WHY THE HELL...............

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHY THE HELL...............

GSG wrote:The Hawks got bigger because they got an extremely lucrative compensation when they were forced from Waverley. Unlike the Saints, as with the Etihad deal, got practically nothing compared to the Hawks. To give credit to the Hawks, they used the money wisely.

I don’t think the poorer clubs want charities, just an even deal. Lousy game times/no blockbusters equals no sponsors, as they want maximum exposure. ANZAC game = good revenue – share it around. Equal deals with Etihad – not just a good deal for Essendon. And why should the poorer Melbourne clubs always have to travel more than Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond? Yep we know it – it’s all about money!

There are many ways to help the poorer clubs, but as the Supremo AD just announced yesterday ….. the bigger club will always get the prime time tv spots, that’s the deal with the tv network. This is not necessarily Eddie’s work, just the AFL wanting more and more money.

Sadly, AFL has become a theatre sport.

I’ve already dropped my social club membership and this year will be the last time I have reserved seating. I’ll always be a member, just to support the club, but I can’t see myself going to too many games.

Pretty sure we got about the same compensation but how does more money give you more membership anyway? They dont flood the mrket with excess advertising.

And why wouldnt you go to games because we arent a big club? it makes no sense. That sounds more like you are pissed off with our club.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CURLY wrote: Hawthorn have two states as home bases of course there membership will be bigger. They play the most games in there home state Collingwood EVERYYEAR. No matter how s*** they are. They play at prime times EVERYYEAR no matter how s*** they are.
and we have two HOME countries
so we must be the most envied of all clubs

Seeya
vacuous space
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:and we have two HOME countries
I bet there's more Sydney support in NZ on ANZAC day.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
GSG
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
GSG wrote:.

And why wouldnt you go to games because we arent a big club? it makes no sense. That sounds more like you are pissed off with our club.

Believe me, the Hawks got a much bigger pay-out than the Saints.

I'm not pissed off with the club, more with the AFL. I grew up in Europe with a very strong soccer background. Some 18 years ago I was dragged (literally) to a footy game and I was hooked (the Saints won). I liked the idea that there was a level playing field, that it wasn't like the European soccer scene, that the players weren't the godlike creatures like the soccer stars, I could pump into Bourkie, or Lowie or Harvey etc. when shopping in Sandringham or Frankston. But these things are now slowly erroded. As Riewoldt said, we're getting more and more like the EPL.

Maybe the poorer clubs should band together and stand up to the AFL - but this won't happen.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
and there you have it in a nutshell
we can only look at the "power" clubs with envy

Seeya
vacuous space
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
and there you have it in a nutshell
we can only look at the "power" clubs with envy
Sydney would outsupport any of the 'power' clubs too.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
Believe me, the Hawks got a much bigger pay-out than the Saints.

I'm not pissed off with the club, more with the AFL. I grew up in Europe with a very strong soccer background. Some 18 years ago I was dragged (literally) to a footy game and I was hooked (the Saints won). I liked the idea that there was a level playing field, that it wasn't like the European soccer scene, that the players weren't the godlike creatures like the soccer stars, I could pump into Bourkie, or Lowie or Harvey etc. when shopping in Sandringham or Frankston. But these things are now slowly erroded. As Riewoldt said, we're getting more and more like the EPL.

Maybe the poorer clubs should band together and stand up to the AFL - but this won't happen.
this is what gets me angry about the anti-afl sentiment
everything they have done over the last 15 years or so has been about the level playing field
its just that people get miffed and twisted knickers over the method
Equalisation funds, Salary cap, the draft, ground rationalisation
love or hate the afl without these things the saints would NOT exist today
Back in grim old days of the past, i saw our club go thorugh so many 5 year plans its not funny, SOS appeals ad infinitum
people just need to understand this simple absolute fact
without the AFL and its administration, it would not be about standing up to the AFL as you put it,
we would have been kicked out of the Super League BY the power clubs long ago

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

People keep comparing the AFL to the markets- it's not the same. If the smaller clubs were companies the playing field would be considered anti competitive because some clubs have been forced to sign up to poor stadium deals, miss out on the blockbuster games and are limited access to prime time slots and free to air. If we were a corp we could force the playing field level. Telstra had to pay for the setting up of a foreign competitors infrastructure to end their monopoly when optus came in under orders from the ACCC.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I half expected Mike Fitzpatrick his big rah rah statment by turning to Eddie Everywhere and say

"If that's ok with you Mr Maguire"

It's a wonder his head doesn't block out everybody else in the room.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

ozrulestrace wrote:"If that's ok with you Mr Maguire"
Eddie didn't get what he wanted and what he's been pushing the AFL for over a decade now.

He was probably put out there on behalf of the presidents by the presidents to represent the presidents at the presser.

But, you know - conspiracy.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
well half of new zealand live at bondi or have lived there at some time...so i guess you may be on the money

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
GSG
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
GSG wrote:
Back in grim old days of the past, i saw our club go thorugh so many 5 year plans its not funny, SOS appeals ad infinitum
without the AFL and its administration, it would not be about standing up to the AFL as you put it,

You’re missing the point. 18 years ago, when I was first introduced to the game, that was shortly after the AFL was formed with a view to equalise the game and I admired them for this. The so-called cheque book clubs like Carlton and Essendon had no longer the upper hand. That is exactly what attracted me to the game. Sadly, the only way Carlton and Essendon could keep up was by cheating, but this is another story.

But now, the AFL is again favouring the rich clubs and so eroding what they were initially set out to achieve.
Nobody wants charity, just a fair go, and this is what we simply don't get at the moment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
GSG wrote:

You’re missing the point. 18 years ago, when I was first introduced to the game, that was shortly after the AFL was formed with a view to equalise the game and I admired them for this. The so-called cheque book clubs like Carlton and Essendon had no longer the upper hand. That is exactly what attracted me to the game. Sadly, the only way Carlton and Essendon could keep up was by cheating, but this is another story.

But now, the AFL is again favouring the rich clubs and so eroding what they were initially set out to achieve.
Nobody wants charity, just a fair go, and this is what we simply don't get at the moment.

I think you are failing to remember how good our draw was for getting good crowds when we were going well and we did get great crowds. The problem was we had patheitic members who joined when we were going well and dropped of now that we are on the way down. The way broadcast rights work is if you arent popular you get the bad timeslots because the TV stations paid huge money to get what they want. Same as any sport these days. You cannot blame our fixture for only having 30k members. The Hawks have built up there membership without huge help from TV.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I think you are failing to remember how good our draw was for getting good crowds when we were going well and we did get great crowds. The problem was we had patheitic members who joined when we were going well and dropped of now that we are on the way down. The way broadcast rights work is if you arent popular you get the bad timeslots because the TV stations paid huge money to get what they want. Same as any sport these days. You cannot blame our fixture for only having 30k members. The Hawks have built up there membership without huge help from TV.

A couple of things...

we got good crowds when we were going good because we were good. We could have had the worst draw in the history of the comp and still had good crowds.

I pretty sure I read recently that you only joined this year for the first time on a 3 game membership. Doesn't that make you pathetic?

North pioneered Friday night footy and through the 90s were on the TV a lot, their membership base is one of the worst in the legue.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Let's not forget that there have been plenty of incidents and alleged incidents at our club over the past 10 years or so (at regular intervals) that have really put the club on the back foot. It could take anything up to another 10 years to fully recover, and we need to fully recover so that we can go forward. If anyone needs any proof, all they need to do is sit somewhere near the opposition Cheersquad whenever we play Carlton or Collingwood !!
Last edited by Eastern on Thu 21 Mar 2013 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A couple of things...

we got good crowds when we were going good because we were good. We could have had the worst draw in the history of the comp and still had good crowds.

I pretty sure I read recently that you only joined this year for the first time on a 3 game membership. Doesn't that make you pathetic?

North pioneered Friday night footy and through the 90s were on the TV a lot, their membership base is one of the worst in the legue.

That last line proves my point. Thanks for mentioning it. The second line is as good as catching a marlin. And agree with you first line. Dont know what it means though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A couple of things...

That last line proves my point. Thanks for mentioning it. The second line is as good as catching a marlin. And agree with you first line. Dont know what it means though.
I'm not a member either. How do you think I have so much time to spend on here?? I can't be expected to post daily AND attend games. I have a life. I thought most people on here just post and watch the games on appleguts.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

A couple of things...

Not sure what your on about but you've probably been on it all day. Playing good football, or promising to play good football helps get you on TV, either that or being a club in a state outside of Victoria.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

A couple of things...

Not sure what your on about but you've probably been on it all day. Playing good football, or promising to play good football helps get you on TV, either that or being a club in a state outside of Victoria.

Thanks but what is your point? You are due to make some relevent point eventually.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks but what is your point? You are due to make some relevent point eventually.

I think we are partly in agreeance on a couple of things. Does there have to be a point? Are you stoned again?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman the existentialist..I like it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Cairnsman the existentialist..I like it.
I'm confused. What do you mean

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Just agreeing with you about the point of comments on here. I have no real point.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
The existentialists were the in crowd when the Beatles played in Hamburg prior to being famous...

They are the only exi's I know of..... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:The Hawks got bigger because they got an extremely lucrative compensation when they were forced from Waverley. Unlike the Saints, as with the Etihad deal, got practically nothing compared to the Hawks. To give credit to the Hawks, they used the money wisely.

I don’t think the poorer clubs want charities, just an even deal. Lousy game times/no blockbusters equals no sponsors, as they want maximum exposure. ANZAC game = good revenue – share it around. Equal deals with Etihad – not just a good deal for Essendon. And why should the poorer Melbourne clubs always have to travel more than Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond? Yep we know it – it’s all about money!

There are many ways to help the poorer clubs, but as the Supremo AD just announced yesterday ….. the bigger club will always get the prime time tv spots, that’s the deal with the tv network. This is not necessarily Eddie’s work, just the AFL wanting more and more money.

Sadly, AFL has become a theatre sport.

I’ve already dropped my social club membership and this year will be the last time I have reserved seating. I’ll always be a member, just to support the club, but I can’t see myself going to too many games.
Well this is a sad post. Complains about the AFL not helping the 'poorer' clubs, then states that he no longer will renew social club membership or reserved seating. Some half arsed excuse about the AFL becoming a theatre sport.... :roll: Watch them jump back on if we are top 4 after 12 games......

All supporters are fickle, some clubs including us, just can't afford our supporters to be that way.