Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

I woke up one morning to find Rod Owen asleep on my couch.

Early 90's
organised for Plugger to do an appearance at a hospital fundraiser.
Don't know which was more embarassing
Publicity with Tony's surname spelt wrong,
or his inability to attend due to last minute complication with litter of greyhounds being whelped!!!

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Moorabbin. Winmar to Lockett. Enough said!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think it was 1984 at Moorabbin and we were getting our routine 100 + points thrashing from the then very mighty hawks. It was pissing down in the last quarter, we were twenty goals down and the terraces were empty. The hawks scored a point and as Steven Pirrie prepared to kick in, I turned to John Silvester and a very young Steven Quartermaine (both mad hawk supporters who'd been giving me crap all day) and told them what a great prospect pirrie was. Well, Pirrie proceeded to kick in, planting the ball straight onto Leigh Matthews chest as he stood on the mark. The arrogant bastard didn't even have the grace to just pop the ball back over Pirrie's head for a goal. He ran straight at Pirrie, baulked, causing Pirrie to slip over and land flat on his back. Matthews just walked in and slammed it out of the ground. We all fell about laughing and Silvester has reminded me of it ever since, whenever I offer an opinion on a player's potential. For me, that incident summed up following the saints in the 80's.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
PaytonPlace
Club Player

Weirdest day I ever had for a hundred reasons was Sirengate. Among the highlights - bloke behind me in a Fremantle jumper at EVERY opportunity yelling "You're an enigma Milne! AN ENIGMA!" and then it becoming a chant like "Eni--ggggg-maaaaa", a local Tasmanian in a Brisbane Lions shirt saying "St Kilda are being caught on the second phase pick up every time! And quite rightly too!", a wheelchair boy being wheeled around the boundary line getting a crowd wide chant of "Timmy!", and then seeing an incredibly pissed former player sitting outside the ground, talking on his phone about "no one understood him! NO ONE!"...

It was truly the weirdest day ever...even before the sirengate...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dont know about weirdest day, but weirdest Guy was a guy who used to sit in stkilda members part on outer wing at waverley. He had a bald head and always wore his sleeveless jumper no matter how cold. He was so funny and everyone was always glad to see him. Once we played brisbane and he brought an alarm clock to wake up Alistair lynch who was suffering from chronic fatigue. Last I heard he rode his bike to Darwin for something to do. Never saw him again when we moved to the docklands. He was weird, but I loved him

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Dont know about weirdest day, but weirdest Guy was a guy who used to sit in stkilda members part on outer wing at waverley. He had a bald head and always wore his sleeveless jumper no matter how cold. He was so funny and everyone was always glad to see him. Once we played brisbane and he brought an alarm clock to wake up Alistair lynch who was suffering from chronic fatigue. Last I heard he rode his bike to Darwin for something to do. Never saw him again when we moved to the docklands. He was weird, but I loved him
I remember him too, mullet. We used to call him, "the mad sainter". I once saw him at a practice match against the filth at Vic park in 1995. He went berserk after a Winmar goal got us over the line. He did a series of standing somersaults ( at least 6 in a row) before inviting any filth supporters in the vicinity to take him on. Apart from his insane bravery, as we were hopelessly outnumbered, what impressed me most was his athleticism. I also kept reminding myself it was only a practice match!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PaytonPlace wrote:Weirdest day I ever had for a hundred reasons was Sirengate. Among the highlights - bloke behind me in a Fremantle jumper at EVERY opportunity yelling "You're an enigma Milne! AN ENIGMA!" and then it becoming a chant like "Eni--ggggg-maaaaa", a local Tasmanian in a Brisbane Lions shirt saying "St Kilda are being caught on the second phase pick up every time! And quite rightly too!", a wheelchair boy being wheeled around the boundary line getting a crowd wide chant of "Timmy!", and then seeing an incredibly pissed former player sitting outside the ground, talking on his phone about "no one understood him! NO ONE!"...

It was truly the weirdest day ever...even before the sirengate...

Ahhh Tassie, it's a special place. There are moments there where you feel like someone has slipped you some Hunter S. Thompson style intoxicants. I had a crazy old man chase us up the street in a slightly threatening manner telling me to take heed like it was important that Jimmy Webster was going to be a gun because my kid had a Saints jumper on. Listed about 10 former saints and assorted tasmanians and ranted on about jimmy. Hope he's right.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

gringo wrote:Ahhh Tassie, it's a special place. There are moments there where you feel like someone has slipped you some Hunter S. Thompson style intoxicants. I had a crazy old man chase us up the street in a slightly threatening manner telling me to take heed like it was important that Jimmy Webster was going to be a gun because my kid had a Saints jumper on. Listed about 10 former saints and assorted tasmanians and ranted on about jimmy. Hope he's right.
Hi Gringo, as long as he prefaced that with "I can honestly say...", then I'd have faith in Plugg's assessment.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintkellerm
Club Player

Not really offbeat or bizarre, but has to be that game where the Saints guys was 2 metres out from the goal and he kicked a point against Sydney at Etihad and the game ended up being a draw...he could have won the game but he didn't - how the hell did he miss...but thats the Saints for you! :?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Who was that bloke who used to have his own chant ?

"caaaaaaarrrnnnnn, tha' mighty, mighty, mighty, mighty saaaaayyyyynterrrrrrssssss…"

Used to be at Moorabbin on the wing and Waverly sometimes too… loudest voice I have ever heard, used to arc up at half time from memory?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There is a dude that gets around dressed like Beetlejuice bred with Heath Ledger as the joker who wears VB shorts and sits around near the cheersquad.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintkellerm wrote:Not really offbeat or bizarre, but has to be that game where the Saints guys was 2 metres out from the goal and he kicked a point against Sydney at Etihad and the game ended up being a draw...he could have won the game but he didn't - how the hell did he miss...but thats the Saints for you! :?
Daniel Wulf.

I liked the way he used to soccer the ball out of midair. Did it a few different times. He was an enigma.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great thread. I got some real laffs!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Rang up by kosi and being abused... long story but a stalker ex friend of mine kept saying that she was dating him had to find out the truth.... was crazy

Johnny Favier
Club Player

The most bizarre day for me was the day we played the Doggies at Waverley just after Trevor Barker died.

They released his pigeons just before the game started as a tribute - it was quite a moving experience.

Later that same afternoon during the third quarter, news started coming through on the radio about the Port Arthur massacre - half the people on our wing were glued to their radios as it all unfolded while the game went on.

We ended up winning a tight contest against the Doggies in the end, but the crowd were strangely subdued as they made their way back to the car park.

Does anyone else remember that day? It was very surreal...

Liam_G
Club Player

Johnny Favier wrote:Does anyone else remember that day? It was very surreal...
I remember the day. I wasn't at Waverley but I was at home listening to the game on the Radio. Rex Hunt stopped in the middle of the call to relay the news filtering through regarding the terrible events in Tasmania. It was surreal listening.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
saintkellerm wrote:Not really offbeat or bizarre, but has to be that game where the Saints guys was 2 metres out from the goal and he kicked a point against Sydney at Etihad and the game ended up being a draw...he could have won the game but he didn't - how the hell did he miss...but thats the Saints for you! :?
Daniel Wulf.

I liked the way he used to soccer the ball out of midair. Did it a few different times. He was an enigma.
First saints game I went to as I said

Being a blonde American girl, everyone found it most amusing I sat there waiting for overtime...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The day that Robbie Muir went berserk at Princes Park, Round 6, 1984.

He got 12 weeks eventually after being reported for threatening the central umpire, abusing a goal umpire, headbutting Bruce Doull (who played on a young Plugger) and striking Val Perovic.

A vintage performance by Mad Dog. We lost. Match report at http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... nd+6,+1984

Also the day at Moorabbin in 1980 when Essendon's Phil Carman headbutted boundary umpire Graham Carberry (for which he received 20 weeks). We won.

Also the day in 1975 when Carman (then playing for Collingwood and wearing revolutionary white boots) kicked 11 against us at Moorabbin with George Young kicking nine (I think) for us. We lost.

Also the day in 1983 that Mark Jackson kicked 10 for us against the Swans in Sydney. We lost. Jackson was sacked later in the season for disciplinary reasons, but I think the selectors might have had an eye on the young Tony Lockett to fill his role down the track.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mildurasaint wrote:Can't remember exactly what year it was, but went to a game at Waverley with my dad who was a Swans supporter. Suddenly playing for us that day were Paul Morwood and Silvio Foschini who had just transferred from the Swans to the Saints mid season through some loophole we found or something.
I was there. 1983, Round 4 v Geelong at Waverley. Also notable for being Tony Lockett's first game. He had three kicks for two goals. We lost by 11 points.

PLUGGER14
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:The day that Robbie Muir went berserk at Princes Park, Round 6, 1984.

He got 12 weeks eventually after being reported for threatening the central umpire, abusing a goal umpire, headbutting Bruce Doull (who played on a young Plugger) and striking Val Perovic.

A vintage performance by Mad Dog. We lost. Match report at http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... nd+6,+1984
I was playing little league for the Saints that day.

St.Roly
Club Player

One of the rare fond memories I have of Kardinia Park relates to a ressies game I was watching that featured Andrew Wills playing for Geeeee-long and our own Mick Dwyer.

The ball went out of bounds right near where I was standing on the (at that stage) sparsely filled terraces and Wills and Mick were both close to the fence. At that moment a supporter (not sure which club) yelled out "You two blokes couldn't put together a decent head of hair between you".

It was so clearly heard in the relative quiet that both players looked over and Mick gave the supporter a nod and wink of acknowledgement.

The Craw
Club Player

Saints v demons at Waverly park.. Banger playing in the ruck against Jim stynes all day.

Not Craw, CRAW!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The day at Moorabbin when Geoff Fidler whacked Mick Conlan.
I don't know who got the biggest shock, Conlan, Fidler or the crowd.

There was also a time when Greg Burns hit a player, and then immediately collapsed to the ground as opposition players ran in to even up. When the players had gone, he made a remarkable recovery, and got straight back up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:The day at Moorabbin when Geoff Fidler whacked Mick Conlan.
I don't know who got the biggest shock, Conlan, Fidler or the crowd.

what his nickname 'Kiddie' ?