Free agency- updated list from AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free agency- updated list from AFL

Royston wrote:Is the pick you get for FA....say Goddard going, is it 'that' clubs round pick or is it a pick 'created' by the league.
Do we get a first round pick from say Richmond if he goes to Punt Rd or do they keep their 1st rounder and we get a 1st rounder 'created' by the powers that be??
No the club picking up a free agent gives up nothing…
Our pick would be a pick 'generated' by the AFL, it sounds like it would be directly after our first pick - so we would have 13 & 14

Royston
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Royston wrote:Is the pick you get for FA....say Goddard going, is it 'that' clubs round pick or is it a pick 'created' by the league.
Do we get a first round pick from say Richmond if he goes to Punt Rd or do they keep their 1st rounder and we get a 1st rounder 'created' by the powers that be??
No the club picking up a free agent gives up nothing…
Our pick would be a pick 'generated' by the AFL, it sounds like it would be directly after our first pick - so we would have 13 & 14

Righto, thanks for the reply !!

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

dragit wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
dragit wrote:If we lose Goddard to free agency, then we will probably want to avoid picking up a free agent, otherwise we will risk diluting the compensation we would receive for Goddard.

I personally don't want to see a pick 13, turn into a pick 31 because we have picked up a 31 YO ruckmen, or even a 26YO defender.

An average key defender/ruckmen won't make us premiers next year, we need a longer term plan than that.
I'm not sure I understand your logic. How would pick 13 turn in to 31?
Apparently the compensation you receive for losing a player to free agency, takes into account any players that you gain via free agency. All part of a dubious "AFL determined formula" no doubt.

Say if we lost Goddard, but gained Cloke, then we would receive no compensation per se.

Not sure how it would be effected if we took a player of Chaplains calibre though? It could drop our compo pick from mid first round, back to end of fist round or second round - no-one knows until Andrew reads his tea leaves…

Didn't know that one. I thought you just get a compo pick for the player you lose.

That does change things a little.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

That makes sense to me. I dont fancy Chaplain at all though.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107