2013 retirements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

2013 retirements

Turns out ross Lyon was right and a little ahead of most of us.
This is no surprise given he's probably a top 5 coach in the Afl.

But the era. She is at a close dear friends.

Retirements for Lenny Milne Blakey and Kosi are inevitable at years end.

Vale brave saints. It was one heck of a ride..

And looking forward to the new breed of brave passionate exciting saints. Lets hope its not too distant that we are back up the top of the roller coaster.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2013 retirements

Con Gorozidis wrote:Turns out ross Lyon was right and a little ahead of most of us.

But the era. She is at a close fear friends.

I know a few will agree but again you have gone early. The exact same thing was said last year after round 2 by a few and you know what all are still playing. There is no point getting rid of 4 players like that if say Milne and Hayes end up having the same year or close to it as last year. You get rid of 4 and delist 4-5 and all of a sudden that is 9 picks to replace them. Might get one FA but you cant have 8 picks in the draft.

Cant people wait until at least round 12 especially for the champs of the club.

And if you get someone in FA they have to be very good. No point in getting just good 27 year olds into a rebuilding club. Its a waste.

Greg T
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Turns out ross Lyon was right and a little ahead of most of us.

But the era. She is at a close fear friends.

I know a few will agree but again you have gone early. The exact same thing was said last year after round 2 by a few and you know what all are still playing. There is no point getting rid of 4 players like that if say Milne and Hayes end up having the same year or close to it as last year. You get rid of 4 and delist 4-5 and all of a sudden that is 9 picks to replace them. Might get one FA but you cant have 8 picks in the draft.

Cant people wait until at least round 12 especially for the champs of the club.

And if you get someone in FA they have to be very good. No point in getting just good 27 year olds into a rebuilding club. Its a waste.
Your right Con,
But pluggers right too,if a few of those older lads are going well,keep them going,will be impossible to replace some of this talent we have.Lower and middle tier must step up now,then we will be competetive at least.Other teams have more worries than us...

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Carnival is over...for some that is certain

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Im surprised it took until round 2 Con...

This is normally an end of round 1 thread...

Step in up next year please..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Kosi and Blake are almost certain retirements.

Milne and Lenny would be 34 next year right?

I think it's likely that 3 out of those 4 will go at the end of season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SuperDuper
Club Player

they will all be gone next year, I agreee with Con on this one

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Still don't see how one could say

no point in recruiting a 27 yo player....

But then argue that we should resign 34yo players

Doesn't make sense to me.... SW will make a considered, not emotive decision...... If he doesn't ... He should not be coach

It's about the club not the individual. The fact that Lenny won the B&F last year was remarkable... But it also showed that we have nothing taking the mantle.. It was an indictment on the playing list. A bit like when Brad Johnson did the same in 2008 (he was gone at the end of 09)... The effort will remain from the champ, but the output will diminish ... Like it has for a thousand players before him.... That needs to accepted.

I would love him to play footy for 10 more years, perhaps then he might see the success he so richly deserves... But I am realistic, so would he be.

He is up there with Harvey and Riewoldt as the footballer I most admire..... He should be immortalised at StK IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Still don't see how one could say

Doesn't make sense to me.... SW will make a considered, not emotive decision...... If he doesn't ... He should not be coach

It's about the club not the individual. The fact that Lenny won the B&F last year was remarkable... But it also showed that we have nothing taking the mantle.. It was an indictment on the playing list. A bit like when Brad Johnson did the same in 2008 (he was gone at the end of 09)... The effort will remain from the champ, but the output will diminish ... Like it has for a thousand players before him.... That needs to accepted.

I would love him to play footy for 10 more years, perhaps then he might see the success he so richly deserves... But I am realistic, so would he be.

He is up there with Harvey and Riewoldt as the footballer I most admire..... He should be immortalised at StK IMO

It isnt that hard to understand. Those 34 year olds are still better than most 27 year olds so unless we get a star why just recruit a good 27 year old. None are likely to be AA or B&F like our old players were just 3 games ago. By all means get a star but if we were going to do that why would we get rid of BJ? it makes not one bit of sense.

So I take it there is no way you would have Fletcher in the Essendon side?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not if Essendon were in the same position as us....

I'd rather Tate Pears not be playing VFL... And hopefully developing into the defender required to make us a contender... If not, the next player....but They are having a crack at it...which is why they took BJ.... If they don't get there, the decision to not blood a tall defender .... Or if BJ pushes put a player or two.it will prove costly....Good luck to them

We were in the same position with Banger in 2007

And
We could not match the offer for BJ. 800K was over the limit.

Freed up space, could indeed land us a VG player, or in fact 2

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Some times there are players in their 30s that are much deserving of a spot in the an AFL side. There was a 38 year old bloke running around last weekend and well beating guys almost 20 years younger than him. Not sure about how Lennys heart will effect him but that aside he's missed 2 seasons with knee injuries so could that help extend his career? Maybe time for him to become an outside mid.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

34 year olds can be better than 27 year olds yes

Lenny was better than BJ last year..... Possibly this year..... Unlikely next year....? Less likely in 2015.....

I would suggest definitely in 2016... BJ will be 31, that's two years younger than Lenny is now....
He could possibly play another 2/3 after that.

Things can't always be measured in the moment.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey was at least 36 when he retitred in 2008 and still in the top two of our midfielders.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:34 year olds can be better than 27 year olds yes

Lenny was better than BJ last year..... Possibly this year..... Unlikely next year....? Less likely in 2015.....

I would suggest definitely in 2016... BJ will be 31, that's two years younger than Lenny is now....
He could possibly play another 2/3 after that.

Things can't always be measured in the moment.
Who is doubting that but he isnt with us and he is also a star. Can you explain why we would let him go and then get someone else probably not as good on FA for an overated price which we will have to pay because we are a bottom side.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rob was actually 37.

looking at B&F results he was behind Lenny, Dal and Joey in our midfield

Our list was different.... When asked what kept him going, he openly said that he believed the team could contend and he could hold his spot in that team. If there was not belief he would have retired at the end of 06 ..... But not when you have
Ball, Dal, Goddard, Roo, Kosi, Joey, Garm, Lenny, Fisher, Milne..... Wandering around the club.... That's some serious arsenal all at about 25-28

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Harvey was a fitness freak and as we know endurance was his strenght. Marathon runners peak at older ages so physically why cant older players still offer something if they are fit.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Marathon runners don't get pummelled or have to pummell others for 6 months of the year.

Few have suffered two recos and lay 6 tackles whilst running marathons.

Running doesn't take a huge toll on players. Injury does.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Robert Harvey was at least 36 when he retitred in 2008 and still in the top two of our midfielders.
5th in the B&F only behind Lenny as a midfielder.

In the brownlow though he only voted in one game and was behind
Hayes
Joey
Gram
Ball
Goddard

He polled 3 votes as did Dal.

Not bad for a 36 year old, but there were a few breathing down his neck. What a champ.

Did anyone see that wanker Scarlett talk about the incident with Harves in his last game with Mike Sheehan last night. Fair dinkum, if his eyes were any closer together his nickname would be Cyclops. What a moron. Does anyone have any inside info as to what Scarlett actually said to Harves. Monkey Boy says all he said was that Harvey was selfish and would never play in a premiership. He said he didn't say anything to him after the game but Harvey refused to shake his hand. Surprised Scarlett can remember back that far with all of his off field hobbies.

BigMart wrote:Marathon runners don't get pummelled or have to pummell others for 6 months of the year.

Few have suffered two recos and lay 6 tackles whilst running marathons.

Running doesn't take a huge toll on players. Injury does.

Have to agree with that. Ran 8 myself with only one injury. Knee is rooted now though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't just talking about that years B&F

2006-2008... We had some players injured in those seasons...

He was behind Dal who'd been AA and 4th in 2 awards
Joey had been a RU
Lenny had been a dual AA and B&F
Also Ball had done the same

Harves was still a good player... He was in the end, playing off the bench.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Retirements for Lenny Milne Blakey and Kosi are inevitable at years end.
Totally agree.

Hopefully one of these blokes won't try to scratch and fight and yap his way out of the inevitable changing of the guard...Time for the next group of players and future leaders to take this club forward

gringo
Saintsational Legend

But the era. She is at a close dear friends.

Vale brave saints. It was one heck of a ride..

And looking forward to the new breed of brave passionate exciting saints. Lets hope its not too distant that we are back up the top of the roller coaster.

just like Lyon when he retired Bakes with out telling him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I reckon CJ will finish up this year, despite his current form...

Ray & Milera might be looking for new homes too.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agree dragit

I don't reckon we wanted to let Brendon go..... But as I've said before, 800k too much. Personally, I would have moved heaven and Earth to keep him.... A star in his prime.

I only used BJ as an example... It's the case for any free agent. They have a possible 6 seasons of good footy in them

Would not pay more than 500k
Having said that 500 will get you a VG player

Many good players floating around on less.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Still don't see how one could say

Entirely different situations......and let's not do a Melb please by sacking all of our leaders.

And lets us not over exagerate the situation. We only have 2 players that may be 34 net year. One of both may be gone. But you could understand why they may keep Lenny fora year or two more as e is a great role model. Milne will depend on form...though I am guessing the abundance of small forwards will limit his days with us.

Kosi will be gone. Blake IMO will be too.

7 Hayes, Lenny 265 33yr 2mth 14 Jan 1980 186cm 85kg Pennant Hills Midfield
44 Milne, Stephen 260 33yr 1mth 8 Mar 1980 176cm 83kg Dandenong Stingrays Forward

27 Blake, Jason 214 32yr 15 Mar 1981 189cm 91kg Beaumaris Defender
25 Fisher, Sam 183 30yr 8mth 10 Jul 1982 191cm 94kg West Adelaide Defender

23 Koschitzke, Justin 195 30yr 6mth 20 Sep 1982 197cm 97kg Murray Bushrangers Forward
12 Riewoldt, Nick 240 30yr 5mth 17 Oct 1982 193cm 96kg Southport Forward

11 Montagna, Leigh 192 29yr 5mth 2 Nov 1983 178cm 78kg Northern Knights Midfield
24 Dempster, Sean 142 29yr 2mth 20 Jan 1984 191cm 87kg Gippsland Power Defender
4 Jones, Clinton 116 29yr 2mth 2 Feb 1984 183cm 83kg South Fremantle Midfield
26 Dal Santo, Nick 240 29yr 1mth 22 Feb 1984 185cm 85kg Bendigo Pioneers Midfield
13 Schneider, Adam 196 28yr 10mth 12 May 1984 175cm 79kg Osborne Forward

BigMart wrote: Doesn't make sense to me.... SW will make a considered, not emotive decision...... If he doesn't ... He should not be coach
SW and CP did....which is what they LET BJ leave.

** salary cap room means we can net year trade/A in a youngish (ie 22) very good mid.

** We turned his compensation pick into multiple picks = will rebuild us quicker. Not all will make it, but 3 gives us good odds.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....