Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Re: Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

A straight swap for Brown is about right but if it's a straight swap for Stevens then it's daylight robbery and we are the ones with our pants around our ankles.
Oh I do love a good mixed metaphor.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Fkn WCE list manager with a quote akin to "We want to deal a deal on Cripps and We hope St.Kilda respect his wishes to play with us"

Hmmm - we have to respect Cripp's wishes but they dont have to respect Browns :roll:

Arrogant pricks
Yep. Cripps played 16 games for us this season, so almost a regular. Brown is locked in behind three good players over there and can't crack a regular senior game.

You'd reckon a straight swap would be a fair deal. In their favour even.

Some want to chuck them draft picks as well as Cripps to secure Brown. :roll:

Its amazing what a wrong stat or 2 can do to a discussion. Cripps played 12 this year which is only 4 more than Brown who has played 35 more games than Cripps. One is KPP and the other is an outside runner. I still say we will have to give slightly especially since one is contracted.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Fkn WCE list manager with a quote akin to "We want to deal a deal on Cripps and We hope St.Kilda respect his wishes to play with us"

Hmmm - we have to respect Cripp's wishes but they dont have to respect Browns :roll:

Arrogant pricks
Yep. Cripps played 16 games for us this season, so almost a regular. Brown is locked in behind three good players over there and can't crack a regular senior game.

You'd reckon a straight swap would be a fair deal. In their favour even.

Some want to chuck them draft picks as well as Cripps to secure Brown. :roll:
Are you sure Cripps played 16 games for us this year? Might want to check that. Don't reckon he did. No where near a regular.

Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote: Agree on Stevens, he is surplus to our requirements.
How many mature pure inside mids do we have apart from Lenny??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote: Are you sure Cripps played 16 games for us this year? Might want to check that. Don't reckon he did. No where near a regular.
He played 12 this year + 4 last year (2011)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
No use trading for a player just for the sake of it. Stevens hasn't impressed me at all. Given he suffered from OP when he was first drafted certainly hasn't helped him but he's really just another plodder. He's slow and has average skills. The only thing he has going for him is his size but I'm not expecting him to be the next Kennedy or Watson.

We've already got Armitage and Steven and then Ledger and Ross coming through as inside mids. It's also worth mentioning Curren who may be elevated from the rookie list. If anything we need to draft a quick, outside mid, especially if Cripps doesn't hang around which at this stage looks likely.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We are pretty short on midfielders under the age of 28.

Armo, Steven, Curren, Ross & Ledger... Reckon you need at least 8 guys who can go through the middle consistently. I can't comment on Stevens really, but I do think we need to bolster our younger aged midfield department. Stevens might be better than WCE 4th rounder or worse still - we get nothing for Cripps.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
No use trading for a player just for the sake of it. Stevens hasn't impressed me at all. Given he suffered from OP when he was first drafted certainly hasn't helped him but he's really just another plodder. He's slow and has average skills. The only thing he has going for him is his size but I'm not expecting him to be the next Kennedy or Watson.

We've already got Armitage and Steven and then Ledger and Ross coming through as inside mids. It's also worth mentioning Curren who may be elevated from the rookie list. If anything we need to draft a quick, outside mid, especially if Cripps doesn't hang around which at this stage looks likely.
Yet Kennedy and Watson were deemed nothing special at the same age that Stevens is now - in fact one was actually traded out by his team.

Both Kennedy and Watson are not gifted with running speed nor were they highly skilled at a younger age - in fact you still would not class them as highly skilled though no doubt they have improved in this area over time as could Stevens.

Fact is that Stevens I would say is a pure inside mid - Armitage, Steven and Ledger I would consider to be inside and outside - only Ross you could maybe judge as being purely inside alongside Lenny - we did have Ball also as an purely inside mid and I would go far enough as to say we havent yet replaced him.

A huge part of our problem since Ball has left has been contested possessions / clearances especially when it came to stoppages - this year we didnt have a player in the top 23 for both (Lenny 24th in the league for clearances) and the team ranked in the bottom six for both - it is a gaping hole in our side that needs to be filled (considering Lenny is nearly 34)

I agree that K. Stevens might not be the final answer but we could do a lot worse for a gap that needs to filled now - with more senior game time who knows how he might turn out - just look at Watson and Kennedy

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:One is KPP and the other is an outside runner. I still say we will have to give slightly especially since one is contracted.
You think even that will get the deal done? It sounds like they are not going to budge on it.
West Coast remains steadfast in its stance that Brown will not be traded, with club list and contracts manager Craig Vozzo saying yesterday: "Nothing (has changed), he's contracted and very much a required player and an important part of our future
".

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:It sounds like they are not going to budge on it.
Everyone's categorical until they're suddenly not. Brian Lake was going nowhere until suddenly he was a Hawk. Caddy was worth two first-round draft picks until suddenly he was worth a single late first-round pick. Etc, etc. Believe nothing of what you read in the media and you won't be too far wrong.

Rosco
Club Player

Devilhead, you've aged Lenny a year, he turns only 33 in a couple of months.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:Devilhead, you've aged Lenny a year, he turns only 33 in a couple of months.
34 makes him sound more superhuman - if that's possible!!

BadRossco
Club Player

Anything more than a straight swap Cripps for Brown will see the saints get bent over again. Although anything could happen with our recruiting staff seeming terrified of going to the draft with early picks, surely all they need to do is buy a copy of the HS and follow Shifter's advice. My information from the west is that Mitch Brown is virtually a poor mans Jason Blake.

doggerel
Club Player

Trade Week Update

from saints.com.au 9.10.12 12:56pm

ST KILDA Head of Football Chris Pelchen has confirmed the Club is in discussions with West Coast in a bid to reach a deal that could see young forward Jamie Cripps trade places with Eagle’s defender Mitch Brown.

Pelchen told SEN on Tuesday morning the Club is confident of getting a deal done that is attractive to both parties.

“We’ve had several discussions now with the Eagles, and I should say firstly that we respect Mitch is a contracted player so he is still tied with the West Coast Eagles and it’s their prerogative if they choose to trade him or not,” Pelchen told SEN.

“But Mitch has made it clear to both us, through his management, and also to the Eagles that he would like to return home to Melbourne.

“With Jamie Cripps indicating the same through his management to us, we thought it was a win-win situation for both clubs, with both players wishing to return to their original state.

St Kilda has specified all year it is chasing a key defender and is looking to bolster its ruck stocks through the trade and upcoming draft periods.

“We’re still confident we can get a deal done but obviously it has to be attractive to both parties” Pelchen said.

Pelchen also confirmed the Saints are in discussions with Melbourne after the Dees approached the Club to express their interest in securing contracted midfielder Farren Ray.

“We’ve spoken to Melbourne. It should be highlighted that Melbourne approached us about Farren. He’s contracted to St Kilda and we’d love him to stay here to be honest, but at the same time his manager has suggested that if there are greater opportunities elsewhere they would like to explore them so hence our discussions with Melbourne.

“They’re very early days between Melbourne and us so nothing has eventuated at the moment.”

Entering the second day of the Gillette AFL Trade Period, the Saints have already secured 21-year-old tall forward Tom Lee and are still anticipating a first round selection for the loss of Brendon Goddard through free agency to the Bombers.

“In terms of compensation for free agents lost, you can have a mid-first round selection, (or) you can have an amended first round selection and so on from there.

“The mid-first round selection comes in immediately after your allocated pick in the draft, so we would anticipate getting pick 13, which would have been following our initial pick 12 [which was given to GWS].”

Pelchen said the Saints have picked up a versatile utility in Tom Lee, who the Saints secured yesterday through an AFL pre-draft selection deal with the GWS Giants, on the first day of the 2012 Gillette AFL Trade Period.

“(Tom) does have flexibility in his game that will help the Club across the ground.He certainly has the athleticism to play a tall utility role, that’s evidenced in his ability to play back, forward and in the ruck over the last 24 months in the WAFL level. At 195cm you’d suggest he is more of a key forward.”
for saints.com.au

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Sobraz
SS Life Member

^is that a week old?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From Brian Speaking Big Footy:

"Movement on the Brown front today, they have gone from not budging to maybe make us an offer"

who knows.

“Yeah….nah””
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Lets hope you are correct Brian - apparently Mitch is back from holidays so hopefully he has been able to convince them to release him. It will remain of interest what the Saints have to give up to get him?

Fingers crossed we can get this and the Hickey trade completed - will make for a very different looking Saints side in 2013.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Lets hope you are correct Brian - apparently Mitch is back from holidays so hopefully he has been able to convince them to release him. It will remain of interest what the Saints have to give up to get him?

Fingers crossed we can get this and the Hickey trade completed - will make for a very different looking Saints side in 2013.
i would suggest they wanted him back to put a succession plan to him. The Eagles will probably get a "i want to be near my brother, mates and family and just want out" and will cut their loses. I think they will do a deal just probably trying for something a little nicer than a straight swap. I trust the Saints recruiting team to get a good outcome and think we will end up with Brown for cripps and a trade up for the third round pick. just something to take back to their members and show they got a little extra out of us.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
8856brother wrote: Are you sure Cripps played 16 games for us this year? Might want to check that. Don't reckon he did. No where near a regular.
He played 12 this year + 4 last year (2011)
how many times did he start as a sub

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Lets hope you are correct Brian - apparently Mitch is back from holidays so hopefully he has been able to convince them to release him. It will remain of interest what the Saints have to give up to get him?

i would suggest they wanted him back to put a succession plan to him. The Eagles will probably get a "i want to be near my brother, mates and family and just want out" and will cut their loses. I think they will do a deal just probably trying for something a little nicer than a straight swap. I trust the Saints recruiting team to get a good outcome and think we will end up with Brown for cripps and a trade up for the third round pick. just something to take back to their members and show they got a little extra out of us.

More likely we'll give them the 3rd round pick

Nee!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Eagles say Mitch Brown off the trade table

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Eagles have said that they will not trade brown and have ceased all speaking to stkilda about him...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:Eagles have said that they will not trade brown and have ceased all speaking to stkilda about him...
If that's the case we need to forget about him and move on. If they're bluffing in order to lift his price then tough.

If there's someone else suitable who's available then have a nibble. Otherwise look for someone to draft from the state leagues.

And time to play hardball with West Coast re Cripps and force him to the Draft if necessary.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Eagles say Mitch Brown off the trade table
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... est-coast/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Burkey 1
Club Player

Maybe time to look at Stephen Gillham before its too late.