Moderators/ Suggestions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Moderators/ Suggestions

SainterK wrote:If Mods are reading this thread for suggestions, many people have asked for a picture of disabled people to be removed from the thread 'for the trolls' because they find it extremely offensive.

If you agree or otherwise, the concept that it distresses so many should be enough...could it please be removed?
I have no problems with 'that' image being removed, as it probably crosses the line… however I don't really want someone else constantly deciding for me what is too offensive. We all have different tolerance levels for what offends us, so I think that unless something breaks a board guideline, then we should have the chance to be offended or not.

If something offends you, isn't it easier to close the thread or change channels? I find Chris Lilley & Sacha Baron Cohen hilarious, but at the same time I am sure their material is absolutely offensive to many… doesn't mean it should be banned, just turn it off if you don't like it, or go to another thread.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:If Mods are reading this thread for suggestions, many people have asked for a picture of disabled people to be removed from the thread 'for the trolls' because they find it extremely offensive.

If you agree or otherwise, the concept that it distresses so many should be enough...could it please be removed?
I have no problems with 'that' image being removed, as it probably crosses the line… however I don't really want someone else constantly deciding for me what is too offensive. We all have different tolerance levels for what offends us, so I think that unless something breaks a board guideline, then we should have the chance to be offended or not.

If something offends you, isn't it easier to close the thread or change channels? I find Chris Lilley & Sacha Baron Cohen hilarious, but at the same time I am sure their material is absolutely offensive to many… doesn't mean it should be banned, just turn it off if you don't like it, or go to another thread.
With all due respect, I think you miss the point by a wide margin.

It's the same argument that people used with racist jokes.

How very tolerant and evolved of you not to find something offensive that isn't directed at you or someone you love.

Let's all have a laugh at disabled people, they look so funny.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
dragit wrote:

With all due respect, I think you miss the point by a wide margin.

It's the same argument that people used against racist jokes.

How very tolerant and evolved of you not to find something offensive that isn't directed at you or someone you love.
For starters, you have absolutely no idea what my racial background is, or if I or any of my family members have a disability… so please keep your smarmy put downs out of this.

You have completely missed my point, obviously.

Did you miss the part where I said that posters and posts which break the board guidelines should be removed - which racism would absolutely be at the top of?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ok, ok

Enough with the private PMs asking me to run for head "mod" - ill do it.... just need to sort out remuneration and I'm in.

What do I stand for ??

A "fairer" SS... one free of Pluggerism..
A "community" SS.. one that comes together often at Stingers place
An "economically responsible" SS..... where all members get to cough up to support me
A "free from utopia" SS..... where reality means the glass is actually half full..... NOT... "we got so much optimism we gonna need a few buckets!!"

I'm your man people.

Will kiss babies/yummy mummy's as required - shall leave all man hugging stuff to Pav... (it's his thing).

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:I'd have to nominate Joffaboy. 16,000 or so considered, sensible and well articulated posts is testament to his passion for the site.

You would be first one banned, numpty.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

I would like to nominate Saintbrat and SainterK.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: For starters, you have absolutely no idea what my racial background is, or if I or any of my family members have a disability… so please keep your smarmy put downs out of this.

Did you miss the part where I said that posters and posts which break the board guidelines should be removed - which racism would absolutely be at the top of?
I didn't miss your point.

You evidently think it's funny to make jokes about disabled people on a public forum, I sure as fk do not.

I don't give a shyte whether or not there is a clause covering it in the SS rules and guidelines.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
dragit wrote: For starters, you have absolutely no idea what my racial background is, or if I or any of my family members have a disability… so please keep your smarmy put downs out of this.

You evidently think it's funny to make jokes about disabled people on a public forum, I sure as fk do not.

I don't give a shyte whether or not there is a clause covering it in the SS rules and guidelines.
ERM… what? In case you didn't notice, I didn't post those pictures… I also agreed they should be removed… get your head out of your arse. I am generally one of the first people to report racist and inappropriate threads.

Coming from someone whose post count would be halved if we removed the bikini-babe objectifying-women threads… I will not be lectured by this man. Or is that thread okay because it's a "general forum"?

FWIW, I think sainterK would be a great mod, I just don't want threads shut down because someone is offended by the term "list clogger"

markp
Saintsational Legend

Bizarre.

You were one of the first to crack a joke about the appalling picture that made fun of disabled people. I took that as evidence you thought it was funny, not that you thought or agreed it should be removed.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would second the nomination of Saintbrat and SainterK.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Bizarre.

You were one of the first to crack a joke about the appalling picture that made fun of disabled people. I took that as evidence you thought it was funny, not that you thought or agreed it should be removed.
Apology accepted…

The first reply that you quoted said
dragit wrote:I have no problems with 'that' image being removed, as it probably crosses the line…
The comment I made about the photo, was that one of the people looked like a magda szubanski character, which may be offensive, so I apologise.

I will apologise to you Mark too, as I think this bickering has got out of hand…

I am not someone who is easily offended, so perhaps shouldn't be the moral gatekeeper on here, but when some people are deeply offended by the use of the term 'list clogger', then clearly we have a massive discrepancy on what we see as inappropriate.

markp
Saintsational Legend

If I'm elected mod I will ban people who are offended by the term 'list clogger'.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have women to objectify.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:If I'm elected mod I will ban people who are offended by the term 'list clogger'.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have women to objectify.
(Smily face)

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I see it's the off season again! Back to the same old topics.

Just to throw something up in defence of us who do keep an eye on this place;

We come on here, lock topics, delete posts, ban posters, and we get blasted for 'over-moderating.'
We come on here, let things go a little, keep a watch on some posters who may be questionable, but don't lock or delete as much and we are 'under-moderating'.

It really is a no win situation for us.

Too many moderators will cause more problems. Too many different opinions of a situation come into play and will cause problems. The few of us who are here currently have a pretty similar view on it all.

Saying that, we can't be here all the time! I try to respond to anything reported ASAP, but sometimes that can't be for a period of time.

We are doing what we can, when we can.

They walk amongst us...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I see it's the off season again! Back to the same old topics.

We come on here, lock topics, delete posts, ban posters, and we get blasted for 'over-moderating.'
We come on here, let things go a little, keep a watch on some posters who may be questionable, but don't lock or delete as much and we are 'under-moderating'.

Too many moderators will cause more problems. Too many different opinions of a situation come into play and will cause problems. The few of us who are here currently have a pretty similar view on it all.

Saying that, we can't be here all the time! I try to respond to anything reported ASAP, but sometimes that can't be for a period of time.

Yeah, I reckon you blokes are doing a great job (and I'm not sucking up either 8-) )

Clearly some people have got quite worked up over a particular photo on a particular thread and that's fair enough. It's pretty hard to prevent those sorts of things and people have to be a bit realistic in terms of how quickly mods can respond to such complaints.

However let's not throw the mods out with the bath water. There's more than 800,000 posts on this joint; let's keep things in perspective.

Saints43
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:Saying that, we can't be here all the time!
plugger66

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
HSVKing wrote:Saying that, we can't be here all the time!
plugger66
We wouldn't wish this upon anyone :P

They walk amongst us...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Compared to previous persons we have had sitting in the Mod chairs, the current Mod Mob do a great job.

The reason they might not respond quickly enough to offensive posts is that they are still sifting through the hundreds of reports Stinger has sent them, complaining about everything down to the length of his toenails.

The GF is where most of the fun starts, and most know that if they post there what they are going to get. The current policy of non-interference, combined with the ability to foe certain people, is working really well for the die-hards that post there.

Unless one of the current Mods want out, I don't see the reason for change.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Too many moderators will cause more problems. Too many different opinions of a situation come into play and will cause problems. The few of us who are here currently have a pretty similar view on it all.
I take it that's a NO then at the suggestion that anyone else become involved in moderating?

I don't think you guys are doing a bad job at all (the contrary), but wouldn't it be a good idea to perhaps let the users vote on who we have?

Also just wondering about the locking of threads which don't have any offensive material, it might be good to just drop a quick line at the end before you lock it to explain why, as it's pretty confusing and people generally want to just start them up again…

e.g.
The stickies suggestion thread…
was it closed because…
a. the technology can't accommodate the request
b. it should be in another forum
c. it's a stupid suggestion
?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:e.g.
The stickies suggestion thread…
was it closed because…
a. the technology can't accommodate the request
b. it should be in another forum
c. it's a stupid suggestion
?
d. It was actioned and no longer required.

They walk amongst us...

FQF
SS Life Member

The colour scheme desperately needs to change. White text on black is shocking to read.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The colour scheme desperately needs to change. White text on black is shocking to read.
You can change it in your profile.

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:

ERM… what? In case you didn't notice, I didn't post those pictures… I also agreed they should be removed… get your head out of your arse. I am generally one of the first people to report racist and inappropriate threads.

Coming from someone whose post count would be halved if we removed the bikini-babe objectifying-women threads… I will not be lectured by this man. Or is that thread okay because it's a "general forum"?

FWIW, I think sainterK would be a great mod, I just don't want threads shut down because someone is offended by the term "list clogger"
that guy is mr nobody afaic...just ignore him and his hate filled rants...i do.... :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I see it's the off season again! Back to the same old topics.

i think you guys do okay.....i have no complaints....just responding to the op..... :wink:

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

markp wrote:Let's all have a laugh at disabled people, they look so funny.

I think that's a bit much..... but I do agree. Let's find a kid in a wheelchair and set him pon fire and roll him down a hill - how **** funny would that be ???

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!