Drop Centrebet sponsorship

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Drop Centrebet sponsorship

skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Look if you have an issue with gambling - and i do actually have a centrebet account that i use from time to time - and which i i have had for many years from before they sponsored the saints - i suggest the best avenue is for you to be writing a letter to your local mp - or state reps for the cth senate.
Our laws are enacted to (supposedly) represent community standards. So if something is legal - like online gambling - i dont think it is up to a club like the saints to make a statement about it. We are just a sports club running a quasi commercial business within existing laws. I personally would like to see less advertising for gambling. I think there should be some restrictions on it and it seems like the constant betting and odds updates on tv have gone too far and are really destroying the enjoyment of watching footy on tv for me. But thats really an issue between the afl and the broadcasters. Then there is the whole pokies issue which is another can of worms and imagine how NRL clubs would be looking without pokies. Not in good shape I imagine.
Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.
But really i dont think we are in a position to be knocking back sponsors - and 90% of people probably use sports gambling in a responsible way.
(just dont mention the fev or the ox).

would u accept sponsorsip from Peter Jackson or any of the other tobacco companies

Its illegal. Pretty sure gambling sponsorship isnt.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Look if you have an issue with gambling - and i do actually have a centrebet account that i use from time to time - and which i i have had for many years from before they sponsored the saints - i suggest the best avenue is for you to be writing a letter to your local mp - or state reps for the cth senate.
Our laws are enacted to (supposedly) represent community standards. So if something is legal - like online gambling - i dont think it is up to a club like the saints to make a statement about it. We are just a sports club running a quasi commercial business within existing laws. I personally would like to see less advertising for gambling. I think there should be some restrictions on it and it seems like the constant betting and odds updates on tv have gone too far and are really destroying the enjoyment of watching footy on tv for me. But thats really an issue between the afl and the broadcasters. Then there is the whole pokies issue which is another can of worms and imagine how NRL clubs would be looking without pokies. Not in good shape I imagine.
But really i dont think we are in a position to be knocking back sponsors - and 90% of people probably use sports gambling in a responsible way.
would u accept sponsorsip from Peter Jackson or any of the other tobacco companies
that answers that.

1. durry sponsorship is not legal.
2. they are not morally equivalent in my book anyhow (e.g 90% of sports gambling is 'responsible' whereas 0% of smoking is 'responsible').

p.s is anyone else really getting sick of jaime rogers?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
that answers that.

1. durry sponsorship is not legal.
2. they are not morally equivalent in my book anyhow (e.g 90% of sports gambling is 'responsible' whereas 0% of smoking is 'responsible').

p.s is anyone else really getting sick of jaime rogers?

Not me. She sounds better than the last guy and looks 100% better.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Aldi have withdrawn the Father's Day Pocket knife they had on sale to abide by their community social conscience. It was in response to some customers complaints that there are too many knives in soceity !!
The question is asked should we drop Centrebet as sponsors ?
If Centrebet was not around problem gamblers would find another avenue. Murderers would find a different weapon than a knife.

It's the Fool, not the Tool that is the problem.
The world is truly going crazy.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

lets try that again

hypothetically if it wasn't illegal, would you accept sponsorship from Peter Jackson or any of the other tobacco companies?

does that make it better

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

lets try that again

hypothetically if it wasn't illegal, would you accept sponsorship from Peter Jackson or any of the other tobacco companies?

does that make it better

We have but not now. Community standards are different. Should you be allowed to drink and drive?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote: Community standards are different.
that is the point many people are trying to make
that the community is getting sick of the gambling flood
and should the saints be part of that?

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Community standards are different.
that is the point many people are trying to make
that the community is getting sick of the gambling flood
and should the saints be part of that?

Gambling doesnt directly kill people and yes I know a few do commit suicide and crimes to get money but Alcohol has a similar effect and that isnt about to stop. There is no good at all in smoking.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well i wouldnt take sponsorship from tobacco comppanies based on the information we now have.
Also there is a strong (negative) link between sports and smoking.

Until someone can provide me with more data/information on the perils of sports betting then Im happy to take it.

having said that - you guys may well be right and be ahead of your time and more progressive on this than I am - and maybe in a decade or so you will be proven right. But at this stage Ill await more evidence. I certainly accept I could possibly be in the wrong sometime down the track.

#gosaintas
Club Player

And it's Jamie Rogers from Sportsbeah

She sounds so boganish when she drops that t but she looks hot

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Con Gorozidis wrote:Until someone can provide me with more data/information on the perils of sports betting then Im happy to take it.

match fixing

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We have but not now. Community standards are different. Should you be allowed to drink and drive?
all true but irrelevent

the question wasn't directed at you initially but let me put it too you

major sponsorship offer by B&H cigerettes, it's nit illegal... if you were in charge, would you accept it

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We have but not now. Community standards are different. Should you be allowed to drink and drive?
all true but irrelevent

major sponsorship offer by B&H cigerettes, it's nit illegal... if you were in charge, would you accept it
Not illegal to sell but illegal to advertise.

So it's not really relevant.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think we've well and truly established that... the initial part of this thread focused a little bit on an ethical dilemma, the question was asked in that context, it was not and never has been a suggestion

its just a hypothetical question...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
all true but irrelevent

No I wouldnt because community standards have changed. Smoking does no good at all and kills. If we didnt really know or care like 20 years ago then go for it but we do know now. If we could get CUB to sponsor us now the club would take it in a second. I cant how gambling sponsorship is different.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:No I wouldnt because community standards have changed. Smoking does no good at all and kills. If we didnt really know or care like 20 years ago then go for it but we do know now. If we could get CUB to sponsor us now the club would take it in a second. I can't see how gambling sponsorship is different.
+1.

You can't smoke regularly without it having some negative impact on you. Over years it can kill you, either directly or indirectly.

You can gamble and/or drink in moderation quite safely.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's not a good look for our club and in a perfect world I'd rather have a different sponsor. That probably makes me a hypocrite but I still don't like it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It's not a good look for our club and in a perfect world I'd rather have a different sponsor. That probably makes me a hypocrite but I still don't like it.
This is also not a good look

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:It's not a good look for our club and in a perfect world I'd rather have a different sponsor. That probably makes me a hypocrite but I still don't like it.

I don't understand your point. What does that have to do with St Kilda or choice of sponsors?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I don't understand your point. What does that have to do with St Kilda or choice of sponsors?
I'm just saying we need to shore up replacement sponsors before we think of ditching what we've got.

I've been through enough years of this club begging for its survival :(