Harry O'brien decision incorrect - AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Re: Harry O'brien decision incorrect - AFL

Cairnsman wrote:Am I misssing something. So if the free hadn't been paid it sounds like from all the carry-on that we would have certainly won the match.
Would have been a draw - unless we could have kicked something in the last 15 sec or so from a center clearance

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Am I misssing something. So if the free hadn't been paid it sounds like from all the carry-on that we would have certainly won the match.
Would have been a draw - unless we could have kicked something in the last 15 sec or so from a center clearance
Your assuming that the goal was a gimme. All sorts of scenarios could have played out after that incident and a goal could have been the least likely.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wel that's the point isn't it?

Free not paid - no one knows who wins
Free paid - game over loss assured.

Any chance we had to find out was taken away

“Yeah….nah””
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

No such thing as a certainty, but with only 30 odd seconds left on the clock it would have probably resulted in a draw.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

That makes more sense than people saying it would have been a certain goal if the free wasn't paid.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Teflon wrote:

That makes more sense than people saying it would have been a certain goal if the free wasn't paid.
You obviously haven't seen it Cairnsman,
Armitage had the ball in hand, 12 meters out directly in front, 3 metres clear, no-one in front of him.
It was a certain goal, absolutely no doubt.
The only thing we don't know is what would have happened after a centre bounce, a possible long kick forward for either team?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Teflon wrote:

You obviously haven't seen it Cairnsman,
Armitage had the ball in hand, 12 meters out directly in front, 3 metres clear, no-one in front of him.
It was a certain goal, absolutely no doubt.
The only thing we don't know is what would have happened after a centre bounce, a possible long kick forward for either team?
I've watched it a hundred times over I reckon trying to work it out and one conclusion is that Thomas was in a position to pressure or even initiate contact to Armos right side but didn't because the whistle had stopped. So I'm not so sure Armo was a gimme for the goal had the whistle not been blown.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: So I'm not so sure Armo was a gimme for the goal had the whistle not been blown.
I suppose there might have been an invasion from Mars in the interim.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: I've watched it a hundred times over I reckon trying to work it out and one conclusion is that Thomas was in a position to pressure or even initiate contact to Armos right side but didn't because the whistle had stopped. So I'm not so sure Armo was a gimme for the goal had the whistle not been blown.
Armitage, Milne, Goddard, Gram, Ray & Steven against Thomas.

Did you hear the commentators?

"They would have kicked a goal"

"StKilda were out, no-one between them and the goal there…"

Only a trolling imbecile would argue that we might not have kicked a goal.

Go figure.

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:
Your assuming that the goal was a gimme. All sorts of scenarios could have played out after that incident and a goal could have been the least likely.
I would have kicked a goal with my left foot with the space that was available - but we lost and we move on

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: I've watched it a hundred times over I reckon trying to work it out and one conclusion is that Thomas was in a position to pressure or even initiate contact to Armos right side but didn't because the whistle had stopped. So I'm not so sure Armo was a gimme for the goal had the whistle not been blown.

Go figure.
From the replay it looks like Thomas is only a step or two away from being directly in front of Armo's run into goal and had the whistle not gone then he would have certainly pressured Armo if not even made contact. Tell me I'm wrong.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:

Go figure.
From the replay it looks like Thomas is only a step or two away from being directly in front of Armo's run into goal and had the whistle not gone then he would have certainly pressured Armo if not even made contact. Tell me I'm wrong.
You're wrong.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:From the replay it looks like Thomas is only a step or two away from being directly in front of Armo's run into goal and had the whistle not gone then he would have certainly pressured Armo if not even made contact. Tell me I'm wrong.
i think you're probably wrong:

http://www.gameanalyser.afl.com.au/?rou ... ality=high

four saints are around the ball - goddard, armo, milne, gram - with only two pies in the picture; thomas, and o'brien on his back. absolutely not a guaranteed goal but gut feel says we would have kicked it.

but whatever, we weren't good enough.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:From the replay it looks like Thomas is only a step or two away from being directly in front of Armo's run into goal and had the whistle not gone then he would have certainly pressured Armo if not even made contact. Tell me I'm wrong.

four saints are around the ball - goddard, armo, milne, gram - with only two pies in the picture; thomas, and o'brien on his back. absolutely not a guaranteed goal but gut feel says we would have kicked it.

This argument will just go on and on and on.

Can someone please recontrsuct the whole play with Lego so we can put it to bed? :P

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

There were other players that BJ could have gone to but but he chose Armo and if you watch the replay he has to really stretch out his right arm to collect the ball but by that stage he was already slowing down because the whistle had blown. But had the whistle not blown then he would have been running at full tilt and in a pressure situation he may not have received the ball cleanly which could have given Thomas even more time to get in front of him. I'm not convinced that it was a gimme and yes we weren't good enough. It's very doubtful that we are going to miss out on the finals because of that one incident. Just sayin.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure the 'carry on' stems from the unusual circumstances of an incorrect decision legitimately determining the result of the game. Multiple Saints near ball, Armo half-hearted at pill on account of whistle.

Regardless of importance to St K in terms of ladder position, it's an extraordinary thing to have occur.

And not just a little shitty.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:There were other players that BJ could have gone to but but he chose Armo and if you watch the replay he has to really stretch out his right arm to collect the ball but by that stage he was already slowing down because the whistle had blown. But had the whistle not blown then he would have been running at full tilt and in a pressure situation he may not have received the ball cleanly which could have given Thomas even more time to get in front of him. I'm not convinced that it was a gimme and yes we weren't good enough. It's very doubtful that we are going to miss out on the finals because of that one incident. Just sayin.
5 on 1 heading into the goalsquare… how hard is it for you imagine that a goal was more likely than not?
You did pick Collingwood by 85 points and were also sure we would finish in the bottom 4, so it's fair to say that you have pretty little faith and absolutely no idea in general… just sayn.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's very doubtful that we are going to miss out on the finals because of that one incident. Just sayin.
100% agreement on that point.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:It's very doubtful that we are going to miss out on the finals because of that one incident. Just sayin.
100% agreement on that point.
That is true, however Collingwood may host a home final as a result. I'm sure Adelaide and Sydney would care if that decision means playing Collingwood at the MCG in round 1 of the finals instead of at home.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:There were other players that BJ could have gone to but but he chose Armo and if you watch the replay he has to really stretch out his right arm to collect the ball but by that stage he was already slowing down because the whistle had blown. But had the whistle not blown then he would have been running at full tilt and in a pressure situation he may not have received the ball cleanly which could have given Thomas even more time to get in front of him. I'm not convinced that it was a gimme and yes we weren't good enough. It's very doubtful that we are going to miss out on the finals because of that one incident. Just sayin.
5 on 1 heading into the goalsquare… how hard is it for you imagine that a goal was more likely than not?
You did pick Collingwood by 85 points and were also sure we would finish in the bottom 4, so it's fair to say that you have pretty little faith and absolutely no idea in general… just sayn.
Watch the replay again. BJ fed off the hand ball to Armo. I'm just pointing out that Armo was possibly covered by Thomas or even worse could have missed the pill altoghether. If you dry the tears from your eyes princess and watch the replay objectively you might get it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Watch the replay again. BJ fed off the hand ball to Armo. I'm just pointing out that Armo was possibly covered by Thomas or even worse could have missed the pill altoghether. If you dry the tears from your eyes princess and watch the replay objectively you might get it.
I think you're on your own here knob-jacket, every commentator on the night said it was going to be a certain goal, the ten threads and 1000 replies on here would suggest that most people agree…

Keep wishing for us to fail though, maybe one day you can revel in the glory of us being a bottom 4 side again…

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:
Watch the replay again. BJ fed off the hand ball to Armo. I'm just pointing out that Armo was possibly covered by Thomas or even worse could have missed the pill altoghether. If you dry the tears from your eyes princess and watch the replay objectively you might get it.
It is also possible that the crowd in the Southern Stand may have farted simultaneously and in doing so disturbed Armo's ball drop to the extent that the ball ultimately skewed off his boot and skidded through for a useless point.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Watch the replay again. BJ fed off the hand ball to Armo. I'm just pointing out that Armo was possibly covered by Thomas or even worse could have missed the pill altoghether. If you dry the tears from your eyes princess and watch the replay objectively you might get it.
I think you're on your own here knob-jacket, every commentator on the night said it was going to be a certain goal, the ten threads and 1000 replies on here would suggest that most people agree…

Keep wishing for us to fail though, maybe one day you can revel in the glory of us being a bottom 4 side again…
Well if the commentators said it was a certain goal then that settles it. "Knob-jacket" How old are you.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:

Well if the commentators said it was a certain goal then that settles it. "Knob-jacket" How old are you.
'princess' - which grade were you in when you were kicked out of school?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote: 5 on 1 heading into the goalsquare… how hard is it for you imagine that a goal was more likely than not?
It is also possible that the crowd in the Southern Stand may have farted simultaneously and in doing so disturbed Armo's ball drop to the extent that the ball ultimately skewed off his boot and skidded through for a useless point.
Now your being silly. Whilst possible highly unlikely.