Apparently we have reduced the offer to BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Re: Apparently we have reduced the offer to BJ

P66 is right.

Can't understand why some are complaining. This is an important watershed moment for the club. Its key that we stand firm. We should not look to over pay players anymore. We need to have the flexibility to continually re-new our list, and secure and keep even spread of quality players... NOT one or two potential superstars, that perform to their peak once every 3 years and who are supported by a bunch of poorly skilled triers that fill up the remaining salary cap....

It up to Goddard to decide...otherwise... Sipposs: say hello to the HBF....your new position.

loris
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:P66 is right.

Can't understand why some are complaining. This is an important watershed moment for the club. Its key that we stand firm. We should not look to over pay players anymore. We need to have the flexibility to continually re-new our list, and secure and keep even spread of quality players... NOT one or two potential superstars, that perform to their peak once every 3 years and who are supported by a bunch of poorly skilled triers that fill up the remaining salary cap....

It up to Goddard to decide...otherwise... Sipposs: say hello to the HBF....your new position.

+1

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:P66 is right.

I would rather Siposs plays forward of center although with everyone seemingly playing everywhere this year I guess he will just run around like everyone else and get the ball.

mohannair
Club Player

Somemore info abt the BJ Saga

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

ESSENDON has emerged as the clear front-runner in the race to secure star utility Brendon Goddard.

Speculation has been rife all year that Goddard, recruited by St Kilda in 2002 as a No.1 draft pick, will leave the Saints.

However, the club and player said they were happy to talk at the end of the season about a new contract. St Kilda's season ended four weeks ago and there is still no word.

On Thursday night, sources close to Carlton suggested the Blues were out of the Goddard race, while AFL.com.au believes the likelihood of him making the trip west to Fremantle has diminished.

Goddard has been linked to Fremantle where his former coach Ross Lyon is now mentor.

After committing to Travis Cloke for five years, Collingwood - which recently declared its interest - appears to be out of the race due to a bulging salary cap, while the prospects of the 27-year-old staying at St Kilda appear bleaker by the day.

AFL.com.au approached Goddard at Federation Square on Thursday, only to be ushered away by a representative of his management agency, Elite Sports Properties.

It's the second straight day Goddard's people have gone the extra mile to ensure he doesn't utter a single word about his future.

An Essendon spokesman said the club's policy was not to comment on contractual matters, however, it has been reported the Bombers could offer Goddard a four-year deal close to $750,000 a year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As long as heaps of you saying big deal don't complain next year when he plays really well elsewhere.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:As long as heaps of you saying big deal don't complain next year when he plays really well elsewhere.
I don't think anyone believes if he goes he won't play well. it is a big deal but I tend to agree that we need to change the culture of paying overs to improve our list. Hawthorn could recruit Burgoyne and Hale while paying a premiership winning team because everyone at the club takes less than market rates to remain successful. Same with Geelong, they can actually keep a list with guys like Shannon Burns and second tier players for emergencies. Long term we need to do it and we might as well start now. Goddard looks stale anyway if he wants out for money he isn't all of a sudden feel invigorated.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Have a feeling we might be seeing this next year :evil:

Sainter for life.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Look at bloody Shytney.

They are a huge bunch of nonames running around in a GF that they may win today.

More than just Eddy and Mini that we had in 2010.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
noob
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Look at bloody Shytney.

They are a huge bunch of nonames running around in a GF that they may win today.

Most of those players play well as a team. Very tough competitors. I like the Sydney brand.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Look at bloody Shytney.

Most of those players play well as a team. Very tough competitors. I like the Sydney brand.
Jetta one of my favourites!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

No names????

Goodes, Mumford, O'Keefe, Jetta, Kennedy, Jack, Grundy, Mattner...

what a buch of hacks

Buckets
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:No names????

Goodes, Mumford, O'Keefe, Jetta, Kennedy, Jack, Grundy, Mattner...

what a buch of hacks

Was thinking the same and to think you left out Reid, Bird, McGlynn, Shaw etc they have a fantastic team and so do the Hawks!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:Image
Have a feeling we might be seeing this next year :evil:

paint him blue and he'd look like a character from Avatar -the oversized body makes him look a little like an inbred or maybe it's the uniform.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:As long as heaps of you saying big deal don't complain next year when he plays really well elsewhere.
SainterK, I promise you I will not be one of those people, in fact
I will be happy to help you remind others that he left the saints for more money

Seeya
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If what is being reported is true, why wouldn't bj leave?

Would have rocks in his head to stay.

There is only club loyalty with the fans.

Not players, coaches, admin.

How loyal will Watters be to the Saints aftwer his time as coach is finished?

Couldn't ask for a more loyal, committed professional for our club ATM, but he was loyal and committed to the Pies this time last season.

bj, take the money and run, will be the biggest pay packet in your life.

Thanks for your efforts especially in the 09 and 10 GF's.

i for one will always be appreciative.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6484817696
BRENDON Goddard will tomorrow sign a four-year contract to play with Essendon, forcing St Kilda to match the offer or lose its star.

Under restricted free agency rules, the Saints will have three days to offer the same salary and length of contract.

That seems highly unlikely.

Despite constant negotiations with Goddard's management, the Saints have refused to budge on their three-year offer.

Goddard has wanted a four-year deal.

He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it.

The contract from the Bombers is four years with no conditions.

Their offer is significantly better financially.

It's understood Goddard will earn between $675,000 and $725,000 a year at Essendon.

Goddard's manager Dan Richardson did not return calls today and Essendon would not to comment.

The tabling of the four-year offer on day one of the free agency period will end a tormenting several weeks for Goddard.

His first choice was to remain a Saint, but as they continued to stand firm with their offer, Goddard warmed to a move to another club.

People close to Goddard have said it has been a gut-wrenching decision to leave.

The AFL is expected to today receive Essendon's contract, which will be signed by Goddard or his manager. It will be then be sent to St Kilda for consideration.

The Saints have three days to match the offer or let their player go.

Compensation in the draft for St Kilda would be decided by the AFL

The Bombers are confident they will secure Goddard, although they understand player negotiations can take sudden twists. The Saints might reconsider its contract offer to Goddard.

However, that is unlikely.

St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold has maintained the club had offered Goddard a deal that ``respects him and respects the football club''.

It's understood the Saints offer, if he accepted it, would make him one of the highest paid players at the club.

Goddard, 27, has played 205 games for the Saints after being their No.1 pick in the 2002 national draft.

He was awarded life membership at the club's best and fairest count last month, where he did not make comment about his future.

Several of his teammates, who once believed Goddard would not leave the club, now believe his future is elsewhere.

Goddard will be a groomsman at teammate Nick Riewoldt's wedding in Texas this month.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Seeya Brendon, thanks for the memories.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bozza1980
Club Player

Move, don't move, just get it over with already.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

It Remains BJ's choice to make
if what they say is correct and accepting the saints offer would make him highest paid at St Kilda
surely the length is something that can be negotiated as the cotnract ends it's course in 2015?

Free agency is About players making a choice..... not about clubs saying farewell- ala trading..
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 30 Sep 2012 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Darren
Club Player

Reports that Brendon will sign a 4 year deal with Essendon tomorrow and we have to match the offer in 3 days.

Cya Brendan.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If this is true::

"He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it."

The clearly its the club pushing him out more so than Goddard wanting out. I feel a tad dissapointed for him if thats the case as he probably had ideas of being a 1 club player but the timing of our demise and his age and need to capitalise salary wise couoldnt be worse.

I wish him all the best - except against us.
Last edited by Teflon on Sun 30 Sep 2012 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

We better have some seriously big moves up our sleeve come trade time or ill be mighty pissed...

The reality is we have let a vital player at a key age walk to a competitor in a similar position to us, with nothing but a speculative pic in return...

Odd and annoying...

Love BJ as a player and will miss him greatly...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:If this is true::

"He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it."

The clearly its the club pushing him out more so than Goddard wanting out. I feel a tad dissapointed for him if thats the case as he probably had ideas of being a 1 club player but the timing of our demise and his age and need to capitalise salary wise couoldnt be worse.

I wish him all the best - except against us.
The club are disguising it as free agency arrangements, the reality is we're dumping him..

chook23
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:If what is being reported is true, why wouldn't bj leave?

Would have rocks in his head to stay.

There is only club loyalty with the fans.

Not players, coaches, admin.

How loyal will Watters be to the Saints aftwer his time as coach is finished?

Couldn't ask for a more loyal, committed professional for our club ATM, but he was loyal and committed to the Pies this time last season.

bj, take the money and run, will be the biggest pay packet in your life.

Thanks for your efforts especially in the 09 and 10 GF's.

i for one will always be appreciative.

What is your view on matching the so called terms from Essendon?

should saints be criticized if it does not?

saint4life
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:We better have some seriously big moves up our sleeve come trade time or ill be mighty pissed...

The reality is we have let a vital player at a key age walk to a competitor in a similar position to us, with nothing but a speculative pic in return...

Odd and annoying...

Love BJ as a player and will miss him greatly...
yes....must say......its a big call that Pelchen and co will be judged on but lets judge them on what they bring and overall where that leaves our list.

This move could set us up salary cap wise for this year and next......cant see who outside Riewoldts 500k would be pulling massive coin......surely then we have room to play hunter???

“Yeah….nah””