YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELVES....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELVES....

plugger66 wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:We are good shape. Just stop the negative. Hickey was on his way to Collingwood for pick 18

They got him we did not pay overs we improved our draft prospects give me break Terry Wallace killed Richmond's list.
Lee was going to Carlton. In the 1st round of the draft. We got him too. We did not get the one we were really after we will next year. His name is James Frawley. Just relax

Sounds like rubbish.
Got a feeling Frawley had two years left on his contract this year. Can see it now with Saints and Dees at a stalemate until 1:55, then we give up and trade the uncontracted Ray to Dees for a pick in the 40's...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
evo
Club Player

The word disgraceful and incompetent are two words I would use to describe some of our posters after this trade period.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:The word disgraceful and incompetent are two words I would use to describe some of our posters after this trade period.
We should trade some posters tobthe filth forum

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

beartalbot wrote:OK, could we please cease the constant negativiity against our Club that seems to have crept into this forum.
Although only a recent contributor here, due to my previous poor computer skills, I have been a tragic Saints supporter since 1960.
This has caused negative comments from opposition supporters over the years, much of it light hearted.
To hear it coming from confessed StKilda supporters causes me some distress.
I, for one, feel that our achievements during the recent trade period were positive as we picked up seasoned youngsters in Lee and Hickey with our first round selections 12 & 13. Our previous record around these picks, Lynch etc were not successful.
I truly believe that Watters, Pelchen etc deserve some credit in trying to cover deficiencies, using selections on players within the correct age group to ensure a smooth transition once mature players careers end.
We still have four selections in the second round of the upcoming draft to find a mature aged defender, as well as adding more skilled youth to our squad.
Lets get back to more positive posts, and show confidence in those in power to make decisions necessary to keep this great Club of ours a feared member of this competition.
Oh and BTW, nice post beartalbot :)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It's funny how the OP has to insult as part of making his point

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Easy to bag supporters but its hard to stay positive when the general consensus amongst those in charge is that of disappointment over missing out on Brown.

Truth is we wanted Hickey/Lee so much we were prepared to pay overs to ensure we got them. We tried to pay overs according to reports for Caddy too but Geelongs compo pick was somehow better than ours. I wouldn't be shocked if he had selected the Cats as his team but didn't make it public due to the stuff up with the Dons the year before, just a theory.

Personally I'm disappointed (due to the quality available at 12/13 and the fact that a FB was the biggest issue was have) but not all doom and gloom as I have faith in the recruiting staff and if they believe those two were worth such a high price then all for it. 25/26 are still very good picks providing a couple of sliders will get there). One thing though I dont understand the TDL signing, its a position we seem to have an abundance of, also overlooked for Mitch Morton!

Now I find it interesting that Walshe smashed Daniher at TAC level this year, considering the size of Daniher I'd say we should use one of the two picks in the 40's on him instead of Hartigan.

Strength through Loyalty
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

average trade period! we seemed to have a deal for Brown, but Hooker put the red light on that!
People on here overate Pelican, as they do to most people involved in the club.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:The word disgraceful and incompetent are two words I would use to describe some of our posters after this trade period.
Good for you...you are valuable contributor....i think

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote: People on here overate Pelican, as they do to most people involved in the club.
Was/is Ross overrated?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
clarky449 wrote: People on here overate Pelican, as they do to most people involved in the club.
Was/is Ross overrated?
I dont really listen to posters opinion on Ross. They are blinded by their hatred for him. Many people on here underate him now. But in football circles he is rated right. One of the best coaches in the league.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Was/is Ross overrated?
I dont really listen to posters opinion on Ross. They are blinded by their hatred for him. Many people on here underate him now. But in football circles he is rated right. One of the best coaches in the league.
Been a long day clarky; just havin' a lend :wink: :P

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Was/is Ross overrated?
Been a long day clarky; just havin' a lend :wink: :P
No problems Doc! Have a good night

karnak
Club Player

I reckon the TDL trade must indicate that one of the small forwards will be migrating into the midfield.

Milne - No
Schneider - No (would need to get fitter)
Milera? - possible
Saad? - possible

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

clarky449 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Was/is Ross overrated?

You should listen to posters opinions, after all, your demi-god is the reason Watters/Pelchen are having to do major repairs on our list. Personally I think Lyon, despite being an astute coach, has limitations and is a mercenary, two-faced c##t who did a double-deal so badly his own management sacked him! But I am sure you have justification for the double-dealing.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Easy to bag supporters but its hard to stay positive when the general consensus amongst those in charge is that of disappointment over missing out on Brown.

Truth is we wanted Hickey/Lee so much we were prepared to pay overs to ensure we got them. We tried to pay overs according to reports for Caddy too but Geelongs compo pick was somehow better than ours. I wouldn't be shocked if he had selected the Cats as his team but didn't make it public due to the stuff up with the Dons the year before, just a theory.

Personally I'm disappointed (due to the quality available at 12/13 and the fact that a FB was the biggest issue was have) but not all doom and gloom as I have faith in the recruiting staff and if they believe those two were worth such a high price then all for it. 25/26 are still very good picks providing a couple of sliders will get there). One thing though I dont understand the TDL signing, its a position we seem to have an abundance of, also overlooked for Mitch Morton!

Now I find it interesting that Walshe smashed Daniher at TAC level this year, considering the size of Daniher I'd say we should use one of the two picks in the 40's on him instead of Hartigan.
tend to agree re TDL - funnily enough Cripps didn't so much have a concrete position with us due to the likes of Dunell, Saad, Milera, Siposs, Milne, Newnes etc...

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We gave up two first round selections for 10 games AFL experience

Hilarious.

How many games of AFL experience would we have got from a draftee if we had have kept those two pick?

Most incredibly banal comment made on this thread, and that is saying something.

As for the FB. Thank God we didn't get Brown.

Offerring 25 and 26 to Geelong for 16 and then 16 and Cripps for Brown was absolute desperation and would have been embarrassing.

Would have been a D- for recruiting considering the fair to good trades we had done with Hickey and Lee.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SMS
Club Player

You obviously havent watched tom lee in action.
Gun. Only reason he isnt a star he needed to grow up. He has and now we get the rewards.

Hickey is a 201cm olympic endurance athlete.

Denis lane? Well worh a punt.

And btw we will get mitch brown next year and for nothing.

2014 looking good, very good.

Simpkin Brown Gilbert
Dempster Fisher Gwilt
Andreoli. Steven. Milera
Montagna. Lee. Curren
Saad. Reiwoldt. Schnieder

Hickey. Armitage. Dal Santo

McEvoy. Newnes. Siposs Sub: Hayes

2013 we will get rid of some more dead wood, watters plan will be tweaked and improved to a winning formula.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lyon and Co got us to two GF's with a game plan that made the most of team-play, and a committed work-rate (Swans this year) that masked that a big chunk of the list had significant flaws. AFL evolves and other clubs learnt how to expose those flaws. The evolving of the game and tactics, is one of the beauties of the game.

Pelchen was brought in to rebuild the list OVER TIME...and I have little doubt that this was always meant to over a 3-4 year period.

With this individual year, if you rate the trades individually then yes I would agree that it is probably only a C. Free-agency with BJ doomed us to getting unders for him as Free-agency is not about fairly compensating clubs.

But step back.....and have a broader look:

* Over the club has acquired more young, and youngish players for what was an age top heavy list. Not all have been kids, but they have still be relatively young. That is not such bad thing anyway as most kids will not play that much AFL senior football in their first year or two anyway

* That we have obtained more players with pace....to a list that that deficient in pace

* That we have obtained more players with good foot-skills....to a list that that deficient in footskills (though BJ is a big loss there)

* Structurally we now have now have a lot more height, with two genuine No 1 rucks and arguably a third in Stanley given the new ruck rules.

The one real glaring omission is a big defender...but the draft period has not occurred. In addition I personally believe that the club is being restructured and that those driving the ship do not expect that to take only two years.

So yes with Brown the club was willing to pay "overs"....but not ridiculously so.

Will it all happen in 2013? Probably not..though there is a chance.

Do I see a better medium term future than two years back = yes I do.

A lot of course is going to depend on how many of the young crop of Stanley, Lee, Siposs, Newnes, Ross, Saad, etc "make-it".

Further comparing to the model of just sitting back and drafting kids, I believe that the club has achieved "overs" over the last 2 periods (with the second not finished yet). Also remember that with trading that extra picks have been achieved as part of the process , and in effect this has allowed the restructuring process to be accelerated.

So no FB yet = X
Everything else = Big Tick
Overall= Big Tick

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Simmo2 wrote:
Ralphy wrote:wow someone is angry seems like they just joined today after the trade system...
think we did pretty well for ourselves
and will continue that fashion in the draft
Remember there is still good players available at our picks - there for we will get a backmen that we need.... somewhere..
Pretty sure it says I joined a while back....

This is what annoys me about this club. Everyone lives in a pathetic little dream world.

It's days like this I wish I followed Geelong. Even Melbourne have showed us how to do it this trade season. We're a disgrace.
You absolute clown-shoes, Melbourne's trading has been abysmal.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon a C rating for our drafting is about right. A pass. Losing BJ was obviously the bad part but lets face it paying the money and the years he wanted would have been a fail. People who say ridiculous things like a pathetic trade period or the other way a great trade period are goig overboard.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
BigMart wrote:We gave up two first round selections for 10 games AFL experience

Hilarious.

How many games of AFL experience would we have got from a draftee if we had have kept those two pick?

Most incredibly banal comment made on this thread, and that is saying something.

As for the FB. Thank God we didn't get Brown.

Offerring 25 and 26 to Geelong for 16 and then 16 and Cripps for Brown was absolute desperation and would have been embarrassing.

Would have been a D- for recruiting considering the fair to good trades we had done with Hickey and Lee.
Using 16, and Cripps, for Brown couldn't be worse than what we used for Cripps, Lovett or Lynch. Throw in Winmar as well. Probably a few more "embarrassing" picks as well in the past decade that haven't popped into my head in 5 seconds like these four did. We needed a full back.

plugger66 wrote:I reckon a C rating for our drafting is about right. A pass. Losing BJ was obviously the bad part but lets face it paying the money and the years he wanted would have been a fail. People who say ridiculous things like a pathetic trade period or the other way a great trade period are goig overboard.
I hope we will do better than a C with our drafting. How do you know how we will go out of interest? I wont mind as long as they all have photos...

Strength through Loyalty
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I reckon a C rating for our drafting is about right. A pass. Losing BJ was obviously the bad part but lets face it paying the money and the years he wanted would have been a fail. People who say ridiculous things like a pathetic trade period or the other way a great trade period are goig overboard.
I hope we will do better than a C with our drafting. How do you know how we will go out of interest? I wont mind as long as they all have photos...

I wouldnt have a clue how they will go. Just based on what we paid and what they have done so far. If we have to wait to what they have done this thread shouldnt exist until 2016 because we also have to wait for the draft period.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Some of you clowns in this thread should be joining Mick Foley (WWE Fame) doing some standup routines.
Hilarious stuff.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
We should trade some posters tobthe filth forum
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!