Saintsational is dying...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saintsational is dying...

As Bigcarl said..this forum used to wipe the floor with BigFooty. Now we don't.

The rise of various Social Media is a reason overall why forum traffic may decline. But it does not explain why BF has been rising and SS is declining. So it is not just Social Media.

Many regulars here have jumped ship to BF.

Saintsational is becoming the "myspace" of the St Kilda Fan Forums. Once dominant, but now slipping into decline.

IMO if not changed soon the decline will become terminal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Obviously I am one person you are talking about but i can handle the truth.

But can you deal with the truth?

Like at AA the first step is acknowledging the problem. The second is acting upon it. Will you? If you don't then pretty soon you will be here by yourself.

No one minds an occasional relapse...as long as it is occassional!
He's right, Plugger. Consider this an intervention.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 28 Mar 2013 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints94
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:As Bigcarl said..this forum used to wipe the floor with BigFooty. Now we don't.

The rise of various Social Media is a reason overall why forum traffic may decline. But it does not explain why BF has been rising and SS is declining. So it is not just Social Media.

Many regulars here have jumped ship to BF.

Saintsational is becoming the "myspace" of the St Kilda Fan Forums. Once dominant, but now slipping into decline.

IMO if not changed soon the decline will become terminal.
+100, its sad really.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We need to open it up to readers obviously. Who here would join a forum when they cannot first evaluate it, especially of its not instant access. There's just so many other options people can turn to.
Yes it would mean more activity for the mods - so increase the numbers, and make sure they are active posters themselves.
And don't give them too much individual power. And don't promote anyone that has a poor relationship with other posters.i
I'df a troll or two appear, in the short term just foe them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We need some more big names and club insiders.
We scared off GT. We scared off Armos brother. I think we should have some kind of code of respect.
I come here to get inside gossip and that is really lacking lately.
But before we get too negative - lets see how it goes if the Saints get a few wins on the Board. No doubt people will come out of the woodwork.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Obviously I am one person you are talking about but i can handle the truth.

But can you deal with the truth?

Like at AA the first step is acknowledging the problem. The second is acting upon it. Will you? If you don't then pretty soon you will be here by yourself.

No one minds an occasional relapse...as long as it is occassional!

No I wont change at all. If people dont like it then they can leave. The way i see it is there is just as many posting as last year. I reckon it hilarious that you and MSG blame me. talk about taking things to seriously. There is an easy solution to the problems that dont really exist. Ban me, ignore me, leave the site ot put up with me.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Why do people say there is less traffic here than Saints Bigfooty board?

I count 15 threads that have had responses today on this board, compared to 8 on Bigfooty.

Having said that, we could really use some moderators and having the forum opened up for anyone to read would really help.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Why do people say there is less traffic here than Saints Bigfooty board?

I count 15 threads that have had responses today on this board, compared to 8 on Bigfooty.

Having said that, we could really use some moderators and having the forum opened up for anyone to read would really help.

Of course I will stick for myself but to blame me is absolute crap IMO. What a joke. The points you make are the main 2 reasons and then if I am a problem I will be banned. Open the forum up. Its that simple but again I say there are more posts than the same time last year so its a bit of a myth IMO.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Why do people say there is less traffic here than Saints Bigfooty board?

Of course I will stick for myself but to blame me is absolute crap IMO. What a joke. The points you make are the main 2 reasons and then if I am a problem I will be banned. Open the forum up. Its that simple but again I say there are more posts than the same time last year so its a bit of a myth IMO.
I didn't think I was writing about you.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Round 1, St Kilda v Suns preview. Big Footy. 301 posts.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Hey, just a quick contribution, take it for what it's worth, but it took me I reckon 6 months to get approved/verified/confirmed (I think I had to send a follow up e-mail) and then when I introduced myself I think someone put "Oh great! Now an American troll has signed up!" :)

Luckily, I'm made of sterner stuff, but I reckon that'd put a fair few people off if you are looking for wide appeal

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Lack of optimism and off-field topics, I reckon. And the proper season hasn't even started. There's also certainly a couple of things already mentioned that admin could do. It took me about three or four attempts and a couple of years for my SS member request to be processed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I didn't think I was writing about you.

I know but I like writing about myself.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

forums themselves are kinda dieing ... there used to be a few differant forums around that I would go to (not just footy ones) and all of them seem to be suffering the same fate .. if anything SS is prob one of the better performing ones still around in my opinion ...

as for mods - i can imagine its a pretty thankless task and you basically would cop it for over moderation or under moderation so its understandable why they dont last long ...

as for the plugger thing - after a while you get used to him and its almost to the point where you can predict exactly what he is going to say .. this is fine for people who know his deal as the self appointed master of telling people they are wrong in their opinions but imagine being a brand new poster to this site and then copping his "im smarter than you , dont be one eyed, your opinion is wrong" attitude its any wonder no one new joins or stays for long ... but he isnt alone the vendettas some posters have to other posters really bogs this page down the old "but you said in 2011 blah blah blah.." stuff make it pretty dull and often some quallity stuff gets missed due to the flame wars between posters ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:In spite of her blatant baiting, and at times frustratingly reasonable and pleasant demeanour, Sainter K should already be a mod.

She'd sort out all the potty mouths!

Saintbrat too.
OK I'll finally put it out there markp...something I've mentioned to you before.

The reasons I don't offer to moderate is that I'm admittedly a square. Some posters on here can't even post with out excessively using the f-bomb, some operate a little below the bar than I'm comfortable with. I'm a young woman, and like to think that in the 'real world' people would mind their manners with that in mind, especially in the knowledge that younger posters and ladies like to contribute and talk about footy as well.

Now I foe a lot of them, but if I had the power....yeah I'd sort out the potty mouths alright 8-)

I reckon I'd quickly get a reputation for being too strict, too inflexible....etc etc

What I will do though, is offer my services if they want to open up the forum again, I will ban any obvious opposition trolls and clean up their mess....so really, I'm offering to moderate opposition trouble makers. I'd also want nothing to do with the general forum....

You couldn't handle me other than that :P

Sobraz
SS Life Member

It does seem the site isn't as robust as it once was... Links to FB, twitter, youtube embedding etc may help... Just a general improve in the format and method..

Personally, I think it's a long bow to draw, unfair actually, to blame P66... Sure, he can get on ones nerves, s***s me every now and again, but generally posts on topic unless drawn off it by another... My one criticism of him is he must take every disagreement the distance, which can prove arduous.. I just skim those parts of the threads... But all in all, he's a good Saints man and member of this site who is part of what is good about it... Not the problem..

Agree SainterK would be highly valued as a mod tho, as mentioned earlier...

noob
Club Player

Let the forum to the public. Who cares if you get a few trolls.. makes it more interesting to be honest. I suppose the breaking news stories usually head to facebook or twitter first which doesn't always help.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

FQF wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:]

Correct, but not allowing unregistered peeps in sucks.

I think Facebook and Twitter are partly to blame also, as they are only getting more and more popular.

Also, standard newspaper websites are now interactive and have become their own mini forums.
Correct, there are a few things that spring to mind to increase the acitivity over here.

1. Open the forum up so unregistered people can read. Readers eventually turn into posters.

2. Make this forum more compatible to use on smartphones and tablets. At the moment, it is a nightmare to navigate unless you're on a computer.

3. A bit of simple advertising won't go astray. The Saintsational facebook page should be more active for a start, perhaps posting a link to certain threads on the main St Kilda page.
#1 OPEN THE FORUM UP FOR visitors VIEWING. FULLSTOP.

#2 I have NO problems with my android tablet & phone - what are you using?

#3 have always thought a rotating advert banner on the top of the page would help cover costs, crazy not to have it.

but facebook and SS are two very different beasts - its best not to try and mash them together

Seeya
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Agree with opening it up to general readers. I wouldn't ever have joined if I'd first had to register before having a read. That's a stupid policy.
I was reading for maybe six months before I decided to post myself and therefore join up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Let the forum to the public. Who cares if you get a few trolls.. makes it more interesting to be honest. I suppose the breaking news stories usually head to facebook or twitter first which doesn't always help.

yeah i think people dont like the sign up and log in thing.

i love the trolls.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:I for one miss the old days, Harvey's Deciple etc. Now days it just seems its all arguments against eachother :?
No it isn't!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
#gosaintas
Club Player

I read on this site almost every day. Have done for many years and I almost never post. I read all the crap between plugger and his foes, I get excited by the year ahead, I loved and hated Thommo, loved and hated Lyon/Lyin, stood in the animal enclosure, wathced all those GF's.

This year is going to be interesting. I can't wait.

GSG
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Saintsational is dying...

.... ghost forum of about 3 people slanging one another.

You just said it!!!

IMO some big current problems are:

* Virtually no moderation which means that some posters are allowed to endlessly trash threads (yes we all get worked up from time to time and write things best not, but there are some that way overdo it in thread after thread after thread) and that threads are allowed to go off tangent etc (unlike other forums).

* Closed forum which while keeping trollsters out may also be keeping out the fresh blood that any forum needs.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's those arseholes that hijack threads.... There's the problem!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Big footy is pretty quiet at the moment too. When the challenge stage has subsided only the true nut jobs come on during the off season. Once the footy starts we will either slide or glide and either one will have the half arsed fools back on. If we loose to the GCS we will have 800 pages of sack Scotty. careful what you wish for.