Tank Time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Tank Time

It's tank time folks.

Sure, I'll get howled for this but it's the system of Dimwit and co so use it - others clearly have

Facts are we are not good enough to play finals and while draft picks aren't guarantee's what is guaranteed is you get an earlier choice for a lower finish. Those suggesting "let's beat the Blues and knock them out of finals" I don't get.
Let the Blues finish 8th - let them keep Ratten ( dud IMHO) they will be smashed week 1. Our objective is clear: get the highest pick we can.

I know some will say "oh the shame, what are we teaching the kids etc" facts are with 2 games to I think playing the kids does more for them than seeing Riewoldt hobble out.

Riewoldt - on ice
Hayes - on ice
Fisher - on ice
Schneider - hamstring academy

Ins from:

Ross
Ledger
Anyone tallish
Clarke
CurrenR
Newnes
Milera
Siposs

“Yeah….nah””
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tank Time

Teflon wrote:It's tank time folks.
yeah, i'll buy into that. bring in a few kids over the next two weeks - beat gws, lose to carlton. then even if carlton lose to essendon today they'll finish above us and we'll be 11th. richmond are a bit trickier, they'd need to beat freo today which seems unlikely. but if they do then thump port adelaide or essendon then we could even finish 12th!

pick 7 sure beats pick 10.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I've seen nothing to suggest that 1-2 picks better equates to a better player.

IMO, you show the kids that this club is desperate to win, always.

Roo perhaps shouldn't play, and I'd be happy for some to be rested next week, but if there is still a hint of finals v Carlton....

This club doesn't snuff itself out when there is a sniff!

The never say die attitude has already waned a bit too much for my liking, don't give them opportunity to cave in to it some more.

That's why they gained so much respect last couple of years, because they gave a stuff, every minute of every game.

Tanking can get stuffed.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Knowing our luck the ball would bounce the wrong way again and we'd win and end up back in 9th spot :P

Schillaci
Club Player

May as well pack up the shop and ready our self for 2013...if that means sending a few boys to the surgeon early or trying the new boys out then I'm all for it too.
time to add to motto...Fortius quo Fedilius...Next Year.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well thats a calm and measured approach from Teflon :roll: Lets Tank! :roll: I'm not sure how many folks were at the game last saturday arvo, but the net results of "tanking" were there to be seen by all! Melbourne took the "tanking" road and gained draft picks....just where do they rank at the minute?!!! YEARS away from success! Richmond took the tanking road and are as insignificant a force as ever they were! The dullbogs? well one wooden spoon later and they are further away than ever! Carlton are slight chance of making the eight..after almost ten years of mediocrity and false dawns. I DO NOT want to hear a word of tanking for picks as an answer to what we saw last night! :evil: I happen to think that this is the season we had to have, a season of calm and measured assessment by the new coach and his list manager, followed by some tough decisions about delistings/retirements and then an aggressive recruitment drive, followed by a good pre-season for 2013. This season was always going to be so.
(IMHO of course)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
sasaint
Club Player

Schillaci wrote:May as well pack up the shop and ready our self for 2013...if that means sending a few boys to the surgeon early or trying the new boys out then I'm all for it too.
time to add to motto...Fortius quo Fedilius...Next Year.
What he said. Time to give our kids a chance for a taste of the big league. Would love to see Ross, Markworth, Curren and Ferguson run out in a Saints top next week. (yes I know that would be two Rookie promotions but as far as I am concerned at least 2 players can go on the long term injury list)

Patience young grasshopper
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Give the kids a run by all means....but tank? NO WAY!!!!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

We put out our strongest side against Carlscum!!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Anyone suggesting tanking doesn't guarantee you good kids MISSES the point. Of course it doesn't as I said what it DOES guarantee is a higher order choice and I for one will take that any day over flogging a Hayes against Carlton so I can do myself out of that draft spot just so I can say " na na CArlton" - who gives a toss bout that???

Anyone also suggesting that resting players isn't tanking has also lost the plot as for comparing us to Melb/Rich cause we throw these last 2 games to our kids...... how hysterically far fetched is that??? For a start both those cellar dwellers offloaded ALL their experienced players.... We ain't doing that

FFS people get with the program, get ruthless the ONLY thing we can salvage now for next season is a better order pick in the draft to do with as we please - grab it

There is only 2 ways to bring quality on to our list - you trade it in or draft a top kid. Either way a higher order pick at least improves your chances of doing that because you obviously get a say before many other sides. As Cats di in 07 with Sellwood.
Sure, it don't guarantee you Sellwood..... but you have a better chance than the side limping into 8th hoping for miracles.

I don't buy the whole "it will damage our mentality " for 1 second and who honestly believes no other sides has done this?

Get smart. We don't make system, the MRP pathetic umpiring et al or the draft.... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't exploit it for our own purposes.

Pick 7 in a super draft would be lovely thanks.

“Yeah….nah””
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the Jigging Saint that we put our strongest side out against Carlton, but by then that could very well include Ferguson and Curren!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the guy who pleaded for some opinion that differs to your own?

You get some and you go the f-bomb.

IMO, you are ignoring the fact our 'football mentality' is already struggling a bit.

It's not the time to fluff the pillows so the group can have a nice lie down.

I'd be disgusted with the last few weeks last quarters if I was Scott, and see that they have two more weeks to rectify it.

This side is choosing a bit lately, and I personally wouldn't foster it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the guy who pleaded for some opinion that differs to your own?

You get some and you go the f-bomb.

IMO, you are ignoring the fact our 'football mentality' is already struggling a bit.

It's not the time to fluff the pillows so the group can have a nice lie down.

I'd be disgusted with the last few weeks last quarters if I was Scott, and see that they have two more weeks to rectify it.

This side is choosing a bit lately, and I personally wouldn't foster it.
Can't I say FFS - did I direct it personally at you??

Stay on topic and argue your case and leave my posting style to me TaNKS.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

But it's ok for you to start a completely new thread where you have a go at me for my posting style?

BadRossco
Club Player

Keep Kosi in team, no need to tank

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I agree with the Jigging Saint that we put our strongest side out against Carlton, but by then that could very well include Ferguson and Curren!
Both rookies, won't happen.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I agree with the Jigging Saint that we put our strongest side out against Carlton, but by then that could very well include Ferguson and Curren!
Both rookies, won't happen.
Do you think they will both be elevated for next season Bernie?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Teflon.

Time to shut up shop and get another two games into the likes of Newness, Cripps, ledger, Ross etc.

If that costs us a couple of places on the ladder, so be it.

the players on the field wont tank, but we can look to the future by protecting our (many) older players and by continuing the blooding of the youngsters.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

But it's ok for you to start a completely new thread where you have a go at me for my posting style?
I thought it was more tongue in cheek than having a go but if you choose to take it personally then thats your call

I won't insult you by telling you what I think you should do..

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

Pretty obvious that next week we should play as many kids as possible...

The week after, we're playing on Sunday, after all the other teams. So that we will know whether there is anything to play for or not. If a win would get us in to finals then I say go for the win.

Irrespective, I don't expect to see CJ or Kosi back again this season. Their time has gone.

My ideal round 23 team...

Simpkin Gwilt Geary
Gram Fisher Newnes
Montagna Dal Santo Goddard
Hayes McEvoy Armitage
Steven Stanley Sippos
Milne Riewoldt Saad

Int: Gilbert Dempster Schneider Dunell

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
paddy
Club Player

I think its a good opportunity to play some of our youngsters, and have a play around with some different game plans....

still think we try to win, every game, but nothing wrong with accepting that we not going to make the 8, so lets start focusing on next year...

battye
Saintsational Legend

I would not like to see a team try and lose. I would be disgusted to see that. Given there's nothing to play for this season now, I don't see any issue with playing the kids though and giving the experienced players an extended pre-season.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ok let me re phrase

Let's not tank but lets play ALL our kids

We still appear to be trying.... just inexperienced...... glad that's sorted!

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No point in tanking this late because we will still beat GWS and will still lose to Carlton. Play our best team that is fit.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

why?
if we are going to beat gws anyway and prob lose to carlton with the best side on the park whats the point in playing the best side?
the best side would consist of players like roo fisher dal hayes bj joey milne
the core
give some of them and early end to the year, get any surgery or niggles sorted out now a few weeks early and play some players that are under the pump to continue next year that the coaching panel is undecided about, plus some youngsters

they arent going to go out there and try to lose are they?
they will wont to prove something

roo fisher hayes kozi should at least sit imo
although i could see lebdog telling them to get farked

when ya round there tonight feeding his dog can you ask him for us?
cheers