Milne according to Richo ( the whiteboard)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Milne according to Richo ( the whiteboard)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
felix
Club Player

Re: Milne according to Richo ( the whiteboard)

Cool , you never get that sort of vision on the teli . Got to love Milney absolute legend of the game . 2 years left in the little fella hopefully . He will squeeze every ounce of footy goo out of himself by the end.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Cool , you never get that sort of vision on the teli . Got to love Milney absolute legend of the game . 2 years left in the little fella hopefully . He will squeeze every ounce of footy goo out of himself by the end.
listening to the press conferance today he said he has been on 1 year contracts for the last 5 years.
( asked for a 4 yr deal but got knowcked back ( with a smile) )

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

If his 2013 season is as good as this year , then he should certainly be offered another !
Would love to see him play 300 .
Also another 2 good years would see him get into the top 25 goalkickers of all time !

In red white and black from 73
felix
Club Player

Hehehe ...one year contracts are probably great motivators to perform if your good enough you will get another as per Milney

felix
Club Player

I love that he is starting to get across the board ( the whole footy world) recognition , no one can deny Milney now they tried but they can no longer ... Long live the tip rat

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:If his 2013 season is as good as this year , then he should certainly be offered another !
Would love to see him play 300 .
Also another 2 good years would see him get into the top 25 goalkickers of all time !
We'll certainly miss the little buggar when he's gone. :(

Doctor Two
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote: We'll certainly miss the little buggar when he's gone. :(
don't know who will lead the song

would love to see him stay on as runner after her retires

just to see him continue to give some lip on the field

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A tiger supporter mate has finally acknowledged he's a champ after claiming he been s*** for the last 10 years. Others are seeing what we do in him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In my opinion, he wasn't 'great', until that 2010 year. Being the No. 1 go to forward in that year and the limelight and the responsibility of doing the job for the team, finally earnt him the respect that he craved. He singlehandedly won so many games that year with his brilliance and seriously, I think he was one of the main reasons we won enough games to get to the GF in 2010. In 2010 it finally all came together for the tiprat.

Maybe maturity (i.e. settling down with family ) as well as the experience and the learning of how to handle pressure, as well as a willingness to adhere to a less selfish attitude on the field, as well as his durability and strength and years of pre-seasons behind him which combined has earnt him the right to be called a great footballer. Well done Milney.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:In my opinion, he wasn't 'great', until that 2010 year. Being the No. 1 go to forward in that year and the limelight and the responsibility of doing the job for the team, finally earnt him the respect that he craved. He singlehandedly won so many games that year with his brilliance and seriously, I think he was one of the main reasons we won enough games to get to the GF in 2010. In 2010 it finally all came together for the tiprat.

Maybe maturity (i.e. settling down with family ) as well as the experience and the learning of how to handle pressure, as well as a willingness to adhere to a less selfish attitude on the field, as well as his durability and strength and years of pre-seasons behind him which combined has earnt him the right to be called a great footballer. Well done Milney.
And the fact that Rooey was injured for a fair bit of that year - which makes it even better.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Badlands
Club Player

Robert Walls wrote a typical piece recently where he slammed Milne and wrote that not once in 16 finals appearances has he figured amongst saints' best. Of course most readers took this as fact and starting adding their views in the comments thread. This is a popular argument for the Milne bashers that gets brought up quite a bit and is not without some merit, but I immediately thought of the final against Geelong in 2009 where the little champ gave Josh Hunt an absolute bath and turned the match on its head with 3 goals in 5 mins of footy in the 2nd quarter. I doubt any one can argue that was a pretty big stage, friday night at the G'. I still remember the deafening roar (sadly only experienced through my tv) when milne outpointed Hunt hopelessly in a one on one marking contest, played on ridiculously, then slotted through a grubber from a very tight angle for his third goal. Interestingly, Walls' own paper saw fit to rate Milne high amongst the saints' best that night: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match- ... 14unc.html, but of course committing that performance to memory would inconvenience the popular argument from the Milne bashers, so they chose not to.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
karnaby
Club Player

Badlands wrote:Robert Walls wrote a typical piece recently where he slammed Milne and wrote that not once in 16 finals appearances has he figured amongst saints' best. Of course most readers took this as fact and starting adding their views in the comments thread. This is a popular argument for the Milne bashers that gets brought up quite a bit and is not without some merit, but I immediately thought of the final against Geelong in 2009 where the little champ gave Josh Hunt an absolute bath and turned the match on its head with 3 goals in 5 mins of footy in the 2nd quarter. I doubt any one can argue that was a pretty big stage, friday night at the G'. I still remember the deafening roar (sadly only experienced through my tv) when milne outpointed Hunt hopelessly in a one on one marking contest, played on ridiculously, then slotted through a grubber from a very tight angle for his third goal. Interestingly, Walls' own paper saw fit to rate Milne high amongst the saints' best that night: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match- ... 14unc.html, but of course committing that performance to memory would inconvenience the popular argument from the Milne bashers, so they chose not to.
+1
good pick up!

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:Robert Walls wrote a typical piece recently where he slammed Milne and wrote that not once in 16 finals appearances has he figured amongst saints' best. Of course most readers took this as fact and starting adding their views in the comments thread. This is a popular argument for the Milne bashers that gets brought up quite a bit and is not without some merit, but I immediately thought of the final against Geelong in 2009 where the little champ gave Josh Hunt an absolute bath and turned the match on its head with 3 goals in 5 mins of footy in the 2nd quarter. I doubt any one can argue that was a pretty big stage, friday night at the G'. I still remember the deafening roar (sadly only experienced through my tv) when milne outpointed Hunt hopelessly in a one on one marking contest, played on ridiculously, then slotted through a grubber from a very tight angle for his third goal. Interestingly, Walls' own paper saw fit to rate Milne high amongst the saints' best that night: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match- ... 14unc.html, but of course committing that performance to memory would inconvenience the popular argument from the Milne bashers, so they chose not to.

I think you mean 2010 Qualifying Final but you are 100% right. Thomo even admitted to me on twitter that he played pretty well in the drawn GF. He also played very well in the second semi against the Swans in 2004 when he kicked 4 goals I think.

However, there is no escaping the fact that he has 'generally' been a poor performer in finals. It's a incredibly hard position to play in a man on man hotly contested game which finals usually are.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Badlands
Club Player

thanks mate - i did of course mean 2010. cheers. Just reinforces that it really wasn't that long ago was it?
But you're right, his overall record in finals is not at all flattering. There's a pretty long list of small fwds who have gone missing in the pressure cooker of finals. Milney suffers for having now played so many! My only point was that if you're going to whack him for it, which is fair enough, at least acknowledge that there have been one or two occasions where he's had an impact. The Walls comment just struck me as a little mean-spirited.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:thanks mate - i did of course mean 2010. cheers. Just reinforces that it really wasn't that long ago was it?
But you're right, his overall record in finals is not at all flattering. There's a pretty long list of small fwds who have gone missing in the pressure cooker of finals. Milney suffers for having now played so many! My only point was that if you're going to whack him for it, which is fair enough, at least acknowledge that there have been one or two occasions where he's had an impact. The Walls comment just struck me as a little mean-spirited.
I read it the same way and was tempted to call him on SEN to correct him but didn't get around to it. He was wrong but it's the way the media and the AFL works. Facts are irrelevant.

I really used to like Walls but have lost quite a bit of respect for him especially after his performance in the media last year over Ross Lyon. Wallsy admitted that he nearly burned his bridges with Paul Roos in 2005 after he wrote an article about the Swans style of play. He said that he would never slag off on a mate like that again. But look out if you're not a mate. Milney is obviously not Wallsy's mate.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I was at that game vs geelong, sitting at ground level, and i was on the perfect angle to see milnes snap shop go through, and i distinctly remember that as one of the key moments of the game, when all the st.kilda fans went off.

another distinct memory of that game was lenny hayes crunching hip n shoulder on chapman that just laid him out,

but the most vivid memory was that sickening, horrid feeling in my gut when ling bounced that goal through... I have no memory of the moment i realised the goal hadn't been allowed...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."