AFL Press Conference About to start....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Press Conference About to start....

Watching Gillon continually repeat the words, "the AFL is aware of only one player.....one club" etc. That's the problem with those clowns. They have been "aware" of sweet FA! That's a major part of the problem. They don't appear to have a clue when it comes to establishing procedures and structures that will prevent infiltration of negative and illegal influences. I hope this is a case of them being incompetent muppets, rather than a cover up. Unfortunately, I think it might be a case of a bit of both. How would you like to be working in their media or PR "spin" unit?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Watching Gillon continually repeat the words, "the AFL is aware of only one player.....one club" etc. That's the problem with those clowns. They have been "aware" of sweet FA! That's a major part of the problem. They don't appear to have a clue when it comes to establishing procedures and structures that will prevent infiltration of negative and illegal influences. I hope this is a case of them being incompetent muppets, rather than a cover up. Unfortunately, I think it might be a case of a bit of both. How would you like to be working in their media or PR "spin" unit?
+1.

I think its bad practice to automatically earmark Gil to the top post. They should open it up to the market to get the best candidate but they won't. It's such a boys club the AFL.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

No supporter of the AFL but what the hell did you want them to say?

For a start they cleared all teams but 1 in Essendon and one other player from a different club. Out od the 17 other clubs 13 have stated the players isn't theirs.

They are hamstrung on what they can say by the ACC. There are ongoing investigations and the AFL cannot jeopardise them.

As for not believing the news from the AFL today. Well you never convince conspiracy theorists. I you believe the AFL are covering up, no amount of facts will stop that.

I just say - if you think the AFL are covering up, that means they are withholding information given to them by the ACC and WADA, or the ACC and WADA are also involved in the conspiracy to cover up of Performance Enhancing drugs in the AFL.

Oh add to that the Australian Federal Government and probably the state govt.

Isn't the conspiraqcy starting to look a bit ridiculous? Or are all of those bodies corrupt?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:No supporter of the AFL but what the hell did you want them to say?

For a start they cleared all teams but 1 in Essendon and one other player from a different club. Out od the 17 other clubs 13 have stated the players isn't theirs.

They are hamstrung on what they can say by the ACC. There are ongoing investigations and the AFL cannot jeopardise them.

As for not believing the news from the AFL today. Well you never convince conspiracy theorists. I you believe the AFL are covering up, no amount of facts will stop that.

I just say - if you think the AFL are covering up, that means they are withholding information given to them by the ACC and WADA, or the ACC and WADA are also involved in the conspiracy to cover up of Performance Enhancing drugs in the AFL.

Isn't the conspiraqcy starting to look a bit ridiculous? Or are all of those bodies corrupt?
Not conspiracy but just plain inept. The AFL hasn't got a clue what is going on has it?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Not conspiracy but just plain inept. The AFL hasn't got a clue what is going on has it?

I think it has definately got a clue.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Not conspiracy but just plain inept. The AFL hasn't got a clue what is going on has it?

Not that I necessarily believe it but what happened to we were duded in 2009 and 2010?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Watching Gillon continually repeat the words, "the AFL is aware of only one player.....one club" etc. That's the problem with those clowns. They have been "aware" of sweet FA! That's a major part of the problem. They don't appear to have a clue when it comes to establishing procedures and structures that will prevent infiltration of negative and illegal influences. I hope this is a case of them being incompetent muppets, rather than a cover up. Unfortunately, I think it might be a case of a bit of both. How would you like to be working in their media or PR "spin" unit?
Recent history has shown that proactivity (outside of their expansion drive) has not been the AFL's strongpoint - seems to me they've not set checks and measures in place sufficient enough to be up to speed (pardon the pun) with the sports drug culture, let alone ahead of the pace. As you've pointed out, they're aware of jack, despite the fact they've had testing and an 'integrity unit' in place for years, despite the fact the main protagonists have been working in the AFL system for about the same period of time. Now they've been caught with their pants down around their ankles. Their lack of prep (ineptness?) in this regard seems to be leading to a class A cover up developing...they're hamstrung in what they can say due to ACC investigations, but they're also clumsily trying to protect the brand. After all, who wants to look like the NFL!?!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Not that I necessarily believe it but what happened to we were duded in 2009 and 2010?

It was a question, was all. A conversation piece. :wink:

Lance or James??

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:No supporter of the AFL but what the hell did you want them to say?

I see your point, JB, but gee this looks bad, doesn't it? I know they may be hamstrung by the concerns and needs of the investigators, but it seems to me they are guilty of the worst possible sin. That is, not knowing what's going on right under your nose, e.g. Tanking, illicit drugs, PE drugs etc. and simply using the denial defence, which you have to admit has been their default position in the past. I think they are trying to maintain a brave face, while secretly shitting themselves that a great deal more information will come to light in due course. I've been hearing rumours from well placed sources as far back as the 80's about downright illegal activity and criminal links in certain AFL clubs. I'm sure AD fears a domino effect. That is, once someone spills the beans, others will follow and show the AFL scene is anything but squeaky clean. Watch this space!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
It was a question, was all. A conversation piece. :wink:
lol.

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:

I've been hearing rumours from well placed sources as far back as the 80's about downright illegal activity and criminal links in certain AFL clubs. I'm sure AD fears a domino effect. That is, once someone spills the beans, others will follow and show the AFL scene is anything but squeaky clean. Watch this space!
Ooooooooooooooooh getting a bit close to home there WW. Don't think you'll find they are rumours................. I had a rather intimate relationship with the investigating officer :wink: :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

I've been hearing rumours from well placed sources as far back as the 80's about downright illegal activity and criminal links in certain AFL clubs. I'm sure AD fears a domino effect. That is, once someone spills the beans, others will follow and show the AFL scene is anything but squeaky clean. Watch this space!
Ooooooooooooooooh getting a bit close to home there WW. Don't think you'll find they are rumours................. I had a rather intimate relationship with the investigating officer :wink: :wink:
I should have used the word "intelligence" rather than rumours, Loris. I'm certain that you could make some people very nervous with the things you know. There are no statute of limitations on the stuff I'm talking about. Interesting times ahead.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Didn't they initially say that two clubs were being investigated with one from interstate?

As Essendon is here in Vic, that means that the other player must be at an interstate club.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
farquhar wrote:Dank now to sue for $10m is interesting. He may as well because his name has been in all the papers and he is innocent until proven guilty. Cannot imagine him being employed in Australia again so he may as well sue.

AFL shouldnt try to bail Essendon out if they are guilty, they did employ these guys. The Essendon leadership should fall on their sword. Their next AGM will be a ripper.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his statement says he plans to sue because he did not illegal sell supplements...not sure that clears up anything, unless he plans to sue the media for saying he administered them into players while on the payroll.
Not sure how successful his litigation will be when the court is told that the company he has a part ownership of in Sydney that sells 'peptides' and other supplemental drugs has pulled all their items from sale and pulled down their websites. :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It looks to me like the AFL will do its best to cover-up any controversy, b ut in this case, with the ACC and the ASADA involved it may not be able to, and any attempt on behalf of the AFL to cover up could well blow up in their faces.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Also, what sort of ramifications will clubs like Geelong, GWS and Brisbane have IF the NRL teams found to have come forward are following sports science programs and are using peptides and other supplemental drugs that were part of a program that was put together by Danks and/or Robinson IF they are found to be culpable? The NRL investigation could have a massive impact on the AFL investigation so this issue could carry on for quite some time.......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I know they are bound by a confidentiality clause, but why make out that there is so small an issue when obviously they have no clear idea at this stage how far reaching it is. They were clearly trying to minimise the issue to try to save the brand. It is too late for that. We now all know that there are performance enhancing drug issues in the AFL and now that the initial shock at the announcement has abated, the majority of the public want to know who and want to see some action. The footy public pour a lot of money into their clubs through memberships, merchandise and sponsorship. They want to know if there club is one of the cheats and they want action against those responsible.

The NRL investigation will have a major impact on the AFL investigation and depending on the findings of whom are responsible and how, it could also mean premierships and medals taken away from clubs and players. To come out and state that we have a very small issue and sound so confident about it smacks of a coverup. I would rather have had them say we are aware of at least 2 clubs affected but there could be more depending on how the investigations and their findings pan out. They sounded definitive in their findings yesterday and that the issue was done and dusted within the AFL. This is not the case. There needs to be a little more transparency.

Fortius Quo Fidelius