Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

forum meltdown if young KPF Stringer is picked up at 12 and is the next Jack Darling as has been touted... :lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
saintbob wrote:Any video footage???
Yes
http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tab ... fault.aspx

and

:D :D
So he was a Saints supporter? Surprised this hasn't been mentioned anywhere else!
He really needs to work on his upper body strength.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
savatage
SS Life Member

spot on wrote:Our rebuild isn't gonna come with just 1 very good player at pick 12, if we can get 3 good players at that price I will be happy with that. So we don't have players like Robert eddy running around in our grand finals.
Spot on!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was really good in a game I watched -some boags draft final against the other state comps i think it was against port melbourne. Kicked 6 from memory and I liked the look of him. The tac future stars had carlton into him at pick 11 in their fantasy draft and is at an age where he can play from the day he arrives. good get if he can get his form to the AFL. I thought pick 12 might be a bit high but he can go now not in 3 years at least.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Oh God....we've done it again........seems like a terrible trade to me...forget the other 2 picks....we gave up a blue chip pick in a great draft for a former pick #60 outcast (welcome by the way!).....think I can still hear the GWS guys laughing

Nee!
BadRossco
Club Player

Looks like or recruiters have probably dished up another Jodi Arnol, hope they don't blow the rest of the picks on the likes of Justin Sweeny, Barry Brookes and maybe John Beveridge could re-recruit his boy Luke. What is wrong with going into a strong draft and picking up young players as the premier ship window is not only closed but nailed shut.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote:Looks like or recruiters have probably dished up another Jodi Arnol, hope they don't blow the rest of the picks on the likes of Justin Sweeny, Barry Brookes and maybe John Beveridge could re-recruit his boy Luke. What is wrong with going into a strong draft and picking up young players as the premier ship window is not only closed but nailed shut.

I dont think age is an issue. He is only 21. Whether he is good enough who knows. Just need to hope we got it right.

savatage
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:Oh God....we've done it again........seems like a terrible trade to me...forget the other 2 picks....we gave up a blue chip pick in a great draft for a former pick #60 outcast (welcome by the way!).....think I can still hear the GWS guys laughing

Just like they laughed when we stole Saad & Milera from their clutches?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:Our rebuild isn't gonna come with just 1 very good player at pick 12, if we can get 3 good players at that price I will be happy with that. So we don't have players like Robert eddy running around in our grand finals.
Yes, I agree, I think that our list is in such a phuct up place at the moment that Pelchen is trying to multitask all of our decent picks to bring as much talent in as he can in a few years… last year it was a slight pick downgrade for Saad/Milera… this year a large downgrade, but to 2 picks… and Lee… Jury is of course out on Lee ATM, but I really like the premise of churning as much young talent in as possible…

An 18 YO, "potential" A-grader who is probably 5 years from excellent football may not as good for us (right now) as 2-3 B-graders.

paddy
Club Player

i like it, We can pick up good kids with the rest of our picks....

i will be glad without caddy, as he will struggle for game time, and happy for the likes of ledger, newnes, ross to get a run around...

I think that picking up mature age recruits is going to be the way forward (pardon the pun) as we have seen with: Mzungu, Puopolo, Isaac smith... not to mention our lads saad and milera

these are player who have demonstrated their ability to apply themselves and also that they aren't made of glass (see jack watts)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Yes, I agree, I think that our list is in such a phuct up place at the moment that Pelchen is trying to multitask all of our decent picks to bring as much talent in as he can in a few years… last year it was a slight pick downgrade for Saad/Milera… this year a large downgrade, but to 2 picks… and Lee… Jury is of course out on Lee ATM, but I really like the premise of churning as much young talent in as possible…

An 18 YO, "potential" A-grader who is probably 5 years from excellent football may not as good for us (right now) as 2-3 B-graders.

That is true but also surely that is only for the people who think the window is still open.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:forum meltdown if young KPF Stringer is picked up at 12 and is the next Jack Darling as has been touted... :lol:
Why didn't we offer 13 instead of 12 and do the deal in 2 weeks. Other clubs must have been chasing him pretty hard for us to deal before we had BJ's compo pick. Will be interested in who GWS pick at 12. Suggests Tommy Lee must be pretty handy. Hope he is.

savatage wrote:
fugazi wrote:Oh God....we've done it again........seems like a terrible trade to me...forget the other 2 picks....we gave up a blue chip pick in a great draft for a former pick #60 outcast (welcome by the way!).....think I can still hear the GWS guys laughing

No, we all instantly felt good about that trade, cos we got two promising young but ready to go players, and dropped 5 places (20-25) in an indifferent draft.......here we drop 12 places in a great draft for an already tried player, who is ranked as a mid to late second rounder at best.

Look....I reallly hope I'm wrong, but it feels like a rash move, going back to the GWS well again hoping for some gold.

Would have preferred to hang on to 12 and 13 and take the best two kids and try players and second round picks to pick up say Hickey

It feels forced and contrived, like we're trying to desperately get something for losing BJ.

Nee!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We also get picks 24 and 43 don't forget.

StevieSaint
Club Player

Watch him kick five goals in his debut in round three...he is the reincarnation of JASON HEATLEY!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GO SAINTS GO
savatage
SS Life Member

Except he's 7cm taller & takes overhead marks!!!

savatage
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:
savatage wrote:

No, we all instantly felt good about that trade,.
As I feel now! This guy could've been taken around pick 10 this year, a lot of good football judges had him around the mark. Now let's wait and see what the net worth equates to, as I'm certain some of these other picks we've acquired will be used in other deals.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saint6709 wrote:LINK to a highlights reel anyone ????????
http://www.saints.com.au/video%20%20aud ... fault.aspx
Like.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Except he's 7cm taller & takes overhead marks!!!
And hopefully he has a different attitude on leaving the goal square to chase his opponent

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
savatage wrote:Except he's 7cm taller & takes overhead marks!!!
And hopefully he has a different attitude on leaving the goal square to chase his opponent
oh yeah...

mick13
Club Player

Also GWS never had these players. They have been 'pre-listed' and qualify under one thing or another. Essentially are there for GWS to trade and receive picks for.

They were never going to have Saad, Milera or Lee in their team if we didn't trade for them.

SaintTom
Club Player

I've only seen that highlights package, but I can see why he's being called agile. Looks like he can turn on a dime, especially for his height. Can't really tell, but he doesn't look super quick. That agility will certainly help in backline pressure if he applies himself. Not to be unfair on Kosi, but he runs straight at someone, and if they take one step out of the way he resembles a Mack truck macking a three point turn to try and get them. Will be good to have someone at that height who is quick on their feet.

howlinwolf
Club Player

How about this... EVERY decent talent has been thoroughly checked out out by every AFL club already. To trade for any of these "marquee" players is easy, you just have to sell the house and pay overs.
Smart recruiting is grabbing someone that has a good chance of being a marquee player but paying unders for him.
Tom Lee looks VERY promising in the highlights video. Hell, He looks like a Kosi type contested mark, a Milney off the back goal and a good kick too. Can play back or forward and has obvious rare agility to look like a small when he is actually a good size.
I'm very happy getting him and have faith in Pelchen already knowing what he is going to do with the extra picks we got with Tom.

If there was some little disappointment for me I realise the Frawley dream may be over.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
spot on
Club Player

I don't think our window is still open, but I don't want us to think early draft picks are the answer, I don't think Sydney have had many low picks in the last 10 years apart from Gary Rowan who obviously didn't play much

savatage
SS Life Member

If Low picks were the answer Melbourne FC would be winning premierships every year! Instead they just collect great young juniors and turn them into crud.