Goddard to Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wally
Club Player

Re: Goddard to Essendon

Just on fox news reported 4 years worth over 3 mill. No way we can match that and recruit other players.How much is Ess paying their other players? We never have salary cap room.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I cant beleive there are some who who think we should match the offer. Please tell me there are none who want to pay 3 million over 4 years to BJ. He is gone now because unless we do match it he must go. Good luck BJ. Dont blame you at all and blame the club even less. Money will always talk especially when you get so close in a GF but dont get over the line. Lets use this pick 13 wisely and even better still lets use the salary cap space even better.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I cant beleive there are some who who think we should match the offer. Please tell me there are none who want to pay 3 million over 4 years to BJ. He is gone now because unless we do match it he must go. Good luck BJ. Dont blame you at all and blame the club even less. Money will always talk especially when you get so close in a GF but dont get over the line. Lets use this pick 13 wisely and even better still lets use the salary cap space even better.
Wanted to keep him at the right price. Looks like that's not gonna happen so totally agree with what you've said there.

We can look to a break even, or even a win out of this. A lot will depend on how we use our comp pick.

However even if we trade/draft incredibly well we can still lose out if supporters from each side of the "keep him/lose him" debate continue to rip each other and the club apart.

The club always comes first - GO SAINTS 2013

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I cant beleive there are some who who think we should match the offer. Please tell me there are none who want to pay 3 million over 4 years to BJ. He is gone now because unless we do match it he must go. Good luck BJ. Dont blame you at all and blame the club even less. Money will always talk especially when you get so close in a GF but dont get over the line. Lets use this pick 13 wisely and even better still lets use the salary cap space even better.
Wanted to keep him at the right price. Looks like that's not gonna happen so totally agree with what you've said there.

We can look to a break even, or even a win out of this. A lot will depend on how we use our comp pick.

However even if we trade/draft incredibly well we can still lose out if supporters from each side of the "keep him/lose him" debate continue to rip each other and the club apart.

I agree the club comes first usually but in this case my opinion is more important. Follow what I think about the situation or stop psting please.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I agree the club comes first usually but in this case my opinion is more important. Follow what I think about the situation or stop psting please.
Gee, I agree with you and you're still grumpy :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Gee, I agree with you and you're still grumpy :shock:

Joking Doc. How could anyone be grumpy with you. Probably not even your wife is.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SainterK wrote:M, I'll pipe down now.

Made my point I think, just want to make sure people fully understand the two sides of his leaving us.

I remain unconvinced that there is not more to it...

Think he was young enough, good enough, to be a part of the next tilt and just don't buy that great footballers are going to flock to the club because we have something so special in this new FA market
K, I understand where you're coming from, I am old enough to remember the pain of losing plugger, Hall, etc etc. I am not saying players will flock to us, but if it comes to a choice of keeping BJ and having 3 crap players around him because we couldn't afford a better supporting cast, or losing BJ and having 3 quality players, I'll take the three quality players. I remember getting through seasons purely on the back of enjoying watching Plugger rip backlines apart, but we won absolutely bugger all. I remember the excitement of making the finals in 1991 for the first time in 18 years! Trust me, a strong, well balanced and managed list that can see us in the finals more often than not is far preferable to having a superstar whose exploits we can marvel ina team that doesn't make the finals.

The circumstances really don't count, only the outcome. The outcome is that he is gone from St Kilda, but the team is what we follow, not the individual, and the team will be having another crack at it next season. In fact I am quite excited at the prospect of an exciting draft and trade period. Given what Pelchen delivered last year with stuff all decent picks, I can't wait to see what they can do with a couple of earlier ones this year...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Ajantis
Club Player

Move on Goddard you had no intentions of staying at st.kilda even when you were given life membership - it didnt mean much too you at that stage.

All i see from goddard this year is anger/frustration. You need something new and i hope you go through the same issues at whatever club you join.

Cheers

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Made my point I think, just want to make sure people fully understand the two sides of his leaving us.

Think he was young enough, good enough, to be a part of the next tilt and just don't buy that great footballers are going to flock to the club because we have something so special in this new FA market
K, I understand where you're coming from, I am old enough to remember the pain of losing plugger, Hall, etc etc. I am not saying players will flock to us, but if it comes to a choice of keeping BJ and having 3 crap players around him because we couldn't afford a better supporting cast, or losing BJ and having 3 quality players, I'll take the three quality players. I remember getting through seasons purely on the back of enjoying watching Plugger rip backlines apart, but we won absolutely bugger all. I remember the excitement of making the finals in 1991 for the first time in 18 years! Trust me, a strong, well balanced and managed list that can see us in the finals more often than not is far preferable to having a superstar whose exploits we can marvel ina team that doesn't make the finals.

The circumstances really don't count, only the outcome. The outcome is that he is gone from St Kilda, but the team is what we follow, not the individual, and the team will be having another crack at it next season. In fact I am quite excited at the prospect of an exciting draft and trade period. Given what Pelchen delivered last year with stuff all decent picks, I can't wait to see what they can do with a couple of earlier ones this year...
+1

Goddard gave us some great games, but he aint no Plugger. In fact he is far from ever being that influential in a game.

If he doesn't accept our offer - good riddance

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Goddard gave us some great games, but he aint no Plugger. In fact he is far from ever being that influential in a game.

If he doesn't accept our offer - good riddance
He cant accept our offer now unless we match Essendon so he has gone.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Matrix?

Seriously?

People turn so quickly :(

One of our best players gone gone for a pick that could end up being the next Mitch Thorp or Beau Dowler
or the next Dal Santo or the next Lenny Hayes.

Stop being so pessimistic. Goddard was a gift from Carlton.

Not only do we ghet a high dp, but 600k in the Sc to keep emerging talent or attract a ruck and a key backman.

When Jon Brown signed for the Lions he could have got about 100k more from Collingwood and said he took the lesser amount so he could have some teamamates paid accordingly.

If you want to slam the club, maybe look at the money Goddard was offered and didn't take at the Saints.

Nobody is innocent or guilty over this. there are two sides to every story.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Goddard born to play GF's
can't see any in yhe next 3 years
win-win situation!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Please don't tell me what to feel JB, people can choose to be excited over a pick, I'm not....

Anyways, didn't Jonathan Brown get investigated because he had a house built for him?

I reckon he got compensated pretty fairly, clubs find a way.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Please don't tell me what to feel JB, people can choose to be excited over a pick, I'm not....
OK no problems, you can get all maudlin about a player not willing to take one for the team, who has left for money, and who wouldn't budge on four years while others get multiple one year contracts.

You can blame the club if you like. Up to you.

Just acknolwledge that the manager of bj has publicly stated that there is no ill will towards coach or anyone at the Saints from Goddard, its just that he hasn't the confidence to perform for the huge money he is demanding.

He was guaranteed for 3 years. St Kilda were burnt by the Hamill 5 year deal and have given nothing over 3 years since, however Goddard demands FOUR years and the top earner in the club.

He obviously doesn't want to play with his mates and has stated he went for "security". Fair enough, and good luck, no hard feelings, obviously hasn't the character to back himself to perform. Explains why he was never considered as captain, seems to be not equipped for that type of leadership I suppose.

i wont grieve over a player who doesn't want to play for the Saints. I look beyond players like Goddard.

I look at players who were one team players like Harvs, Burke, Stewie Loewe and compare them to Lockett and even Nicky who played for other teams.

In years to come Saints fans will look at Roo, and Lenny, and Dal and Joey, even Kosi as some of this era's greats and one club players, bj will be mentioned but will never be in that group.

Too bad, his decision, and not a bad one. Looking forward to our next chapter, not dwelling on ex players.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wow this place can be harsh.

I get called all manner of things for being too positive, I express my annoyance with something that I don't agree the club is doing, and I'm maudlin?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Windows, Smindows. Talk to the Cats about window closures. Won't be too long before we're back on track.

Lets face it also. Goddard isn't worth 800k over 4yrs, not for us at any rate (and in my opinion). We've been cutting a fine line lately in regards to staying under the salary cap, so why would he want to bleed that dry? Let him go if it's that important to him. I'm disappointed he wants out.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how many believe we should be matching the offer. I for one think we should have got a deal done a long time ago. It sounds like the 4th year was the sticking point, not so much the money. 600 p/a for 4 years I thought was quite reasonable. But seeing St Kilda wouldn't budge on the option of a 4th year I guess we'll never know.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
markp
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Not sure how many believe we should be matching the offer. I for one think we should have got a deal done a long time ago. It sounds like the 4th year was the sticking point, not so much the money. 600 p/a for 4 years I thought was quite reasonable. But seeing St Kilda wouldn't budge on the option of a 4th year I guess we'll never know.
Yup, it's too late now, that's the point.

Should never haver been told to go test the market.

It's like telling your girlfriend to go see if she can pick up a better guy. How's that gonna end well?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Four years on that kanga?

See ya BJ. Thanks for the effort.

If our board are worth their salt they will be laughing their arses off over that contract.

Almost double what he is worth. List killer. Like Cloke.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

markp wrote:It's like telling your girlfriend to go see if she can pick up a better guy. How's that gonna end well?
Unless you know you can do better, but don't want to be seen as the bad guy........

Already heard whispers that we have already done a deal with a KP player (identity being kept a very close secret), and whispers of us being up to our ears in Caddy and Hickey. Ultimately, if the wash-up is that we end up with a quality KP defender, up and coming on-baller, and up and coming ruck/forward and we lose BJ and a draft pick or two, then I think the team is stronger for it.

Maybe I am just not as emotionally attached to BJ as some.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SaintTom
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
markp wrote:It's like telling your girlfriend to go see if she can pick up a better guy. How's that gonna end well?
Unless you know you can do better, but don't want to be seen as the bad guy........

Already heard whispers that we have already done a deal with a KP player (identity being kept a very close secret), and whispers of us being up to our ears in Caddy and Hickey. Ultimately, if the wash-up is that we end up with a quality KP defender, up and coming on-baller, and up and coming ruck/forward and we lose BJ and a draft pick or two, then I think the team is stronger for it.

KPP? I know we need a monster backman, but I'm going to choose to live in a fantastical world where we get Tippett... Seeing on the AFL website that he's no certainty to return to QLD has left me happily choosing to interpret that as Pelchen having him squarely in his sights, and therefore not being as worried about Goddard.

Great to hear about Caddy, though. I've been made keen on him ever since there was the first inkling of him leaving, and he is someone I really can see us pursuing if we lose Goddard.

Just out of interests, what other KP players do we have the possibility of having an 'already done deal' with? Legitimate question...what worthwhile KP free agents are there out there? Or is this someone we've convinced to go into the draft and sign Luke Ball style?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

On saints web site now

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

"While we are disappointed at his decision to leave the Saints, we are absolutely committed to our ‘team first’ philosophy in relation to player contracts.”

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintwill66
Club Player

Goddard is indeed a quality player, but he has failed to be the consistent match-winner that he was often destined to become, and I doubt that he will achieve that with the Bombers: at age 27 his best years as a ruck-rover/mid-fielder/backline sweeper are behind him. He has on many occasions displayed ill-temperament towards both his team-mates and umpires, and so I'm not at all concerned about him moving on.

As has been noted elsewhere, Saints need to concentrate on recruiting a key defender, preferably a full-back as we haven't had one since Max was at his peak, which is a long time ago!

I have total faith in Watters and team management taking Goddard's departure as an opportunity to acquire the players needed to get St Kilda into contention for another crack at a premiwership!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Gee I hope there's silver lining..

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Gee I hope there's silver lining..
Caddy strongly being linked to Carlton