Jason Blake continues - article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jason Blake continues - article

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: Jason Blake continues - article

Yes Jason Blake continues to be a great guy!
Interesting reading especially reg: Jason's close call last year dodging the necessity to have a bolt slotted into his ankle. How Jason keeps positive and keeps working so he can make himself an option if the Saints need him again is inspiring.
Always one of my favourite players - he's made an enormous contribution to the defensive wall the Saints built that took the club to two grand finals a few years ago now.
I could go on but i think we all know the significance of Jason's contribution already.

Happy that Jason gets another chance in 2013 to prolong his inspirational brand of play
and provide great experience and support for his teammates once again.

GOOD ON YOU JASON BLAKE - HAVE A FANTASTIC YEAR!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Blake is proof that hard work, dedication and the right attitude are just as important as natural ability. Talent wise he's never been in our best 22, but in every one of his 212 games he's deserved his spot. Every club needs a Jason Blake.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Good solid footballer is Blake. If he played at Collingwood he'd have been Captain in front of Maxwell. Better player with far far less fanfare and media wraps.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Laugh if you will but he was part of the most successful defensive set ups in the modern era. 2009 PA was the lowest of any team since 1965. There were only 18 games played that year and it was a wet season as well.

Blakey played 12 games last year and if he plays less than that this year the that will be a good sign as he is just a back up. I wouldn't expect any more than 7-10 games from him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Good solid footballer is Blake. If he played at Collingwood he'd have been Captain in front of Maxwell. Better player with far far less fanfare and media wraps.

Blake has been a great player for us but how can he be better than Maxwell? There is no logic to that at all. Last year maxwell came fifth in the B&F. Doubt Blake has ever finished that high. But lets argue the pies are biased towards their Captain. Independent people picked Maxwell in the AA one year. I again doubt Blake has even been close. So there you have it. Now lets get a logical reason why firstly he would be Captain which I dont understand anyway and why he is a better player than Maxwell. Logical not emotional please.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Good solid footballer is Blake. If he played at Collingwood he'd have been Captain in front of Maxwell. Better player with far far less fanfare and media wraps.

Blake has been a great player for us but how can he be better than Maxwell? There is no logic to that at all. Last year maxwell came fifth in the B&F. Doubt Blake has ever finished that high. But lets argue the pies are biased towards their Captain. Independent people picked Maxwell in the AA one year. I again doubt Blake has even been close. So there you have it. Now lets get a logical reason why firstly he would be Captain which I dont understand anyway and why he is a better player than Maxwell. Logical not emotional please.

Plays on key forwards Maxwell cannot. The End.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plays on key forwards Maxwell cannot. The End.

Im not sure that is true but even if it is does that mean Blake is better than BJ when he plays HBF or any other player who doesnt play a key back role. Anyway Blake doesnt always play key back. I think you really need to come up with something better than that. It isnt logical at all but it a little emotive.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Blake v Maxwell are even in basically every area. Blake has Maxwell well and truely covered as a one on one defender.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Blake v Maxwell are even in basically every area. Blake has Maxwell well and truely covered as a one on one defender.

They arent close to even when going by the B&F or what independant judges think. They are close to even by how you think. I will back the AA selectors and our B&F voters as well as the pies B&F voters over your opinion. You still havent given me a logical reason. It is still emotive.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Blake v Maxwell are even in basically every area. Blake has Maxwell well and truely covered as a one on one defender.

They arent close to even when going by the B&F or what independant judges think. They are close to even by how you think. I will back the AA selectors and our B&F voters as well as the pies B&F voters over your opinion. You still havent given me a logical reason. It is still emotive.

Big deal Maxwell had a season where he performed better than he has and hasnt done the same since. First time Ive ever seen a player getting AA for being the loose defender. In the same year the StKilda backline was the best since 1965 for scores against not one player made it to AA. Blake is a far better defender and if I was choosing a side I would pick him over Maxwell because of that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Big deal Maxwell had a season where he performed better than he has and hasnt done the same since. First time Ive ever seen a player getting AA for being the loose defender. In the same year the StKilda backline was the best since 1965 for scores against not one player made it to AA. Blake is a far better defender and if I was choosing a side I would pick him over Maxwell because of that.

Well that is very logical. By the way Maxwell came fifth last year and got AA in 2009 so thats two years for a start. And 2 different coaches have had him captain but it seems you have it right and the rest are wrong. It makes cents.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

What differance does it make that he's captain to his ability?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:What differance does it make that he's captain to his ability?

Because you mentioned you would have Blake over Maxwell as Captain. 2 different coaches have had Maxwell as captain and 5 different coaches have never had Blake as captain. You were the one who first mentioned it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Because you mentioned you would have Blake over Maxwell as Captain. 2 different coaches have had Maxwell as captain and 5 different coaches have never had Blake as captain. You were the one who first mentioned it.

If Maxwell was at StKilda would he have been Captain over Riewoldt. No I dont think so.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Blake's an inspiration and I reckon has been one of the most important club players over the last decade.
Can't praise him highly enough!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If Maxwell was at StKilda would he have been Captain over Riewoldt. No I dont think so.

I dont think so either. What is your point though? I also dont think Harley would have been or Mitchell or McVeigh so that is the last 6 GF winning captains.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Blake's an inspiration and I reckon has been one of the most important club players over the last decade.
Can't praise him highly enough!

He has been fantastic. He is probably a GOP but he is one of the highest order.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Every club needs a Blaky. Has always tried his guts out but hopefully someone can knock him out of the starting 22 this year. I don't mean that with any disrespect but for the sake of development we need someone to keep him out of the team.

jays
Club Player

good work blakey

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I rate Jason Blake higher than Maxwell....

Very good AFL player, played 200 honest games as a utility tall. Able to ruck, run with or play key tall he has rarely been absolutely beaten.

At best Maxwell is a drop off medium tall who marshals the defense as a loose.... Poor mans Goddard... Offensively average, not sure he can beat a man, I do remember him trying to quell Nick Reowoldt once, it was a laugh. If he was the fifth best player at Collingwood last year, I'll go hee... Not too long ago his position, was barely justified in the team... And questioned....And only for an injury to Brown and a forced reshuffle, helped him.
Overrated player

Blake
Underrated player

At his best, he would have been one of the first magnets placed on the board, don't worry about that!... And not just because he was a BP

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:Blake is proof that hard work, dedication and the right attitude are just as important as natural ability. Talent wise he's never been in our best 22, but in every one of his 212 games he's deserved his spot. Every club needs a Jason Blake.
He really shouldn't be on our list however our issues with key talls has saved him.

Yes he has been a good servant and I am certainly happy for him and his career however it should have been curtailed at least last season.

miskycat
Club Player

Geez,

What a pack of misery guts you are.

A nice post honouring one of our longest serving and dedicated players has to immediately be dragged down. Get over yourselves or PO why don't you?

SaintlySaint85
Club Player

10 billion posts, nothing but sh1t.
But for a bounce of a ball, Blakey would be the most deserving premiership player to take the field.
A big and unrecognized part of our onfriday successes the last 10 years. StKFC is a better place with him on the list.