumsey kick off the ground...............covered by kicking in danger rule

will not go any further.

saint4life
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yet a few clowns on here derided my post saying Milne should get a week.
looked a lot worse at the ground - the replay shows not much in it:

http://www.gameanalyser.afl.com.au/?rou ... ality=high

in fact, it looks more like jolly stayed down way too long.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Shows how blatant a mistake it was if these two AFL muppets are lying to defend it. Those saying Milne took his eye off the ball before he git there so its free please go get a rule book and a mirror.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SuperDuper
Club Player

He did not come from the front. He came in from the side. And if Smith was not such a boofhead he would know that the free was not paid for coming from the front but for chopping of arms, which did not occur

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with chook23, umpire clearly indicated an arm chop.

Same umpire that penalised Milne for swearing at an opponent.

Likes the stage he does.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Smith is correct.

Milne hit harry O's arm just before the marking contest. From where the umpire was postioned his opinion would have been that the incidental contact would have caused O'brien to drop the mark.

Soft? Yes. Incidental? Yes. Does it happen a hundred times a game and no free? Yes. Inconsistant? YES.

Its not the ones like this paid, but the feeling supporters get that the umpires pick and choose when to free kick an incident.

Overumpiring may occur but consistancy is required. If you pay that type of free in the last 20 seconds of the game when forwards have been getting manhandled all night, it is not suprising the supporters feel aggrieved.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No such free for taking eyes off the ball but any contact when running front on is a free. I still say the AFL will say it was the correct decision because there was very slight contact but like I said a free paid like that means there could be 100 in a game. What I dont understand is why people think that free, not others, had any bearing on our chances of playing finals.

Middo
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Milne should get a week.

Hey Arseclown , how many Milne kicked this year ...?
Just a good footballer doing a great job ....

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Milne should get a week.

Hey Arseclown , how many Milne kicked this year ...?
Just a good footballer doing a great job ....
You're tuning into quite a sniper aren't you.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There was NO arm chop as signalled by the umpire. The slow-Mo shows that Milne missed O'Brien alltogether. It could even be argued that Milne didn't go hard enough at the contest !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

older saint
SS Life Member

IF the free kick was for interferance in a marking contest then fair enough but it was for chopping the arms , which did not happen. What is being argued by Smith is that a free kick was their , the wrong one was paid but that is ok because a free kick was there. .

Smith an unhappy Essendon supporter and glass half empty type of reporter would rather lose a testical than say anything positive about StKilda anyways

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The free was paid for an arm chop. Smith's thesis is flawed from the outset.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:There was NO arm chop as signalled by the umpire. The slow-Mo shows that Milne missed O'Brien alltogether. It could even be argued that Milne didn't go hard enough at the contest !!

Incorrect. Milne hit O'briens arm just prior to the marking contest. Thats what the umpire paid it for.

Selective blindness?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:The free was paid for an arm chop. Smith's thesis is flawed from the outset.

I saw the umpire signal that Milne had contacted O'briens arm.

Is there a definitive signal that differentaites between contact to the arm and an arm chop?

Lance or James??

spert
Saintsational Legend

The one against Gram out on the wing a bit earlier for holding the ball was worse than Milne's I thought, clearly the umpire caved in to the Collingwood crowd. I was more riled up when Gwilt and Simpkin each gave away stupid obvious frees for holding the man in front of the Collingwood goal. We should be more unhappy with Milne giving away frees earlier in the game when the ball was in our forward line.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:There was NO arm chop as signalled by the umpire. The slow-Mo shows that Milne missed O'Brien alltogether.
That's correct, there was no signal from the umpire, although that doesn't make much difference. The replays (that I have seen anyway) are inconclusive because it depends so much on the angle. However, I was in a perfect position to see it. Because my normal A1 position on the wing was taken up with (mainly) Collingwood supporters in reserved seats, I had to go to the "walk up seats" which started on the 50 metre arc. This meant that I was right behind Harry Taylor (as was the umpire) and could see the distance between him and Stephen Milne. There was daylight or should I say nightlight between them. There was no contact. The only explanation that I can give is to say that it was the same umpire who awarded a 50 metre penalty against Stephen when he wrongly attributed a remark to him that was part of a slanging match between Stephen and Harry. It was the same umpire who, while watching the two players behind play, ignored an elbow from Harry to Stephen and then penalised an elbow from Stephen to Harry. Anyone who thinks that some umpires do not treat Stephen differently to most other players has never been to a Saints match in the last five years.

There was an idiot in the HUN yesterday who said that despite kicking 3 goals (the highest on the night, along with Ahmed), Stephen Milne was responsible for the loss. As I said, an idiot from the HUN (tautological I know).

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Umpires Dept. have reported that the free kick to O'Brien was INCORRECT. So up roars Fatprick Smith.
No mention on all the other mistakes in favour of the Filth is noted - might be embarrasing to the AFL and Dimwit.