shifter sheahans top 30 prospects for the afl draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

shifter sheahans top 30 prospects for the afl draft

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

i am actually lookin forward to see who we pick up. every year i hear people post on here get a quick mid.... and all that if you look at our list u will see that our key positions stocks are very low for players under 23 so i think we should use our first two picks on to key position players one for either end. because in the next 2-3 years we will need to replace fisher and roo and it takes 3-4 years for a key postion player to develop and i thinks we need to plan for the future a little bit. we realisticly need a CHF and CHB with big tanks so looking at shifters top 30 there are plenty of players to look at and there a couple more that arent in there who are pretty handy also

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: shifter sheahans top 30 prospects for the afl draft

Todays Herald Sun has us linked to Mason Wood (I think it was Wood). He is the only player I have actually seen us linked to. Looks like a very promising prospect. Who knows though really if you read the top 100 kids profiles they all look like future superstars!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

St Ick wrote:Todays Herald Sun has us linked to Mason Wood (I think it was Wood). He is the only player I have actually seen us linked to. Looks like a very promising prospect. Who knows though really if you read the top 100 kids profiles they all look like future superstars!
agreed - they all look like champions
what stood out for me with wood - he's cut like a grey hound, looks very fit and as he says in order to get games he a had to play smart, develop a big tank, and work hard. That to me says everything, you get the gifted junior kids that hit the big time and stall, the giants that have an early advantage & then hit the afl size oppononents and stall. He sounds like a quality kid, and then there was that special element,
he has 'x" factor

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still love this guy he averages over 28 disposals from a back pocket and kicks well and has natural footy ability. Sam Colquhoun

mayes is the only def we have talked to that I've heard about though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Alright have a new favourite Tony Lockyer, he's from Ballarat, he plays in number 7 and looks like Lenny from behind in his black home gurnsey, sidesteps like Harves and when you say his name drunk it sounds exactly like Tony Lockett. It's fate -come to us young fella.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I still love this guy he averages over 28 disposals from a back pocket and kicks well and has natural footy ability. Sam Colquhoun

I'm a big fan of Sam also, especially considering he is almost a year younger than the top prospects. I'd say Mayes would have even been gone when we had picks 12 & 13.

Would there be interest in Taylor Hine? I guess Curren coming on well means probably no thanks.

Strength through Loyalty
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
gringo wrote:I still love this guy he averages over 28 disposals from a back pocket and kicks well and has natural footy ability. Sam Colquhoun

I'm a big fan of Sam also, especially considering he is almost a year younger than the top prospects. I'd say Mayes would have even been gone when we had picks 12 & 13.

Would there be interest in Taylor Hine? I guess Curren coming on well means probably no thanks.

Yeah Mayes will be long gone and should go top 12 - I just heard they had interviewed him. There is a kid that looks a good long term Joey replacement. he will be probably the 3rd or 4th best mid in a team with no real tricks but great competitor and user of the ball. He should be a second rounder and will fly under some radars his name is Ashby - he can play and has great touch.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Meh… predicting the future is easy, I'm more interested in bigmarts top 20 from 2008.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If you guys eventually mention ALL the draft prospects then no matter who we draft you'll be right..... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:If you guys eventually mention ALL the draft prospects then no matter who we draft you'll be right..... :roll:

i only have about 6 guys that are favourites and not all obvious ones. Jaksch, Rodda, Colquhoun, Clurey, Ashby, Irra. Only Clurey and Jaksche will probably be gone by our first pick and the rest are all player that are available and fit needs.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:If you guys eventually mention ALL the draft prospects then no matter who we draft you'll be right..... :roll:
I'm systematically working my way through every player so that I can quote the comment when its all said and done. :wink:

Perfect world, Clurey will last til 25 and Colquhoun will be there too. But I don't like my chances of getting it right, especially with everyone saying they can throw a blanket over 5-25, its impossible to predict who will be available. If noone we want is there then Jacobs it is.

Oh, and for the record I'm thinking 41 & 44 will go on Wood, Haynes, Graham, Hartigan, Frost, Gillies or Tippett, passing on 77 for a PSD selection. Pfft, and the lotto numbers next week are, 11, 17, 35, 5, 42, 23.

Heres my uneducated take on the ones I mentioned:
Clurey - endurance machine, replacement for one of our aging taller backs in a couple
Colquhoun - perfect Gram or Joey replacement, good skills and knows how to read the play, is very young with lots of upside.
Jacobs- readymade and has played a fair bit of footy for a kid. Needs to sort out his attitude but he will be a very good player and a clear upgrade on Grammy for next season.
- Wood - there is something about being compared to Roo that really gets you excited. Plays more like a winger I believe but if he grows a couple more cms we could have a very good succession plan for when Roo et al retire.
Graham/Haynes- not sure why I just think they'll be good players with good skills, I don't read lots of negatives about these kids and this is probably the end of their 'range'.

Hartigan/Frost/Gillies/Tippett - just that mature player that we will go for. We may get two of these guys and use pick 77, have no idea why I said we'll pass on them. I would like Gillies especially as a replacement for Blake or Fisher - I doubt we'll get him though as we wouldn't have retained Blakey if we wanted him. I don't think we should load up on talls, I'd take just one mature ager, give him one year and if he doesn't work out then go hard for either Frawley or Brown next year. I jus

Edit: forgot about Walshe & Smith. Personally am not a fan of Smith, one trick pony. Walshe I would happily take @ 44 as a project key back if our first two picks are on smaller types like Jacobs and Colquhoun. This is all assuming other such as Hrovat, Menzel etc are gawners. This edited idea would push the blokes I had at 44 back to 77.

Strength through Loyalty
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Walshe and Clury sound goodto me. For the midfield I would have liked us to have picked up Jed Anderson. Hawthorn got him far too cheaply.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Tom Clurey, Kristian Jaksch and Lachlan Plowman won't last to our pick and Tanner Smith and Liam McBean look like spuds. Kamdyn McInosh and Aiden Corr look the goods as far as key defenders go. Big Boy Rodda worth a look for a late pick / rookie selection. A bit of Archer about him tho.

Scoop
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Walshe and Clury sound goodto me. For the midfield I would have liked us to have picked up Jed Anderson. Hawthorn got him far too cheaply.
Spot on....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be surprised after looking over our list if we don't get Scott Clouston in. he's big and is a true CHF- 50 goals this year from there. Lee could be FF and SC CHF and get a serious goal line going for the future. He would probably only cost a late pick and Kyle Martin would probably be in our preferred age bracket- we still have a distinct lack of players between 22 and 26.

guys like Clouston and Haratuku will come cheap with late picks and could add some depth now.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

St Ick wrote:... But I don't like my chances of getting it right, especially with everyone saying they can throw a blanket over 5-25, its impossible to predict who will be available...
A few seem to assess things this way Ick. I tend to agree. As I posted on another thread, and this is purely based on so many top ranked blokes being way, way too light for their height... as in, I wonder if they can ever bulk-up enough to really mix it with the men? FWIW, I include the supposedly solidly built Viney in that. Given the Dreamon's 'nous' in the use of top draft picks... you have to worry for him... :twisted:

Should the 'blanket over the top' assessment pan out to be even reasonably on the mark, then that will really make our moves on Lee and Hickey look very astute. Time will tell, eh...?
St Ick wrote:...Hartigan/Frost/Gillies/Tippett - just that mature player that we will go for... I'd take just one mature ager, give him one year and if he doesn't work out then go hard for either Frawley or Brown next year...
I can't comment on Frost, but query Hartigan if he's the guy that Lee towelled up... maybe that's a bit harsh? Is Gillies the bloke at Geelong? If so, not too sure about him? Tippett? A definite no! Heard an interview with the SA under 18's state coach. He assessed Tippet as being worth a pick up, but then tellingly (for me anyway) added that he saw Tippett as being the third defender type. That bloke should know, and we do not need another 'third defender type' IMHO.
St Ick wrote:...Walshe I would happily take @ 44 as a project key back if our first two picks are on smaller types like Jacobs and Colquhoun...
Fair bit of love on here for Colquhoun from his family. :wink: So much so that I actually looked him up (as c/f the other blokes named :lol: ). Yep, hightly rated ball magnet, except, seems the ball is given to him. Outside player with the ol' good run and carry. If so, then AFAIC... no way... never recruit anyone who can't go and get his own footy!...

Again, if in doubt, look at what happened with the Dawk's famed run n' carry players in the white-hot heat of man-on-man contested footy in the last GF... again, from me the mantra is... no receivers!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
St Ick wrote:... But I don't like my chances of getting it right, especially with everyone saying they can throw a blanket over 5-25, its impossible to predict who will be available...
A few seem to assess things this way Ick. I tend to agree. As I posted on another thread, and this is purely based on so many top ranked blokes being way, way too light for their height... as in, I wonder if they can ever bulk-up enough to really mix it with the men? FWIW, I include the supposedly solidly built Viney in that. Given the Dreamon's 'nous' in the use of top draft picks... you have to worry for him... :twisted:

Should the 'blanket over the top' assessment pan out to be even reasonably on the mark, then that will really make our moves on Lee and Hickey look very astute. Time will tell, eh...?
St Ick wrote:...Hartigan/Frost/Gillies/Tippett - just that mature player that we will go for... I'd take just one mature ager, give him one year and if he doesn't work out then go hard for either Frawley or Brown next year...
I can't comment on Frost, but query Hartigan if he's the guy that Lee towelled up... maybe that's a bit harsh? Is Gillies the bloke at Geelong? If so, not too sure about him? Tippett? A definite no! Heard an interview with the SA under 18's state coach. He assessed Tippet as being worth a pick up, but then tellingly (for me anyway) added that he saw Tippett as being the third defender type. That bloke should know, and we do not need another 'third defender type' IMHO.
St Ick wrote:...Walshe I would happily take @ 44 as a project key back if our first two picks are on smaller types like Jacobs and Colquhoun...
Fair bit of love on here for Colquhoun from his family. :wink: So much so that I actually looked him up (as c/f the other blokes named :lol: ). Yep, hightly rated ball magnet, except, seems the ball is given to him. Outside player with the ol' good run and carry. If so, then AFAIC... no way... never recruit anyone who can't go and get his own footy!...

Again, if in doubt, look at what happened with the Dawk's famed run n' carry players in the white-hot heat of man-on-man contested footy in the last GF... again, from me the mantra is... no receivers!

Colquhoun is averaging 28 disposals, if he can get an average 28 receives a game he is a very astute player as he must read where the ball is going every time it is coming out. Just because they play as an outside mid doesn't mean they don't have the ability to play contested footy. Gary Ablett can and has played outside footy but can get it himself too. I rate guys who can play footy, if a kid of his age can know how to get the footy it shows me he has some talent. He was used like a Gram where his role was to receive and move the ball in transition.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Tim Membrey has got a really s*** tattoo. What possessed him to do that?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

magnifisaint wrote:Tim Membrey has got a really s*** tattoo. What possessed him to do that?
Who knowas. I remember being in the chair at a tattoo parlour getting one of mine done and some kid came in to inquire about getting a tattoo done. Most tattoo parlours are pretty small so I heard the entire conversation.

He told the tattooist he wanted "a barcode and something like, f*** the economy written under it". After he left I told the guy the price he had quoted sounded pretty high to me, and he said "yeah but the d**khead will go and get a cheaper price somewhere else and bother some other poor bastard with his stupid s***, you should here some of the crap people come in here asking to get done".

A lot of these guys are real artists, and like doing things that challenge them and have some sort of creative, original, artistic merit. Then there's guys like TIm Membrey.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

My draft wish list -

Sel 25#
Tanner SMITH - Full Back - KPP
It has been wirtten that he is not an attacking style defender but he looked terrific in the clips I have seen.

Sel #26
Tim Broomhead - Midfielder
He is exactly the midfielder we require - collects huge possession numbers, has excellent skills both sides, break away speed and a goal kicker. Is a ripper we would be crazy to over look him!

Sel #41
Tom Temay - Midfielder
Is more a midfielder than small defender and is a much more competent player than has been reported, a great get at 41.

Sel #44
Joel TIPPET - Full Back
The ready made full back we require - hopefully no other club grabs him before now!

Sel #77
Harley WALSHE - Key Defender
Big strong kid who plays with some attitude - could develop into something special.

Rookie Position
- Available young ruckmen...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Will Broomhead play a sweeping role across half back?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Will Broomhead play a sweeping role across half back?
I'll be bristling with excitement if we grab him.

shmic_s
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Will Broomhead play a sweeping role across half back?
I'll be bristling with excitement if we grab him.
He might help us out sweeping the off-field issues under the carpet.

Megamaguire
Club Player

"Old Mate" said above... 'Kamdyn McInosh and Aiden Corr look the goods :) as far as key defenders go. Big Boy Rodda worth a look for a late pick / rookie selection. A bit of Archer about him tho.[/quote]

Aiden Corr(194cm 83kegs)sounded interesting when i read his comments reg:his own game on the Shifters' top 30.
Sounds like he just loves spoiling and being a presence in the backline. I wondered (but have no way of knowing of coarse) if he's the type of scrooge backman that simply loves the craft of defending that bit more than his peer draftees?
Must google Kamdyn McIntosh - don't know squat about him either.

Any one else have any thoughts on Aiden?

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

there was a short write up on Kamdyn Mcintosh mid year about him being one of 9 kids in his family and his mum and dad both work fifo so he and his sister spend big chunks of the year looking after the rest of the kids .. he has got a good head on his shoulders and from what i remember in the story he was the kind of kid who works hard to put others first not the kind to go out hitting the turps with his mates on the weekends but the kind to work two jobs to help support the family ... im sure you could google the story as it was in the West Australian newspaper

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/