Draft strategy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Draft strategy

will the strategy be to pick purely best available talent or will they specifically look to fill a need eg best available KPD ?

I thought I read somewhere that the Pelican had a strategy at the hawks that all players had to be a minimum height. Wonmder if we will also go in with some kind of strategy like this eg must have scored a certain score at draft camp such kicking accuracy, or speed, or a minimum height, etc

What i would like to know is
> who sets the strategy ?
> who makes the recommendations
> who makes the final decision ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Quixote
SS Life Member

Jimmy O'Dea wrote:We are going to recruit a very good player at either 41 or 44. I am glad he is not in the so called top 30 above. Will be a better player than who we select at 25/26. There is only one other club onto him.

What position does he play?

What part of WA is he from?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
howlinwolf
Club Player

Hartigan looks like a likely prospect and suits our needs.

The trouble may be that Geelong have selection no. 16 and have been considering him for a while now. I would think they will be keen as his development may coincide with Rivers retirement.
Hartigan is also a long time Geelong fan.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Hartigan looks like a likely prospect and suits our needs.

The trouble may be that Geelong have selection no. 16 and have been considering him for a while now. I would think they will be keen as his development may coincide with Rivers retirement.

I would be in complete shock if Hartigan went anywhere near 16. If we got him pick 44 may even be early.

howlinwolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I would be in complete shock if Hartigan went anywhere near 16. If we got him pick 44 may even be early.
I hope you're right there Plugger.
He does seem to fit their needs though as he does ours. Maybe they might take our way of thinking and pay a high price for a need.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Totally agree re: Hartigan- there's lots of love for him but I'm not sure he would be able to slot straight in & be the mature aged FB some are painting him as.

Hartigan has 2cm on Gillies but Gillies has been in a better program, is physically stronger & has been mentored by the best fullback of the last 5 years (Max was before that!)

Joel Tippett looks an option but from some reports is as soft as Tommy Simpkin is hard.

I think we're now seeing why the club went so hard at Brown & was offering massive overs for him.

In 12 months time I think they'll have a massive go at Frawley or possibly Jackson Trengrove, who I believe is out of contract.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Yeah if someone gets Hartigan - It will be a late pick. No way 16.
Prefer Noonan with a late pick.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Geelong have pick 16 and then nothing till 79.... I cant imagine they will take Hartigan at 16. Just wont happen. They may hope he gets to 79...
I really can see us getting him at 44..... At least, a mature age FB at 44...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Yeah if someone gets Hartigan - It will be a late pick. No way 16.

Still waiting for you to give a rundown of his style and what those 2cm over an AFL type like Simpkin will do.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Yeah if someone gets Hartigan - It will be a late pick. No way 16.

Still waiting for you to give a rundown of his style and what those 2cm over an AFL type like Simpkin will do.
What are you talking about plugger. I want him and Simpkin not instead of.
Noonan is a good spoiler with long arms..His style is tall athletic defender. Weakness has been seen as strength. Style similar to Ferguson but a year more advanced and playes deeper in defence and known for his spoiling. Seen as long term replacement for Fisher but a little taller while I see Ferg as long term replacement for Gilbert.
193cm is taller than 191 last time I looked.
And yes id prefer a champion 196cm defender like Daniel Talia to walk in our doors. But that probably aint going to happen. So wouldnt hurt us taking a punt on Noonan late in the draft. He is a good footy player and athletic enough to make it at AFL level. 2 years of an AFL strength program will help him.
Oh I forgot that you dont believe in weights or strength training plugger. You just think people are born strong.
Maybe next time you are hanging out with the lads you can ask Geary, Gwilt and Dempster if they believe weights training and improved strength training has helped their footy improve or whether its a meaningless waste of time (which you seem to think).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What are you talking about plugger. I want him and Simpkin not instead of.
Noonan is a good spoiler with long arms..His style is tall athletic defender. Weakness has been seen as strength. Style similar to Ferguson but a year more advanced and playes deeper in defence and known for his spoiling. Seen as long term replacement for Fisher but a little taller while I see Ferg as long term replacement for Gilbert.
193cm is taller than 191 last time I looked.
And yes id prefer a champion 196cm defender like Daniel Talia to walk in our doors. But that probably aint going to happen. So wouldnt hurt us taking a punt on Noonan late in the draft. He is a good footy player and athletic enough to make it at AFL level. 2 years of an AFL strength program will help him.
Oh I forgot that you dont believe in weights or strength training plugger. You just think people are born strong.
Maybe next time you are hanging out with the lads you can ask Geary, Gwilt and Dempster if they believe weights training and improved strength training has helped their footy improve or whether its a meaningless waste of time (which you seem to think).

Con i think you have me confused with someone else regarding weight training. I just said it is very hard to change a body shape in a year or two and some never will. I think you may have said Rooy should get bigger and play as a monster. Sorry but that just wont happen unless he took steriods. 2cm isnt helping us who need a big FB. My point is we dont need Noonan because he is only 193. Simpkin is better and can do as well as Noonan at 191. Con you get a fix on a player without knowing a thing about them. I just wanted to know why you think Hartigan and Noonan can do a better job than Simpkin.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Whoever we get they'll be a "gun slider" who had a quiet carnival but someone once said at their best they are worth a number 1 pick

Ditto at all clubs btw

Can't believe we have no FB....but TDL???
Last edited by Teflon on Mon 29 Oct 2012 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Why do they have to do a better job than Simpkin? Simpkin took 4 years to develop and now you want Simpkin to play in every position.
My point is Fisher is nearing the end. Dempster is no spring chicken and given it takes 2-3 years to develop a key defender - Noonan looks as likely as anyone else out there in footy-land. 193cm is tall enough if you are good enough.

My point is we can try developing a Noonan or we can wait around for the perfect player (Daniel Talia) to stroll in or do a trade for a contracted player like Brown - who isnt even that good and throw good picks and money at. My point is - get the best youngster out there with half a chance and develop them. Rather than hold out for some fantasy tall defender messiah who doesnt exist and if he does we aint gonna get. Noonan may not be a messiah - but hes a reasonable option playing good footy at a high level against grown men. At least we can say Noonan is ahead of a TAC cup kid as he as good VFL form as a key defender in a good side (Port).

Whats more - will come super cheap.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... nID=215831
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 29 Oct 2012 3:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
Jimmy O'Dea wrote:We are going to recruit a very good player at either 41 or 44. I am glad he is not in the so called top 30 above. Will be a better player than who we select at 25/26. There is only one other club onto him.

What position does he play?

What part of WA is he from?
Jebediah Lockett I'm hearing - illegitimate son of Tony's and Billie Jean Kings..... goes like the clappa's apparently but ugly as sin...

“Yeah….nah””
lloyd21
Club Player

Would like to go with Rodda myself with mid forties

Think also this years draft most clubs will go for Mids again... early

Because the bigger guys will take time ...we already have Ross.Markworth Newnes Ledger
if they are smart & think they are will pick all talls then next year target the Kids from Gws/ Gold Coast who will be getting homesick with $ $ $ saved from Goddard ..Riewoldt

PJ
SS Life Member

lloyd21 wrote:Would like to go with Rodda myself with mid forties

Think also this years draft most clubs will go for Mids again... early

Because the bigger guys will take time ...we already have Ross.Markworth Newnes Ledger
if they are smart & think they are will pick all talls then next year target the Kids from Gws/ Gold Coast who will be getting homesick with $ $ $ saved from Goddard ..Riewoldt
Ditto with , FB ready to go.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Scoop
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
defacto wrote:2 words adam cockie. make it happen saints!!!!

i think we've seen the last of clarke, jones and winmar
I agree re: your delistings... At least we have some room to eat the cost of the contracts of Winmar & Jonesy... If the rookie list wasn't being cut back then dropping Winmar back to the RL would at least minimise the lost $. I'd like to be able to draft 4 kids & possibly upgrade Dunell with pick 70 odd.

As with many others I'm hoping that Clurey is one of the tall kids that slides & is available at 24.

James Stewart is an interesting one, 197cm rake thin but excellent disposal & ground level skills. Struggled at times as a forward but when he played key defence looked really good. The filth could have taken him as father son but decided against it. Could be a nice development project at pick 44.

My dream draft-

12- Tom Lee (195cm fwd)
13- Tom Hickey (201cm ruck)
25- Tom Clurey (194cm def)
26- Josh Simpson (183cm mid)
41- Matthew Haynes (189cm mid/fwd)
44- James Stewart (197cm fwd)
77- Tom Gillies (192cm def) or rookie list
95- Sam Dunell (rookie upgrade)

I can't see Menzel or Garlett getting through to our picks but if they do we should snap either up.
Looks very good - Animal Enclosure! I also agree with the delistings - they all have to go!

I think I would replace Gillies with a larger proven Full Back like Joel TIPPETT or Kyal HARTIGAN and at #44 I would consider Harley WALSHE (197cm) full back who beat all the best forwards in the TAC this year. Stewart is very light and is a similiar type to Lever I dont think we need two long term options like those two.
I like Stewart and Walshe...Depending on what we do at 25/26....would look at one of those in the 40s....

BTW, Garlett will be picked up by the filth.....also a lot of the knocks on him re character ar bulltish....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
karnak
Club Player

with a ridiculous amount of concentration, discipline and focus it's easy to change a body in 1 or 2 years.

Possible add a stack of lean muscle over the course of 1 to 2 years (10-20kg of pure lean muscle, changes body type signficantly on anyone)!

once you've built the muscle then only takes 2-3 months to shed the extra fat.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Scoop
Club Player

karnak wrote:with a ridiculous amount of concentration, discipline and focus it's easy to change a body in 1 or 2 years.

Possible add a stack of lean muscle over the course of 1 to 2 years (10-20kg of pure lean muscle, changes body type signficantly on anyone)!

once you've built the muscle then only takes 2-3 months to shed the extra fat.
Obviously I haven't quite worked out the shedding fat part.... :(

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
evo
Club Player

If the selectors looked at T Lee's highlights video I doubt they would look at Hartigan, he dominated Werribee's b/line, voted BOG

SuperDuper
Club Player

The reports on Hartigan are that he does not get beaten one on one .. but can get done on the lead.... that is how Tommy L did him... so... can he play on gorillas? Cloke, resting ruckmen, Brown, Hawkins.... guys who dont rely on their pace and their leads? That is what the recruiter sill be weighing up I guess... is there a match up for him most weeks?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Now that Jason Gram is gone we have an obvious need to draft Nick Graham.

Don't worry, he can play too.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Nick Graham will be gone before it's our turn. Big concern for me is that we draft one of the two TAC Cup mids that are too slow but will probably go in top 30. Our recruiters need to be all over this.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

#1GILL wrote:Now that Jason Gram is gone we have an obvious need to draft Nick Graham.

Don't worry, he can play too.
That type of hair cut works when you are 18. Not when approaching 30.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I really rate Colquhoun - he is a backman but a rebounder and just keeps racking up possessions with out looking like he's trying. He reminds me of Sam Fisher because he looks laid back but just seems to keep going at the ball over and over. I can see him hitting the midfield and tearing it up in a few years he sort of has that Andrew Swallow look and something similar there in his game. With Gram gone he might be a handy player in a few years, he might even be able to do a Dyson Heppel and play pretty early off a back wing as he's a fairly solid kid.